I3

Does anyone here use i3 for just shitter pc tasks like browsing and word processing? Contemplating switching from something more gui based as aspects of the look / navigation / workspace management are appealing to me, but wonder if it's useful if you aren't opening 6 terminal windows and switching between them constantly or whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/copycat-killer/awesome-freedesktop
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Using_an_alternative_window_manager
youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i3 is as GUI as KDE is. Being keyboard controlled doesn't change how it is displayed.

icons tho

i3 is just a wm. You can change KDE's stock wm for any other including i3, xmonad or whatever. That way you have icons and all the benefits of a DE and still be able to use a tiling wm.

not OP but where can I learn to do this?

>icons tho
Awesome WM supports the Freedesktop standards and you can have desktop icons and menus, if you want to.

github.com/copycat-killer/awesome-freedesktop

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Using_an_alternative_window_manager

KDE 4 and 5 have slightly different methods of doing this but the idea is the same.

Or just open dmenu?

i3s are garbage use an AMD RYZEN™ 3 CPU

This, /thread

It's quite comfy.

forget all other tiling wms and step on up to ratpoison

Why?

no reason

I love i3 and rarely program. I use the terminal a fair amount, and usually have up to three terminals up at once. The most useful bit for me in terms of "shitter"\ pc tasks" are the multiple workspaces. It's something that I never used until I got into i3wm, and now I use them all of the time. I highly suggest using i3 for any type of linux user. here's a very easy to follow guide on ricing out i3. the tutorial makes configuring i3 extremely easy, even for those with little experince in the terminal.

youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4

I like i3 in general. I wish I could have an equivalent for both Mac OS X and Windows. Getting around and using any desktop with i3 to me is insanely intuitive and much easier to work with.

fuckin kek'd

>LOLE i3 AS IN NOT teh WM BUT teh CPU LE FUNNIE JOEK XDDDD kek
tie the fucking noose

salt

terminal cringe*

salt