/retro/

no retro thread? let's have one. post whatever old crap you've got or have picked up recently.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jqZ8428GSrI
mirror.netcologne.de/kde/doc/Pictures_from_Cologne/00INDEX.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-pmpdQ073-4
youtube.com/watch?v=Gls-eXUwl9g
youtube.com/watch?v=AXvAppdnkDc
youtube.com/watch?v=TUS0Zv2APjU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

NEC PC-8201

People with retro PC, how many time does it take to open Sup Forums?

It takes 6 time

thanks

Thread theme youtube.com/watch?v=jqZ8428GSrI

I want to relive some memories and build a late 90's/early 2000's PC. I'm looking at a Geforce 3 AGP, but I'm not sure about the motherboard/CPU. Ideally I would would dual boot Win98 and WinXP. I hear there might be issues with sound card compatibility in DOS depending on the motherboard chipset.

Anyways, a Tualatin P3 1.4 GHz sounds like a good choice and they can be found for $20. What would be a good board to pair this with?

Also there is a ton of Pentium 4 motherboard/CPU/RAM bundles on eBay for cheap. I keep hearing that the P4 was a shitty chip. I actually skipped the P4 back then so I have no idea. But getting a bundle for $40 seems tempting. Would I run into issues as far as DOS compatibility? Would it be wise to just go with the Tualatin instead?

>Also there is a ton of Pentium 4 motherboard/CPU/RAM bundles on eBay for cheap.
Don't even have to pay, just put an ad on Craigslist or kijij stating you'll pickup old computers for free. I picked up 13 computers in 3 weeks that way, majority old pentium 4's, ended up sending all of them to e-waste center and kept a Pentium D. Pentium 4s are worthless don't even pay for one, just ask around your family, friends and coworkers if they have an old computer they want to get rid of.

I just have to say that Windows 98 is an impressive operating system. Until 2006 I did my daily computing on a 64 MB RAM Pentium 2 system running Windows 98.

The P4 runs quite hot and isn't all too efficient. Clock for clock the P3 is actually faster, i.e. a 1.4GHz P3 is faster than a 1.4GHz P4. Also you won't have ISA slots for retro expansion cards, and good luck finding 9x drivers. For a dual-boot 98/XP system, a 1GHz or faster P3, whether it's Coppermine or Tualatin, will be just fine.

a lot of late-model P3 boards lacked ISA slots too. 815 chipset didn't support em. (P4 never did, except for a few industrial boards with custom hardware) If you want ISA get a 440BX board and a Coppermine P3. It'll probably be Slot 1. You may have to re-cap it.

With some pinmodding and an adapter, a 440BX board can support a Tualatin. That'd allow you more RAM (not that 98 would need it) and ISA slots for all your retro expansion needs.

I'm not too worried about ISA slots. I do have an old SB Live PCI card that I want to use, and I sort of remember that there's a way to get it working in DOS. If that doesn't work it's not a big deal since most onboard audio from that time period is compatible with SB Pro in DOS anyways.

you'll still be running the FSB at 133MHz though. AGP and PCI cards will be overclocked since the BX didn't have dividers for speeds over 100. some cards deal with this and some dont.

You might want a separate machine for DOS games, perhaps a 486 or early Pentium. Many DOS games will run unplayably fast on a P3, if they even run at all.

>SyQuest

Now THATS a name I haven't seen in a long time.

I recognize that room!

performance wise the P4 wasn't really shit it was just a poorer value for what you got depending on the task, it was still plenty passable

a 1 GHz Coppermine PIII is probably your best choice, but if you're going to go up a generation at least go for an S423 Rambus system, they're a little more novel, likely to be high-end and were usually built pretty well

>I hear there might be issues with sound card compatibility in DOS depending on the motherboard chipset.

If the board lacks ISA or the ISA slots are bridged through PCI and don't operate natively, you won't have the IRQ and DMA access necessary for DOS programs to use the sound hardware.

Some sound cards provide drivers that will emulate these hardware features, but even these rely on other hardware southbridge features that eventually disappeared. Namely PC-PCI/SBLink, PCI non-maskable interrupts, distributed DMA and temporal DMA.

Intel chipsets: Sound Blaster stops working beyond ICH5. Aureal Vortex stops working beyond ICH7.
VIA chipsets: Sound Blaster stops working beyond VT82C686. Aureal Vortex stops working beyond VT8237
nForce, AMD and SiS chipsets: No backwards compat support

finally got a fresh AC adapter for it and turned it right on for the first time after 3 years in storage
hold me lads

Just my 1988 photo

I've got a BASIC book from the 70s or 80s maybe I'll shoot something new

>that one faggot who pulled every individual fucking key from an old computer and spams ebay with 200 ads
I don't even know how he makes any money i just sold something on ebay and got raped by fees

>not an AEK
fuck off nigger

I am absolutely not spending that much on a meme keyboard that would cost more than the entire computer did.

Aren't AEKII like 50 United States Dollars?

The computer itself and everything with it only cost me like 20cad. I'm not a particular fan of mechanicals anyway, plus the one that I've got now is a French layout, which is preferable.

Is it a higher-end G3? Shit's probably worth way more than 20.

Fuck the AEK though, get something better matched to it since it's so immaculate as it is.

AEKs with Orange ALPS costs 70 on ebay right now and AEKIIs with salmons are cheaper (even though i can't really tell the difference as well as I can tell the difference between white ALPS and blue)

user...who the fuck picks up crap? That's more a Sup Forums thing.

>If you want ISA get a 440BX board and a Coppermine P3. It'll probably be Slot 1. You may have to re-cap it.
As far as I know there are 440BX motherboards that use Socket 370 as well.

it's money laundering in the drug business

He's buying a big score on eBay. All those good feedbacks are priceless.
I ran into it years ago when a woman hounded me for feedback on a $20 sale. The pros don't do that.
The bigger the feedback score the less scrutiny buyers subject you to.

just old photo from 1998

Holy shit user, programming penguin in 1998?

Yes user, look at pengu face, alpha as fuck.

I shall bump this thread because love for retro.

Who is the qt?

Not the programming penguin.

idk

full set:
mirror.netcologne.de/kde/doc/Pictures_from_Cologne/00INDEX.html

Wow.

Computer people that aren't hipsters or pajeets.
It's beautiful.

Also no fake blondes with long fake nails. But actual women.

Comfy as fuck desu. Old photographs like this always make me think of the future that never happened.

I just noticed this.

youtube.com/watch?v=-pmpdQ073-4

That's not a _sleeper_ how can people be such dumbasses?

Indeed, group of people united by a common hobby, no fake smiles. And I totaly agree with KDE meeting '99:
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/X11/gui/kde/events/kde-2-Meeting/big/

I remember seeing some pictures from an Amiga meet (here in the UK, Amiga was reasonably big) in '95 and it looked like the comfiest shit in the world.

Everything fucking sucks now.

post unix workstations
apple weenies need not apply

>apple weenies need not apply
what did he mean by this?

Brogrammer dude is totally trying to mac the cheeze. In public solid 7.5/10 in IT world 9/10.

The cabinets from left to right are probably :

1) TU-10 tape drive
2) RF-11 disk controller (panel at top of cabinet)
3) RK03 disks (apparently compatible with RK05's)
4) TU56 DECtape (the beasts were block replaceable and could behave like a disk drive)
5) TU56
6) PC-11 paper tape reader/punch. There is just a glimpse of a PDP11/35-45 hidden by the second ASR33 under the punch (probably 11/45).
7) PDP11/20. It's not one of the earliest, since you can clearly see the /20 on the decal.
8) In the shadows to the right is a VT01A display (Tektronix 611 storage display)

> -hey Gordon, I beat your score in Pacman!
> -...

> -fucking neckbearded manchild
> *reset hi-score*

KEK

HDD 190MB for MicroPDP 11/53

whoa big

Thick.

nice quantum bigfoot

when you see it ...

some

BODY

>tfw no minicomputer
How can I get a PDP?

200mhz 604e

More or less maxed out except for memory.

Apple IIgs keyboard is coolest orange alps board imo.

become millionaire, poorfag

And no traps either.

>That mouse
Even this monster has it.
youtube.com/watch?v=Gls-eXUwl9g

This has to be my all time favourite case. It just looks so classy with that smoked plastic on the door. I wish there was something like this still available.

Jesus that looks comfy, do you use that computer all the time or is it ornamental?

could this be a 100tb hdd with modern technology but same size

Mostly ornamental, but its networked and has a C++ compiler installed, so its useful.

Nah famalam, everything has to be edgy and tacticool and black and have a hundred sharp edges to show everyone what a cool pro gamer you are oh god kill me

this is quite the device

mine in pic related
>that time when a floppy drive weighed like a modern CPU tower

The design aged pretty gracefully, looks fairly modern.

i use your bedroom as a wallpaper

From one of the previous threads.
>600MHz Intel Celeron
>256MB of RAM
>16MB ATI Mobility Radeon
>7.1" 1024x768 LCD

Here's another one
>166MHz Intel Pentium MMX
>32MB of RAM
>2 MB NeoMagic MagiGraph 128XD (no 3D hardware acceleration)
>7.1" 800x480 LCD

I'm sure I read somewhere that the MagiGraph 128 is hardware capable of 3D acceleration but the drivers don't support it.

Makes me kind of sad, she's probably in her 40's now. A heavy smoker, divorced twice with 3 kids and those amazing tits are down to her stomach. Time is a cruel mistress.

Damn you Sup Forums, stop tempting me to spend more on things I don't actually need or have space for.

A bit off topic, but I think I saw a laptop modeled off of that in the first Tony Hawk's Underground.

I never noticed that laptop in THUG.

I wonder if the Moonbase Alpha ear rape commands work on actual hardware.
youtube.com/watch?v=AXvAppdnkDc

youtube.com/watch?v=TUS0Zv2APjU

That was pretty interesting, pretty clever.

Ilu

Yep, my dad ran Win 98 on a 266 overclocked to 400 for like 12 years lol

w2c those frames

I wonder how reliable this was in the long term. VHS tapes degrade pretty easily if you don't take care of them.