/twmg/ - Tiling Window Manager General

Low on precious screen real estate, or busy massaging your carpal tunnel wrists damaged by waving a mouse around like an idiot? A tiling window manager might be for you!

> Freedom from the mouse
With any decent twm, you're hand almost never has to leave the home row.

> High customizability
All well known twms are built with customizability in mind, either through a config file, command line options, or in the case of dwm, editing the source code directly.

> Efficient use of screen space
because each new window will split the screen one level further, the available screen space is used optimally (yes, even when using gaps).

> L I G H T W E I G H T
using a tiling window manager forgoes the need for a bloated DE, simply
install any necessary software on top of the window manager to build exactly the system you want with no cruft!

> Resources
i3wm - i3wm.org/
Babby's first twm, easily customizable from a central config file, has sane defaults. Usable out of the box.

Xmonad - xmonad.org/
Written and configured using haskell, so knowledge of haskell is recommended. Highly extensible, stable, and dynamic.

bspwm - github.com/baskerville/bspwm
Binary Space Partitioning Window Manager
bspwm is a tiling window manager that represents windows as the leaves of a full binary tree. Stable, supports lots of customization out of the box.

dwm - dwm.suckless.org/
Dynamic Window Manager written in C.
Slightly higher learning curve than most other twms, basic knowledge of C is necessary for configuration as it takes place in the header file. Very
lightweight.

floating window manager plebs need not apply

Other urls found in this thread:

st.suckless.org/patches/scrollback/
dwm.suckless.org/patches/urgentborder
youtube.com/watch?v=Api6dFMlxAA
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Tiling_WMs
wiki.debian.org/WindowManager
herbstluftwm.org/
herbstluftwm.org/tutorial.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is dwm really as fast/ comfortable as people say is it? I'm curious but have been put off by the learning curve and don't want to waste my time if it isn't worth worrh it. Currently using i3.

When I started using i3 I found it was like learning vim agaun (although a lot less extreme). You'll find it weird for a day or two while you get used to the controls but you'll quickly get comfortable and from then on it's a case of slowly mastering it.

I barely know anything about C but dwm is comfy af.

Awesome WM is the way to go.

Does it use mostly reasonabl defaults? I'm concerned that if the configuration has to take place before I start using it I can't really waste time that time. But If i could use it stock and slowly inprove it I'll give it a try

rate?

The default configs for both xmonad and i3 work fine

6.5/10

I used dwm with its defaults for quite a while before starting to customize it, they work well. you don't really need to know much C either, just stare at the config file for a few minutes and it makes sense

>makes the window float in a twm thread
This isn't the desktop thread buddy

it was just for the pic

Switched to i3 a month ago, how did I miss something so comfy

>Slightly higher learning curve than most other twms
That's absolutely wrong my friend. Save for the configuration file (which for someone with no knowledge of programming could struggle - there are tutorials helping with that) dwm is easily the most dumbfoundingly simple dynamic wms out there.

Getting hold of the concept of trees like you get in i3wm for example is considerably harder.

ye, dwm is pretty comfy desu

Stumpwm user here. Is there another lighter TWM that includes a message and input box without having to use 3rd party utilities?

Open question to anyone using i3 (or any twm more broadly):
Any tips and tricks that you discovered along the way that you had wished you learned earlier? I recently discovered the scratchpad after about a year of using i3 and my life is infinitely better. Also I learned this fairly early on but the ability to set defaults for different windows by class/name is a god send as well

>listening to toto
>jackpot package count
>void linux
my guy

with alt+f you can window a fullscreen video

A trick I found fairly recently is using a tray emulator such as stalonetray to use things like nm-applet or blueman-applet. Makes it so you don't need to waste space in your bar for a tray, or if your bar doesn't come with one at all it's a good alternative

>yfw that window isn't tiled
>yfw user set i3-gaps to 400px and that is the one window the workspace can fit

>toto africa

>Not liking Tot
Though their best song is Hold the Line, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise

do most people who use tiling wms use arch? if so, any reason why?

Because most people who use tiling WMs don't actually do any work on thier computers so they spend all their time setting up an overly complex ricer os like Arch.

Shocker, that same demographic is also attracted to crap like this.

> urxvt
why not st?

please enlighten me on your successful career, you must get all your work done very quickly since you have time to shitpost on Sup Forums

>st
Because it has no scrolling feature.

Recently started using spectrwm
It's lighter than i3

Whats the bar you are using?

Mehh, I'm using i3 on Debian, switched to it from Mate because I realised I don't need all that fluff

st.suckless.org/patches/scrollback/
are you kidding this takes less than ten seconds to apply
are you a brainlet

obvious arch user, is there a reason why arch is preferable than other distros for i3wm etc?

gentoo, and I didn't say it was. I think most arch users have trouble understanding PPAs/overlays/just building from github so they rely on the AUR to install everything, which I suppose makes it easier to install all the cool hackerman programs they want without having to actually have minimal tech knowledge

Sorry, I want it in mainstream. They're ridiculous to refuse that. And I'm sure the st bell doesn't set WM_URGENT.

>motherfucking pipes

Someone tell me what that package is please

I actually stopped using st for similar reasons, to them it seems "minimal" means incomplete. but the specific reason you chose was stupid its so fucking easy to patch.
literally pipes.sh

Can st set WM_URGENT?

a quick google search found
dwm.suckless.org/patches/urgentborder
which is not exactly what you were looking for but does indicate that st, out of the box, supports setting WM_urgent hint for its windows.

No, just did the test. st has sane default about wm_urgent.

So when scoll will be default, st could compete with xterm.

Just try to apply the patch on master. No it doesn't work in less than 10 seconds.

That's just the default bar with dwm. tweaked the fonts, colors, and information displayed

anyone know how setup ibus under i3wm?

WHen i get home I'll do it again to see what might be going wrong for you, but it really was 0 issue for me. I think you might have to remove a line in config.h or something simple like that, which should not be a problem for most people.

You'llsee . The mouseshortcut, the histsize...

If you want to do it cleanly without inlining the histsize in st.h, it's not trivial... Go ahead. I'm not interested in maintaining that thing, when xterm exists.

That's why we can rely on a patch, someone has to update it, and it will always be late, or abandoned.

> All this just to get a scrollbar on your terminal.

Some of the suckless software and some of the ideas are good but god damn, just use a terminal with features built-in instead of trying to patch together a suckless terminal that doesn't suck.

>scrollbar
Not a scrollbar. I hate scrollbars. Just the possibility to scroll with shift+pageup shift+pagedown

But you're right, I stay on xterm.

do you guys recommend upgrading bspwm? im on version 0.9.3 and i dont want anything to break, my favorite config is the resizesing floating windows with the mouse and last time i upgraded that was removed, so i just got back to this ver

Pamela.

You want to say that to my face mate?

Comfy tiling window manager, mouse is for the pleb.

never looking back

I use Stumpwm.
I would probably not consider anything else at this point because I know the environment too well and can make it do basically anything I need.

I don't do much besides web browse / irc / word process so I don't know how useful a switch from budgie to i3 would be, but will probably try it today.

Mainly because I have a small screen / res and I'm under the impression I can better use it with better workspace management inside i3.

your color scheme is really soothing

>/twmg/ - Tiling Window Manager General
clever girl
just don't make it a general -- fuck generals. just post threads like these every once in awhile and it'll all be good.

For someone looking to test the waters with these, is i3 the best choice?

You are correct! Quickly switching workspaces is great as well. It just makes everything simpler, once you try it you will understand.
Yes, you can't use i3 with no extra config at all, and make it better as you herb more comfortable

Yeah but pretty much nobody uses it correctly. probably because it's in the TWM category with a bunch of crap. And that arch fags seem really attracted to suckless stuff even though they can't even compile anything.

anyone using solus and i3?

want to try it but don't want to switch to something like arch. online resources are way more helpful if running ubuntu or arch or whatever though ree

swaywm on wayland can import i3wm configuration files!!

Why is no one using tmux with ST? Tmux does scroll just fine

>mouse is for the pleb
I agree, but is there a good way to browse 4chin without a mouse? Vimperator/Vimium works for most other sites, but I've found no good substitute for hovering over images and reply links.

Cvim has an on hover binding

I spend almost all my time inside emacs, but i3 bridges the gap for the browser. The multi-moitor support with i3 is good,

Why is polybar such a fucking hassle to install on Debian?

qutebrowser has hover binds as well. Good lightweight browser for documentation and Sup Forums, but you still need Firefox for JavaScript gagglefuck sites.

>Yeah but pretty much nobody uses it correctly.
Explain further, please.

Dwm is goat
Fast reliable and simple to use
Using i3 bspwm is slower compared to dwm

There are good floating wm's like twm, evilwm, cwm, etc.
Why call it "/twmg/"?
Just call it /wmg/.

You know, how come nobody has made a 'real' full-fledged DE with a tiling WM, at least as a choice? I'm sure it would be popular.

i3blocks config?

why don't you be the first one to make it?
or just ship it
you can easily replace the default wm in xfce, lxde and maybe some other DE's with a tiling wm
just use the bar from the DE

good thread

tiling wms are comfy. Works really well on low resolution screens

as long as the mentally ill anime spammers don't ruin it and dumb fuck mods don't delete it

It won't be that hard either.

>93202
Use ctrl+f and type in the number of the post you want to reply to/the image you want to open ;)

You should get on that. Post the repo link when you have something worth contributing to.

Yes well, see, the problem with that is that there's no good way to get back.

Add this to the OP: youtube.com/watch?v=Api6dFMlxAA

Presentation on the major tiling WMS

I used i3 with xfce in conjunction.
You just need to fork a distro and ship it.

get back to where?
alt + left to go back
ctrl + w to close a tab
esc if you want to close the quick reply
home and end to jump to the top/bottom of the page

> pink floyd
> void linux
> 385 packages
> "bizzfuzz"
hard as diamonds

>/twmg/
>no herbstluftwm

Someone should compile a list of all the good window managers that everyone should try out.
Here are some of the more popular:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Tiling_WMs
Here's a list on the Debian site (below):
wiki.debian.org/WindowManager

>tiling window manager general
really scraping the bottom of the barrel for those new general ideas huh

herbstluftwm is interesting because you can heve empty tiles like in pic related

it's like tagging windows. I think some WMs can do that. Except you use the entire thing like that.
Let's say I have terminal on 1, browser on 7. I open up 7 then I press 1. Now I have browser and a terminal open. I press 1 again and now it's just a browser.
This way you can do stuff like have a pdf, emacs, browser and say 2 terminals in the one workflow and you are tagging them in and out depending on what you are doing or what you need to see at that moment.

herbstluftwm.org/

>What is it?

>herbstluftwm is a manual tiling window manager for X11 using Xlib and Glib. Its main features can be described with:
> the layout is based on splitting frames into subframes which can be split again or can be filled with windows (similar to i3/ musca)
> tags (or workspaces or virtual desktops or …) can be added/removed at runtime. Each tag contains an own layout
> exactly one tag is viewed on each monitor. The tags are monitor independent (similar to xmonad)
> it is configured at runtime via ipc calls from herbstclient. So the configuration file is just a script which is run on startup. (similar to wmii/ musca)

They even have a nice tutorial:
herbstluftwm.org/tutorial.html

True. Needs a demo though.

Also, in dwm people don't use the Inc or decmaster (Alt + i and alt + d)

this thread gives me hope for the future of Sup Forums

How about floating windows in tiling window managers?

dwm is pretty comfy.

those tabs on your botnet (((browser))) sure are not tho

its ok, the terminal and WM are comfy and thats all that matters. browser is contained in the web workspace

you should contain it in a botnet box