Why haven't the Mac Pro concept catch on?

Why haven't the Mac Pro concept catch on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NDmOHU6lmRw
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X3430-vs-Intel-Core-i3-7350K/m5225vs3889
guru3d.com/news-story/cryorig-reveals-ola-and-taku-pc-cases.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because of custom motherboard.

Because it's a fucking trash can.
Round objects are hard to place, because it need more place than it should

>round object
>need more space

Patents.

You can't use the space indicated by red. If it were a rectangle it could be smaller

Because cooling is laptop-grade. The design also looks like a fucking trash can.

That form factor isn't conducive to being the type of system the Mac Pro needs to be. It's innovative, but external expansion is a silly idea and they didn't even support it well enough for it to be viable as a workstation.

>Because cooling is laptop-grade
>heatsink has more surface area than a laptop
>laptop grade

What did user mean by this?

>>heatsink has more surface area than a laptop
No it doesn't, the small form factor limits this. Why do you think apple trashed (lel) the design?

>No it doesn't, the small form factor limits this. Why do you think apple trashed (lel) the design?
I don't like the trash can Mac Pro but this isn't clearly the same size as a laptop heatsink.

I'd say it's undersized relative to other workstations like a HP Z440 or Dell Precision.

because its dumb to fit a square motherboard into a cylinder, the amount of space that wont be used is much bigger

Low capacity to update, bad cooling and non pci express.

Today Mac Pro 2010 could had vega cards,thunderbolt 3 cards,USB 3.1,nvme ssd, ...

You're Japanese, aren't you?

it's a pretty good concept (ignore geometry autists), but proprietary everything.

Custom modular parts end up costing more than regular parts, intel nucs and gigabyte brix already made a good mini case for pc components if you want better space.

A fucking trash can, that's why.

There are better, faster, cheaper alternatives.

Because it turned out to be fucking shit

> Desktop computer that is not upgradeable
gee, I wonder why it's hated even by Macfags

The W520 has a TDP of 45+55W and a large copper heatsink (when compared to other laptops)
The mac pro has a really shitty aluminium heatsink and a TDP of 130+2*175W

Because Apple completely fucked up the cooling by trting to cheap out and use an extruded aluminium heatsink with shit heat dissipation area and conductivity.

If you wanted to use up all possible space in a way that's conducive to tiling, wouldn't you make it in the shape of a hexagon rather than a square?

They fit two GPUs and a LGA2011 CPU inside of that?

>an absolute downgrade from its previous iteration in almost every way
>single-socket
>limp as shit graphics chipset
>stagnant as fuck, outdated for most of its life
>built to save space and look nice but any kind of expansion (especially the kind needed in the Mac's core markets) requires you to cover your desk in spaghetti that totally misses the point
>a cylinder when desks are square
it's nice as a "premium" desktop but laughable as a workstation

my school had them for art and animation and they were horribly slow for the one-off motion graphics course I took. $3000 each, good waste of money.

a friend of mine worked at a place that assembled and tested these things. 85% failure rate.

Do the mac trash graphic cards perform as well as a GTX1080?
Answer is no.
youtube.com/watch?v=NDmOHU6lmRw
That 980Ti he used RAPES that trash can.

Does your little door stopped have a LGA2011 processor? Or is it just some dinky little quad core. Doorstoppers and trash cans have their place, but they're not workstations. Get the previous model Mac Pro and place your GTX 1080 inside that. Or any current LGA2011v3, LGA2066, or TR4 workstation.

You're paying for overpriced trash no matter what version of MAC you buy.

Because it was expensive and wasn't better than anything else out there.

And its 2017 and they still sell them with Ivy Bridge Xeons. .

for what would you use the red space if you could?

Apple themselves ditched it and admitted it was a mistake in a small press discussion some months ago when detailing the plans for the new iMacs and such.

no reason to unless you are trying to reduce the surface area, and i dont see why you would

You seem to be forgetting the main event, the OS.

Even apple admitted it was a mistake.

They thought SLI/crossfire was the future but the GPU market has instead swung over to large powerful single cards.

Mac trashcan was never meant for crossfire (macOS doesn't support it) it just has 2 GPUs. There isn't anything inherently wrong with 2 separate GPUs in a system its just the software support just wasn't there.

Because a better concept have emerged.

Oh, yes, forgot that not only is the PC cheaper, it have the better OS.

>need more space than it should
It's a dual GPU workstation taking up less volume than ANY miniITX case that can even fit single GPU.

Too bad it uses 4 year old components

>get an even old overpriced underpowered piece of shit

LMAO@URLYFE

When you start adding shit like external harddrives and PCIe expansion. The old Mac pro doesn't seem so big after all, hell of alot less cable clutter that's for sure with a proper tower

incompatibility with standard addon cards

What the fuck was applel thinking

better cooling, physically larger and better components
of course apple probably wouldn't put better components in it as long as it can run their cuck software

fans are circular and there is no efficient way that you can range 3 circuit boards in a rectangular box.
Unless you can come up with a square fan the cylinder is the most efficient way of doing it.

in the age of diminishing returns a good dual socket nehalem system would probably still rip the shit out of whatever piece of garbage i3 you put in your gaming toy

the older mac pro probably easily preforms as well if not better when taking into account thermals

>mactoddler subhumans UNIRONICALLY believe this

These aren't even grown for eating.

The funny part is that you're not even entirely sure what he said. You just know that the "correct" response is memeing. Mactoddlers are fucking retards with more money than sense. But you're a retard, too.

Test

because SilverStone has a patent on horizontal motherboard orientation

Actually, I'm not sure you're correct. Care to find a benchmark for the system you're referring to, and I'll bench my i3 6100?

>t. iDiot
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X3430-vs-Intel-Core-i3-7350K/m5225vs3889

Actually, I looked it up myself. A decently clocked i3 6100 (4.6GHz) beats or ties any first gen i7 in Cinebench multithreaded. So a dual socket Nehalem system will have roughly twice the performance of a cheap Skylake system.

Literally why not a uniform great rhombicuboctahedron, or even a trapazoid.

>2.5inch drive(s)
>pcie raid card
>power supply
>larger heatsink
>discrete sound card

>trash can shape
into itself it goes

>implying you are buying a mac for the specs

>buying a mac for the specs
>for the specs

bait/10

>can't understand sarcasm

-old cpu architecture (when launched)
-weak GPUs
-cooling problems for said GPUs
>UN-UPGRADABLE "PRO" HEDT
-proprietary parts
-overpriced

But user, they have:

guru3d.com/news-story/cryorig-reveals-ola-and-taku-pc-cases.html

>fans are circular

You could probably stick a mini/mirco in one of these.

Over priced versions of last gen hardware.

Could argue its better surface area for airflow.

It only has a single fan and if you put anything over it, it over heats.

faggot

nigga u brainlet

>Mac Pro concept catch on?
A little bit.

Because a dynamic platform with a lot of choices available to the costumer will always prevail.
And these choices could be both economical and functional, this shows in the market share of different products.
Android i bigger than iOS
Windows is bigger than MacOS
Linux Server is bigger than Windows Server
The laptop is bigger than the tablet-pc

The problem with the Mac Pro is that it lacks flexibility and is very expensive!

These machines will have a market but they will never be mainstream.

I believe that if Apple put out a alternative to the Mac Pro in the form of a ATX or Mini-ATX tower they would out sell this version of the Mac Pro!

All macs have had custom mobos.

You forgot the most important point:

It throttled like shit, because that ThermalCore™ shit was a bad engineering solution to a shape constraint made by the design team.

All the bad decisions flowed from there. Unupgradeable GPU, limited I/O choice, limited storage, which made using lots of external dongles and devices a must for professionals, defeating the purpose of having a "small workstation".

lel

The Mac Pro is really quite impressive for the size, the thing is that you need to design the entire thing together to implement it.
You need the custom motherboard and custom graphics cards which will be mounted in a custom case.
It's just not worth it for most companies to do the same because there's less money to be made in the desktop arena, and I would say that in the desktop environment more people appreciate the option of expandability.

Is replacing `has` with `have` a new meme I am not aware of?

Just ESL shitters.

Are those washing machines or something?

I'm waiting for broken ones to show up online, I'd love to fill a shell with an SBC cluster.

My company used to mac servers like that until the new guy broke them when he inserted some dirty clothes plus detergent.

kek

hp tried
don't think it caught on

>Our pro market needs a new machine
>OK, what do they care about?
>Performance, reliability, serviceability?
>LET'S MAKE IT AS SMALL AS POSSIBLE
>Brilliant!
>Pro market proceeds to not buy it and move to actual workstations offered by other manufacturers
>Also never update it because lmao
Apple fucked up basically everything they could possibly fuck up, including the design. Even normies thought the design was dumb looking.

Because it's shit. And I daily a MBPr. I'd never buy a Mac Pro. I hope the rumors of the new one is true and they go back to the G5 tower style with real upgradability.

what's the point? The case is shit, the internals look kind of cool

>what's the point?
I don't need one.

It's pretty clear that pros don't want to be using this thing but if they move back to the old design it'd be an admission of failure along the lines of putting the 3.5 mm jack back into the iPhone.

There have been rumors linked to a small media event where some apple whoevers stated that they will be re-designing the Mac Pro with modularity as a core design. It was a month or two ago I think.

So they are acknowledging that it was a bad idea.

>round
it's literally cylindrical you moron

You can benchmark in Cinebench against a modestly configured (X5650) dual socket system.

Because it actually sucks?

I like your thinking.

Android is only big because it’s literally *the* pajeet OS

>if you block the airflow things overheat
no shit