I'm stuck and looking for advice

I'm stuck and looking for advice.

I'm building a PC and as much as I'm on the Ryzen hype train, I'm not sure which processor to get, and maybe you all can help me decide.

I play a lot of games and I'll do some streaming but not regularly, and I'll also do some video editing and photoshop, but I have 64gb of RAM planned to be installed in my PC, which may help the Quad-core processor with workloads. Dwarf Fortress on the other hand would greatly benefit from the cache and cores of the 1700.

I also play on a lot of emulators which I've read benefit from the single-core speeds of the 7700k, but on the other hand I may also run a few virtual machines which would benefit from the eight cores of the 1700.

I'm sort of deadlocked, the 7700k and the 1700 seem to be of equal importance, but maybe I'm missing something. Any help is appreciated.

if you only play videogames get the 7700k

if you do videogames + literally anything else and want a solid upgrade path for zen2 get a 1700

shitposters incoming, ignore them.

stop being a pussy and buy one.Run it for a day and if you dont like what it got return it and the motherboard. Get your money back and buy the other.

This. But seriously get 1700 anyway, because you can upgrade to Zen 2 without repurchasing a motherboard. Get 1800 if you're feeling particularly adventurous, better overclocking headroom.

>stop being a pussy and buy one.

I totally get what you're saying, and that's probably what I'm going to do, but I think you need to lead with something better than "stop being a pussy" if you want to offer any advice you want someone to actually take.

While the 7700k might offer better single core performance, the single core performance the 1700 offers is not garbage. The 1700 is much better at everything else though. Like others have mentioned, you can upgrade to Zen 2 later on if you want. Zen 2 will be 7nm and will probably allow much higher frequencies.

how much would a 1700 + good 16gb ddr4 + good mobo cost in the US?

i offer advice that i use in everyday life, if i cant decide i just get one. if i dont like it which i rarely do, i buy the other one.

The 1700 is about ~$280 at the moment.
Good 16GB of ram should be around $125-135
A good B350 board should run $85 to $115 at most

Take it from the owner, 1800x it's not exactly worth it when it comes to price if you plan to get it just for the OC headroom.

Most 1700xs do as well or even better, i'd be better to invest in a proper 280mm+ water-cooler or high-freq ram

there is absolute no reason to buy anything intel atm

games? 1600 is the new king like it or not
everything else plus games? 1700 is the best value
everything else plus games plus wanna shove it down the throat of Sup Forums shills? threadripper

its funny tho i had a 7600 and i was able to open 9 lineage2 instances to farm some adena
i bought a 1700 just to see if i could open multiple bots on multiple servers

results

49 instances plus 49 bots on 4 dif servers and the damn thing had still like 30-40% of cpu usage left

Ryzen 1700 is a really nice CPU
It runs circles around it at everything non gaming and performs very similar in games

The only shills on Sup Forums are AMD shills.

There is zero down side to going ryzen right now for a new build

There are several downsides to intel, confirmed new socket, TIM issues, limited pcie lanes and dubious real world performance when using all threads.

6700k owner. got a fantastic deal on it otherwise i would have waited for ryzen.

If you plan on playing more than just games (and you sound like you are with multiple VMs) then get a 1700. A 1700 should be able to multitask better.

I mean, I think both processors are capable but 1700 makes more sense.

>everything else plus games plus wanna shove it down the throat of Sup Forums shills? threadripper
Sup Forums has been outright shilling Threadripper before the specs were even leaked. It's retarded that /pcbg/ had Threadripper recommended in the OP before and 3rd party reviews were out.

>/pcbg/ had Threadripper recommended
Isn't that a $1000 processor. wtf would people on Sup Forums need such a processor for.

>forgetting about
MACACO

Shitposting aside, get the 1700 I have it and it's overwhelmingly good for the price, and truly shines when OC. Which you can actually do on the stock cooler.

1700 + water cooler or a good noctua. It can hit 4ghz.

a stock 1700 will serve you very well. no need for overclocking or a fancy cooler, save that money for zen2.

Bragging rights? For speccy threads? Though I doubt many would really using Threadripper for its fully potential.

D-DELID

Pro tip: if you ignore any advice that isn't super polite and User Friendly(tm) then you'll ignore a lot of useful advice.

>if you dont like what it got return it and the motherboard
I'm always amazed at the audacity of you Murricans. When you treat your companies like shit that way, it's no wonder they treat you like shit back.

What, I hear about people abusing European consumer laws all the time. There are actually people that overclock CPU's and if they lose the silicon lottery they RMA it.

Purchased a Kaby assuming I would be able to upgrade to coffee on my z270 board.

Jew me once, shame on me. Jew me twice, well, your not going to Jew me any more. AMD from now on.

It's hilarious that they split the 300-series into two parts, Kaby Lake refresh and Cannon Lake to try and get even more money from chipset sales. I think mobo manufacturers are furious that they got stuck with all these Z270 chipsets that they can't sell because Coffee Lake was rushed.

coffee lake is 9 days away so i'd wait if i were you

Wait for Coffee Lake's launch on 21st and then see the reviews

Yeah, hilarious. Everyone but Intel loses. I hope Coffee Lake is a huge dud and cannon gets pushed another year