Tfw KDE is so bad but KDE apps are so good

>tfw KDE is so bad but KDE apps are so good

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kotelnik/plasma-applet-active-window-control/issues/78
github.com/rilian-la-te/menumodel-dbusmenu-translator
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck you u made me horny
also KDE sucks use terminal + framebuffer like a real man

>tfw GNOME and it's applications suck but it's the only DE bistros are somehow able to ship with sane defaults

>want to use 1 (one) single KDE app
>200 dependencies

Muh man

Every KDE app is shit except Konsole.

What do you mean by this
What is KDE but a collection of "apps"

And Krita. And KDevelop. And Kolf. And Kate. And Kolourpaint, the best paint software there is on Linux desktops.

KDE is by far the best DE on Linux, and the only one that could make normies switch. If you're having problems with it you're probably dumb enough to use anything that's not Debian Stable, the only good Linux distro, or have a video card that isn't well supported on Linux.

>tfw Unity was perfect

>Plebian
>good
Apart from that, I agree with your post.

Xfxe4 does not have this problem

>this
Plasma has sane defaults and the Software Collection has quality stuff (Konsole and Kate, for example). KWallet gets on my nerves though.

>Plebian
Debian is rock-solid, faggit.
Paradoxically, Debian Unstable is fine too. I update once a month and just have to pay attention to what apt says.

>Debian is rock-solid, faggit.
My shaft in ur mom is rock-solid, faggit.
Plebian is more like rock-fossilized and maintainers that are mostly maintainers because nobody would pay them as software developers and it shows.
Developing on Plebian is a pain, not only because of derprecated packages but also because it's such a nodev bistro.

>KWallet gets on my nerves
You're goddamn right. Same applies to other shared KDE services like that indexing thing.

Debian Unstable is okay, but some time ago I had bad experiences with it (systemd broke during an update, had to revert to the previous version, etc). I personally can't stand buggy software. Nowadays I just stick to Stable and compile from source and install on /usr/local things when I need newer versions (only the linux kernel, mpv and sometimes interpreters like php and ruby). Haven't found a better distro yet, and I've tried all the popular ones. And the Debian KDE maintainers do a really good job picking the right version for stable.

>tfw KDE has the cutest mascot

Except Konsole _is_ shit.

>Debian
>Stable
>kde
plebians are crazy like that

I haven't had any issues regarding Debian software. I'm not a dev (sysadmin in an edu/research environment here) and thus cannot comment on developping on Debian. Usually building stuff runs fine (just apt-get install build-essentials and the required libs). As someone who has to read/write Perl scripts, the extensive Perl debian packages help. The Python side of things (mostly for our scientists) is OK and I've found everything they wanted installed in the official repos.
Debian Stable just werks man.

>KDE services like that indexing thing
Amen...
Baloo is a pain on the butt. The damn thing was indexing file content even though it was told not to. I had to completely disable it and reset the indexing DBs to make it work as intended.

>systemd broke during an update, had to revert to the previous version
That's unfortunate, but mostly a systemd issue. When using unstable/sid, I usually just pay attention to the dependencies being pulled from the repos and/or removed from the system. Everything else usually goes fine.

No u.

Konsole is great...
And it can be embedded into other KDE/Qt applications. Dolphin and Kate (for example) have a Konsole plugin that can be triggered by a hotkey, giving you a quick Terminal when you need it.

>mostly a systemd issue
It was, and that's my point: most open source projects don't do proper regression testing, and an intermediary between upstream and the end user is needed: in this case Debian developers. That's why I prefer stable/LTS distros, but I can see why others would prefer more up-to-date ones.

Are you saying the applications are bad?

apt install kde fluxbox

i use kali KDE as my test lab OS and its pretty comfy, why the hate?

This.
Somehow Unity still feels like the most modern DE on Loonix (especially with some muh flat theme).
I still hope that somebody will fork it in the future.

>cant uninstall galculator without uninstalling lxde and every single other dependency

What's the problem? pretty happy right now with plasma 5.

KDE would be awesome but every time I use something like Kubuntu 16.04, Linux Mint KDE, Fedora 26 KDE or even Debian it gives error notifications. It's annoying and I don't understand why it errors so much.

I haven't tried KDE Neon yet, maybe that will fix it.

What version you tried? i'm currently on 5.10.4, kde neon user edition. The only outstanding bug i've found is that kde shits itself if you activate either the slideshow wallpaper or the slideshow widget. This started to happen with the change to Qt 5.9 and it's being investigated, it used to work well with Qt 5.7. If you avoid the slideshow feature everything works fine.

Whatever shipped with those distros I mentioned. They were 5.x, that's all I know. I'll give Neon a shot, I heard it's pretty stable.

KDE is the only DE worth using, or XFCE if you're running a complete shitbox

Neon is Ubuntu 16.04 but with some extra repos tailorated to keep the kde software fresh. Everything else is just Ubuntu LTS.

Have you found a way to use the global menu with GTK apps like Libre Office?

Install LXQT

installing dolphin for the first time on gentoo takes longer to install with all the deps than it does to install firefox from source, it's a bit silly really

best to get used to it, people have been saying kde5 is too unstable to be production since it was first launched, many people were on kde4 for years as a result

>installing dolphin for the first time on gentoo takes longer to install with all the deps than it does to install firefox from source, it's a bit silly really
That's probably because you have the qt4 and/or qt5 flags set globally. They make it that you compile the webkit packages and other such things that take ages to compile. You can compile dolphin without those and it will be much quicker. And firefox has a firefox-bin.

At the moment GTK menus don't work with the global menu on KDE because they're different implementations AFAIK. You can read more here and there's the repo of a person who tried to create a translator for the menu model, you may try it.

github.com/kotelnik/plasma-applet-active-window-control/issues/78
github.com/rilian-la-te/menumodel-dbusmenu-translator

its

>tfw kde and gnome/cinnamon suck ass and break all the time but nothing else looks like its from this millennium

But KDE isnt working correctly on my jewbuntu. I like it so much but i don't want tobget rid of my jewbuntu and gnome works OOB.

budgie?

Aside from bonkers default keyboard bindings (there is window side by side snap, but it's not enabled, those keys are reserved for "move desktop zoom" for fucks sake) there is nothing wrong with KDE at its current state.

have you seen the development on budgie? you can't even edit preferences on your task icons and parameterize your applications. even fucking windows can do that.

budige is far from being good and providing the basic functionality of an DE as it's expected of.

How did you get that sweet KDE 3 theming? I'm sporting Win9x + Oxygen combo.

Fuck flat fad minimalism.

>budgie
is gnome.

Windows 10 doesn't have this problem.

>*cinnamon

>cinnamon
Is Gnome, too.

>apps

Yeah both its desktop and applications are shit.

Well, you're not wrong but cinnamon and gnome at least behave differently. Budgie is literally cinnamon.