Does anyone here have nice audio equipment

Other urls found in this thread:

walkman-archive.com/articles/thoughts-about-boomboxes-01.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Same, K-8

kawaii af

silver = black > wood for hifi

it looks nice but is that hifi?

I have a UMC204HD and SC-88 as part of my audio workstation setup, and my apartment is so small it's also my stereo (thanks mpd).

/
Provided the sound quality was good, why wouldn't it be?

>Just ask Chris.

"boomboxes" get shit on but aren't the higher end ones actually really good

I have more stuff in mothballs or on the work bench.

Can you guys help me?, I want to setup a 2.1 system for my bedroom tv but the waifu don't want a receiver as it's too big, i'm thinking on buying the smsl q5 but i'm open to suggestions

Wood+silver > Black > Glossy/Piano Black == Silver

DIY 2.1 TPA3116 (2x50w+1x100w) + ~250w 24v PSU
Mount it in a box that can be attached to the VESA mounts on the back of your TV (unless TV is already wall mounted then get creative an hide it somewhere else)

define "higher end". I have a modern sony "boombox" with a 10" woofer (and supports their hi-res audio crap) but I still don't see how those things would be high end at all.

Thanks

If you get one of those master/slave 'smart' powerboards, you could even have it switch on automagically when you turn the tv on.

Yes.
I have the golden ears.

Nice, but not high end stuff. Most of it I got for nothing or next to it and refurbed them.
(Speakers)

(amps and receivers)

f'n rotate

If I fuck this up one more time, and i'm bringing a toaster in the shower with me.

iphone users

How do you refurb stuff?

Any chance I could get some help figuring out what's wrong with my JVC AX-44 stereo? :x

I have a DVMM, but I don't currently own a soldering iron (might buy one, though, if the diag and fix is easy enough)

Not sure how to define it without you listening to some, but an all-in-one system isn't by definition more inferior to a stereo amplifier and speakers, since that equipment could be garbage and people wouldn't have a problem referring to that as hifi simply based on visuals.

If interested though,
walkman-archive.com/articles/thoughts-about-boomboxes-01.html

If you don't even know how to use a soldering iron, you're hopeless. Bring it to a repair shop.

I bought a rare *tape* (singular) a few months ago for $80. Still looking for a nice chrome capable dolby deck to listen to it on. Only have walkmans atm. Tape prices are going up.

Is this the audiofool thread?

It's not a museum piece but it gets the job done.

>39 year old capacitors
>sounds fine to me

What tape? What walkmans?

Just got this last month.

Market is too small to say. It was from 1983 though.

What market is too small? You can't reveal what tape you spent that much on or what players you own?

Boring.

What's Hi-Fi? 100dB S/N Ratio? If that's the case, it only came out after CDs. Your retro receiver looks Real Cool, but everything before CD was referenced to the Best Quality available at the time: FM. And that's 50dB S/N. Sorry Boss - it looks Cool, but a Jawbone Jambox will sound better. Just wait till you find out about Hi-Def Audio!

It's pretty straight forward stuff. Most of them just needed a good cleaning inside and out, deoxing the controls, tightening up connections and fasteners, replacing a few burned out bulbs, and measuring and adjusting DC bias. If any special components (I/C's or unique output transistors) are shot, then it's generally not worth restoring.
So far, the only one that needed new caps was the Hitachi at the bottom.

Good, then this still counts

What seems to be the trouble with it?

I'd wager a TPA3116 with a linear PSU instead of switchmode would whoop most any of the amps posted here and probably cost less than $100 all said and done.
Pair it with an XMOS dac and you've 32bit/384khz audio at >104db snr from usb/spdif to speakers for under $200.

Not to mention that older amps use shitloads of power idle - A bridged TPA3116 (for ~150w @4ohm mono) uses less than 1watt with no input and in a subwoofer usage case will use less than 10watts to fill a house...

Yes, I love me some TPA3116s, they're my new favourite chip after TK2050+STA508/510.

Is this just a board you make an amp with or something? Can you buy amps with it already installed?

It's a chip - but yes you can buy lots of diy amp boards off ebay/aliexpress, some better some worse.
You can also buy full made amps, in cases ready to go, they quite often go linear rather than switchmode (for the uninitiated, if you see a big-ass coil next to the power input - that's part of linear psu, it's uses a transformer coil to drop voltage and a rectifier to go from ac-dc)
'crappy' (poorly made) switchmodes combined with poorer designed amp boards can add switiching noise to the output (since a switchmode PSU works by switching a diode on and off at many hundred/thousands of Hz to make a new voltage on the other side, whether it be AC or DC)

Aliexpress is great for finding cheap quality amps and cloned amps (lots of headphone amps have been cloned with cheap but equal quality reproductions without the markup)

>but everything before CD was referenced to the Best Quality available at the time: FM
What? Do you even understand anything about how amplifiers and such are tested? Either you're talking out of your ass, or I need some clarification. I think that it's the first one.

The thing about aliexpress is that the quality is pretty hit or miss. A lot of the cheaper amps either lie or use deceiving numbers simply because they know that no one is going to check or care if it is cheap enough.

Is a DAT walkman hifi

I know how to use a soldering iron. Not that I'm particularly experienced with one, but I know how to use one.

I have a feeling it might be a bad mosfet? But, I don't know how to go about diagnosing this stuff, so I can't really say. Visually, all the internals appear to be fine. Fuse is good, no popped caps, no burned components, no obviously broken or damaged traces/wire/etc. But I'll pull it out and take a pic in a little while. Maybe you'll see something I missed.

It powers on, but no longer outputs audio. It's been a few months since I last played with it, so I don't remember whether or not it even displays input on the amplitude/input meter.

The best guess I have is that I was woken up one night by a loud bang - even my dogs, which happened to be in my room, seemed confused. I thought something had fallen, but didn't find anything. Over the following few days, there was a faint smell of burnt plastic/electronics. But I couldn't find the source

>no tape

dam

I'd passed out with the stereo on, so yeh. Figured that was the source of the noise and smell. But again, the smell was pretty faint.

also wew, i knew that had to be some downside to using this old stereo system. It certainly gets toasty even when left idling for a few hours.

Okay. Here's a few pics. Excuse my piss poor photo skills/shitty camera. Tried to make them a lil' clearer in Lightroom

dude that door only leads to certain death

Okay. Just plugged it back in and powered it on. Faint plastic smell is definitely back. Seems to be towards the front of the unit. That standing brown heatsink is hot as fuck, if that indicates anything. Not sure if that's the source of the smell.

And then front and back just for reference.

So, I plugged my phone in via the CD/aux connectors, and the unit doesn't seem to recognize any input. iirc, it doesn't matter if it's from the CD/Aux, the phonograph, the tape, nor the AM/FM tuner.

Yeah, I have Revox B77.

Looks like that mosfet is labled BQ802 on the board. B941A on the part itself?

Have this old str-d1015 receiver and mission m33 speakers but to be honest I only listen to music on shitty phone+v4a+bt headphones.

What exactly is the problem?

See >It powers on, but no longer outputs audio.
Doesn't appear to recognize any inputs. Faint smell of burning electronics. Not entirely sure which component it's from.

Very nice.

This triggers Sup Forums

>but aren't the higher end ones actually really good
No, because they are mostly made with thin-walled plastic cases that vibrates on higher volumes and distorts the sound.
There are monitors with plastic cases, but they are really thick-walled, i.e. you can build good speakers with plastic cases, but at this point of material costs you might as well use wood products.

Looks pretty.

t. never heard a high end stereo

Sansui SC 1100 reporting in!

I know you didn't, but what has that to do with my text.

Subwoofer I've bought yesterday arrived.

My full set up:
Speakers are some technics, don't remember the model name
Woofer is canton AS 10
Amplituner is Yamaha RX-V459

Why do you have meme reel to reel cassette inside