Portable Media Players Thread

Portable Media Players Thread

I've been working on restoring an iPod 4th Generation. It seems like the hard drive is dying, so I've ordered the shit to put a CF card in it, and also ordered a CF to MicroSD. So far I'm in $34, have I done good so far?

they sound terrible and the eq is literally a joke

Will it still be shit if I install Rockbox?

I recently got my first Rockbox device, a Clip Zip. Installed Rockbox on it and it was mostly working fine but now it keeps giving me "panic" errors when I play music. It won't turn back on for a long time, this has happened three times and I don't wanna risk the brick being permanent. What gives?

I've done that 4 years before with the same iPod. Still working :^)

Just bought a Mini a few days ago, going to toss in an 8GB CF card till I find my microSD to CF adapter.

You'll have a better equalizer.

bump

I did the 1900mAh battery mod on a iPod Classic, but it won't charge.
Though with the remaining charge it lasted fucklong, like 2 weeks.
The audio quality is useable. Not good by any means.

Reporting in
128GB mSD inside

What does buying an ipod get you that some chink shit DAP won't

Ayy another 4th gen dude.
I was going to CF mod mine but itunes on windows refuses to flash it so i can then install rockbox. Works just fine on OSX though.

The clickwheel, dumbass.

And iTunes sync

>wanting itunes sync

Troll.

High moddability hardware wise, relatively low price and lots of spare parts available on the Internet
Also Rockbox, don't forget about that

>iTunes sync
No

A fuckton of spare parts and a well established mod community.

Clip Zip masterrace here

How's the sound on this?

Any info?

I just want a separate device which will sound good and in which I'll actually be able to use my hi-end stuff and use FLAC

I have like a bunch of 256mSD cards around so yeah.

Are you just modding it to achieve the functionality of the previously mentioned chinkshit daps?

Not trying to shitpost either, anytime I see online discussion about daps it's always fiio and other shit, not ipods anymore.

Nah, I'm modding it just to mod it and keep using it. I'm autistic to the point that once i find something that works i stick with it.

I do it because it's neat and I love clickwheels. The only non-iPod clickwheels I've seen are mechanical

>decide to fuck with it again
>still doesnt work
>ended up breaking the headphone jack/hold cable's connector of in the port
Fuck. $10 fucking cable. Might as well start looking at 5th gens again.

Or just buy chinkshit

I have a Clip Zip with Rockbox. Sound is bretty gud but certainly not audiophile tier. Shit ton of sound options though, so you can set it sound however you like it.