/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega soon.

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/cTz7LD
youtu.be/2_fAzBB_oAQ
pcpartpicker.com/list/bWjZYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/twpHyf
pcpartpicker.com/list/sxP6HN
homedepot.com/p/6-Outlet-Wall-Mount-Surge-Protector-YLCT-30/203353681
pcpartpicker.com/list/VK8Yjc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

delet this thread

Why? There was none in the catalog.

Wow good timing. I resorted to /wsr/ for advice on my first build, and someone nicely pointed out OP made one.

I attempted for an 800 dollar build for gaming and for CAD. How did I do for the first time? Is there any where I can improve or recommendations? I would love to be able to squeeze more power out of it since right now pcpartpicker has me at 770 and I don't mind going over 800 much.

pcpartpicker.com/list/cTz7LD

Say I want to stream on Twitch as a career? Around what specs should I aim for? Or is it just generally like PC's in the 1000 range pretty much?

I'm working on an eBay build, already got an HD7850 for cheap. What CPU should I be looking for, and FX series?

Been out of the loop for awhile. Why are i5's not recommended? Also, I was lead to believe Ryzen was a meme and a letdown so why are they so popular?

Ryzen is great, but make sure to really research RAM/MOBO

1050ti for gaming? maybe at low resolutions at low settings. go for an rx 580 at least, if you can squeeze it, a 1060 6gb.

Is this disinfo shill: the post?

youtu.be/2_fAzBB_oAQ

So I'm moving into an apartment for coming year of college. Unfortunately my landlord doesn't have the room I'm renting rigged for an ethernet connection, which means I have to buy a wifi adapter for my desktop. I've been looking at PCI adapters, and it got me thinking to just get a new CPU and MOBO with wifi included.

Should I? Here's what I'm running with now, is it time to start upgrading? Specifically, the MOBO and CPU?

Man, building a Craigslist/eBay build is painful. All those great deals that you don't need/can't afford...
Good luck mang.

Get a ryzen 7, you need those extra cores. GPU doesn't really matter for streaming, just get whichever one gives you a smooth experience. Gamersnexus did a vide about streaming a week or so ago, you could check that out.

It's an option, yes. You'll need to replace that CPU soon if you want to do anything remotely taxing, so might as well do it now. You won't get good gaming performance without replacing the graphics card though, so if you care about that and are on a tight budget then blowing everything on a new processor is not the smartest idea.

I was planning to just start upgrading now, and do it piece be piece.
I was imagining to start with the CPU/MOBO, then get a new GPU, then SSD, then case, and just carry over my PSU.
So the smartest option is just buy a PCI wifi adapter?

I want to upgrade my GPU, I currently have a radeon hd 7850. I've been looking at the GTX 1060 6gb, or the RX 580. My question is, do you think the price of these will go down once Vega comes out?

>So the smartest option is just buy a PCI wifi adapter?
or just get a motherboard with built in wifi

Ultimately I think it is a budget decision. PCI cards are cheap, a new mobo+CPU+RAM is obviously way more. While your old i5 doesn't appear to be overclockable, I know people that get by fine on an i5 2400 Dell Optiplex. Old i5s are still fine for 1080p gaming if you're a gamer (Although you may look into a new GPU when prices fall again)

Do we know anything about gpu price drops? Right now my r9 380 is still doing ok, might drop a setting here and there, but I'm kinda looking at some replacement. From what I know something similar to 380 now would be 1060/580, but right now those are extremely overpriced. Is there any info about volta and new mid range cards?

likely, just wait as the release date is pretty close.

vega apparently has very good hash rates. If i had to guess 580s should at least be available at 250$ again, but dropping back to 170-190 is unlikely.

Yeah, I noticed this bitcoin bullshit has jacked up the prices. Is there any consensus on when they should start dropping? I'll just live with my setup as is and buy the pieces for the new one over the coming months.

If you're going to replace your motherboard soon then the most cost effective option is replacing it now without buying additional hardware. It just means that you'll have to wait a bit before getting the new graphics card to improve your framerates.

If that wait takes too long in your opinion then get the wifi card and a new graphics card now. It depends on how much excess income you earn and what level of hardware you aim for.

>inb4 i refresh amazon in 24 hours and vega is already sold out after a few minutes

Well the wifi card is happening regardless, I'll transfer it to the new build once the new one is done.
If I buy a new mobo I'll have to get a new CPU, unless I just shelf it until I get the CPU, as I'd buy one to use with a ryzen chip.

Gigabyte has B350 ITX board with wifi.

New mobo also means new RAM, which the price has gone up on. WiFi card is the smartest investment imo. You can always resell or reuse it later.

What's the catalyst behind RAM going up now?

shortages in NAND flash memory. Same thing is affecting the price of SSDs.

Just good ol' Supply v. Demand iirc. Something like the NAND chips are used in phones, SSDs, and RAM. Apple has a new phone soon...

Truly the worst time to upgrade/buy new pc. Prices of ram/ssd/gpu through the roof

Does anybody know what speeds RAM runs at on Ryzen 7 1700x?
They said 2667 MHz but they said that for the 1600 and I got over 3000.

you do realize a 580 is better than a 1060

In my experience it's more dependent upon the mobo and its BIOS. I am currently at 3200 MHz with my latest BIOS update. I haven't seen many going above 3200 though.

Thanks. That is good to know.

Just got an AM4-5300 and fan for $8, what the fuck do I do with this?

Sell it?

Not make a shitty build?

just buy a computer dont go threw the trouble of building a computer is cheaper and safer to just buy one. i suggest a macbook personally

Not worth it.

Thanks! I just wanted to know a general pathway so I can build around that.

That's not very fun of you.

My old Dell L800CXE retro system blew its ps after 16 yrs. I know dell totally fucked with the atx wiring back in those days so that if you tried to swap everything into a new case with psu you'd end up frying the mobo/components. So I hunted around and came across a converter cable that fixes Dell's screwed up wiring and allows a standard ATX ps to be used with existing parts. Question is has anyone ever used such a cable before? Theory behind it is sound so I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I know that back then there was no such thing as "80+" energy efficiency ratings so I dunno how modern psu's would take to an old board from 2001.

Fine have fun with it! I've messed around with some APU builds, and in 2017, I just don't have the creativity to find a use for them. HTPCs are a meme but you could try that. Try to make some kind of server or NAS setup if you get a mobo with gigabit ethernet.

In my experience though, FM2 boards tend to be unreliable.

I could get the cheapest coomponents possible and a 1337 gaymur case and try to sell it for like $200.

hello please rate

-Corsair 300R
-CX750 750w
-MSI 990FXA GAMING
-FX 8350
-16 GB HyperX Fury 1866mhz
-Re-using Radeon HD7750 from my old rig
-Cooler Master Hyper TX3

I've got everything except my CPU and RAM, been buying parts for cheap because poor. Can't wait to start building.

???
???????
??????
?????????

Rating depends on goal and price range. Tell us what you wqnt with this and your budget.

if its one of those 24 pin to 8 pin mobo adapters they work fine.

wat the fak

>he doesnt want a raid 0 with 10x 256GB shark cards

Well, I was going to use my new 5400 to make a terrible mini-itx build, but after seeing motherboard prices I might just try to resell it.

Any opinions on getting a refurbished 1060 for 200 american dollars?

Trying to make a decent gaming rig with it.

>FX 8350

Is there any way you could scrape together 80$ for a b350 am4 motherboad and 110$ an r3 1200?

Better build, better speed, much better energy efficieny, and a modern socket so you could upgrade again until 2020.

3GB or 6GB?

Nothing wrong with used components, so long as you see them working, but the 3GB is pretty fucking terrible and you are better off with a 1050TI.

He'd also need $85 for 8GB og fast ram

The RAM situation is bullshit, I remember back in 2016 it was like 80 bucks for a 16 gig kit.

What's the best ultracheap CPU? I'm talking

thanks. i was looking at a 3gb gpu, but it makes sense of it being shit.

NAND shortages are affecting ram and SSD prices

Artificial shortages

wouldn't surprise me. They do the same shit with diamonds. They're actually common as dirt.

Plus it's old DDR3 that's been sitting around, I'm just lucky I got my MSI board for $100 with the way things are looking, and I don't even care for gaming shit, Originally wanted a 990FX-UD3, but everyone's being an asshole.

Already have a good comp & want to get a laptop that won't quite make me want to gouge my eyes out.

Which would make the bigger difference with vidya?
7700hq (4core/8thread 2.8ghz) with a 5400rpm HDD
or
7300hq (4core/4thread 2.5ghz) with a 7200rpm HDD
?

going for a 1050, an SSD for the OS, & 8gb ram as well.

either a core 2 quad Q9400 if you need 4 cores, or a A6-6400K if you don't.

Thanks.

What is going to stop intel from pulling the same illegal business practices as last time? Like paying companies such as dell a significant amount of money to sell a small percentage of amd processor? Or hell, not to sell amd processors all together?

Userbenchmark says that the i5 7600k is better than the r7 1600 while costing less (at least in italy). Is that true?

Also should i upgrade now or wait for new releases? I'm using an i5 3570k.

Hey, need some assistance with fans. I'd like to lighten up my case alittle with led fans. In front i would like to use Corsair hd120s or similiar but hd120's dont have SP version for radiators. Basicly my question is, is there a set fans that both have bot version SP and AF and can lightning can be controlled over a controller

I think AMD shit relies heavily on OC'ing to be competitive atm.
And last I heard, so long as it's got that, it's slightly better than intel's alternative.

Is that what you were looking at?

Probably.

Well i don't want to OC since day one, so i guess i'll wait for newer models

poorfag complete build
vs
vs
pcpartpicker.com/list/twpHyf

All I should need is a hdmi cable and a win 10 key to run out of the box right?

User benchmarks is pretty shit, and relies on simple retarded synthetic numbers.

The i5 has better single core but the R5 1600 blows it out of the water in multicore.

As far as pricing goes, in most of the world the i5 is at an irrelevant price point, but make sure you are not confusing an R5 and an R7.

You can run win10 with no key for as long as you want (full drivers, games, etc), but you get a watermark in the lower right and can't change desktop backgrounds.

The ryzen based builds have a better upgrade path. Switch to 2*4GB unless you plan on picking up another 8GB soon.

>win10
Don't do this

>oc to 3.6ghz
>set ram to profile xmp-2

help

before and after

Return everything to how it was

I want to get a ryzen cpu but my only problem is that it's PGA and my hands shake so much specially when dealing with small fragile expensive stuff.
How fragile are the pins on the cpu? I'd appreciate an example.

I'm planning on putting my PC on a surge protector I currently own. I assume it will run about 300W or above (if I overclock).

I don't have many outlets in my room, they are all spread out. Will connecting my build to the surge protector, connected to the outlet cause any hazard? Should it be placed on a separate outlet?

Here is the build: pcpartpicker.com/list/sxP6HN

Here is the current surge protector I currently own: homedepot.com/p/6-Outlet-Wall-Mount-Surge-Protector-YLCT-30/203353681

They're pretty stiff, but if you want to play it safe you can quickly place it on the socket, and nudge it till it drops in the holes.

i don't even understand what the fuck

>Ryzen 6 core going faster than an X79 6 core
I know Sandy bridge E is old as fuck but compared to piledriver that's fucking cool.

So it's been a while since I looked at consumer hardware. Why is every guide recommending amd now? Seems like just 6-12 months ago, Intel processors dominated the market.

I would reccomend displayport for monitors that can use it.
Also get 1x8 if you plan to buy another of the same type, 2x4 if you don't.

AMD's new RYZEN stuff doesn't have sub core 2 duo performance, so AMD rigs are viable for gaming.

Ryzen is good for its prices.
AMD made a pretty strong comeback.

Get whatever you need for a gaming PC, and a second computer to run the stream. Otherwise, 8 cores at least.

AMD shrunk from 32nm to 14nm and shoved a bunch of cores that are properly soldered to the IHS

Suddenly intel has real competition

Ryzen 1600x vs i7 6700/7700, how well does it stack up for games? Are we talking equal performance, barely edges out, or does about 3/4 as much but dat price makes it worth it? I'm buying AMD over Intel regardless, just wanna know what I'm getting myself into.

7700 is still better for pure MUH GAMES, but this could change, especially for shitty console ports, as both consoles have 6 core shit in them, so maybe we will get better multi-threading soon.

AM4 socket is good until 2020 as well so who knows what zen2 will bring. Meanwhile, coffee lake is not compatible with z200 series that the 7700 is on.

The 6700 seems rather irrelevant.

I have a 670 FTW, an i5 4440 and 8gb of ddr3 which one these need an upgrade the most?

I'd say the 670.
If you don't mind buying used an old 300 series Radeon or 900 series GTX card will do you some good.

Rate my gayming/workstation build
pcpartpicker.com/list/VK8Yjc
I put a gtx 960 because it's the cheapest graphics card i found and all mid range cards are overpriced or out of stock.
When will graphics cards go back to their normal price?
Also should i get a SATA SSD or NVME M.2 SSD. Nvme rated speed is 2000mb while sata ssd is 500mb how true is this?

Poorfag here. My power supply died.

Part picker lists my draw at 218.
I have an older hp psu rated at 220.
How stupid would I be to try to run it or should I just suffer until I can replace it?

Wouldn't recommend stressing that oem psu, get a large cheapshit psu like a 750w CX or EVGA N1 750w and be comfy.

Good build, though the PSU could be a bit overkill.
I would recommend maybe a 1060 but if you can get a 960 for $50 that's good.
As for SSDs, you should research that and see if it benefits your use case.
Don't fucking run that. Risk/reward is way too high considering PSUs aren't terribly expensive.

Roger that.