My employer is going to force me to use an iphone at work within a few months...

My employer is going to force me to use an iphone at work within a few months. Some of our company's inner functions available for employees will apparently be run on ios and every employee will be given an iphone to supposedly do our work more efficiently.

I've never owned an iphone. After the demise of Nokia's Maemo/meego and sailfish os, I've been using android for number of years, flashing roms and so on. I'm kinda deep into google's pocket, even though I'm using lineage os.

What am I getting into with newest iphone? Is there a file browser? Will I have to install itunes to transfer pictures off the device (I'm not going to use any apple's cloud services, if possible). Due to having to use specific apps on ios I cannot just take the sim and throw it into a multisim android.

iOS 11 is supposedly getting a file browser. How good it is remains to be seen.

I use an email service to get pictures off the device.

you wont have to do almost anything at all op, just a glossy os with a nice battery life difference, for files you use your lighting charger usb and plug it into your computer for file transfer, If you do icloud its easier for file transfer because you can sign in online and download your files online instantly. Have fun dont be negative iphones just an iphone some androids are better then iphones i admit it but dont knock it till you try or do it.

Don't worry user it could be worse me and my friends and my dad have all had various blackberries forced on us at various companies

If you run modern nix you'll be fine I can just drag and drop to my iPhone 6s in Debian and it just works

File browser is called Ifile but you will want a jailbreak. The ios11 file viewer is still gimped

tldr I use nix on my MBA and it works great with my iPhone. Funnily enough not many too how too guides... You'll work it out

>jailbreaking a company owned device

OP Is retarded and here is why.

You are only forced to use that phone for work related things so you don't need a file browser and all that other shit.
You have a personal android phone for personal things.

Are you 12?
I thought this site was 18+

You have some heavy bias user

The iPhone jailbreak I use 9.2.1 is semi untethered and uses a legit Apple developer certificate to install cydia. If you reboot your phone and let the cert expire it reverts back to stock and no one will know. Relax.

This.
My work has something similar to OP where they give us phones for work which are also iPhones.
I have my own personal android device for things that are not related to work.

user you don't jailbreak a company's device.

>get phone from work for work purposes
>intend to use it as your private phone
It's a fucking work phone you dumb shit. Use it for work stuff. Use your own whatever-phone-you-like for private stuff.

Yeah but I travel quite a bit for work, almost every week so I'll have to carry two phones and chargers for them.

Why I thought about the filebrowser was due to the fact that iphone's camera is probably okayish, which would let me to use it for pics and I wouldn't have to consider camera quality thoroughly when choosing my next android device.

On the other hand, I don't want my dick pics get into apple's cloud so I may have to reconsider

i used iphones for a number of years

>no sms recieved notification (big problem IMO)
>no easy file transfer (need itunes ALWAYS)

> VERY locked down system (retard proof) unless jailbroken

>Updates usually will slow down your phone as to force you to buy a new on...updates cannot be rolled back :^)

Just don't sign into the iCloud, and do encrypted backups on a PC with iTunes that isn't connected to the internet.

>takes dick pics on company phone
>skittish about an untethered jailbreak that might give you some added productivity

You are a special kind of fucked up user

Fuck the fuck off

>no sms recieved notification (big problem IMO)
They notify you if the SMS doesn't go through. If you don't get that notification, it went through.

>no easy file transfer (need itunes ALWAYS)
Fair point, shy of using email to send pics or short videos.

> VERY locked down system (retard proof) unless jailbroken
Which is why businesses like them.

>Updates usually will slow down your phone as to force you to buy a new on...updates cannot be rolled back :^)
Not an issue, as the employer is picking up the bill.

>On the other hand, I don't want my dick pics get into apple's cloud so I may have to reconsider
Or you could just use Wire, Signal, etc to send dick pics, and not use iCloud.

>am i 12

no ive owned a iphone 4 for years now and just know about iphones.

>It's a fucking work phone you dumb shit. Use it for work stuff. Use your own whatever-phone-you-like for private stuff.

Yes, I get that. Fuck's sake, I would like to use my own device given the possibility but that's sadly not an option. Email I got said though that if I paid a small trivial amount for the device monthly it would be mine after two years. Not probably going to do that, though.

I'm kinda bummed that I'll have to carry more shit around with me around the shittiest airports and worry that my second phone is always charged

>They notify you if the SMS doesn't go through

BUT if the reciever's phone is turned off you will not be notified that the sms didnt arrive

I think its beyond pathetic having to jailbreak an iphone (voiding warranty and risking bricking) for this dumb feature that all other phones have

If you mean turned off, as in, "They didn't pay their carrier bill," then no, it will notify you. If you just meant powered off, you are correct. That said, he doesn't have the luxury of choice. I was just going more into depths about your complaints. I have no interest in defending the iPhone, just trying to be accurate about what it can and can not do in vanilla mode.

Well, regarding work-related shit, everyone will be using iMessages, since everyone will have iPhones, so it WILL tell you if that shit hasn't been delivered (and potentially will tell you whether its been read). Regarding everyone else, there are ways around that, which should be used in favor of SMS anyways. Like Signal, Wire, Wickr, etc. Even Skype will do this, and I'd be surprised if WhatsApp didn't (for people unwilling to get on more secure shit). Those will tell you if the shit is delivered.

I agree its bullshit regarding SMS's, but there are plenty of workarounds that don't involve a jailbreak.

I'm not really into taking dick pics, I just tried to convene a thought that I wouldn't want my pics to end up anywhere else than on my home server.

>skittish about an untethered jailbreak that might give you some added productivity

It wasn't me who replied that but I do share his opinion, I won't jailbreak it due to sensitive stuff on our intranet/on our devices. My job is sought after and somewhat comfy, I don't like to risk it.

> You are a special kind of fucked up user

Thanks, user. Means a lot on Sup Forums

Does ios have tasker equivalent so I could set it to stay quiet when on home wifi?

Bump

Transferring photos doesn't require iTunes. An iPhone will get detected like a real camera with camera roll. Other than that, you can transfer files and pictures using some apps from the App Store. Honestly, you don't need iTunes at all anymore.

>syncing music
icloud music library does this without syncing.

The best way to transfer files is Resilio Sync. If you are already using Google's services, I suggest you just install Google Photos and call it a day.

No. This is one of the biggest things I've missed. The quiet hours system is very primitive and only lets you set a daily hour interval when it should be quiet. If you work irregular shifts, it's a huge pain in the ass.

Just use it for the usual stuff. I do. Should I also carry a second fucking laptop with me just because the one I have now is owned by the government? No, fuck that.

You can easily select what you want and don't want iCloud to synchronize. Switching off photos is like five clicks from any screen.

>What am I getting into with newest iphone? Is there a file browser? Will I have to install itunes to transfer pictures off the device (I'm not going to use any apple's cloud services, if possible).
It's a work phone. Not even your work phone, but provided by the company.

Do only what they say to do, in exactly the way they say to do it, and turn it off when your shift ends every day. Don't have so much enthusiasm or concern for what is only your 9-5 responsibility.

Either use the ring/vibrate switch or enable Do Not Disturb manually when needed.

just use it for work and nothing else, carry two phones with you like a reasonable man would do.

That wage slave mentality.

>do not integrate your life into a work tool
>do not use a work tool outside of work hours
>wage slave
If you insist on being retarded, go back to .

A lot of corporate MDM tools have jailbreak detection (including checking if they have root access and detecting the delay of a pop-up to give root permission) and will wipe your phone + report you to IT if you jailbreak.

t. work at a software company that makes mobile device management tools and have seen some of the internal documentation on jailbreak detection for iOS + root detection on Android

Don't worry about it user. You will like it.

If you need to separate what you do for eight hours a day from what you do the rest of the day with such fervor, you are a wage slave.

>turning off a work phone after hours
>fervor
Seriously please go back to . I have no idea why you faggots flock here anyway.

Don't even go to Sup Forums. Why are you so afraid of admitting that you draw no pleasure from your work?

why should a company have unfettered access to your life outside of work? how will you know they're not spying on your location / mic / cam all the time w/o jailbreak

>hurr durr turn off non jail broken phone with no removable battery and assume its off.

better get a faraday pouch with some sound dampening faggot

because like all wage slaves I'm afraid of facing reality

Because unless you are mentally ill you have no reason to suspect it. If they do, you'll be able to live off lawyer money for the rest of your days.

because they said they wouldnt and the backslash would be huge if it came out

>unfettered access to your life outside of work
for not hacking a phone given to him by said company? yeah they're really trampling all over his rights. what a horrible employer

>you'll be able to live off lawyer money for the rest of your days.

While true for citizens of the free world, sadly I'm not employed by an US company and lawyer money is nonexistent here as I live in a country with a somewhat working justice system without million-dollar-payouts.

t. op

If you have a working rule of law, you really shouldn't be worried about your employer spying on you. I mean, if guys in this thread enjoy carrying two phones, two laptops and drive two different cars, good for them, but that sounds like a ridiculous pain in the ass with no real payoff at the end.

Weak bait.

>I mean, if guys in this thread enjoy carrying two phones, two laptops and drive two different cars, good for them, but that sounds like a ridiculous pain in the ass with no real payoff at the end.

Thing is that while I absolutely don't enjoy carrying two different phones around with me and especially with two different charging ports, my whole family uses android devices so the problems comes with the ecosystem, not with the "company spying on me" aspect. I self host all kinds of services, starting from matrix, rocket.chat, nextcloud, shells, dev environments with rdp access, ovpn servers, what ever. I would have to find new alternatives to all apps I currently use, and knowing apple store, probably most of them wouldnt have a free equivalent.

No bait at all. Why would you presume me baiting?

I'll probably end up carrying two devices all the time with me grudgingly. I'm not really looking forward to that.

Probably not. Probably will have some limitations that will be rather annoying too. Will probably look very nice though.

I thought it was bait because why the fuck would you care? It's a work device, use it for work shit. I carry a 6s+ for work, only emails and that's all. I also carry an S8 which is my personal device. I don't like to mix 'em up.

...Just turn the phone off outside of working hours?

Because I travel every other week. Less shit to carry is less shit to worry about

Surest way not to get a raise.

> that one time when you are needed for an emergency
> phone is off because my g

Quit and file a sexual harassment lawsuit.

Can't, it took me over 15 years to get here

captcha: paradise calle

Why don't you route incoming calls to your Android phone after work hours?

you can download chrome, photos, drive, and most other google based apps. Keep your personal phone and use the work phone for work.

Thanks. Good idea.

Nobody uses Android for Business. It's literally either Windows/IOS. It's you will be better because most Business apps work best for IOS. Just it as your private phone so that so you can keep your personal shit private.

There is no filesystem. Forget about managing files at any possible level.
Let's say you want to send a picture from your hangouts (insert name of anyother messaging app). Good luck. The easiest way is to get icloud (yes, it is as stupid as it sounds).

Also, keep in mind that not only you CANNOT activate your iPhone without iTunes, but you actually cannot activate it even without a SIM.

Also, there is no "back" button, every back button is implemented in the interface, and is on the top left corner, which is a massive, massive, massive pain in the ass. You will know what i'm talking about after 1 week of use.

Also, every accessory is overpriced, bu 200%.

Also, the first thing you want to do, probably, is to throw money and get a quick charging device.

>Let's say you want to send a picture from your hangouts (insert name of anyother messaging app). Good luck. The easiest way is to get icloud (yes, it is as stupid as it sounds).
This isn't true

>Also, keep in mind that not only you CANNOT activate your iPhone without iTunes,
This isn't true

>Also, there is no "back" button, every back button is implemented in the interface, and is on the top left corner, which is a massive, massive, massive pain in the ass. You will know what i'm talking about after 1 week of use.
You swipe from the left to go back. This is a system wide thing, and most apps have the same functionality (desu I can't think of one I use that doesn't have this, but I'm sure they exist).

You too, uh?

>couple years ago
>working on a advertising company
>boss decides to replace every machine with apple (we're talking about phones, computers, everything)
>a week wasted teaching those who never used a apple device before
>a week wasted transferring all the old work to the new machine (and some was fucking lost)
>a week wasted trying to find alternatives to the programs we used until then

Eventually everyone got used to it, but damn, what a waste of time.
No warnings either, we literally came from vacation and all our old junk (that was owned by the company) was in the trash.

Why not just keep the company phone in the drawer and use your high IQ device as a daily driver, you don't need the company app off hours do you?

I have no idea what has to go through the head of a boss like that, all that money down the drain