I2P

Hey Sup Forums whats your opinion on I2P? Are Freenet, Tor, GNUnet or Retroshare better and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/guix/
bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=sys-apps/guix
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

I use Zeronet sometimes, it has potential.

They will have future once torrent sites, whisleblowers and fucking adblockers need to hide in the darknet.

Tor pretty good. somethings download really quickly which is scary to me at least.
Freenet kinda dead use the Frost boards instead but it's pretty dated.\
i2P,GNU, Retro, zero never tried.

TEN
HOSTS
OR
LESS

never used zeronet before but i like the concept of it

ive only used tor and i2p myself and of the two tor seems to have more content

what did he mean by this?

i can get i2p to work.

Too bad i2p isn't popular

freenet is pretty good for downloading pizza

Stupid tripfag

i2p is a rotting corpse. never was popular or widely used.
freenet is dead. everyone stopped using it after that guy got busted for it.
Nobody uses Gnunet.
Retroshare is only used by a small handful.

The only darknet that is continuously updated, improved and used by many is tor.

GNUnet is the only one I've used that seems to be tackling the whole problem from the ground up in the right way.
Their file sharing client is also the only one of these I've tried that feels like it actually might have the potential to usurp torrenting, even among casuals and normalfags.
Once they can finally get this next major version we've been waiting forever for out, I think you'll see a significant surge in development and adoption.

I2P is an overall better protocol than Tor for everything other than access to regular clearnet sites. It has separate tunnels for sending/receiving data, is built with features for torrenting (such as creating multiple tunnels to increase download speed), and has cover traffic and reduces the possibility of a single group controlling the network (since everyone is a node).

>The only darknet that is continuously updated, improved and used by many is tor.
t. NSA

This, but also this

Really wish people would take the time to use marinas networks.

~> eix gnunet
No matches found

What do I do now?

install guixsd

~> eix guix
* sys-apps/guix
Available versions: (~)0.12.0-r3^t (~)0.13.0^t
(~)0.13.0^t
Homepage: gnu.org/software/guix/
Find open bugs: bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=sys-apps/guix
Description: GNU package manager (nix sibling)
License: GPL-3

Oh fuck

yeah, that works too prolly
so install guix, then
~> guix package -i gnunet

#Sup Forumsnunet on rizon is dead as shit, but I'm more than happy to try and help anyone there

i2p was ok, a lot of sites down last i checked the wiki. should look for a better list.
tor is ok, don't really use it much but been looking into doing more.
gnunet was too complicated for me to get, maybe had to do with outdated repos and not building from source.
retroshare was ok for the bit i used it.
gonna try the rest soon.

Everything but tor is dead.

Installing guix now.

What's the point of using tor if it isn't secure anymore?

>tor isn't secure

>The only darknet that is continuously updated, improved and used by many is tor.
>continuously updated, improved and used by many is tor.
>updated, improved

Top. Fucking. Kek.

Pic related.

You forgot IPFS

There's an obvious reason as to why.

>"source" is a screenshot of a thread on Sup Forums
So you don't have any actual evidence then?

Neutral observer her. Couldn't help but notice you didn't address anything in the actual screenshot. I'm awarding 1 point to the guy you responded to.

>I-it's an user poster, surely we can't trust them

Read the links in the post you fucktard. All the events are common knowledge especially the CMU attack. The sad thing is they're probably more technologically literate than the entire TorDev team. What probably brings your piss to a boil is that even Sup Forums is more anonymous in theory than Tor is and you can't commit character assassination against the people posting here because they're user.

Considering "SJW" gets thrown around multiple times in the first post, the rest is probably Sup Forumstard LARPing that contains no little to no relevant factual information. If you have evidence then link it directly. I'm not going to waste my time reading a massive screenshot that's formatted in an inconvenient way, then type out the links for the actual relevant information manually.

I like i2p, I torrented a bunch of cryptography books, but it's kinda shitty that there just isn't enough seeders for stuff like anime and what not.

So you dismiss the substance because you can't read past the insults. I'm awarding another point to the other guy because that's straight up pathetic.

>I'm too lazy to read so I win

These technologies are the future. You might not think so now, but some day this will be the norm because even normies are getting pretty sick of jewbook and joogle. Make it technically easy and get a few popular figures using them and before yo know it, everyone is on it.

>Make it technically easy and get a few popular figures using them and before yo know it, everyone is on it.

That's sadly a double edged knife in the tech world. You get it popular for normies and even worse normies jump onto the ship to develop things which stifles intelligent design and ultimately reduces the reliability and operational quality of anything.

Shut the fuck up commie.
See how that works?

Tried to install gnunet through guix, but I get this:

make[2]: *** [Makefile:1733: check-local] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-tar-1.29.drv-0/tar-1.29/tests'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1588: check-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-tar-1.29.drv-0/tar-1.29/tests'
make: *** [Makefile:1338: check-recursive] Error 1
phase `check' failed after 269.3 seconds
builder for `/gnu/store/qlg9h22206n16jaqaxxxqpk4gcki0329-tar-1.29.drv' failed with exit code 1
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/i3gbiskv59j5pcxcl68bjp1nvchjppb0-subversion-1.8.17.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix package: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/i3gbiskv59j5pcxcl68bjp1nvchjppb0-subversion-1.8.17.drv' failed

Oh well, I guess I'll just install from source and worry about guix shit later.

Interesting.
I've never had problems with Guix, but I've also never used it on Gentoo (or whatever you're on).
Always possible it's a legit problem and devs of either Guix or the OS should be informed.
Ask the help mailing list or in their room on freenode.

Yeah, it's pretty weird, but I did manage to compile gnunet from source and I got the gtk window running. I'll take another look at guix after I get some sleep.

no need to even touch the gui shit, i'd recommend not
come to #Sup Forumsnunet tomorrow and we'll help get you started

a new i2p version came out the other day, there is a huge community. just because you can't get the router working doesn't mean it's bad brainlet

That's just an insult and nothing else.

looks like a triggered TOR spook lads

Not JUST an insult. It's a tactic of transpersonal exclusion. Ginna Husting wrote a 2007 paper on the term "conspiracy theory" as a strategy of transpersonal exclusion, or "Othering" as psychologists and sjews call it. Very, very interesting reading.

zeronet is neither stable nor mature, and it's made for websites specifically

you have no fucking idea what you're talking about

The point of an anonymizing network isn't "which one has cooler shit". And even if that were the case, tor is filled to the brim with honey pots.

It's fairly popular relative to similar projects, tor notwithstanding

Nice dubs. Also, to be fair, GNUnet is still in its formative stages, and i2p does whatever you need it to do effectively, which is far more important than popularity, so long as there's an audience. And the use case for retroshare is by the devs decision really limited.

I tried GNUnet when nyaa died and it was really really slow and all I found on there where some computer pdfs and anime reaction images, with over half the stuff failing to download.

The concept sounds good but it isn't anywhere near useable.
I think we'll be using torrents forever.

Bittorrent is not a secure protocol. If you want bittorrent, do it on top of i2p.

30KBps.

Once the next major version is released, a few of us have every intention of loading it with TBs of music, books, and cartoons, giving high priority to currently airing shows.
It's slow right now in part because so few people are actually using it - You get a couple hundred of us from Sup Forums and Sup Forums to start using it regularly and I think you'll see a leap in speed and reliability.
I've actually found it not to be slow at all (relative to these other mentioned things) when I'm actually connected to people with files that are still live - I did a test with a friend and transferred 7GB in just a couple hours.
The biggest issue right now is that the git isn't back compatible with what's been packaged in any distro, completely fracturing the network - I often can't find anyone to connect with for extended periods. This is why we're waiting for the next official version - So we all can be on the same page.

I use a VPN running in a virtual box which saves to a shared folder.

It's just too convenient to use RSS feeds and automatically download what I like.

>7GB
>couple of hours
Slow as fuck

the price of privacy

You can increase the download cap. Most torrents, unless you're downloading from a honeypot like tpb with +100 seeders, will often take a day or two regardless.

You... What is this wizardry? You can download torrents from clearnet using i2p? Won't that harm the network?

>You can download torrents from clearnet using i2p?

No, but i2p has its own public and private trackers if you know where to look. I2p was made for services like bittorrent.

>Won't that harm the network?

Unlike tor which is a decentralized network, i2p is a distributed network, which basically means that things like bittorrent are actually encouraged, because it helps obscure the activity of your peers.

The latter question was predicted upon the preceeding, but whatever. I've only ever really used the postman tracker.

Get on my level plebs.

how do you have so many damn peers? i never get more than a dozen

I think having a XOfR router helps.