>Not that hard to get up and running as I expected

Why all the hate for systemd?

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
repology.org/repository/arch
repology.org/repository/ubuntu_17_10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I use Mint. It's not that I can't run arch. It's that I don't have to troubleshoot shit and it pisses people like you off.

>Is this /ourdistro/?
No. It hasn't been for ages. Gentoo is our distro now.

>Perfect for someone with a basic understanding of computers and a DIY attitude
No, it's perfect for neet skiddies who wanna feel l33t but cant compile shit

>Can be as bareboned or bloated as you wish
Arch was never a minimalistic distro.

>Practical as fuck
Rolling release, bleeding edge, update-every-day distro is not practical at all.

Yes, because all you have to do is follow written instructions. I bet your kernel is full of holes.

>Why all the hate for systemd?
Because LP is a faggot.

been running arch for 6 months on my netbook, never had to troubleshoot that took longer than a few minutes

>pisses people like you off.

I don't give a shit. If it werks for you, by all means stick to it. It took me a couple of hours to get everyting running (most of which was spend on customizing the DE anyway), but I never had to troubleshoot since. Less programs = less troubleshooting. It's a nice OS for a memepad and it just werks.

Good luck connecting to a projector or a printer.

Hope your bluetooth works as well teehee =^}

>Hope your bluetooth works as well teehee =^}
It does, actually. Listinging to music from my bluetooth speakers right now.

>Good luck connecting to a projector or a printer.
For the 2 times a year I actually need to print something, I use an old windows laptop I have lying around.

>Because LP is a faggot.
Harry Pottering

>No, it's perfect for neet skiddies who wanna feel l33t
>Implying that isn't the sole reason why people here install gentoo
>Implying people actually brag about their OS to others

>Arch was never a minimalistic distro.
>Implying that was implied

>Yes, because all you have to do is follow written instructions. I bet your kernel is full of holes.
>Implying extensive documentation isn't a plus

Nice retoric.

not an argument

Youn don't have to update daily, moron.

Yeah, you don't. You can update once a year, wait the entire night for download and the next day for installation and break your pacman keys in the end.

Whenever Arch is mentioned I think of this

Yeah I know the memes, like this one.

It's an honest fact though that digging your own pool gives much more satisfaction than just giving a bag of money to a contractor who builds it for you. How I know? Just build something IRL and report back.

So you have a second computer if you need to print something. That’s really practical.

You sound mentally challanged. I update monthly without problems.

>It is recommended to perform full system upgrades regularly via Pacman#Upgrading packages, to enjoy both the latest bug fixes and security updates, and also to avoid having to deal with too many package upgrades that require manual intervention at once.

Gee, if only one could read.

I bet your a debianfag

>So you have a second computer if you need to print something. That’s really practical.

No, it's the other way around: I already had that computer.

Looking how easy it was to make bluetooth work, it can't be that hard to install a driver for a printer.

Fine if you only wanna do CLI shit. Consuming any type of media is painful unless you install a DE, in which case might as well use Ubuntu or something similar

install
G E N T O O
E
N
T
O
O

Give 5 good arguments why I should, and I will.

>Consuming any type of media is painful unless you install a DE, in which case might as well use Ubuntu or something similar

A DE isn't an OS, what the fuck. Just because you like gnome or KDE doesn't mean you might as well install ubuntu, that has shit all to do with it.

Gentoo gives insightful experience with the kernel internals, incites you to value your time and automate tasks, it's also very flexible in configuration.

Arch was always a pleb distro for schoolkids and amateurs, all you can get with arch is the experience in configuring xorg and wayland which is absolutely useless in production.

>configuring xorg and wayland which is absolutely useless in production.

1. G
2. E
3. N
4. T
5. OO

Or, you know, print shit from your android.

I thought exactly the same, and my printer wasnt even really supported aswell, but it appears that the AUR is a beautiful thing and I can now print like a regular human bean

I want to install linux for my dad. Which distro is the best?

Debian Stable

Ubuntu GNOME or ZorinOS

Arch is the best anyways

I thought so: nothing other than a meme. Thanks for the enlightenment.

No, I'm an archfag. But I hate the niggers shilling about how Arch is DA BEST D1STR0 EVAH

Arch is objectively shit distro overall. But it's good for learning.

>Implying printing on windows is hassle-free either

Enjoy your freeware bundled with your 3rd party printer device drivers written for windows vista.

Printing on windows:
>connect printer
>wait five seconds for os to recognize the model
>go to image viewer/acrobat reader/word
>press "print"

Printing on LOONIX:
>plug in printer
>search /dev/ for anything that resembles a printer
>download open sores firmware that doesnt work properly
>run a hack someone wrote in *sh on an archaic forum
>google for solutions for thirty minutes
>give up
>decide to just copy everything to usb and go to photocopiers
>plug in USB
>run a few commands to mount the drive
>copy files
>go to photocopiers
>VILEZYZDEM GORRUBT :DDDD

Archfag here.

It's not a shit distro. However I'll never recommend it to anyone.

>I eat poop :DDD

>its not bad i swear
>but i wont recc it to anyone :DDDD

Leave your computer to me!
w/ OpenRC of course.

>Ardour 5.9-2
In to the trash it goes.

So if were to use a non-mainstream distro like Parabola or Void, would I still be able to have (almost) all of the features of other distros?

I know arch has the AUR, but could I get source files from somewhere and compile them, and then have them work on my distro?

Ubuntu or debian is all you'll ever need.

This made me choose gentoo.

Arch literally just werks
I've had Ubuntu fuck itself many times but arch never has

Manjaro, nigga

Install cups
Printing just werks

do LFS then

Your distro is whichever one works for you. Distro fanboyism absolute cancer and I'm 100% sure that it's only jobless NEETs that waste time posting this kind of baseless shit for some sort of elitism.

>Practical as fuck

What the fuck does that even mean? You can't just post shit like this. What, do you think that "sounds good"? That point makes no sense. How is Arch more practical than Distro X and Y?

What, is it more practical for you because you're some 1337 hacker? Guess what, you really don't need much for hacking. Do you really think that bragging about using yum, apt, dnf or your precious aur really makes a fucking difference with anything? You're using it to get THE SAME FUCKING PACKAGES. The only thing AUR has is outdated shit programs that no one is compiling because there's a better option.

And I doubt you even do anything more than rice your desktop with your shitty anime wallpapers under your "minimal" i3 fork of a fork that you're only using because it has less guides so when you spend half a day figuring out how to move a window to the right you can congratulate yourself for literally wasting time.

You're not some epic genius just because you use Arch. You're no different from anyone who uses Ubuntu, Fedora or any of the other mainstream distro except for the fact that you can brag about how you're not some "corporate shill" from your Lenovo® Thinkpad™. You aren't anything. You aren't special, you're still just using fucking GNU/Linux.

Wrong distro.

No. It is not, because it has systemd.

it's not 2009 anymore

no2arch fedora-man iiiis back! (ft. renamed filename)

Give me ONE (1) good reason to keep using Arch when Void is available.

>inb4 muh AUR
Just make templates yourself, unless you're too retarded to do that.

Fellow Archers,

My pip is slow. When I do a pip install for scipy or numpy it takes about 10 minutes to download
How do I chose a closer mirror?

I seriously doubt you can "compile shit" either. Are you even a C programmer?

FYI literally every Linux distro is crappy. The only thing a "distro" is designed to do is provide binary compatibility between its software. They fail miserably at it. Debian is the one that sucks the least when it comes to that.

This is objectively wrong
>mpv
>feh
>ncmpcpp, mocp, cmus
> any of like ten ebook readers
Exactly what's media are you trying to consume that you can't do via cli?

>systemd
I hope Artix becomes more usable soon so I can switch from consolekit to elogind.

Why the fuck do you install via pip when there are packages in the repos?

What exactly have you learned? In my experience I learned 50x the amount i learned from arch once I switched to gentoo.

>In my experience I learned 50x the amount i learned from arch once I switched to gentoo.
Like what?

for my python2 environment nigga

Horrible subtitle timing desu

> Is this /ourdistro/?
Sup Forums disto is taken by Gentoo. Though they do share somethink in common, both are rolling release timesink OS,

pacman -S python2-numpy python2-scipy

>How is Arch more practical than Distro X and Y?
>has non-free software in the repos like nvidia drivers, firmware or gstreamer plugins (unlike e.g. Fedora or Debian)
>has binary packages (unlike e.g. Gentoo or Source Mage)
>allows to easily customize packages or make new ones (unlike e.g. Debian or Fedora)
>has systemd without jumping hoops (unlike e.g. Gentoo); Systemd is convenient.
>has access to a compatible source-based user repository (unlike e.g. Debian or Fedora)

Fedora master race

> >has systemd without jumping hoops (unlike e.g. Gentoo); Systemd is convenient.
Kek.

Which part are you laughing at, sir?

wait is systemd bad?

Oh you poor innocent soul. You're not ready to go down this rabbit hole yet.

acpi and udev rules, how /proc/ and /sys/ work, wpa_supplicant, hwdb, and lots of other stuff like that. Basically how all the parts work togeth, what depends on what, etc. I'm not saying I'm a genious for learning these things things, but I am saying that I didnt learn the new until I switched to gentoo. Despite the fact that it looks like you are maintaining and building your system at a low level, arch spoon feeds you and you don't get a chance chance to do any of it yourself. Again, I'm not saying that it's better or worse, only that It's true. This is the truth about arch and what all the leet skiddy arch users don't want you to know

Please explain. It certainly made configuring arch easier.

I love Arch, not because I'm wanna feel leet like the other user said above, but because I'm the adventurous type of user. It feels so nice to brake things and then fix them. Discovering new things has always been exciting to me. I haven't touched Gentoo yet, it feels like it would be a nice adventure too, but Arch has been keeping me entertained. I'm quite happy with it.

Don't ever feel forced to install an OS just because of others, just get whatever OS you feel you will get the most fun of.

Ignoring your objectively stupid opinion about systemd, getting systemd on gentoo is literally eselect profile

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

>Ignoring your objectively stupid opinion about systemd
Are you implying systemd is not convenient?
>getting systemd on gentoo is literally
Do packages include systemd unit files? Because without them it's pretty useless.

>has non-free software in the repos like nvidia drivers, firmware or gstreamer plugins (unlike e.g. Fedora or Debian)
Fedora does provide gstreamer plugins and maybe you should only support manufacturers that support Linux. :^)
>niche meme
>literally a meme
>outdated shit programs that no one is compiling because there's a better option

Are you a serious? USE="systemd" in make.conf, boom, all your packages integrate with systemd, although I'm sure you'll be wed for further explaination since you appear to be a brainlet

Wow. This tells me all I need to know about the anti-systemd movement.

>acpi and udev rules, how /proc/ and /sys/ work, wpa_supplicant, hwdb, and lots of other stuff like that.
I know all of that and I've never used Gentoo (been using Arch since 2010).

Oh and a whole shitload of understanding how compilation works, which arch weenies don't understand.

How mature of you. I too would dismiss a whole page of links and reasoning because of a single "humorous" picture. I tip my red hat to you good sir.

>Fedora does provide gstreamer plugins
Doesn't it require some third-party repo for some codecs?
>maybe you should only support manufacturers that support Linux
What do you have in mind?

Debian has all those in their non-free repos and Fedora (like any other distribution really) doesn't make it too hard to install those things either.

>allows to easily customize packages or make new ones (unlike e.g. Debian or Fedora)
All distros allow you to do this... Arch packages are simpler because they are basically just tarballs whereas Debian/Fedora packages include triggers, you can make Debian/Fedora packages that are just tarballs as well but at that point you might as well be using Slackware.

>has access to a compatible source-based user repository (unlike e.g. Debian or Fedora)
Arch needs the AUR because their own repository is extremely small. Major distros don't have a need for user repos because they package most things already.

Fuck off with your elitism.

Install Gentoo.

I used arch for 3 or 4 years altogether.
I've been using mint for about 2 years now.
I've probably used or at least tried dozens of others.
Arch and mint are probably my 2 favorites.

>Debian has all those in their non-free repos and Fedora (like any other distribution really) doesn't make it too hard to install those things either.
Debian doesn't package e.g. firmware for 43xx.
Also, does the installation media include non-free firmware? On Arch it does. This is an issue if you want to install over wifi and have e.g. Broadcom wifi or Intel Centrino.
>All distros allow you to do this...
I haven't said other distros don't have the ability to customize/make new packages AT ALL, but it's not as easy as PKGBUILDs on Arch or Ebuilds on Gentoo.
Source: At work I have the misfortune to work with servers running Ubuntu, and making a customized deb out of nginx, uwsgi etc. is a chore.
>Arch packages are simpler because they are basically just tarballs
Debs and RPMs are also just tarballs with files for the package and some control files, just like in Arch.
>Debian/Fedora packages include triggers
Arch packages support hooks.
>Arch needs the AUR because their own repository is extremely small. Major distros don't have a need for user repos because they package most things already.
Ubuntu at least, packages about the same stuff as Arch does. Both lack a lot of software, which I can find in AUR. AUR is great not only because it has packages for stuff missing from the binary repos, but also because it has "special" packages like ones with custom patches, ones using VCS etc. You can do this all manually, but why, when you can have the convenience of AUR?

have arch on mine laptop for 1y
just -Syu

>Why all the hate
It's arch

>Perfect for someone with a basic understanding of computers and a DIY attitude
Yes, so is pretty much every other to a various degree.
>Can be as bareboned or bloated as you wish
Above.
>Practical as fuck
Above.
Above.
>Why all the hate for systemd?
Why'd you want that POS when simpler, faster, safer alternatives exist?

Arch was good. It hasn't been for years.

>does the installation media include non-free firmware?
the default ones don't, but there are firmware-* images that do, at least for netinstall

>Also, does the installation media include non-free firmware? On Arch it does. This is an issue if you want to install over wifi and have e.g. Broadcom wifi or Intel Centrino.
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

>Ubuntu at least, packages about the same stuff as Arch does.
Arch repositories: repology.org/repository/arch
9275 packages
76 maintainers

Ubuntu repositories: repology.org/repository/ubuntu_17_10
28353 packages
3651 maintainers

Arch packages less software than any other distro and has fewer maintainers than any major distro, it absolutely needs the AUR and while AUR can be very convenient as you mentioned it is not of comparable quality, there is no automated building/testing, no QA and essentially no consistency between packages.

I'll concede the point of Arch package triggers, my guess is that they aren't used as much as in other distros because Arch still requires much more manual intervention than other distros.

Arch just works. If that's too difficult try Manjaro.

Is it possible to use arch linux without any systemd? What about using polkit or udisk without systemd?

>Is it possible to use arch linux without any systemd?
Yes but it's a pain.
Install Void instead.

Install Void Linux, it's litterally Arch without systemd.

Arch > Ubuntu > openSUSE > Mint > Debian > Gentoo > RedHat/Fedora/CentOS