15" rMBP vs iMac

Should I sell my 13" retina MacBook Pro (2015) and buy a 15" retina MacBook Pro (2017), or should I just buy an iMac? I'm having a hard time deciding. I can pick up a cheap Dell IPS 4k monitor (ugh) to pair with the 15" rMBP for about the same total price as an iMac. Also, is there any reason to go with the 2017 iMac over the 2015 iMac? It seems like the 2015 will save me some money and have similar performance for productivity purposes.

Other urls found in this thread:

tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/august/2017/#CustoMac_Pro
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If all you care about is general productivity, get the rMBP and monitor.

>If all you care about is general productivity, get the rMBP and monitor.
Any reason you don't recommend the iMac? It'll be a nicer display and more overall power for about the same amount of cash.

Mainly I'm just sick of my 13"—it's cramped, slow, etc. It's usable but I need more than a low-powered dual core nowadays.
>also I don't have enough RAM

Portability.

The only reason I didn't suggest doing nothing at all because I figured, seemingly correctly, that 13" is just too cramped. 15" is good on the go and the monitor is nice when you're at home.

Ok, first off, tell us what you even fuckin want, cause it's a little hard to know what you're going for from your post.

>Ok, first off, tell us what you even fuckin want, cause it's a little hard to know what you're going for from your post.
Well, basically, I have a 13" 2015 model with 8GB RAM and whatever dual-core i5 it came with. I'm constantly maxing out my RAM and it's fucking killing me, and the extra CPU horsepower would be amazing. I've checked around and it seems as though the 2017 15" rMBP is marginally better than the iMac's entry-level i5 but a fair amount worse than the iMac's i7 (7700k I think it is). The 2015 model has a 4970k I think, which is pretty damn good still (allegedly within 10% of the 7700k—is that true?)

Basically, I'm trying to
1) tease out whether or not I should just keep my current laptop and get the iMac and have kind of the best of both worlds, assuming the 2015 rMBP is still worthwhile vs. the 2017 15" which may be kind of a bad and expensive middle ground (speculating)
and
2) learn whether or not there are any huge differences outside of a GPU upgrade between the 2015 and 2017 iMacs

and also I'd appreciate any opinions

I'm getting into software development and run a small business and do misc things and I find myself multitasking a lot which is just too much for my wee 13" setup right now

have you compared the 13 and 15 yourself? From what I can tell the 15" has the screen real estate of a 1440x900 monitor which is pretty nice, but I'm worried that it'll still be too cramped, and thus roughly just as cramped as my 13", in which case I'd be better off sticking with what I've got and buying the iMac (best of both worlds)

>OP wants to buy overpriced mac shit
>faggots on Sup Forums actually help him
Sup Forums is dead

...what's wrong with Macs? This is a technology board, is it not? Macs are excellent

It makes a difference but I can't speak for your preferences or workflow. Depends on the "misc things" and the nature of your small business. Personally, I can easily handle split-screening a 15 with text.

tl;dr: I have like 300 tabs open at any given time and occasionally a VM, and as I said I'm getting into software dev and so build times etc. should be improved with the superior CPU

Do you run your 15" on the 1440x900 scaling mode?

Just get the iMac. I can already tell you're going to lose your shit the moment something gets overwhelming and you blame the screen size.

>I can already tell you're going to lose your shit the moment something gets overwhelming
This seems completely random

This, OP is literally going to shit his pants the second he runs into an infinite loop.
>spending 3000 dollarydoos on a CS101 machine

OP here, happy to consider your point but I don't know what you guys are on about
>blame the screen size
what?

holy shit u are so fucking stupid. In my country 3000$ is what people make in one year (!) or even less. get s thinkpsd fucking idiot.

i might be stupid but at least i don't make $3k a year LOL

kek

Just buy an external monitor with a good res that isn't overpriced dude, portability is nice to have.
You don't really need a fast GPU or CPU for programming.

poo in the loo

>You don't really need a fast GPU or CPU for programming.
programming isn't my sole purpose for this machine, though. I'm hitting the limits of my current system and I have to upgrade either way, I'm just not sure which route I want to take yet

So you want an efficient machine to handle semi-hard tasks relatively frequently for a business? Ok. I have had an iMac, and multiple macbooks in my life, but I cannot ever recommend the former simply because of its ludicrous price, consistently ~2.5x more expensive than nigh identical windows hardware. They are also generally not good enough for serious animators and photographers.

I would normally recommend the mbpr, but if your normal everyday use is legitimately maxing out the 2015 version, than you need a desktop (what are you doing to max out your macbook? I have had the 2013 mbpr, and while taxing it pretty hard over the years with both gaming and assortments of other things have never had reason to complain). Since the iMac is out of the question, honestly why not consider a hackintosh? They used to rightfully have a reputation for extreme bugginess, but nowadays they are decently easy to build and very stable. tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/august/2017/#CustoMac_Pro
In the above link one build uses the 7700k, but you'd be getting other better parts so it'd be an overall faster comp.

>consistently ~2.5x more expensive than nigh identical windows hardware
The iMac? It's around $2k flat for a nice setup with a beautiful 5k display, and the only 5k monitors available are like 1.2k+ alone, so I'd say it's actually Apple's most value-priced offering. The 2017 15" rMBP is more overpriced by a mile.

>but if your normal everyday use is legitimately maxing out the 2015 version, than you need a desktop (what are you doing to max out your macbook?
It has a slow dual-core equivalent to an i3 from 5 years ago, it's really not difficult to do. Also, I only have 8GB of RAM—I didn't think I'd need more, but I do.

> Since the iMac is out of the question
It's not
>honestly why not consider a hackintosh
Unstable tinkery garbage

>The iMac? It's around $2k flat for a nice setup with a beautiful 5k display
Ok, honestly I did not consider the display factor, but if that's a big concern, sure then it's a great deal.

Not to be nitpicky or pedantic, but I am suspecting that your workflow or personal use habits could improve and thus speed up your macbook. I only say this because I routinely have ~100 tabs open in multiple windows, with an ungodly cluttered desktop, and can still watch 1080p vids without lag or any kind of stutter. Out of personal experience, I'd recommend you look there.

>Unstable tinkery garbage
If you look around online they are known to have become respectably stable in the last few years.

>Not to be nitpicky or pedantic, but I am suspecting that your workflow or personal use habits could improve and thus speed up your macbook. I only say this because I routinely have ~100 tabs open in multiple windows, with an ungodly cluttered desktop, and can still watch 1080p vids without lag or any kind of stutter. Out of personal experience, I'd recommend you look there.
I don't believe a change in my habits can fix the fact that I run out of RAM frequently due to what I use the machine for. I mean, I could probably just sell this and get a machine with 16GB RAM, but I'm in the market and I may as well improve upon this shitty dual core while I'm at it.

tl;dr I want to upgrade to one or the other, I'm just not sure which one yet. I know that the 2017 rMBP 15" will be perfectly adequate, but there's still the fact that I do get more for my money with the iMac. It's too bad that good monitors are still so expesnive, and there really aren't any 5k monitors on the market other than 2 or 3 shitty ones

>If you look around online they are known to have become respectably stable in the last few years.

it's still terrible, same old problems. I don't want to have to worry every time there's an update about tinkering with kexts, etc., i want to use facetime and imessage (inb4 you can) etc.

Doesn't really matter they will both underclock because macs don't have cooling.

If you go the macbook route I suggest waiting a bit for a coffee lake upgrade since intel will release it on 21st. It's gonna be better than kek i7 and who knows maybe after AMD lighting the fire under Intel's ass they will use a proper solder instead of a shlomo jizz, or at least a better shlomo jizz or apple will put in AMD inside since Intel is supposedly making thunderbolt 3 license free in 2018.

>throttlebook
>any year

>I suggest waiting a bit for a coffee lake upgrade since intel will release it on 21st
Thanks for the tip, although they did just launch the new Kaby Lake Macbooks last month I believe

>cherrypicking and/or a single unverifiable meme image
some of their models do throttle occasionally but the overwhelming majority are perfectly fine, but you don't care, you just want to post memes and kkekxDddD greentext etc

Just get a shitty $600 Acer, it'll blow the shit out of the Macbook.

A mactoddler has defended his fruity toy trash.

get a room guys

what kind of legit autist uses this language and posts this stuff? kek
must be one sad ugly loser

what kind of legit autist uses macshit and comes to a technology board? kek
must be one sad ugly loser

I've been here a while and I see you occasionally, jokes aside I really think you are a pathetic person

I've been here a while and I see you occasionally, jokes aside I really think you are a pathetic person

Quad core i7 macbook pro 15 2017 slower than surfacebook dual core i7

go away kevin

A last gen budget ULV i7 at that.

>pulling things out of your ass

well jee wiz I guess since all I care about is Adobe Premier I'll buy this plastic shitbox from eBay

oh wait

>one-hour Prime95 in Windows on a 13-inch Macbook results in throttling

Nick?

who?

Why don the you take off those socks and show me your feet, babe?

dont talk to my gf like that

macOS isn't free
Macs aren't 'overpriced', they don't even have any legitimate competition.

I agree with this. Max's are basically Unix machines but commercial. Here really isn't anything else on the market doing what they do. They're like a hold-out fro, the 1980's hacker scene or something. Too bad everyone here is an underage, low-IQ, contrarian dipshit, and thus can't appreciate them.

Why are 3rd worlders allowed to post anonymously on my tech board?

>typos
Woops

>Macbook

>double the price
>half the performance
#JustAppleThings

But that's a lie, not that you care, because you're stupid and/or have mental illness and prefer to waste your time trying to win a manufactured argument with strangers on the Internet

Its an autistic street shitter. A warning alarm sounds in New Delhi's Microsoft HQ when anyone mentions Apple and then the image macro brigade come and post 'mactoddler' and the same cycled 5-10 macros over and over. I have no idea how this dumb fag is still posting and hasn't been rangebanned. I wish Sup Forums had flags.

This is true, I've seen the same thing over and over for years now

>t. Ranjeet

You barely even understand that 1 random article you keep posting. Some laptops throttled under a stress test. Where's half the performance? The MacBook is meant for stress free operation and maximum uptime, not running synthetic benchmarks pinning shit at 100%. You're a very dumb pranjeet, can you even make a custom ROM?

It also responds back to accusations of being a pajeet by just calling you a pajeet back. Only an Indian can be this autistic, possibly a German but given the circumstances its most likely Indian.

>put i7-7700HQ in laptop
>DON'T USE IT THAT WAY

Mactoddlerism.

If you actually look at the article, the only time this 'throttling' happened was during Prime95 after one hour on Windows. This is about as far removed from real-world usage as possible. Also, the other systems throttled, too, and they didn't even measure performance at those throttled speeds, so it's all moot.
we're not even talking about that system you hopelessly stupid shitskin, lol

Get the MacBook Pro. You can build a Hackintosh that kicks the shit out of the iMac later if you need a desktop.

>low voltage i5 in two-year-old 13" model throttles after an hour under Prime95 on a different OS than what everyone will use
>therefore this completely different CPU in this completely different 15" 2017 model is bad
:thinking:

I'm leaning toward the MBP, I'm just not completely certain yet. I definitely do not want a Hackintosh, though.

>throttlebook

lmao

it's not 1999. windows is better at everything

>expecting prankesh to understand basic logic never mind how to use komputah

He literally does not even understand what you just said.