/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

NON-GAY-WEEABOO EDITION!

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

this thread is a joke, sage

this is the only real /tpg/

Kya faggot

I want a laptop with a good screen and at least a 4th gen CPU, what should I get?

Don't type on me or my wife's son's laptop ever again

hey guys what is your favorite gay anime everyone in Sup Forums is a raging homosex am i right

acer e15 great battery, two gpus, i5, $300-500

>4th gen CPU

80486?

So guys, I have a dilemma.
Lenovo ThinkPad W550s
15.6" / 2880 x 1620 / IPS / non touch / Intel Core i7-5600U / 8GB RAM DDR3 / 500 GB (HDD) / NVIDIA - Quadro K620

or
DELL Latitude E5570 (5570-8108)
15.6" / 1920 x 1080 / Intel Core i7 / 8GB RAM DDR4 / 500 GB (HDD) / AMD R7

Both are priced the same and both come with windows 7 (because of work I will have to dual boot)

I am leaning towards the W550s, it has a better display and according to some reviews battery lasts longer. Sadly it is also bigger and heavier. Do you guys have some details about the build quality?

Thanks mates!

I got an X220 for free, after looking at all potential upgrades, it would run me about ~$300 (unless I can find cheaper alternatives) for:
>i7-2620M board
>256GB SSD
>8GB RAM
>IPS screen

Would you say its worth it?

>i7
Not worth it desu senpai

I want a Thinkpad, but thanks.

Intel's 4th gen level

really? The CPU runs pretty hot while idle so I figured I'd just upgrade. Maybe its just dust

Just clean your fan out and apply new thermal paste and you should be fine. If you really need that usb 3.0 port the i7 board has the go for it. But you can always get a usb 3.0 express card

What will you do once XX20/XX30 series ThinkPads are too slow to use for daily computing?

I'm still on Penryn. I reckon I'll be dead before my Sandy Bridge Thinkpads stop doing what I need them to.

I'll think about it when a sandybridge quadcore and 16GB of RAM is not enough

I mean only reason I don't use my x201 anymore is because the battery is dead and it did everything I used it for. So I guess I'll stick to my x220 until the battery is dead.

Is it true that I could spill hot liquids on my X220 and not kill it?

>not replacing the battery

Just cum in a towel like everyone else.

I mean I could but why would when I have another laptop

My Thinkpad is for traveling, I mean if some retard at an airport spills their pumpkin spice latte or whatever the fuck.

I meant when your X220 dies.

Even my c2d t60 is more than enough for everything.

I hate using dell so much, it is like a big heavy brick that is nothing but dead weight

I'd go with the Dell Latitude. It's a good build quality and doesn't come with the limitations of Lenovo. Running Linux on a Lenovo T/W series is always a gamble.

>waiting for seller to ship x230
this is gonna be a long week/weekend

>Intel's 4th gen level
that's still 486

So guys I got my first X220 in the mail yesterday. To my surprise it had a IPS screen so I got a X220 w/ a 160 GB SSD, 4GB of RAM, and IPS pannel for $139. The seller said the screen was perfect, yet when I got it it has slight ghosting and a small white mark (only noticeable on black backgrounds.) Should I return it /tpg/?

>doesn't come with the limitations of Lenovo
What might these be? I see you shills have gone to the level of flat out lying now.

Stop being a faggot.
You're an hour late dipshit

Latitudes/Precisions use MXM slotted GPUs instead of soldered, and since Dell also owns Alienware they tend to be compatible with higher-end GPUs. I think the P70/P71 is the only MXM Thinkpad, and Thinkpads tend to be pretty restrictive about non-factory components.

in case you haven't noticed, this is currently the only /tpg/
The gay one died

If it's free... it's worth it. Anything FREE is worth it.

Where do people buy new thinkpands from in Germany?

>install Mandrake 7.0 on T23
>screen resolution goes down to 640x480 and can't alter it
>try to change it in the BIOS
>either makes it 640x480 in a small square in the middle of the screen or stretches the picture out towards the edges of the screen, still in 640x480
Has this happened to anyone else?

I wouldn't get the i7 upgrade but if you need the extra power...
concerning SSD, RAM and IPS, these are a must have with any laptop they're available for

except diseases

>tfw no 14.5" lcd panel to cram into a t430 for that thinnn bezel aesthetics

It's your decision user... but just so you know my x220 also ips and also has a little white spot lower right side... doesn't bother. I got it for $49 USD.

Notebooksbilliger. You can either order or go to the store (Sarstedt)

haha... true

Facts

That's so hot!

For the price I'd say you did fine. Switching the screen isn't hard but you should know that the original IPS displays all suffer from ghosting

Maybe you can get the seller to refund a small portion of money if the rest of the laptop meets the description.

So there are no official 9-cell batteries for the x220t/x230t, how are the third party ones?

I took apart my thinkpad yesterday and now my trackpad + mouse buttons is not working.

The keyboard and trackPOINT still works fine.;

WHAT DO

Are the laptops from minifree worth it?

ktgee however mentions that:
"Latitude E5000 series and others = ThinkPad L-series/Edge Series
Latitude E4000/E6000 series = ThinkPad main X/T Series"
sounds like E5570 would be worse quality compared with the W550s, or no?

Thanks boyfriend, I'll check it out.

Make my own Ryzen apu motherboard ;^)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Best way to hide a joint in the ultrabay slot of the t430s?

So I just repasted my X220 but my idle CPU temps are still 45C/115F, I was hoping it would help but it didn't seem to do too much.

Any tips?

There's nothing wrong with those temps

the Dell Precisions are more comparable to the W-series

that guys about to last 30 seconds on the prostitute.. haha.

You're fine bro, newer Thinkshits gets 53ºC idle

>complaining about 45c

are you a retard?

T450
> i5 5300U
> 256GB SSD
> 8GB of RAM
> 768p display
> $600
Is this a good deal? Please respond

Hey guys, I don't wanna be a shitnoob, but why buy a thinkpad over a meme "gamer" laptop, considering for the same price gaymen laptops have better CPUs and aren't stuck with integrated graphics?

>this general used to be about buying thinkpad T420's and lower

>now its infested with people paying 600$ for chinkpads

Yes this is my first laptop I've only had desktops so far

I have a problem... i can't stop buying thinkpads.

45c is pretty good. My X230 idles at 50c and goes up to 85c under load.

Thats a sign of autism, autties love spending tax dollars on collecting certain things

Hello tpg. Got this T61 (later version? Has bigger keyboard bezels than other T61s online and has vista sticker) for $40 today with office dock thing on the right. It is in mint condition, even with all original instructions. Everything works on it, there is no dust, cracks, etc. It was used in a hospital which just gave out upgrades. Is it worth enough to sell? Where is the best place to sell it? EBay doesn't seem to be the scene, I'm not really sure about craigslist. Are there any thinkpad classifieds sites? I already have a laptop with Gnu/Linux and don't need it necessarily.

> gamer laptop
There's a few problem with those:
> Garbage build quality
> No serviceable parts available ever
> Shitty drivers
> No battery life
> Most of them have a shitty display

> B-But muh dedicated GPU
Intel Graphics already overperforms most old/low-end GPUs, many "gaymen" laptops are literally slower than a Haswell iGPU.
Are you going to game on it? What games? If it's League of Legends/Dota tier, Intel graphics maxes it out, if it's GTA V tier, you may want a desktop, since gaming laptops that decently plays it are really expensive.

Is there even that much difference in performance between x220, x230, x240 if they're all kitted out with an i5, SSD, and 6-8gb of ram?

there's a massive difference in graphics performance between X220 and X230 . performance dropped for the 40 series because they started using Ultrabook CPUS

no I think we're all a bunch of thinkfags... is all.

>Garbage build quality

I'm not a child, I wont brake it.

>No serviceable parts available ever

A google search proves you wrong.

>Shitty drivers

Not true at all.

>No battery life

Not one of my priorities.

>Most of them have a shitty display

Most of them have nice IPS displays.

>if it's GTA V tier, you may want a desktop, since gaming laptops that decently plays it are really expensive

No it's not, a gaymen laptop with a 1050 costs just as much as a thinkpad equivalent, but brings a better processor on top.

>No it's not, a gaymen laptop with a 1050 costs just as much as a thinkpad equivalent, but brings a better processor on top.
show me the $350 laptop with a quadcore CPU, dedicated GPU, and screen superior to the W520's

protip: it doesn't exist

I was referring to the ~900 euro range.

>I'm not a child, I wont brake it.
you will feel it though. you will feel the palmrest give in, you will feel the keyboard bend, the hinges will wear and make your screen wobble etc
>A google search proves you wrong.
so on the gaymen laptop you chose you can swap every part of the case, and almost every internal component?
>Not true at all.
True compared to Thinkpad drivers
>None of my priorities
that's OK
>Most of them have nice IPS displays
yep. I don't know why people try to bash gaymen laptops in that regard

Can I install gentoo on a T430 without any problems concerning hardware? All I found was a driver issue for the wifi but I am concerned that there may be a worse problem.

up until 30 series linux support was absolutely excellent. just check if you have the right wifi card, everything else works out of the box, except maybe dgpu drivers because these are shit on loonix

I wont be using the laptop while riding a tractor.

>swap every part of the case, and almost every internal component

Nobody ever needs to do that.

>True compared to Thinkpad drivers

Drivers are still functional.

you've come to the wrong place if you think /tpg/ has ever advocated buying new thinkpads

they're overpriced for regular consumers, businesses get the good deals and we get better deals from them a couple years later

> Quadro 1000M
> pic related
Literally beaten by fanless pi tier MacBook

What do you do if you can't get a deal?

Much difference between getting an i5 or an i7?

You may find a Lenovo y510p with single gt755m, i7 4700mq and ips 1080p for that money. Plays overwatch and GTA V just fine.
Not him, but both in new thinkpads and gaming laptops processors are soldered. Most gaming laptops let you replace ram and ssd, except some models, which you don't have to buy, since there are ones that let you.

>Nobody ever needs to do that.
ha... hahahaha
>Drivers are still functional.
Yeah well a 20 year old Yugo might still be functional for driving to the grocery store, but would you want that?

has anyone gotten displayport working on their t420? From what I understand I have to use the nvidia to use external displays. Fucked up installing bumblebee and broke my install. Kept booting to a "oh no, something has gone wrong" screen. Removed all the nvidia/bumblee shit and reran mkinitcpio and it went back to normal luckily. I don't care about games I just want to watch anime on the tv when I'm at my moms house.

the only thing I know for sure is that the i7 gets significantly hotter and uses more battery than the i5. I've heard that the difference in performance doesn't justify that but I haven't tested it myself

>ha... hahahaha

Not an argument.

>would you want that

If it does what it's supposed to I would want that.

So far the only argument to getting a chinkpad is build quality.

Before someone even points out

>ChinkPad
>Gaymens

What games can a t420 run and handle perfectly, just fine or with no to little issue/probem?

Usually doesn't run this toasty, I was playing a game that day

Nice display, is that IPS? What resolution?

How does MacOS perform on it?

Chronicon.

>So far the only argument to getting a chinkpad is build quality.
Why do you think that's not important? Are you really okay with replacing your laptop every year not because you need better specs or due to any internal component failure but because the cheap-ass case or keyboard gave up on you or allowed the laptop to take damage that could've been avoided?

>NON-GAY-WEEABOO EDITION!
dropped

So I'm looking to get a thinkpad since I need a laptop. Trying to stay around $150 USD. Been looking between something like the T430 or the X230. Any pros/cons between the two? Or any other models I should take a look at?

Display port works fine for me. I dont have a GPU though

T430 - more modular, higher screen resolution
X230 - better battery life, better screen quality
basically the same otherwise

Thanks, just bought it. £200 isn't too shabby for the UK I think. 256gb ssd.

Also why someone felt the need to stick 16gb of ram in there I don't know.

Where to buy?

I ordered a refurbished X220, how likely is it that they redid the thermal paste?