/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Seiko-7F39-6029-Triple-Calendar-Day-Date-Moonphase-Quartz-Watch-Japan-/202010783244?epid=1929913969&hash=item2f08c7ee0c:g:4cMAAOSwdDBZhfsC
blackbough.co.uk/product/rolex-oyster-perpetual-datejust-chronometer-ref-16000-steel-vintage-wristwatch-circa-1982-wwropsj/
shop.bulangandsons.com/watches/curated-vintage-lv-rolex-love-sold.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like wearing a wrist watch.

Post a pic of you wearing the turtle and measure how big the top of your wrist is. ( I am thinking of getting one)

Me too. It's a part of me already. If I don't wear one I feel naked.

would I look like a fucking louse if I were to double phist??

apple watch on the right, rolex explorer 2 FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCKINNNGG POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLAAAAAAAAARRRRR or would that be extremely tacky / douchey?

>not getting one of these bad boys and wearing both on the same wrist.

Progress on my Invicta sub build, just waiting on parts to ship from Hong Kong to finish. Thoughts?

It's like not having your keys, phone and wallet in your pocket. Something feels off when you don't have them.

>Archie posting
>Thinking you're even remotely funny or original

I was thinking about this but didn't even bother to google if it actually existed, thanks I'll look into it

>seiko 5

k

My wrists are small 6.5" but flat. So I think I am about 50mm on the top of my wrist so I can wear the 47mm long turtle fine. Looks even smaller on my wrist irl.

why don't you take your 40 dollar watch and neck yourself m8.

why won;t seiko just update the fucking skx..

that looks fucking retarded bro the limit for a watch being too big is not it physically hanging over the isdes of your fucking wrist.

The SKX is a fugly, overglorified watch with a ridiculously bad movement (a diver without handwinding, seriously? Lol) and laughable value for money. The meme needs to stop.

eat a sandwich bro ffs

Just drop a NH35A in it with hacking/handwinding and you're good to go.

>Buying a Seiko
>Not modifying it

Hmm? I don't have any lug overhang. Here is a shot I just took when viewed from a distance. Perspective user.

way too big for your wrist man, you look like a preteen wearing their father's watch

I agree with you, I have the same wrist dimension as you and it doesn't look small at all, only when you're up close (then again, no shit) does it make it look dumb.

It isn't just the wrist, it's the proportion of everything. If you're a manlet and a DYEL and you're wearing a diver that's bordering too big, it's going to look infinitely worse.

Thinking about buying this and refurbishing, thoughts?

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Seiko-7F39-6029-Triple-Calendar-Day-Date-Moonphase-Quartz-Watch-Japan-/202010783244?epid=1929913969&hash=item2f08c7ee0c:g:4cMAAOSwdDBZhfsC

Here is mine, just for you bb.
My wrists are around 7.5 inches circumference. I don't have a ruler or calipers right now, but they are something like 2.5 inches wide. Also note that the strap was a bit tight, impinging on my wrist a bit.

where'd you get that NATO? I also have a 773, that looks nice!

n-not posting mine since wristlet..

Thanks. I think I got it from some random Amazon seller. I like how it sort of matches both the dial and the tint of the lume. I usually go between that one and a plain tan or blue one.

yes

Ref on this Rolex ?

Looks like a 14270. The 114270 looks the same but doesn't have tritium so it doesn't have the T

If you mean the grey dial DJ, looks like a 1601 (or another 160*) to me.

Yes , meant the Datejust

posted in the other thread but I'm just excited that it came today

blackbough.co.uk/product/rolex-oyster-perpetual-datejust-chronometer-ref-16000-steel-vintage-wristwatch-circa-1982-wwropsj/

seems to be a lot of hate for indian sellers. are they guarenteed fakes or what?

I'm honestly surprised how well the case has held up. I really wish they made them with a solid stainless case instead of what looks like nickle plating.

Wrong. The minute track isn't even the same color.

shop.bulangandsons.com/watches/curated-vintage-lv-rolex-love-sold.html

thank you

If the store is saying something like "Guaranteed genuine Seiko 5 A+++ friend" then yeah that shit is fake. Also a general rule of thumb is that if the seller's feedback is under 98%, you should be really careful. That purple watch you listed for example is from a seller that has a 94% feedback rating and multiple claims of broken or un-shipped watches; I'd rather buy a Vostok or Raketa from some seller in Ukraine at that point.

yeah, i'm surprised too. not a lot of pics of the case from the seller so i was very happy. and yeh slav watches are made of literal shit

tfw i just bought two "used" seikos from an indian seller on ebay

yu dun goofed

eh... at least they were in total only $30. i probably would have wasted that somewhere else

Fair enough. Post some pics of them if they ever show up.

will do

So let's set aside the shit that Omega cuck-axial gets for a second.
I'm aware that their original implementations only used a 2-level co-axial escapement which contributed to a number of problems, and was far from Daniels' design.
However, I have read that their later calibers, such as the 2500D I think, used 3-level escapements. Are the later movement still subject to the same issues even though they are 3-level?
Also, does anyone know if the 8900 is 3-level?

So a guy from the previous thread recommended me a SRP773 turtle instead of a skx007.
What would you guys get in my position? Is one of these options the objectively "better one"?

The new movement is still too young to reach to the conclusion to be honest.

SRP if you like vintage cushion case divers, SKX if you prefer the Submariner aesthetic.

Just thought I would post my absolute pure class Squale.

The movement in the turtle is a significant step up. However, it is also quite a bit larger than the SKX. Those are the objective differences. The turtle might also have slightly better QC. Which case shape you like better is a matter of personal taste.

I figured as much. Do all of the co-axials since they introduced it the first time have three levels? I'm not really too into Omega and I'm confused by the different names they have given their co-axial calibers. I'm mostly interested in the high magnetic resistance on their new calibers, as well as the potential of their globemaster line in the future design-wise.

TIMEly reminder

hororology is the first step into faggotry

horoLOLogy

FAGS

samefag from /fa/

a useful reminder for you to ponder.

wasting money on oh-so-sweet watches turns you into a faggot.

I really like the blue color, I don't really care about the shape quite frankly. So besides the matter of subjective taste, the turtle would be the more "mechanically" better choice?

Le LGBT Community '"man'"
------------------------------ ----------

A Useful reminder for you to ponder.

Wasting time antagonistically shitposting on oh-so-sweet watch threads on Sup Forums turns you into a faggot.

There are crimes far worse which I'm guilty off. I'm alright being a fag if the thing I'm passionate about brings me and many other people joy

That is correct. The turtle also has drilled lugs, so it is easier to swap the strap.

>Implying /wt/ and the watch general on /fa/ are all that different

Sweet!
The only thing I've read was that it's rather complicated to shorten the strap, can anyone confirm that?

referencing that one "why do people like watches so much wahhh" thread

The stock turtle bracelet has screws or pin holders or something, so adding or removing links to the stock bracelet takes a bit more work and care than a pin-only bracelet.

If you mean the bracelet yea stock bracelet is clunky and uses a pin and collar system. I highly recommend the strapcode super jubilee. Super comfy.

I'm Joerg Schwamenfeld from Geneve. I built watches and enjoy horology threads on x. My father buily watches for all his life. My grandfather started this enterpreneurship.

I am gay.

>Date complication
I threw up in my mouth a bit, having autism is so irritating

I'm Hans Schimmerthal from Bern. I build watches and enjoy horology threads on b. My father built watches for all his life. My grandfather started this enterpreneurship.

I am gay.

I really like both to be honest. The thing is I've heard the 007 got discontinued recently (which would make the turtle kinda the successor, right?) and I'm afraid prices will skyrocket in the near future.
What do you think about getting the skx first and getting the turtle afterwards?

>turtles

>bracelets

THIS THREAD IS TOXIC AND GAY

Both watches are reissues of older Seiko dive watches. There has been the rumor that the SKX is going out of production for a while, but I haven't seen any real evidence of that.

Lets say I throw in the sumo for competition too as it looks pretty similar. Does that change anything?
I'm currently reading through some reviews of the turtle and the majority say it has some real QC issues and you have to be rather lucky to receive a good one.

I sense a faggish scent in this thread... what's this?

lamo where's the watch hate coming from

The sumo is amazing, possibly my favorite watch. Be careful thought, because it is fairly large as well, and doesn't hide the lugs as well as the other two. The bezel is love or hate, as are the hands. Most people swap out the sumo bracelet, and I may eventually, but the stock one has grown on me. The case finishing on the sumo is on another level from the skx and turtle. The movement in the sumo is also a step up from the turtle.
However, I heard another user mention that the turtle QC had been cleared up. You can also try to order off Amazon, or some other place with a good return policy so you can send back a lemon if you get one. The sumo is also a significant price jump.

I like that GMT reference a lot. Not my favorite dial on the datejust, but a nice one all the same.

Looks rad. However now that you mentioned it I saw that's it is in fact more expensive. So I guess I'm not considering it for now.
God I can't wrap my head around it. I'm so torn I'd love to get both the SKX and the turtle.
I'll probably order them both simultaneously from amazon since like you said they have a pretty nice return policy and I'll keep the one that suits me better. Maybe I'll just keep 'em both.

Alright how about a bit more of LARP collection building game. Five piece collection for your dream gf. Normalfags need not apply.

The Rolex Penis.

What are you wearing today /wt/?

Love that glossy dial, reminds me of my slavshit

Sup /wt/, anybody know where I can find a good quality reproduction of the rolex ad (or similar ads) in this here shitpost, in obnoxious dorm room poster size? I wear a seiko my dad bought me since I'm a broke student but I want to aspire for something greater.

Turtle is 10/10. Be aware your bezel won't align more than likely, but that's also common with the SKX. The 773's blue is nice asf, it's a deep navy that looks very bright blue in direct sunlight and basically black in the dark. If you want a sunburst turtle, look at the Padi and the Blue Lagoon, both look awesome.

People were paying $400 for this thing when it came out due to the hype. You can find them for ~$200 now. Bought mine straight from a Seiko outlet for $200 dead even. For that price, it's a steal and well worth it over the SKX. The case design is so nice, it curves upwards on the sides so when you bend your wrist you barely notice it.

>wristlet

Yes, I know. If you're a wristlet, make sure you go and try one on before buying. I'm like the guy with the SRP775 in this thread @ 6.5" wrist, I'm fine with it. If I took a picture of my entire body, it matches, wrist only it's getting there. Don't even bother thinking about a Sumo (51.5 mm L2L compared to 47mm with Turtle) if you're a wristlet.

Is that pic without fish eyes effect? if so then your wrist is the same as mine lel

Your wrist looks smaller then 6.5"

We're both wrong and I've concluded God either hates me or made me retarded in more ways than I initially thought.

W..what if I'm a manlet but I lift?
Seriously though, it's a goddamn diver it can be big

How much difference is there if you measure where you actually wear your watch?

No good light for a picture now so here is an old pic. I'll post a picture for what I wear tomorrow when I wake up.

Not much at all, basically makes it 7 inches dead on, I checked before I took the photo, just have watch on to show it's me

Agreed. A diver / tool watch is supposed to be big. This board just loves dress watches so they love tiny watches. The trend is definitely moving towards small watches doe

what are some good watches for women? wanting to get gf a cool shitter

Congrats user

holy shit that font! any idea how old? mines 1960

van cleef & arpels pont des amoureux

My family gave it to me; they picked it up from a seller in Bucharest who claims it's from the fifties. Could be true; I'm not an expert in slav watches at all.

god damn you're a lucky dude. what size is that? 33 like mine?

link to strap? I seem to have trouble finding this style on ebay.