I'll give you exactly ten seconds to post legitimate valid reasons why you haven't ditched old...

I'll give you exactly ten seconds to post legitimate valid reasons why you haven't ditched old, withering mechanical hard drives for solid state drives

You're allowed to bitch about price, only if you're poor, or hobo

Other urls found in this thread:

computerworld.com/article/3040208/data-storage/samsung-ships-the-worlds-highest-capacity-ssd-with-15tb-of-storage.html
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/1/12342696/samsung-pm1633a-ssd-15tb-storage-drive-specs-price
storagereview.com/viking_ships_its_50tb_ssd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm allergic to magnets.

Because I can get a 4TB mech drive for the same price as a 500GB SSD... You're just wasting your time and money if you go SSD for main storage.

I'm gay

Boot time

Obviously OS would be on an SSD

Who cares about 20 extra seconds of boot time

we know

CoW filesystems make them great again.
You get capacity, write serialization, and RAM caching. Puny NAND cannot compete when you can buy five 2TBs for the same price as a 1TB SSD.

I heard torrenting wears down a SSD faster. Just replaced the mechanical drive for a SSD to install the OS, gonna put the old drive in an external enclosure just for torrenting and data storage.

Because all flash memory inherently is volatile when left unpowered, and will literally leak electrons from its cells. Magnetic storage does not have this problem; you can power on old IDE drives and they'll still retain data. An SD card or SSD won't guarantee such data integrity. SSDs are only worthwhile where IO is need, such as a boot drive. Everything else is a consumerist meme, where HDDs last longer/per GB and guarantee data integrity when left unpowered unlike SSDs.

/Thread

They don't make 10TB SSDs yet.

Because there's no reason to use SSDs for storing TV shows and Movies.

computerworld.com/article/3040208/data-storage/samsung-ships-the-worlds-highest-capacity-ssd-with-15tb-of-storage.html

ok
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/1/12342696/samsung-pm1633a-ssd-15tb-storage-drive-specs-price

>> not having 1TB bank of DDR4
>> not burning OS installation into ROM
>> not having custom fpga to interface as sata drive
>> not enjoying microsecond load times
stay poor SSD fags

>$400 HDD vs $10,000 SSD
Choices... Choices.

10TB HDDs isn't $400

It's $350 or so nowadays

Nobody said you should buy them, they said you can buy them.

I appreciate the craftsmanship. Mechanical hard drives are like beautiful, exquisitely crafted clockwork watches.

god, i cant wait to pay $1000 for a hard drive

dont have to worry about boot times if you never turn off your computer.

See

go back to /lgbt/

SSDs shit themselves if they're turned off for more than 2 weeks in a row

>10k dollars for a 15Tb SSD
How many 2Tb HDDs can you buy with 10k again?

They are bad for encryption.

programs open faster
web pages load faster
boot time
overall system sped

Stop being poor. I have a 4TB SSD, and it's all I need. Fast. Holds all my gaymes

>tfw I fell for Sup Forums's memes
>Installed Gentoo
>2TB SSD
>Three 8TB HDDs using RAID 5
>64GB dual channel DDR4 RAM
>Intel processor (i7-7700K), and three GTX 1080's for five monitors
>Have been using this for six months and have filled less than 2GB of storage
>Have never used more than 5% of my RAM at a time

You do realize you can use more than one drive, right?

No matter how much I spend on an SSD I will get more storage by spending the same amount on an HDD.

Do you use more than 4TB? HDDs are cheaper. That's it. They're for poorfags or servers.

Because it serves it's function just the same and my time is more valuable than going out of my way to shave a second or two off boot time.

SSDs have poor legacy OS support

>Do you use more than 4TB?
Certainly, I'm getting another 4TB HDD soon. Running out of space with my current 7.5TB setup.

Well, because I'm poor, I use two eight years old wd black 1tb drives that was in home pc's before I got them.

For what? Any important content I've downloaded is under 500GB. Are you downloading linux isos? I have all my linux isos on a home media server. Yea, I use HDDs for it. It's just a linux iso server

TV shows and movies.

I have a 32TB RAID5 that cost me $800 vs $5,000 if it was SSDs

Electron leaking something or other

give it back, jamal.
you have to pay for the movies

I do when I see one I like for a good price. Not going to waste money on movies when I can spend it on HDDs and have even more movies.

SSD for OS and primary programs. 2-4TB mechanical drive for storage.

linux isos means movies. It's used on other sites so mods cant ban you for talking about pirating

Well then I am downloading Linux ISOs, and TV shows.

What legacy OS are you using?

jeffOS

Oh, hi Jeff

Because I want a drive that will work without shitting itself if I write on it a lot.

Storage

he said storage

>he hasnt spent 1000 for a 35mb hdd

It's about the potential, not the execution.

I too have extra power for things like firefox, twitter and 4chain. Those ylyl threads can be very gpu intensive.

>>Have been using this for six months and have filled less than 2GB of storage
>>Sup Forumsptg/

Because I'm not some retard that thinks it has to be one or the other. My OS and applications are on SSDs because they can benefit from the increased performance offered by them, my long term storage is on HDDs because it's drastically cheaper per gigabyte and more reliable.

I get boot times under 10 seconds with bloated Windows 10 on a hard drive.
Now it's your turn to give me a reason for using an SSD.

>download entire booru
your welcome

Keke

Which one? Dan? Gel? Fluffy?

you have 24tb nigger download everything

I'm poor

jokes on you I never turn off my computer

So if you actually do this to the hard drive (along with preliminary software wipe), would even the FBI or CIA be able to recover any meaningful information from the drive?

Depends how many pieces you pick up and discard in different random locations.

I have an SSD for the OS and my most common programs, and two spinning rust drives (one for programs I don't use very much and one for all my files)

>he doesn't use a 50TB ssd

storagereview.com/viking_ships_its_50tb_ssd

You can never fully erase a ssd. Never. You can erase a hdd. Physically destroy it and erase it. But never a ssd

Are you implying you can't physically destroy an SSD?

By the time you can destroy each individual chip I can eat and digest a disk from an hdd

Wouldn't spending a few minutes reducing the flash chips to dust with a hammer be more than sufficient?

interesting. i went abroad, had my desktop delivered 7 months later and somehow nothing was wrong with it. care to explain?

user thinks that specs from ancient SSDs apply to modern ones.

>hobo
Um, what?

>SSDs to replace my hhds would cost ~$4000, about double the price of all my recent computer hardware

>Wouldnt be any faster as it'd still be bottlenecked by ethernet

Because I have about 50 mechanical drives either in cabinets or desks or boxes that are each about a TB in size. Why buy more?

Because I'm using an old, withering laptop. I'll get one when I upgrade to an Elitebook within a few months, as it only costs like 10 bucks more to go from a 320 GB HDD to a 320 GB SSD.

I'm poor too expensive

If I'm guessing right, the dude prefers to use an industrial blender to reduce it to dust and eat it, so that he can have a smug, autistic grin when the cops bust down his door for whatever reason.

Alternatively you could get a netflix/crunchyroll subscription and stop hoarding your animu

>streaming

neet here.
enjoy your flipped long term storage device.

>elitebook
get a chinkpad brah.

>get a chinkpad brah.
I'm good. I've been using this Sony Vaio since 2010. Elitebook will serve me just fine when I pull the trigger. i5, 8GB of RAM, and 320 GB on SSD for 187.

8 TB storage for $160

or

$2000

I was not born into the Trump crime family, so fuck (you)

>ITT people who don't understand tiered storage

Ditched spindles completely? Because the 560tb of archive storage I have doesn't need to be especially fast, but does need better random i/o than a tape drive.

Front line storage is 32tb in spindle and 4tb in SSD.

Got some Phison chinkbrand M2 500 gigs SSD built into my craptop, absolutely based. I'll keep using my 2TB HDD on my server, however.

I'm both poor and a hobo

>not getting the best of ssds and hdds with bcache
Bcachefs is the future, it's also cow which is dank

>And one dumb animeposter

OS and programs on SSD, storage on HDD because: if SSD dies, its gone. Cant restore anythng.

Fuck off moralfag

oh sure... THAT's why. not because you're poor or anything

>he doesn't use diskettes
Wow I thought/g/ liked good technology.

because they have a known write limit.

>wasting your "time and money"
Lmao excellent bait

SSDs can corrupt easier

>write super important data
>take it out for 1 month
>plug it in
>3.98TB free from 3.98TB