interesting wm
I might try it tomorrow

Why should I, OP? Sell it to me

nice font

Because some of us want a tile wm that just werks like Awesome wm

I have it but prefer i3. Herbslut is a little more difficult for me to use

Because i3 is superior

Same as above.

Because i3wm is objectively the best tiling wm out there.

Why use a cheap wm when kde exists?

Last time I checked, making single window float was not available, just full layout. This made dialog windows pain as they mostly tiled to half of the screen.
But the persistent layout that is then filled with windows is a nice idea. Too many border settings was hard to tweak, but result looked great. (inner and outer window border, frame border, ...)

There is so many of tiling wm's that i don't bother checking all of them while i3 is easy to configure and works for me.

Because Openbox poi~

You disgust me. Why, WHY would you make your desktop look like an autistic child's fever dream?

G-go f-fuck yourself, i-it's none of your business !! I just like cute girls, kantai collection, and wolves~

Anime website, nothing you can do about it.
Nice Yagami fetch image.

her name is kou u dummy
go away

Please stop Michiru, this isn't healthy.

>Because i3wm is objectively the best tiling wm out there.

Most i3 users just install it because its the most used wm out there.
When i comes down to features, i would guess Xmonad has the most to offer:
stackage.org/package/xmonad-contrib

An interesting wm.
I will imagine trying it while I'm on my i3wm.

Because I use dwm. Simple, does exactly what I want and nothing else. If I feel like it needs to do something more, I write code and recompile. Not sure why I'd ever bother moving.

this. i will use openbox as long as it works.

What can I do with it that I can't do with i3?

most people on here use tiling window manager but always have them floating. i don't understand why you just don't use openbox

you can heve empty tiles like in OP pic
therefore you can observe your waifu at all times

I can do that in i3.

you can't unless you float your windows

i3-gaps bruv.

>i patched i3 so i can shitpost in desktop threads
ishygddt

are you retarded?
you can't open an empty tile without a window in i3-gaps

>Xmonad
My negro. Xmonad is great,if not a slight bit harder to configure.Personally, I moved away from TWM's because I've got the resources to run a DE and constantly fiddling with things is just asking for breakage. I'll always have a soft spot for Xmonad, though.

Shit, I misread tile as "title".
Sorry. Although, it's still not a reason for me to change from i3.

i3 with zero floating windows
yu just have to be cool enough

or transparency

no transparency in either

What music player is that? I'm still a bit new to Linux and have been looking for a good simple cli-based music player.

ncmpcpp

I like bspwm more other than the no stacking/tabbing (but this is sufferable)

how?

watch lots of anime

I already do, please tell me!

i3-msg open

Perhaps because xmonad is superior and most *nix users are casual poorfag retards that are satisfied with shitty defaults provided to them.

Because I use Aqua/Quarts 

I only switch to floating to get that aesthetic screenshot for the desktop threads. The other 99.9% of my life is spent tiling, usually with most windows (emacs, firefox, irc) fullscreen in seperate workspaces, sometimes split in half but rarely more than that

haha, I hate anime.
get tricked kiddo

I used it in the past but now I'm using XFCE on all my computers, because XFCE is quite handy and everything just werks. I used to run herbst on my hobby computer, because I knew if something went south I'd just have to do my shitposting on my school computer. Now I'm using Qubes though, and that comes with XFCE by default. I think you can use i3 with it as well, but I haven't bothered. Maybe I'll do that on my next install, but I don't really feel that Qubes is as mature as it should be before I would use it as anything more than just a fun OS to dick around on the Internet with (even though having all the VMs so easily managed sure is nice).

I wish I had my herbstluft rice configuration saved, someone else gave it to me a long time ago but I forgot all about it. Oh well.

it's called herbstluftwm

wrong, it's herbstluftwm

oh i might try it out then

Because it's 2017 and nobody gives a shit anymore.

>2017
>not using herbstluftwm

I've used Linux since 1993 up until some time after Windows 10 came out.

How is herbstluftwm different from other twm? Also, is there a tiling wm that doesn't automatically fit a window to a container, like it tiles it to its natural size? Kinda like pseudo tiling in bspwm, except that pseudo tiling doesn't really work well when you want to resize a window because it doesn't consider the area the window takes up.

>How is herbstluftwm different from other twm?
It isn't.

>Also, is there a tiling wm that doesn't automatically fit a window to a container, like it tiles it to its natural size?
Herbst can do that.

that panel looks like 95 cancer, everything else looks fine

bspwm exists

bspwm is better in every way

both trumped by xmonad

Prove it

Because I'm still enjoying the summer air

looks like shit, Kevin...

You can import the BinarySpacePartition extension to basically do what bspwm does

Why should I be using a twm when I'm already happy with my fwm (Muffin/Cinnamon on Arch) and its simple 2x2 tiling feature when I'm on my desktop computer and two monitors?

forgot to mention my 12 workspaces and the expo plugin for a 4x3 workspace overview when hitting the bottom right corner of the main monitor, which makes accessing all opened windows extremely simple and fast

I would rather use dwm than xmonad

What does dwm have that sticks you to it?

c over haskell

What about the features.

it tiles windows
honestly they all do the same stuff, what they do differently doesn't matter enough to me to get too into it, now that I don't really care about it i use bspwm because it's easy, but if I wanted to get right into the fine details I'd go back to using dwm because I'm familiar with c

frist of all, how *dare* yu o

>overboard - tbb
nntpchan newfag or oldfag?

Is that you?

yes

You're cute user-kun~

Openbox looks cool, but I really like the bar Fluxbox has.

Because i3 works just fine.

how do you do that with cava?

I use roxterm with transparency all the way up, and have it the only window not floating.

no

i do and love it. can't stand fully dynamic wms, i gotta have some fixed frames.

Hlwm is god tier. Simple to config and great defaults - vim bindings and a decent scheme. Easy to configure layouts for programs, well documented and on and on.

i3 wasn't bad either but hlwm just clicked for me.

threads like these give me hope for the future of Sup Forums

> (OP)
>Why should I, OP? Sell it to me
No replies. Probably shit. Still waiting

herbstluftwm is a manual tiling window manager for X11 using Xlib and Glib. Its main features can be described with:
> the layout is based on splitting frames into subframes which can be split again or can be filled with windows (similar to i3/ musca)
> tags (or workspaces or virtual desktops or …) can be added/removed at runtime. Each tag contains an own layout
> exactly one tag is viewed on each monitor. The tags are monitor independent (similar to xmonad)
> it is configured at runtime via ipc calls from herbstclient. So the configuration file is just a script which is run on startup. (similar to wmii/ musca)

Just use something normie like openbox then when you want to pretend you using a tiling window manager use rtile.

>Terminator
Why tho