/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&sort=price
pcpartpicker.com/list/X8WGCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/3BYJr7
walmart.com/ip/LG-24MB35P-B-24-LED-LCD-Monitor/39622820
pcpartpicker.com/list/kLd6HN
pcpartpicker.com/list/QpFdRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/TrhqFd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What are the chances vega will be serious competition to 1080ti?

Zero, it's a 1080 competitor at best

I'm building a PC from scratch and I'm wondering between choosing between gtx 1080 and 1080 ti.

I want to play everything on ultra, but I'm afraid I will only be able to afford a monitor that only supports 1080p. I can't find monitors 1440p under 400€.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&sort=price

Thanks. Monitor prices in my country are really above global average. Every monitor on that list that's supposedly under 400€, ends up being around 700€ here,

From the research I've done both will be able to run 1440p games on ultra just fine.

On that note, I'd like to get some feedback on my build.
pcpartpicker.com/list/X8WGCy

Budget is a hard $2000 USD.
I'm doing to be using it mainly for development/rendering/school work (CS major).
Occasional gaming is a possibility, but not a priority in any way. I'm mainly looking for something that will be fast, powerful with multicore performance, and allow me to multitask for extended periods of time.

That being said, there may have been things I have missed, or parts that have cheaper equivalents (RAM is standing out to me). The Windows 7 price is from ebay, and is a placeholder.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated.

So, buying the 1080 ti will be overkill and waste of money basically, right?

That was my impression, yes. If you were doing 4K then sure, but at 1440 there's no need.

Vega when?

Thanks again.

Another question.
When buying a graphic card, what brand should I avoid? I heard Asus end up being shit. What's the best brand?

Personally partial to EVGA
Also more shinobu

Even the mighty 1080 Ti can't push 144hz with max settings at 1440p in some games but it'll be able to push those high frames for longer than 1080. Question is how much you're willing to spend to gain about half a year to a year before feeling the need to upgrade.

Wait, benchmarks for 1080, running on 1080p (that's what's being considered, since 1440p monitors are too expensive), are always above 100 fps. I doubt games in the 2/3 years can bring it down to 30 fps or so.

pcpartpicker.com/list/3BYJr7

I'm afraid the monitor is too small for 1440p but I'm not sure if that really matters

Other than that any obvious mistakes

Going for Max 1440p 60fps gaming if that wasn't clear

>2x4 gb memory
get a b350 boatrd and 16 gb.

For 1080p the 1080 will do just fine for years, especially if you're fine with 60hz. Although with such powerful hardware I'd recommend you to get 144hz monitor.

For a gaming monitor, what's more important? Refresh rate or response time? How come this two aren't the same?

What's a good reliable mobo for a Ryzen 7 1700X? My friend is selling his 2 month old CPU to upgrade to a 1950X & he already gave away his MSI mobo to his cousin

user from earlier here, my PC gets power and the fans including CPU and GPU fans turn on and can stay powered until I turn it off again but I get no BIOS.

Where should I start my trouble shooting? RAM? Board is a gigabyte b350

If you don't specify a price then I'll say just get a Crosshair Hero VI.

Oops, sorry. Between 80-150 USD

Why does AMD TR have "dummy" cores

No get the 1080TI. There is a significant performance leap from the 1080 to the TI

strix b350-f

You want it to have 32 cores? That's called an EPYC.

Two reasons: 1) They likely want to release a more powerful version for Zen2 that may use 4 dies but they don't want to force a socket change, 2) Since they're using the large socket, having 4 dies spreads the force distribution across the IHS more evenly across the dies which should help with heat transfer

Sup Forumsentlemen, I need advice on processor warranty. Should I clean the thermal paste off the processor before I send it in for RMA?

Any advice anyone? Sorry to self-bump.

yes, though it shouldn't matter

Can anyone explain a noob how the fuck memory speeds work.
I set XMP on after building the PC but it goes into a bluescreen after a few minutes the PC is on.
Should I set them on manually or is it not worth the trouble?

Will IBM's Power9 CPU's have a consumer version? Would a 12C/96T be overkill for workstation use?

>can't afford a proper grill without toxic paint
nice backyard, fag

Get a 6800k and overclock it. Use the extra money for a better cooler or a gtx 1080.

>i9_7800x_in_use.jpg

Interesting idea, thanks. I'm thinking a better cooler would take priority due to the OC, and the fact that it's only a midsize case. Do you think I'd still be fine with air?

shit advice. why are you going for dead x99 platform? you can get 8c/16t ryzen cpu for way cheaper.

>I'm mainly looking for something that will be fast, powerful with multicore performance, and allow me to multitask for extended periods of time.
Why are you buying a 6core intel for $330, when you can get a ryzen 8core for $300? Do you need more PCIE lanes?

>ryzen
come on

thanks

1 left.

walmart.com/ip/LG-24MB35P-B-24-LED-LCD-Monitor/39622820

How much will the i3-8300 cost? The i3-7300 is $147 MSRP.

it will cost around 200

Good points. I really hadn't considered AMD honestly, but I'll give them another look and compare their new CPUs. So far it does seem better in all areas.

/pcbg/ Workplace Edition part 2

How am I doing

how are we supposed to fucking know? right now every answer would be just guessing.

I need some help deciding between a R5 1600 and an R7 1700. How much of a difference do the extra cores and threads make? I plan on pretty heavy gaming and video recording/editing but not in a professional sense so minute time differences don't matter too much. I'd like to stream some games at 1080p though, so if I could get better streaming quality with the 1700 that'd be cool. I'm also going to be switching to a computer science major so I will likely be doing programming and compiling and whatnot. Is the extra performance going to be worth it in my case?

How will a single 1080Ti handle new-ish games in 4K? Do you have to sacrifice any settings?

Yeah man, my friend was looking to buy a computer and was looking at intel parts, but I showed him that currently the offerings from AMD are much better value wise, and he got a r5 1600, instead of an i7 7700.

Also, with the extra savings, what cooler would you recommend? I have little experience with aftermarket coolers, but since I'll be sticking with air for now I want to be sure I get something quality.

Ive read conflicting reports about CPUs Bottlenecking modern graphics cards, whats the best card I can run on a skylake i5 6600? Im not prepared to upgrade CPU, Mobo and ram at the moment as this machine is only 18 months old. Currently running a 390 and its struggling to max some stuff @ 1080.
also, How difficult are aftermarket coolers to install on GPUs, If i dont buy a new card I need something to make this thing stfu.
final question, Is it possible to stripe a pair of SSDs? I remember doing this years ago but I had to adjust dip switch thingies on the hdds and my ssds dont even have those.

i had a 4690k which got fried by a faulty motherboard. i rma'd it and , because they didn't have 4690k anymore i got credited my money back

i have a total of 310 euros (that is with my in-store refund and money i have saved). i can maybe squeeze another 80-100 if i get some more work for this month.

i can get a 4790k for 300 or a 4790 for 270 (not worth it) or try to build something else.

for reference , a ryzen 1700 costs 290 , a 1600 costs 185 and a 1400 costs 140 (ignoring x versions for obvious reasons).

a 7600k costs 210 and a 7350k costs 140. a 7700k costs 300.

a half decent motherboard costs about 130 (for z270 for 1151 and x370 for am4) and 1x8gb of 2400 ram costs 62 euros.

if i upgrade i would need ram , motherboard and the cpu. which is pretty limited due to budget. If I upgrade i will be stuck in a platform with the danger of not having a motherboard to work with in the future.

I've been very pleased with the 4690k performance so far. For gpu I have an r9 290x 8gb.

Thoughts?

If I don't upgrade*

The r7 is a bit overkill for gaming and streaming at the same time, but it might not be in a couple of years. Imo the price difference is not that big compared to the extra longevity.

i found a hp dv7 laptop in the dumpster. i took it home, tested it and cleaned it. no problems except for cracks and dings, running 7 pro and apparently owend by a pajeet. i am going to fully disassemble and clean, reassemble it. my question is: as long as the screen works am i safe from the potential mercury vapore exposure? basically if screen works does that mean the mercury is intact?

Noctua is still top tier with NH-D15 and it comes with AM4 brackets out of the box.

you don't need x370 for ryzen. b350 allows overclocking and is enough for 90% of users.
if you can wait, new coffee lake cpus come out in 9 days and you could see how new i5 with 6 cores performs. if not then get ryzen 5. don't spend money on a dead socket and don't settle for 4 cores since it's not enough for gayming anymore.

They aren't the same, but they they are related If I remember correctly almost all 144hz are 1ms because response time is how long it takes for the pixel to change color and a high refresh rate would be ugly as shit and completely useless with a low response time.

very nice. what cpu?

is it 9 days launch for the stores or 9 days for a paper launch? cause the owner of the store is an asshole friend of mine and i know that he will spend the refund (which is given through the supplier) when he finds a chance and it'll be a long while to get it back. i also currently use a q6600 which is a pain to even be near it when it turns on.

i took note of a gigabyte gaming 3 b350 board at 102 euros. also , wouldn't the new intel cpus need a z370 chipset to be overclocked? are motherboards launching with it?

i5 4670k owner here. The i7 4970K still a great cpu definitely worth getting over the i5.

Having said, were you considering upgrading your PC before your CPU broke? If you had the slightest thought about upgrading your PC, then don't don't buy the i7 and get a new ryzen system.

Personally I think I will wait till about 2020 before I upgrade, because I am waiting for DDR5 memory.

It's a paper launch.
So you only got in-store credit and not cash?
Even so, if you had the thought that you wanted to upgrade your PC get a ryzen 1600 + b350 mobo + 16gb ddr ram

If you are perfectly happy with your PC and never though about upgrading it, then get the i7 4790k

can anybody advise me here?

i wasn't really planning on a system upgrade. i was jealous of the extra performance on the ryzen cpus and considering actually getting a used 4790k to extend my system life but i was mostly thinking of getting more ram for my i5. in fact the 4690k died because i bought a used motherboard for it to extend it's life a bit ( OC on a b85 -> better OC on a z97) but that motherboard smoked as soon as i plugged it in.

as i said i wasn't planning on a full system upgrade , just ram and maybe a used 4790k. I have 176 in store credit (before taxes , profit doesn't matter) that i must use or lose it and 135 cash in hand with the possibility of squeezing another 80-100.

A 1070 should be fine.

would a vega 56 be fine too?

any insights on striped raid for ssds?

Vega 56 is leagues stronger than a 1070, that might be pushing it.

no idea

>i was jealous of the extra performance on the ryzen cpus
Upgrade.
Just upgrade man.

h-help

>only 18 months old
>tfw i'm completely scrapping a 6 month old 6600k/1060 build for a 1700x/1080ti build
a-am i falling for the overspending meme? i thought it was an upgrade i needed..

Is GPU sagging a problem anymore these days? That and long term reliability will be the deciding factors of picking ATX or mATX.

my strix 1080ti sags a little in its socket, but i'm pretty sure that if you tighten the screws that hold it in place tight enough it shouldn't be a major issue.
(feel free to correct me if i'm retarded)

My fucking psu is running way too fast/loud at idle on desktop and its blowing out cool air. Please fellow goyims someone help m e I do not understand and compooter is jet engine software cannot control psu it is evga supernova 650 watt gold

>nex
that's what you get

Shoulda bought the G2/G3 with ECO Mode

wtf does that mean is my fan just doomed to jet engine 24/7

Yes
RIP

6700 to 1800x a good upgrade

do you do anything productive?

There actually isn't all that much difference between a 1700 and an 1800X beyond clockspeed. Grab a 1700 and overclock it.

Planning 1080ti build, are there any budget monitors worth recommending or should am I really looking at a $500 entry point? Current build sitting at $1650 sans monitor. Was really hoping to stay around $2000 or less.

pcpartpicker.com/list/kLd6HN
Anything wrong with my build? I play Overwatch and this is my first custom pc.

All suggestions welcome, thanks!

So, I just installed a new mother board, a new SSD and HDD, and new memory. I've only just done this, and I've gotten two BSOD's already.

One was a NetIO.sys error, the other was e1d65x64. It's a pretty fresh computer, and the only thing that hasn't been swapped with the new hardware is the CPU, which I only bought a few months earlier.

I'm running:
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB
WD Blue 2TB HDD
WD Blue 250GB SSD

I need help.

you can't overclock with an a320 board, and i'd avoid asrock for ryzen for a little while.

Should we remove the 570 and 580 from the OP pasta?

The general unavailability makes it unrealistic to present it as an option, replace with a 1060? though those can be hard to get too.

UR COMPOOTER IS RIP IN PEACE AUTISM BOI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upgrade to B350 mobo and downgrade to 250gb SSD. I see no reason for a boot drive to be that big even if you're installing few games on it.

it says quite clearly that it would be best to wait, unless you're buying a 1050ti or a 1080ti. hopefully vega evens out a bit of the supply/demand imbalance.

thanks, I actually do want to overclock, do you what clock speed is optimal for my build?

i want to hold my entire pc on this drive, is 500gb too much?

Do I need to buy a PS/2 mouse/keyboard to install Windows 7 on Ryzen? I read that USB stuff won't work during installation.

If you want to hold the entire system on one drive then the 500gb is fine. Then I'd also switch my case to mATX one like Thermaltake Core V21 or Corsair Air 240 though be careful with the Air, it's really small and some GPUs have trouble even fitting in so make sure to check that first.

pcpartpicker.com/list/QpFdRG

I play Overwatch, this will be my first pc build. Thoughts?

is outervision psu calculator reliable?

I am specing out my system and future upgrades I will make down the line and it recommends a 850watt bronze PSU.
Minimum is 612 watts though.

Will i be fine with a 750 watt gold PSU?

If all you're doing is overwatch then go for a 1050 ti, anything above it isn't worth it until you step into 1080/1080 ti territory. 3000mhz is $10 more also avoid asrock for am4.

pcpartpicker.com/list/TrhqFd

Is there any way to build a PC using only Made in USA components?