I FUCKING HATE MATHEMATICS!

I'm being forced to learn Math in order to stay at college learning programming, but the point is that i actually like programming - at least from what i experienced. I think i'm already getting depressed because of it, right now i'm studying something called "summation notation" (or sigma notation), and just like equations the initial concept is so simple a 12 year old kid would understand, but it can get really complex too and that's what i'm learning at college right now. I'm not stupid, i'm learning this thing, i understand how it works pretty well and i'm doing exercises everyday so i won't get fucked on the test, but i hate it just because it is something i don't see any useful and the whole calculation process is the most boring thing ever. My teacher said that it can be useful in Pascal programming and stuff and i believe him, of course it is useful for something but it doesn't seem useful for me. At least in the programming classes, where we are learning Pascal because as the teacher said "it is good to start with because it is pretty easy to learn" i am having fun just because writing code is fun, making a CMD window print "hello world" is fun, and i have been in HTML and CSS since high school and i also have fun writing HTML and CSS code, i have seen a little of C++, JAVA and Python before and even thought it looks complicated i'm still interested in learning, but when it comes to math, it just makes me want to get out of college and learn programming all by myself.

Before getting into college i thought i would be there in front of a computer all day with a nerdy teacher telling us how to write code, but here i am with a book doing math exercises instead of learning Pascal, this is not what i wanted...

Other urls found in this thread:

painlessprogramming.blogspot.hr/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>CS Students are actually this retarded

pleb

here we can see the common webdev in larval form

Cool blog post brotato, how do I subscribe?

Learning pascal in this year of our lord and saviour

If you got into something like computer science in order to learn programming, I'm afraid you've made a huge mistake. Should've gone into some kinda engineering and learned it on your own time.

Pascal seems like a good career choice, gl OP!

You better hope you get to use a bunch of math later in your career. Because there is nothing fucking fun about printing a string, or going into the code of some guy who used the "print a string" function 50 times for 50 lines and fixing it to be less retarded.

Yeah, some of it will go over your head (forever?) but other stuff is pretty cool. Some of it will be useful, some won't. To me it's really a test of your creativity later on: are you smart enough to look back at what you've learned, and figure out a smart way to solve a problem?

this is why affirmative action doesn't work

Computer Science is the study of computation, obviously you need to learn mathematics if you wish to learn about computation.
You're free to learn more about programming in your free time.
Perhaps you can write a program that will solve the math exercises? That sounds like fun and will expand your knowledge both with respect to math and programming.

Everything is useful in math if you learn or try to think how a problem can be solved using an method. If you feel uninterested, study Pascal to have a better grasp on how it works. This way you can learn or fix the information better in your brain.

ADS student here.

Much of programming is having intermediate representations of data in a concise format. Its an import skill to be able to decipher symbols and map them to proper ideas.

>ADS student here.

same.

Not OP, but curious autist.
What mathematics should know good programmer?
Probability, obviously, statistics, sure. Anything else?

Calculus, linear algebra, probability and statistics, automata theory, numerical analysis, logic.

the core is a lot of discrete mathematics

So... At what point someone is more mathematician than programmer..?
I know in old days all programmers were mathematicians, but world have changed.

>discrete mathematics

That's exactly the math field i'm learning right now, it says here that the whole first semester will be about discrete math.

These are pretty basic subjects, mechanical engineers or economists learn much more complicated maths. For a code money it's redundant of course.

certainly not while you're still in school, you little shite
you're not anything except a student right now

As my teacher said, Pascal is mostly used today to introduce people into programming because it is very easy to learn.

where can i find good babby-tier lessons? and i'm talking about basic shit.

yeah taking courses in math is pretty shit. i don't need to know how it works, as long as it does work, or prove asinine things to be able to use the mathematics for something more important. not going to be programming proofs.

>i don't need to know how it works, as long as it does work, or prove asinine things
unfortunately i needed that and didn't get it because that's not how math is taught in my slice of burgerstan. i couldn't even divide properly until college.

fucking plebian

Thank goodness these types drop out quickly

Honestly, as far as math in programming, it depends on what you want to do. I'm ok with maths, had all the required stuff, plus some statistics and other shit. Went into game design, we made complete games at school. Did it in teams and used unity and c#.

Having unity, or any engine that can do complex math behind the scenes for you, limits your actual need for heavy maths. Unless your program or game gets into some really complex shit like you are making your own shaders or any other waste of time project.

I know engineers that took all kinds of math then get a job in ingeneering and don't use any of it. They just get products from competitors and take them apart, change them enough for legal reasons, pretend they made it from scratch.

>complaining about math
I bet you never know how to learn all by yourself.
Kys manbaby.

Studying in general is plebeian

what a baby, clearly hasn't even got up to Laplace TFs.

Just go to a trade school to learn programming you retard.

>he thinks CS comes anywhere near being a mathematician
why are programmers so retarded

I remember at the previous gig when I was literally sent to another country for years so I could help supposedly competent programmers do 9th grade linear algebra and matrix math.

People like you are the reason I get paid a lot. Thanks.

this
fuck math

The only reason they are teaching you mathematics is to make you able to easily understand the time duration of algorithms.

Other then that, if you are going to create software, you will need to incompass a lot of mathematical formulas.
Also, mathematical constructs are an effective way of showing abstract low-level structure of your program.

CS degrees should just be a mathematics degree with computational theory courses.
But I fucking hate that you cannot get that anywhere but the top universities.

Theorist cattle

>sigma notation is complicated
nigga it just means add up this stuff
You really don't understand what's involved in a maths degree

>You really don't understand what's involved in a maths degree
Sure I do. Why wouldn't I?

do a math degree if you want to learn math
computational theory is easy to teach yourself

t. thinks math needs real life applications

>computational theory is easy to teach yourself
Yeah if you do babby's first computational theory class.

I don't get your point. You realize a math degree covers around 90% of what you'll need to know, right? The rest is so basic you can google it.

The whole point of going to college is that you learn more than just your field of study.

Literally anyone can teach themselves to code, especially some pleb shit like JS, HTML, and CSS. Basic programming is taught to fucking everyone in STEM too, so you aren't fucking special because you wrote a bash script. A solid understanding of calc 1+2, linear algebra, statisics, and discrete mathematics. You're pretty much already considered the retards on campus because every other STEM program takes at least 3 more advanced classes than that. You pretty much fucked up as bad as possible going to school for CS if you can't handle this shit and expected comfy classes where a professor just teaches you how to write good code. You're just going to be a NEET if you drop out, and you'll be outshined by a pajeet if you stay in.

You're fucked OP.

Theorist cattle

Applied mathematics students take all the basic coding classes that CS do in their first 2 years.
CS students take all the math courses applied mathmatics people take in their first year.
They're very closely related, since all math is done computationally now, and computation involves a lot of math.
In my school applied math is only a 3 year program though.

Look, math is important or in this case, calculus.
If you don't like math just try and pass it, there is nothing stopping you from doing bad at math and doing good at programming.

Too bad math majors all require programming too.

desu I think all STEM degrees should take a programming course.

>i hate math
This is the Absolute Current State of Sup Forums

Yeah, calc is fucking rough

>I hate math
get out of the field OP, we have enough pajeets.

If you are going to be any good at programming you should learn number theory and probability at a minimum.

calculus if you expect to be programming vidya

>geometry
>shit-tier
What a fucking plebian. Geometry is literally foundation for mathematics

You're joking right? You know there are public schools in the affluent parts of several suburbs in America, featuring kids taking calculus in the 10th grade? In fucking public schools, where not everybody is a whiz.

Grow the fuck up. Calculus is not hard. Summations are definitely not hard. Your fucking ti84 can do basic ones, for christs sake.

whoever wrote this was retarded.

Cryptography IS applied number theory

it has number theory as god tier and cryptography as shit tier.

they are the same fucking thing. Try to find any modern number theory class which doesnt use cryptography as the modern application of number theory

t. Number theory student

it's foundational which is why it's for babies and brainlets
>applied "math"

It used to be, but modern foundation is set theory.

>whoever wrote this was retarded.
And so user told the onlookers "behold, I have found the truth and it is thus!"

Alas, for in his infinite wisdom he did not dare to understand those lower than him. These forgotten plebes had already discovered the secrets.

>"The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
>Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact."

>applied "math"
absolutely.
without application math is only a form of art which gives rise to structures and patterns, it is the application of it which gives it power

Software engineering student here, studying in foreign country. Our school system didn't teach things I was expected to know of basic maths, so I struggled with it too. Discrete maths wasn't that hard, just the basics. It's very needed though.

>CS student complaining about having to learn baby maths

Programming and math is manipulation of symbols.
Being good at math and being good at programming is two separate skills, but you need both if you want to make something significant.
I have never heard anyone refer to summation as sigma notation before, but if you have it hard now, drop out.
Seriously, there is so many things you can do, you don't have to be a programmer.
Any field benefits from programming, so find a way to work in those areas.

Eg, a welder is not what you typically would associate with programming, but in order to keep costs down, most manufacturers use robots now.
Programming robots require a lot of mathematics from everything to motion planning to analysis of the system.
But while there are people who do the backend programming, there is also people who program the robots to do a specific project.
They don't need to know about these things as they can just click around the 3d model of the workcell and input the angles etc to create the abstract instructions for the robot.

Nobody will ever tell you how to write code, that is not how programming is taught.
They may briefly teach you about syntax, good practices or how to get started, but they are more likely to tell you what to do and then tell why the results you give is not good enough.
If you want to drop out, do it before you have wasted a lot of time on getting an education for something you can't do and don't like doing.

tfw doing a master in control engineering.

Mostly doing it for the mathematics and physics as I already have a few software ventures on their way.
Software is the best when you can combine it with knowledge from another field.

Real & Complex analysis, Topology, Abstract algebra, group theory, differential geometry, algebraic geometry, langlands program, dynamical systems, PDE's etc.

>combine it with knowledge from another field.
Then it gets useful, yes.
The computer vision used in snapchat is just as hard to implement as it is anywhere else, but detecting wether or not someone has their mouth open vs detecting the accurate position and orientation of an object you want to pick up makes the robot guys seem more professional.
I guess that is the difference between engineers and researchers.
Engineers build stuff using the knowledge they have and researchers build stuff to get knowledge.

>CS degrees should just be a mathematics degree with computational theory courses.
Then do a math degree with and take ToC courses?
CS is more than just ToC.

This is what I'm thinking OP. Study something practical and do your coding on the side. I'm just a guy on the internet though. Don't plan your future based on my opinions.

Why don't you give the math a chance? You may like it. Try to broaden your horizons, OP.

We used the same book.
Calc is easy though, you just need to not approach it like normalfags. That means, you need to grasp the theory before solving problems. Normalfags don't understand this, they go to lectures and then go straight to solving problems (most often just the required ones).

mathlets are everything that is wrong with this world. They need to be gassed.

Probably
Don't let this attitude lower your morale like I did, OP. I've failed every math course in a tough CS program so far. If I fail one more course (and I probably will when the hardest courses like algos come up), I'll be kicked out of the major, even though I've been above average in all the programming courses so far. This is likely to happen, and I'll have to fall back to sysadmin major or something. I didn't try in any math course, from calc to discrete, as much as I could have because I felt the same way you do, and I'm paying the price for it now.

Don't be like me. With the ultraoverfuckingsaturation of CS nowadays (our program is overflowing), I think the window of possibility of being hired without a CS degree is decreasing -- if it was ever that large to begin with.

Doesn't even know algebra exists.

>Geometry Shit tier
>Calculus Top tier

Whoever did this, never got beyond Vector Calculus...

Becoming a geometer is the closest you can get to godhood.

You're not a mathematician until you finish Analysis

fuck you lad

I am a web dev and I studied applied math. I bet you barely passed calc III and linear algebra.

>implying you can "finish" Analysis

>I am a web dev and I studied applied math

what a waste
why didn't you go to an investment bank or something

>Statistics shit tier

god tier for cash if you go branch into the machine learning meme right now

BS in CS must be erase and only allow MS in CS for mathematics or Physics.

the world needs competent web devs user
>why didn't you go to an investment bank or something
because
>they will drug test me upon hiring and I will not pass as I am a faggot stoner
>current employer lets me wear whatever I want
>they let me use whatever distro and software I want too
I also want to start teaching calculus and other math during night classes at the local community college.

Not that I haven't thought about your suggestion user.

That comment is more retarded that the post

Isn't discrete math HS stuff though? The problems are kind of repetitive so it shouldn't be that hard,

You sound better off becoming an hero

Programming languages are more expressive versions of the common mathematics language.
Mathematics is just a way to document a logical process.

> I HATE MATH

So you hate programming? You hate logic? Stop bitching and apply yourself. The same shit you "hate" is what made our modern life of luxury possible.

>If you feel uninterested, study Pascal to have a better grasp on how it works
How does Pascal come into this equation?

>calculus

That's not a field retard

>mfw Math and CS were best of bros in my school
>mfw surprisingly big number of double majors

Math TA here: Drop out. No, seriously. You're so focused on how much you hate math that you don't even realize math hates you too. Stop wasting our time and let us spend it on people who will actually become productive members of society.

learn to programm here:
painlessprogramming.blogspot.hr/

There is no point in learning professional programming if you don't have the tolerance and patience for math.

Go study sociology, gender studies or some shit like that fag. If you can't deal with such basic math then programming won't be more than a hobby for you.

well, I'm no pro neither in math nor programming. I only know a few languages and, as per "advanced math", some linear algebra.

I'm a webdev too, and am beginning my studies in OpenGL. I find it to be very cool.

As far as I know, you'll need math if you want to do more than mere GUIs and websites, and programs that do exactly what a human hand may as well do in the computer, but would require repetitive effort that could be automated, or simple optimizations and GUI-versions of already-existant programs.

So there's that. If you want to program graphics -- renderers, shaders etc. --, or if you want to delve into CAD stuff, you'll need math.

I also heard that some ultra-specific activities, like kernel-optimization for specific tasks (such as database interaction), require calculus (which is also true in some graphics work).

Besides, the logic you'll learn from math will help you write better code faster.

I myself am studying psychology on my University and math on the side.

Also remeber that Math is the closest we get to objective truth without maddening ourselves with paradox.

programming is all about problem solving, and math will teach you that. Learning how to use muh framework or some syntax of a couple languages won't make you a computer scientist. Even a teenager can do it without going to a college. Look at the major softwares out there, tons of maths behind them. If you don't want to deal with that, don't expect to reach too far.

Its a nice exercise, i did it once. It was fun

All that stuff is super important. Sigma notation is useful in understanding algorithm analysis and seeing why an algorithm like bubble sort is O(n^2) while other sorts are O(log n).

You may not be working with sorting algorithms all the time (since they are often built into the core lang) but eventually you'll be working on a web dev project or something and run into suff like nested comments and need to understand the theory behind trees

You know what I don't like OP. I don't like when people ramble on about their common shit. you typed so much and said so little. everyone in comp sci hates the math stuff for the most part and its a very common problem. for example some of my classmates went into networking instead. i'm glad i was able to pass the math sections and stay in programming. i like programming in c# a lot. but other stuff is mundane. like doing chores and taxes. I really wish I didn't have to do those things and could just program in c# a lot more. i spent a lot of time on computers in high school so it would make sense that i enjoy it, unlike math. I can do the math, I just don't like it as much. But most people think comp sci will be only programming and then they are surprised when there are other requirements like electives and English and math. I even had to take a chemistry class. I don't enjoy chemistry as much as I enjoy c#, but I do enjoy it more than doing taxes.

CS is more or less a type of applied math. CS degrees aren't intended to teach you to program though you usually learn to while in them. They exist to teach you CS theory which is math.

If you liked dicking around in html and css and not much else you should do something else. Html isn't really a programming language per se anyway. See if you like your algorithms course when you take it. If you do, stay, otherwise, you're not a CS person and you'd be happier being a code monkey at a startup or something.

Programming is nothing. If all you can do is program, you are a code monkey. Good programming comes from higher thinking, which is encouraged through the study of math and the hard sciences.