What i should choose? Mint or Ubuntu?

Well I'm just considered as one of "IT help guys". Actually to my pack of freeware sotware to fix stuff i need a good operating system to install when someone's windows is fucked up.

Of course the awnser is linux. Many distros.

I have choosen linux mint because its easy to use, instalation doesent consume much time and its packed with libre office, firefox, codecs. So i just spend hour and computer has fully functional software and is ready to work with libre office or to just surf the internet (What most of my family does, they dont require games or stuff like AutoCad). Also cinnamon looks very good and is more friendly for people who have experience only with windows.

But i heard ubuntu is also easy to use and install, and i want to know. I should stay with mint or maybe change my "Free go to windows replacement" to ubuntu? Well i dont like ubuntu desktop (so mostly i will change it to cinnamon after instalation) but well ubuntu has something what is worth to use ubuntu instead of mint and spend time in manually installing codecs or changing desktop to cinnamon?

mint is basically ubuntu but with cinnamon. They both use the same repositories and everything. If you really like cinnamon, then there's no reason for you to switch.

Mint is Ubuntu based distro while Ubuntu is based from Debian, so there is no big difference between two.

I understund why would someone pick ubuntu over debian but picking mint over ubuntu? It is fucking joke, they litterally copy paste from ubuntu and they put cinnamon DE.

Debian with cinnamon desktop.

devuan with cinnamon desktop

>fixed that for you

you are either drunk or caught in a loop...go to sleep

ubuntu is a better os but it ships with the worst de ever created
so eigther pick mint or any *bunto variation like kubuntu or xubuntu

Mint is pretty much just literally Ubuntu but with a different look. There was that whole security breach on Mint's website a while ago so I wouldn't trust it.

well i gonna try out KUBUNTU on my wirtual machine if it will be good i gonna put it in my USB, but i have question. Will Ubuntu play popular multimedia formats (like MP3, AVI etc.) without any problems?

if you enable it during install it will

Ubuntu. use the 16.04.2 LTS, don't use 17.04 Ethernet/WiFI does not work.

Install a distro that doesn't blow nigger willies and is actually a UNIX clone like Slackware. If you are using GNU/Linux and you don't want a UNIX clone you should go use Windows because it completely defeats the purpose.

Arch. It's not a meme. After the 30 minutes of installing it really isn't complex.

>Arch. It's not a meme. After the 30 minutes of installing it really isn't complex.
Arch is literally the worst distro ever made. Fuck off fag.

The Ubuntu software center is buggy as fuck.

Installing and updating shit only works properly through the console.

I would go Mint. Their team seems to be the only crew in the game right now. I loaded it onto shitty Win netbooks that are designed to not allow Linux and it works great.

Ubuntu doesn't impress me much at all. Just go Debian. Also, both distros are Debian based so that is a plus as well.

I'd suggest checking out KDE Neon instead if you want to use KDE with Ubuntu.

KDE Neon is shit. Even their "stable" edition crashes weekly.

OP here.

Is this thing real? Well if it is i gonna remove mint installers from USB and replace it with ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS installers.

But i have one more thing i need to know. Well i dont like Ubuntu's UNITY.

So mostly i plan just to install cinnamon after installing ubuntu to replace Unity. Will that negatively affect ubuntu's functionality or stability?

Why not just use KDE (Kubuntu)? It's lighter and looks more windows-like (which is the only reason Cinnamon is popular). Plus, it properly supports KDE Connect.
Also, ZorinOS Lite (Xfce) and ZorinOS (Cinnamon) exist as decent replacements for Mint.

To answer your question, I think those claims referred to the days when Mint was based on debian or when it was switching from debian to Ubuntu base. I could be wrong though.
There was an incident when Mint images were infected with malware, but this only affected direct downloads and not torrents.

Well so i think i gonna just use KUBUNTU (KDE for me is second Desktop for linux) 16.04.2 LTS, thanks for advices

Just reinstall Windows.

Me: Well it looks like i need to reinstall windows, you know where you have your windows CD?
Family Member: What is that, i dont have that

Do it by USB, retard. Give them the gift of Win7 Enterprise.

>security breach of mint web site.
>wouldn't trust it.
I'll assume by "it" you mean wordpress.

Funfact: ubuntu, fedora, linux mint, and debian have had websites hacked in the past.
Probably others I'm not aware of.

Install Microsoft Windows 10

Gentoo

Puppy Linux is the answer. It loads into RAM from USB and is the smallest OS I know of.

Big difference is nsa made major contributions to Ubuntu

okay?

Some people would have you believe you shouldn't use any of those distros.

Another user here that needs to install linux to family members. Is KUBUNTU really my best bet?

kubuntu is the shittiest kde implementation I've ever experienced. Close behind knoppix.

Can you suggest something better?

>KDE
>lighter than anything

cinnamon mint.

Plasma is very light compared to KDE4 and GNOME. And cinnamon is just a re-skinned GNOME with extra shit, making it even heavier.

I would advise against KDE Neon. It crashes weekly even on stable release. Not sure if this is fixed. The best implementation of KDE is on openSUSE which is the best overall distro, but the distro initially insists on using libre software and doesn't ship with proprietary codecs or drivers. Perhaps Gecko Linux does, which is based on openSUSE. But, the distro's base isn't debian which is the "normie standard".

Lubuntu runs better and, has a more windows-like interface than ubuntu. However Mint is probably more usable

Threads like this bring up the question: is there a distro out there that most linux users respect?

it seems every time someone recommends one, two others come buy and say thats shit and recommend something else. then others say those distros are shit are recommend something else (and on and on and on).

>Threads like this bring up the question: is there a distro out there that most linux users respect?
I think everyone can grudgingly agree that for a very first distro, either Ubuntu or Mint are good choices to start with. A user can later tell what he does or doesn't like, look to see if there are better options for him, and go from there (or not).

>it seems every time someone recommends one, two others come buy and say thats shit and recommend something else. then others say those distros are shit are recommend something else (and on and on and on).
This why the Year of the Linux Desktop eludes us, but at least we're free. *sigh*