Windows is losing in phone market

>windows is losing in phone market
>windows is losing in tablet market
>windows is losing in embedded market
>windows is losing in server market
>the only market windows is winning in is the desktop

You had one job. Just one. Make the linux desktop. Why did you fail?

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9350-laptop-ubuntu
youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U
youtube.com/watch?v=ONI0zfEnBPU
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/07/28/windows-subsystem-for-linux-out-of-beta/
youtu.be/AWZvwhwT1Sk
system76.com/
zdnet.com/article/linux-foundation-finds-enterprise-linux-growing-at-windows-expense/
youtu.be/5Qj8p-PEwbI
youtu.be/yXr8bqzf45Y
youtu.be/1hnI6KGTfjI
youtu.be/rMfl-SnlKeI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

GNU/Linux on the desktop has increased 150% in the past two years. It was 1% in 2015 and now it is 2.5%. Mac is 3.5% for reference. And these are people who installed a new OS by their own volition. Eventually, GNU/Linux will be a big player. Sage for bad thread that's been made 10 million times.

It's not enough to ask people to install linux. Casuals are too dumb to reinstall their os. We have to get them to sell computers that come with linux.

That will be the year of the linux desktop is when you go to buy a computer it comes with a unix based os.

>We have to get them to sell computers that come with linux.
Dell used to offer Ubuntu and it failed. Or was dell just uber hipster and did it before it was cool? Is dell dare I say, /our guys/?

Dell is actually still selling XPS models with Ubuntu preinstalled. It's called the 'Developer Edition'.

dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9350-laptop-ubuntu

d00d linux users don't want it to become mainstream. You don't notice everything they do goes against that!? They just say that so it can be like david vs goliath. RAWW RAWW DOWN WITH MS

Lonix doesn't have one thing that people buy Windows for, MUH GAYMEN

This is the crux of the issue. People won't use linux because muh games how am I gonna play muh games poor me.

This is the biggest hurdle with linux.

Once we get to the point where linux is sold on all main computers then people will naturally write lots of applications for linux such as games.

The trick is getting to that point.

Because windows is more popular people write games for windows and because people write games for windows games only work on windows and because games only work on windows windows is more popular and because windows is more popular people write games for windows and so on and so forth. it's a vicious cycle.

We have to end that cycle somehow. I don't know how. But it has to be done.

Went from 3 users to 4.

Just 2 years.

>2.5% of billions
>4 users

what really sucks is that people still insist on using DX11/12 rather than the obviously superior and cross platform Vulcan

>>the only market windows is winning in is the desktop
>Winning
Lol

A lot used to do that or are still doing it

If they can't install a new OS how do they upgrade to a new version of Windows?

Windows is winning in the laptop market too, right?

>If they can't install a new OS how do they upgrade to a new version of Windows?

Unless you do a clean install (which most people probably don't) installing Linux is harder if you don't have experience doing such things.

>tfw Windows 7 Enterprise on work/gayman PC (would drop Windows and gaymes if work software wasn't proprietary)
>OpenIndiana on everything else
Comfy as fuck.

>windows mobile
>personal compute device sales
nice graph shitstain

>We have to end that cycle somehow. I don't know how. But it has to be done.
Only through retro-compatibility. Wine is at the task for more than 20 years and yet have the hardest of times running complex and recent software. Win32 API is such a clusterfuck, don't even think about writing your own implementation from scratch...

No way dude. It won't become mainstream. I can't imagine helping my friends who use windows to learn linux. Even setting up a vm and a shared folder would freak them out the odd windows application they might need. They're better off with windows and mac and a service industry to fix the steaming pile periodically. I can get a windows user back on track for a while. I'd have to literally use their computer for them if they were using linux. It was made by enthusiasts for enthusiasts and it really shouldn't be dumbed down any further.

The graph shows the rise of mobile devices implying the fall of pc dominance and microsoft relevance since it didn't flourish in mobile devices and less people are using pc's. My explanation probably didn't help but I felt like trying anyway.

It's coming bros
youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U
youtube.com/watch?v=ONI0zfEnBPU

Remember when they said Tablet and Phones was going to kill PC?
Then Microsoft released Surface pro, Surface Book and Surface studio and their partners (HP, Asus, Dell, etc) followed..

Lack of games is only a problem for young males.
I think that the biggest problem is that people are just too afraid of a new computing environment (a famous "dumb girl with Ubuntu" video). Even chromebooks come with tools that are familiar to people like google drive, docs, etc. Plus, I rember that when manufactures tried to sell Ubuntu to masses - they just couldn't come up with a selling point. Now it's easier - you make your marketing campaign around 1984 and how windows and macos don't respect your freedom and right for privacy. Also Linux distros are not that rough around the edges as they use to be so I think they have a chance to have a biggier marketahare.

GNU/Linux won't be mainstream until it will have support for most used proprietory software. But having proprietory software kinda beats the purpose of this system in the first place
If everything in Linux world will be closed and not free than what's the point to switch to it from Windows?

Netbooks first emerge and have linux preinstalled. MS see this and offer those manufacturers XP licenses.
Chromebooks are released, their appeal to manufacturers being the OS doesn't need a license cost. MS offer them Windows 8 with Bing, that has no license cost.
Dell release Ubuntu on a developer laptop edition. MS put a linux subsystem in Windows 10.

They're fighting pretty hard to keep the desktop market away from linux.

Microsoft is working on exactly that.

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/07/28/windows-subsystem-for-linux-out-of-beta/

Well they can with Ubuntu and more Steam games being able to play it thanks to their support of Linux. We just need to convince everyone that if you make the switch that it will work no problem.

Oh no.

youtu.be/AWZvwhwT1Sk

Actually if you were to show your friends this video and the potential it has especially with Vulkan at the helm. It's possible to become a better alternative down the road.

Why do you guys act like people are retards for wanting their games to work?

the problem is that all of linux benefits are an implicit product of its obscurity and (relative) difficulty of setting up vs. windows

more normies using linux means:

0. less functionality as features are stripped away or hidden to make sure the normies don't break it

1. more telemetry (aka spyware) as distro maintainers become real companies - they will need funding to maintain their operations, and they will need usage statistics to get this funding

2. more malware that works on linux because there are more dumb people using it and it gets a bigger market share. this is especially problematic because there is guaranteed to be a cornucopia of vulnerabilities as linux has been hacked and cobbled together by hundreds of people who weren't being paid.

+ probably more shit i can't think of right now

now it's most likely that this all happens to babby distros like ubuntu, mint, debian, etc. and there will always be other stuff like gentoo, arch, whatever for the true powerusers, but the linux community stands to gain nothing from more people using it.

remember that when windows first came out, it was a funky new system that only powerusers knew how to install and use. linux becoming a real player in the OS market may be fun for a while but in doing so they will already be on the road to where microsoft is currently flailing and shitting itself.

Remainder that Ubuntu gained momentum back in 2010, when they shipped CDs and some normies started using it and just when they started to get used to it Gnome 3/Unity happened and it all went to shit as expected.
Dumb sluts/kids where in love with compiz wobbly windows, desktop zoom to view thumbnails in restricted sites and stuff like that

Mark my words, if Windows eventually becomes unusable due to malware or some botnet scandal and normies start switching to linux to try it out, Gnome 4 will be out to make shure to fuck things up even more.
Devs seem to just hate having users. The no-thumbnail-on-preview thing is a MAJOR turnoff to anyone I tried to convert to linux. And KDE is not an option when it has a 50/50 chance that it will kill apps and/or freeze randomly on certain setups since plasma 4

Your mom would be able to use Google/Linux such as Android or Chromebook, but any GNU thing without your 24/7 support?

Because you have to be a retard to continue supporting this anti-consumer industry. I respect GOG, though.

You must be new as fuck here.

>0. less functionality as features are stripped away or hidden to make sure the normies don't break it
Nobody is going to strip the Linux kernel from features. If you mean that some distros might "lock it down" somewhat, it's already happened and it's not popular (look up Chrome/Gentoo).

>1. more telemetry (aka spyware) as distro maintainers become real companies - they will need funding to maintain their operations, and they will need usage statistics to get this funding
Nothing is keeping us autists from making a secure distro, since it's free like FREEDOM

>2. more malware that works on linux because there are more dumb people using it and it gets a bigger market share. this is especially problematic because there is guaranteed to be a cornucopia of vulnerabilities as linux has been hacked and cobbled together by hundreds of people who weren't being paid.
First, dumb people getting viruses is their problem.
Second, you don't even know who Linus Torvalds is, so don't spew bullshit about who develops the Linux kernel.
Multi-billion dollar organizations like Intel, RedHat, Samsung, Google, are contributing to it in many ways.

Apart from the software support from Adobe and Autodesk some people need, GNU/Linux distros are more suited for daily desktop/laptop use than Windows.
Installing the more popular distros is easy as fuck, the problem is that Microsoft is paying companies to preinstall Windows on the computers that they make.

Ubuntu is moving back to Gnome, so that's a good thing.

And I doubt they will move away from the tablet UI that they've made, since SJWs have taken over Gnome.

Yeah, in that price range you should thank Apple not Micropajeet.

>use windows ever since 95
>never used anything else ever, except for a short time when I had to use Mint at a job
>windows 10 comes out
>happy to upgrade
>it doesn't work
>the whole os is creepy as fuck, breaks every update, keeps changing my partition formats and shilling Microsoft's bloatware
>update one day, it installs a bunch of stuff like candy crush on my computer
>I keep telling myself it will be ok
>next update is broken as fuck, can't install and keeps rebooting every few hours, my bluetooth stops working too
>Pajeet MS support guy is clueless, even though few hundred other people have the same preoblem, he just directs everybody to a forum discussing a completely unrelated problem
>I just installed Debian and then switched to Arch a few weeks later
>sure as fuck I'm never going back, fuck Microsoft and their Pajeet employees.

I can't believe people are still happy to use this shit. Installing and using Debian was much easier than Windows. The drivers are even easier to get working under arch than this pile of shit.

Also I told everybody using windows in my family that Im going to upgrade their computers and installed debian/ubuntu on them. My wife shwitched to arch a while ago too. Nobody ever noticed any change, and they are calling me less with problems.

Even if they keep their crippled tablet UI, they will still fuck everything up when gtk4 arrives and we will have to wait 2+ years for it to become usable.
It happens every time

Lots of laptops and computers come with Linux pre-installed. Plus, Google's ChromeOS is Linux. Linux desktop will soon happen and the marketshare will rise.

Gaming is a non-issue. Sure it's a large market but less than a third desktop users give a shit about games, let alone windows exclusive games. And casual games have been moved from browsers to android/iOS so normies are left untouched if they move from windows to linux as far as entertainment goes, especially since lots of casual games are on Linux already.
As for "professional use" (Photoshop, videoediting, etc.), even less people give a shit about that. Normies never needed anything more than paint.exe and I seriously doubt even 5% windows users have Photoshop installed let alone use it. KolourPaint is a decent alternative for paint, GIMP or Krita for more advanced shit. And if Linux had more than 4% marketshare I'm sure Photoshop would be ported to it.

This literally wouldn't change a thing, here's why:
0. Normies will be given Ubuntu as a choice, most likely. Linux being open source means you can still make a more linux enthusiast fork of it or just stick with another linux base like SUSE, Fedora or Arch. Especially Arch because it isn't developed by a company unlike Ubuntu, Fedora and SUSE.
1. Telemetry doesn't always mean spyware and it will be regulated by the community too. See how Ubuntu had Amazon spyware for only a year before turning it off by default, and it was the only distro and only Unity DE had it (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME and MATE were unaffected). Plus, linux enthusiasts had a choice of a minimal install for custom packages.
2. Malware is already made for Linux because it's THE OS for servers and servers have more money than normies who dick around on Facebook. Malware is again, not an issue. Even on windows it gets patched fast after discovery. Most malware nowadays are scam software and sites and nothing can protect people without common senseā„¢.

>system76.com/

These guys have made a business out of selling lunix laptops. So it's out there.

Their laptops are overpriced. Desktops seem fine.

When you're trying to shill a platform and your response to someone saying it won't do what they want it to do is "you just don't need it you stupid NORMIE go back to facebook," you should take a break from regurgitating bullshit the faggots in /fglt/ forcefed you and think for a moment what the fuck it actually offers to them other than a bunch of internet lolbertarian buzzwords.

In the mainstream, Linux is that piece of unpolished, unsupported garbage that goes on the lowest of the low-end netbooks and entry-level desktops so OEMs can save a dime. It doesn't run any software you're buying a computer with the intention of running. It doesn't do anything different that you care for. It offers fuck all, and that's the current problem with it. It doesn't stand out, it doesn't have anything that makes you need or want it.

As long as things remain this way, nobody is going to give a shit about it. It may grow a little bit here and there, but like the far more polished, positively received and better-marketed Mac, it's going to remain irrelevant.

You're terribly misinformed, pajeet.

"p-pajeet please... I didn't have a pasta for that..."
This is why you're irrelevant. Go back to the_donald.

>Losing in server market

active directory would say otherwise. and no, talking about how godaddy and other sites use linux for hosting is not a valid argument

>GNU/Linux on the desktop has increased 150% in the past two years. It was 1% in 2015 and now it is 2.5%. Mac is 3.5% for reference.
That is not how proportions work sweety.

>If they can't install a new OS how do they upgrade to a new version of Windows?

They just click the big shiny "update" button or take it to geek squad

>Chrome OS
This is why its GNU, not Linux.
This is why its Windows, not DOS nor NT.

I've never used it so I thought it was GNU with Chrome instead of a desktop environment.

Most mainstream Linux adaptations are the kernel with botnet added that barely have any of the characteristics of "real" Linux systems

are you literally gonna argue that windows is winning in the server market.

zdnet.com/article/linux-foundation-finds-enterprise-linux-growing-at-windows-expense/

Yeah check your facts friend

youtu.be/5Qj8p-PEwbI
I remember when this happened

1+1.5 is not 150%, it increased by 1.5% dipshit

youtu.be/yXr8bqzf45Y

youtu.be/1hnI6KGTfjI

youtu.be/rMfl-SnlKeI

There you go now you can switch over.

Shit away ... kek

this is wrong

chromebooks count as linux in the stats you cite

desktop linux is still as shite as ever

this, windows server, as hellish as it is to sysadmin, is used most places where work is actually done that have any legacy element older than 1999

sucks but its reality

Why don't people realize the biggest advantage of Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android are that they're commercially supported and its easy to find official help if you need it? Linux only has Canonical to help newbs really, and they have less resources than someone like Microsoft or Google.

>1% in 2015 and now it is 2.5%
>will be a big player

haha fucking ANIME'D that nerd, son

Great it figures they use the Linux kernel directly that's completely tied to nsa

Notice how they show a laptop and not a desktop

>Whole office is running Windows 10
>My laptop & desktop are running Win10
>Majority of servers we use run Linux
Linux will always dominate the server market, and never touch the desktop market.

so the pajeets are paid by soros, too
good business you have there

Even Microsoft uses GNU/Linux for their servers.
That should tell you enough about the server market.

>desktop linux is still as shite
Nice facts you're throwing there, you just made me install Micro-Soft Penis on my """"tower""" :^)

>never touch the desktop market
Is that what the growth of GNU/Linux desktop market share tells you?

People don't give a shit about what dx even is, microshaft is the ones try to push it so they won't lose market share

I wouldn't like Linux to be mainstream.

>windows is losing in phone market
Yes
>windows is losing in tablet market
Yes
>windows is losing in embedded market
Sure
>windows is losing in server market
lmao what

You're forgetting RHEL and SUSE.

>>windows is losing in server market
>lmao what
You're right. It's not losing. It has already lost.

I don't think you can call anybody a winner.
Linux has utterly failed on the server market.
Linux is failing on the phone market.
Linux has failed on the tablet market.

Linux is doing well on the desktop.
I have used it for about 10 years now and all the issues I had when I started has been resolved. There is nothing that could make me want to switch away to something else.

The biggest problem we have right now is a huge increase in developers who don't want to learn how to program.
They are typically referred to as webdevs.
Android is a failure because the only people who are dumb enough to waste time on that is webdevs.
The gold rush of app development where you could make a java frontend to a website is gone.
The server market is failing because nobody knew how to take advantage of the situation.
Even among the linux crowd, running a server is a niche hobby only a fool would do.
Even webdevs who you would think would want to do it would rather sign up for a service where someone else deals with the server.

60% of computers are fagbook machines. By taking ground in the social media/old cunt who only checks emails and googled shit, you'll up your market share and push software developers to support your platform. Just saying that we need to get Linux to support games is fucking retarded because you're not offering any real solution.

Linux devs were too busy driving microsoft out of phone, tablet, embedded and server market.

many governments use windows servers so they will earn lots of money from those for a long time.

Dumb 12 year old Anime girls would never understand the concept.

If Linux has an adoption of more than 3.5% that would make it more relevant than MacOS itself. Thus it will make Normies believe that it is much easier and fun. It has potential to cause a landslide due to how many users put up with Windows 10 and do not like it.

Lastly it is even easier than ever to install Linux and you can even dual boot or even better you can use it as a desktop(persistent boot storage) on a 32gb USB. Soon enough it will be one click and switch.

>>windows is losing in tablet market
non-windows tablets are shit tho

Fear of NSA backdoors is leading Russia and several middle eastern countries to completely drop Microsoft for GNU plus Linux

You are retarded. The population of linux pc's has gone up 150%

admittedly windows tablets are better now because they have a full desktop os on them but the problem is there are no goddamn apps available on windows tablet cause nobody wants to use the windows app store cause it's horseshit