On a scale from 1 to 10, how hard would it be to Frankenstein a desktop graphics card unto a notebook motherboard?

On a scale from 1 to 10, how hard would it be to Frankenstein a desktop graphics card unto a notebook motherboard?

Other urls found in this thread:

ipc2u.de/catalog/arp970-15wc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

∞/10

Wow

STOP

>notebooks have different sockets based on the gpu model
>amount of vram, kind of vram, vram speeds wont match
>lacking a bunch of chips on the motherboard a desktop would need, that are different in a laptop
>gpu is soldered on the motherboard
>desktop gpus become way too hot for such small contraptions
>laptop cant supply enough power for the gpu
>…
literally impossible, replacing a laptop gpu with the exact same model is already around a 7 in difficulty

Good, I like a challenge.

Is it impossible though?

Well, have fun wasting money.

12/10

Probably all you need to do is to feed the videocard correctly and find PCI-E lanes on the Motherboard and somehow hijack em.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how much of a fag is OP?

If the motherboard has thunderbolt, not difficult at all. There are enclosures for this.

Yes. Even if you succeed (you won't), by the time you're done you won't have a laptop anymore. You'll need to have redone almost every aspect of it

OP retardedly said unto the motherboard. He wants to replace for example a gt750m gpu with a gtx 1080ti gpu

it's impossible, you'd have to add a PCIe into the mobo and modify firmware (which is impossible - you'd need to replace it with Libreboot or something like that and probably write a lot of extra low level code to make it work), not to mention the fact that connecting it would be extremely difficult and would require extensive knowledge of hardware

Purchase an external GPU.

>implying that wouldn't be impressive as fuck

I mean you could technically just run it to the minipcie for the wireless card. At that point the gpu would be running at x1 speeds though, and you would still have to find a way to power it.

Buy an external GPU.

no thunderbolt though

pretty fucking hard, you'd need to jury-rig a viable connection between the card and the MB, with a separate power source because the MB probably wont be able to handle the load, flash a custom MB firmware with enough tweaks you might as well write it from scratch, not to mention other hardware modifications the MB will need.

in essence, you'd be rebuilding a completely different MB out of the old one, so other than technical bragging rights, its really not an efficient endeavor.

If you don't care about it remaining a notebook (in which case, why the fuck bother, just get a desktop) about 8/10, depending on model of notebook.

If you do want it to remain usable as a portable machine, 11/10.

Why would you even want that?

None at all. Thunderbolt 3 and have fun.

>implying i implied it wouldn't be
It totally would be, but it would be a theseus' laptop type of deal

Just build your own "laptop".

No idea why his or a similar formfactor isn't more popular among MUH GAYME crowd buying into the shitty gaming laptop meme. It does solve a lot of problems with them.

I think I will

how much is that thing even worth alone?

probably doable if you can identify the traces of a pci-e lane
like say if the laptop had descrete graphics, that subsystem must be attached via pci-e somewhere, if you can find the traces, you could cut them, and wire them up to an alternate gpu
you'll need to use an external power supply for the new gpu though, of course

no track point, NO THANKS

The latest gayman laptops have full desktop GPUs in them already. I tried a laptop with GTX 1070 in recently, it's no heavier than a laptop 4-5 years ago. The only real problem that plagues gayman laptops is they sound like jet engines

cant you buy a chassis and just connect the gpu externally? pretty sure ive seen that done.

ipc2u.de/catalog/arp970-15wc

A lot.

Mpcie?

Stop being a poorfag and get a desktop
You can't squeeze more life into a laptop

It is doable with thunderbolt
Dont listen to these tech faggots who think the best thing in the workd climbed out of their asses

For the underage faggots in thus thread
Silverstone ml08 with a laptop lcd and a keyboard+mouse

>
>Mpcie?
That is pcie 1x speed. Enjoy your 750 geforce speeds

Expresscard to AGP
otherwise blindfolded gentoo/10

Not impobru but not impossibru

I want reddit to leave

The hardware part sounds like a job for Louis Rossman :^)

Fist you would have to find the PCIe traces(odds are there wont be a full 16x) and essentially wire them to a PCIe riser. Job done, not stop asking stupid questions.

Just Google "DIY external GPU".

Not that hard really if you have mPCIe connector on the motherboard.

1. All you have to do is pick up a Mini PCI-e to PCI-e adapter and you're good.