What is IRC used for?

What is IRC used for?

Is it just for people with retro boners?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NEgwxGWgiIg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Basically. Discord does everything it does only better. The only reason to use IRC over discord is hipster-ism or an aversion to the program due to it's marketing towards """"gamers""""

dumb titcowposter

rare chinese cartoons

bootstrapping more advanced chat systems from an IRC backend is trivial

it's a chat protocol, what do you think

Or if you don't want to give all your data to some shady chinese advertising company or run a bloated piece of shit when all you want is text chat

does discord allow file transfers via dcc bots?

Enjoy talking to the other 6 people still clinging to IRC.

Discord isn't preferable if you want to be super secret. Have they even added the ability to have multiple accounts online yet? So I can understand if some people want ultra privacy.

That said, it really does do just about everything else better.

It's used for real-time chat and filesharing.
As the backbone for multiple IM applications and other real-time chatrooms. Many mobile messaging clients are based on IRC, as are things like Twitch's chat and those live customer service things you see on some websites. Companies also have internal IRC servers for fast and efficient communication. Many open source projects have IRC channels for giving support to their users, and there are multiple channels dedicated to filesharing via XDCC bots.
In general, IRC is the one legitimate way to do instant messaging, for whatever purpose. It's and extendable standard, even useful just on its own.

>discord
>as an alternative to anything above

IRC is also decentralized and you can host your own servers. It is inherently more secure and has been in use for decades and wasn't built just to datamine its users.

Not sure how it's bloated unless you run a potato

Discussion and piracy.

>Discord
Hello FBI agent

plus now being all SJW PC and banning people

>discord
Fuck even matrix servers are better than discord, they at least can handle video in the client and you can host your own.

It's really nice. There are terminal irc clients like irssi and weechat, so I can run my irc in a tmux session on the server downstairs and pick up where I left off chatting from any computer or even my phone. All this is possible with free software as well. It's great.

youtube.com/watch?v=NEgwxGWgiIg

Just because you can give it the resources it wants, doesn't mean it should want those resources. A properly written client (ie not fucking javascript) would use far less resources while being faster. Of course that would require having some actual developers.

horrible post from somebody who obviously doesn't understand their main differences

anybody can host an irc server. they are secure. your not being datamined by god knows who.

discord may be more fashionable with the normies but irc is not going away any time in the foreseeable future

One advantage IRC has over Discord is that you can't edit or delete posts.

Having more resources is no excuse for wasting then. If you think it is, you're a slave to planned obsolescence and will keep spending your money only to never receive something measurably better than what you had before.

Why are there tiles on the wall

Jesus H Christ.

The things I would do for that...

Yeah, I like milk too.

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

You have a fat mother, negro.

>Preggo
>Noticeable cellulite
Absolutely disgusting

IRC = Linux, Discord = Windows, except IRC isn't that hard to use.

discord doesn't have dcc so there is no comparison, discord is better for chatting.

you can compare irc to discord, just like you can't compare discord to torrents or mega

>not wanting to bathe a pre-born in semen
wew step yo game up phem

this is why I don't like wh*Te "ppl"

Fun fact: napster used an IRC backend

Meant to reply to this

-for downloading files and shit, way better than dead anime torrents or slow ddl server
-1337 haxx0r sekrit klub feeling

But thats a jew

I still use hexchat and ryzon, there's still a fuckton of irc channels i follow that don't use Discord yet either for anonymity or they don't want/need all the fucking bells and whistles. Dont get me wrong I love Discord but overkill for basic chat channels

>electron
>not bloated
top kek

It was getting out of style until all this 'decentrelize the web' thing started. I see that more and more people use it everyday and kinda glad that they do because you still can have some kind of privacy when you using it.

IRC is fairly obsolete messaging protocol. There are some very good and simple clients and solid servers, and for simplicity of a protocol itself it's easy to hack on. You can write a simple IRC client on ~100 loc without specialized library.

Encryption-wise, I've never heard of anything else for IRC other than TLS. Simple implementation of Matrix protocol (without all that session group encryptions) would replace IRC and got rig of all that stupid naming restrictions and limitations of line-based protocol.