He uses Arch instead of Ubuntu minimal for his """"minimalistic"""" operating system

>He uses Arch instead of Ubuntu minimal for his """"minimalistic"""" operating system
excuse me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You got a problem with that?

>not Solus which comes with 600~ packages and many of which can easily be removed (LibreOffice, media players, calculator, calendar, etc.), essentialy stripping it down to 500 and still fully functional

fuck off kevin

> 500
Bloated af.

post you are screenfetch

I manage thousands of Debian servers at my job.
Try doing that with rolling release Arch.

I use Puppy Linux.

how many packages?

I use Arch because it's rolling release and Debian sucks cock

I bet you wear shoes inside the house

ah yes, the classic reputation debian has for putting penises in its mouth.

It's the reputation the average Debian user has, that's for sure

Arch is good for a personal computer or a home server but it's not for real production servers

Rolling release, fuck you and your version upgrades that fuck up your system.

>binary
>rolling release
>very large package repo
>ports-ish build system
>mostly vanilla packages

The only downside of Arch is that it used to be shit years ago.

>large package repo
the offical repos are tiny. the ""devs"" leave it up to the users to put software onto the AUR.

>not using gentoo
off to with you

Unlike Arch, I have had ubunghole actually shit the bed on a routine update.

>600 packages
>installing bloatware

The official ubuntu repos are tiny. The "devs" leave it up to lusers to put malware in PPAs.

>arch repos
>ubuntu repos
30,000+
hmm

>use Linux
>install botnet distro.

Why?
Just use Windows 10.

backup your claims please

B-But muh AUR

youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc

you claim it's a botnet distro - it wasn't. only the DE was """botnet""" and who even ever used the search feature, or even unity for that matter?
i'm not trying to justify it, but you are using invalid points.

because aur gives me access to everything without having to add a ppa for each specific piece of software that's not in the repo

fuck your ppa's, Ubuntu.

dont use an apostrophe for plurals please user

only idiots claim rolling release is good for servers and you're an idiot for making that comparison

The company behind Ubuntu still makes money by collecting your personal data and selling it to advertisers.

That's their business model.

I don't understand? Why would I use Ubuntu minimal instead of Arch? What's the gain in this?

If this were true, you'd know there were well established ways of managing just such a situation.

Eat A Dick Faggot Your Post Is Far From Perfect

That's because:
1. Debian/Ubuntu splits everything into multiple packages.
2. Debian/Ubuntu adds additional versions with debugging symbols, which in 99% of cases you don't need and you can always recompile with them in case you do.

and arch claims to be minimalistic ramming all of these things into one package...
i'm sure this is how arch users define bloat.

Oh look another moron who thinks Arch is "minimalist." Point and laugh, everyone.

Arch doesn't claim to be minimalist. Arch claims to be simple. So if you need libX, you search with your package manager and on Arch you get a single package satisfying the requirement and on Debian you get 20.

> """"minimalistic"""" operating system
> systemd
> GNU coreutils
> GNU bash
> glibc
yeah, right

stable Rolling release, KISS principle.
Whole point in ubuntu was Unity DE.

How many versions of Ubuntu are there, though? Divide the package numbers by that and you have meh.

Why would you want to remove Libreoffice?

>arch claims to be minimalistic
Rice-fag memes, not Arch.

Why do people care about number of packages?

Don't all distros have all the packages you'll realistically ever want?

The only thing I don't like about Arch is that I have to compile some packages myself, instead of having a binary version.
Not a big issue with small packages, but I once had to install a package that took over 2 hours to compile - fuck that shit.

it further enforces the fact that the arch ""dev team"" are lazy shits who make the system 'KISS' for their purposes, not for the user. they don't do any developing anyway, they only wait for new versions of packages and push them into the repos

because it's shit and google docs does everything I need plus maked collaboration easy and simple

>but I once had to install a package that took over 2 hours to compile
Get a better PC.

this video can be redpilling for people who install a lot of proprietary garbage in their distro. I mean, it's ok to install some support for codecs but installing some freedom unfriendly shit like Steam is just unreasonable. If you want to still use all your botnet why not to just stay on Windows?

Arch is not KISS, Slackware is, but nobody in the right state of mind is using it.

>kiss
>manual dependancy management
what??

>kiss
>doesn't even have a unified package manager so you have to use different programs depending on where you're getting the software from
there's keeping it simple and then there's just being asinine

T460p

Package was QGIS (a program to show maps and geographic shapes) - in case anyone wonders.

KISS not equals user friendliness. Ios is not KISS
Slackware hasn't got any overcomplicated tools like systemd or an automated package manager which very often fetches additional packages that you don't need. Slackware in this sense is true KISS and muh Unix Philosophy.

>using kiss as an excuse to be a lazy dev

>he's an autistic neckbeard that complies code in order to use his computer

pathetic

>compiling programs in either ubuntu or arch
whut?

5 rupees have been deposited into your botnet account mr Pajeet.

>advocates functionality over foss bullshit
>must be a shill
ok chief

>arch has to be compiled in order to work
>has no out ''works out of the box version''

???

i think we're both a bit confused here user

Got any proof on that? I was thinking of installing Ubuntu minimal.

I still have my grande steam library from my pre redpilled days. Now I only buy from GOG but I will continue to play the games I already payed for.

Do you dual boot?

no and I don't use wine because I want to incentivize the gaming industry to release games for my favourite platform too

I did this and got sick of setting things up so just installed Xubuntu desktop, which is basically pre-riced Xfce plus some extra packages. Minimal enough for me.

mah nigga

>Arch claims to be simple.
claims

you are new here, aren't you?
he doesn't. Ubuntu's Unity desktop used to show amazon ads based on keywords (it's disabled now). There are no spyware in minimal install. It's fucking FOSS which means you can inspect every component of the system yourself. If there were any bloat the community would scream about it on every corner.

kek

>download ubuntu minimal
>end up selecting all boxes to give you ubuntu maximal because it's what you need
>have to download all shit that wasn't in the .iso in a boring 80's environment for half an hour

>It's fucking FOSS which means you can inspect every component of the system yourself. If there were any bloat the community would scream about it on every corner.

Just how if there were any serious security vulnerabilities in Linux, they would be caught quickly cause ITS FUCKIN FOSS, even though there have been numerous cases where critical bugs go un-noticed for years. And this is the Linux kernel. Ubuntu users are babbies. You think they're going to start looking at the source?

>500 packages
>freebsd with xorg a wm and a couple of lightweight tools is ~300 packages

I've never put a benis in my mouth, baka.

>Solus
>600 packages

So it comes with all available packages installed?

Yep, you got the minimal part wrong. You shouldn't select any boxes.
Ubuntu is used by a lot of different people, also it has a big slice of a server os market so if there would be some unusual activity with uploads and leaks - we would've already knew about it.

>T460p
Get a better PC.

>remove all the useful shit
>"now my OS is fully functional"
kek