/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Hey Faggots,
My name is rms, and this is /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MgDfpzQya14&t=406s
guide.bash.academy/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/17392
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
youtube.com/watch?v=wMvyOGawNwo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why does it take so much time to install gentoo?

How do I fix fontrendering so that it doesn't look like this? I've seen this in Krita and KeePass.

Has anyone used Solus? If yes, what are your thoughts? I'm considering making it my primary distro.

It's not font rendering, you just chose a shitty font. Set your fonts (I set mine for GTK programs and then make Qt use GTK settings).

>he has a primary distribution
>he has a secondary distribution
>he doesn't know what a distribution is
>he doesn't mention things he dislikes with his current distribution
>he just blindly asks stupid questions and take the first answer he gets that reinforces his beliefs

You struck a lot of idiotic things with your post. Congratulations, you are a top idiot.

Thanks, sorry for being new, this helped me figure it out on my own with the help of your keywords.

Thanks, sorry for being new, this helped me figure it out on my own with the help of your keywords.

Fedora > solus

What laptop offers the least troubleshooting with gentoo?
I'm indifferent between a thinkpad x201, a x220 and a dell xps13

I think an x220 might be your best bet. Check out this based god:
youtube.com/watch?v=MgDfpzQya14&t=406s

I know he's talking about an x200, but he has a comparison video between x200 and x220, which might be useful for you to make up your mind!

How do I make the middle click + track-point scoll on my thinkpad in linux. The middle click registers, delete tabs etc, but holding it alongside movin' the track-point doesn't scroll.

Why do you want such a strange behavior?

I'm trying to decide which DE I should use for my new arch install.

What is Sup Forumsapproved and what is a recommended WM? i3?

I'm more interested in "which model will allow me to troubleshoot by copy paste".
Especially copy pasting a generic kernel config, get the network, video and sound working before I can effectively used the computer to watch cartoons and shitpost online.
Indeed there is a lot of resources for the x220 but the x201's 16:10 monitor makes me wish I'd get to get a nice monitor ratio while holding the possibility to be spoonfed on /flt/ threads.

Hi /fglt/.

I noticed that I don't use a lot of the swap partition I made for my distro, and I was considering reducing the size tremendously. I barely use, like, 500MiB worth of swap, and that's only really in the most dire of cases.

Is there any reason not to? I know that some distros make optimizations under the assumption that swap is 2*RAM, but is that really necessary, nowadays? Even for 8GBs of RAM? Or even half of the RAM size? That just seems like a waste of space.

I can't use a swapfile because btrfs doesn't support that feature.

>he
Just say "I", you idiot. Everyone knows that it's you who's posting your videos.

>I'm more interested in "which model will allow me to troubleshoot by copy paste".
I mean, that's pretty much every ThinkPad.

Beyond premade kernel configs, though, I don't think there's really all that many Gentoo issues that are distinctly hardware-related. Driver support is pretty much comparable on all GNU/Linux distros, because it really comes down to Linux itself.

Does nouveau work well with a GTX 950? I'm considering buying one and I don't want to mess with the proprietary nvidia driver ( getting it working is fucking hell sometimes, nouveau just werks in most cases )

I use the libinput X driver and its "Button Scrolling Button" property.

Luke might be a huge memelord, but he isn't dumb enough to make a comment as conspicuous as that.

You can swap on video ram if you don't need a lot of swap. Also consider using zswap.

2*ram is a very old recommendation, from back when it was normal to use more memory than you actually had in order to run several things at a time
if you never run out of physical ram, you only need swap if you're using hibernation, and if you don't use that either, you don't need swap space at all

The RAM*2 rule is from back when computers barely had any memory, but a fair bit of extra disk space. Nowadays you only need RAM*1 at the very most in case you want your machine to hibernate. Otherwise RAM/2 should be fine.

If you don't play games then with 8GB of ram you probably don't even need a swap at all.

And Linux can also do "swap files" on your main partition which dynamically scale, the equivalent of "pagefiles" on Windows. So you can still get a swap if you find you need one later without having to have a whole partition for it.

>And Linux can also do "swap files" on your main partition which dynamically scale, the equivalent of "pagefiles" on Windows. So you can still get a swap if you find you need one later without having to have a whole partition for it.
he said he uses btrfs, which doesn't support swap files (swap files require direct io, which btrfs can't do)

Btrfs allows that? AFAIK btrfs is incompatible with any swap file.

you can work around it by making an image file, attaching it to a loop device, then making that a swap device
but i would recommend against that

Oh I didn't know swapfile was filesystem dependent. I thought it was just a file that gets written to, no idea it was more special than that.

But anyways, can't hibernate actually just optionally dump to a file? without even needing a swap partition or a swapfile?

even the network / sound?
If I recall, the wifi needs a special workaround to work with the intel card.
As for the sound, alsa has been a pain to configure on every machine I ever used.

>But anyways, can't hibernate actually just optionally dump to a file? without even needing a swap partition or a swapfile?
don't see why not, haven't looked into it

I fucked my computer by installing kubuntu over windows.

Seems I didn't configure it properly. On every second boot-up I get crashes (and crashes occur if I go to "sleep" mode).

Any protips on how I go about solving this?

wait, that would mean the filesystem would need to be mounted r/w at the time of hibernation
maybe not so easy to do

in the case of a swap disk, the swap doesn't contain anything important, and is not a user volume, and for a swap file, that can be written to directly on the disk, without the filesystem itself being mounted (this is why btrfs can't do it, it can't create a file with a contiguous, immutable space which can be safely manipulated outside of the btrfs driver)

Format hard drive. Reinstall properly.

install arch

That might work. With a shell access, you can debug the xorg problems. And that works in almost all cases. I've seen only one case, when it actually worked, but you couldn't see it because the backlight didn't work well.

Just bought an intuos draw CTL-490

Are there drivers for this? I need to remap the tablet area because my screen is square-ish.

>cat file | grep pattern
I do it all the time and I hate myself for it.
What stupid shit do you do without thinking about it, Sup Forums?

What does it do? I'm new.

cat file | more

Shit. I do this a lot too.

It's pointless.
grep "pattern" file

I don't do it myself anymore, but it's pretty popular for some reason:
grep something | awk '{ print $2 }'
which can be done all with awk alone:
awk '/something/ { print $2 }'

I still type "cd directory", meanwhile the autocd option is enabled since years. I guess its muscle memory.

i often forget -o file when using curl

just use >

I have a 1tb HDD where my current system is and a smaller SSD with nothing on it where I want to install a certain distro. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to install it from within my current system, without having to boot into the live usb?
2. If I did install it like that, would the installations be able to share a partition? (/home partition)
3. If one of them is using BIOS and the other UEFI, would there be a problem or is it just a matter of switching boot order?

or just wget

>1. Is it possible to install it from within my current system, without having to boot into the live usb?
Yes. Install pacstrap and help yourself.
>2. If I did install it like that, would the installations be able to share a partition? (/home partition)
Yes.
>3. If one of them is using BIOS and the other UEFI, would there be a problem or is it just a matter of switching boot order?
Dunno.

Anyone actually tried NixOS or GuixSD here?
When you set it up the first time, does it create a minimal base system and then you can run the config file you create?

How much does it install at the start? Does it install a DE by default? What default settings does it use? How do you get it to remove shit you might not want?

I miss using GNU/Linux.

What are you usin now? busybox/othernongnustuf/linux or bsd?

Hey guys, I'm new to Linux and have Q.

Is Arch Linux the distribution that lets you use a terminal to do tasks?

All of them

I recently broke a CentOS installation due to my stupidity and root access. Whats a good way to make sure a linux novice like myself doesn't break a linux installation? Is there an easy way to create backups that can be reloaded without any trouble?

Give your root password to an experienced sys admin so you cant do stupid shit again
>backups
Yes, but i doubt you'd be able to manage it without fucking it up

No ubuntu try to prevent terminal usage.

Distros are just projects to prepackage the software for end use. It's still the same GNU/Linux in every distro.

You can use the command line in any of them. All "easy" distros come with a terminal emulator, which is like Command Prompt but not shit.

guide.bash.academy/

Well the sys admins do have root, but the hosting provider im using charges extra for installing certain software, such as openVPN which I had to install manually. I'm not a complete retard when it comes to linux, so whats a good way to backup CentOS so I can request a rollback if needed?

Thank you for the information, that's very helpful with my understanding. It seems the case is that the only difference is the package managers and software versions depending on release model? Apologies for my poor English.

Why do people hate systemd for being bloated when you can literally disable everything you don't want to use?

Nothing should depend on init 1 (systemd)
The lead developer dosent understand basic computing,and is overal incompetent to the max degree.Its more then just the software at this point.Its too big to audit and even if you tried to audit it, its so fucked up it would take years with the constant mucking about on every part of the system

Go here for some comical relief and then realization that poettering dosent know what the fuck he is doing

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Pretty much spot on. Some distros apply their own patches to packages as well, but that's not something you'll really be concerned with until you're comfortable in the environment in general.

>Nothing should depend on init 1
Why?

wow, how did you make that your tripcode is a word? looks pretty cool to be honest

Take a look at the referenced website

Wasting hundreds of hours crunching hashes

forgot to ask: do these chinese(?) characters have a deeper meaning?

Website is biased.
I was asking why you believed the pid 1 is bad bullshit.

>biased
No shit, but it presents actual instances and encounters with the systemd dev team and more so poettering.

Why would you have say gnome depend on an init system?
Thats asinine

>"After udev is merged into the systemd tree you can still build it for usage outside of systemd systems, and we will support these builds officially. In fact, we will be supporting this for a long time"
">...this will effectively also mean that we will not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call."

article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/17392
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html

Ever heard of reddit? Its a nice website for people who live circlejerking and identity.

Just posted his video because I thought it would be helpful for user. If I was Luke I wouldn't be stupid enough to self-promote, something that your miniscule sees-1-step-into-the-future mind can't comprehend.

>I already know everything, don't show me a different pov, I know its wrong!
lel

>replying to bait

>baiting tripfag appears
>gets tons of replies
why

Or you could just avoid the question about pid 1 and spout more dependency bullshit.

Dependencies are not inherently bad and neither is pid 1, its dogmatic anti-systemd drivel.

Because Sup Forums is infested by a swarm of newfag redditors.

You didnt read what i posted or what I linked.
Come back when you do

It isn't that I didn't read what you wrote or linked, your opinions are just fucking retarded brainless bandwagon shit and when someone points that out you ignore them.

You can argue specific points and cite people all butthurt about how they think systemd should work but the fact is being pid 1 isn't bad, neither is dependency on systemd.

Come back when you do

Systemd is not an init system. It's an alternative to diversity and flexibility.

>You can argue specific points
Called it.
Come back when you can correlate your broad patently false dogmatic statements with actual reasoning.

Come back when you do

>your opinions are wrong
>my opinions are right
>lets debate!
gtfo troll

Believing that pid 1 or dependencies is bad is stupid and you could equate it with believing that Linux is bad for controlling pid one and all linux software is bad for depending on Linux.

It isn't a debate, its common sense to be able to see when someone is being deliberately ignorant.

For anyone who is interested what the systemd fuzz is about, watch this Devuan presentation talk. It explains, without any NSA, botnet, poettering is gay etc. memes the real problematic with systemd youtube.com/watch?v=wMvyOGawNwo

It only takes three commands to install gentoo.

That's how the ThinkPad trackpoint interface was designed to work. That's how every trackpoint interface works.

Libinput appears to work like this by default.

Your system is entirely determined by the config files. When you're installing it you're running off the tools on the CD.

You create the config files (there is a tool that automatically generates a basic config but you are advised to go through and edit it to your liking) and once you're satisfied you start the installation which completely builds the system according to your specifications.

>How much does it install at the start? Does it install a DE by default? What default settings does it use? How do you get it to remove shit you might not want?
The closest thing it has to a default DE (in NixOS, I haven't tried GuixSD) is that the auto-generated config file adds some KDE stuff. But like I said, you're encouraged to edit it, so if you just remove those lines and add your preferred DE/WM before you actually install the OS then none of the KDE stuff will ever get installed.

It does have default settings of course because it's a declarative system and everything has to be defined. So if a particular option is a boolean then it has to have an initial True/False value.
Most of the options are set to blank (e.g. either a blank string, a blank list, or set to False) and you enable or add to them what you want.
There are some cases where things default to True but they're usually very basic essentials, and if you don't like it you can just set them to False.

You remove stuff you don't want by removing/disabling it in your config files and rebuilding the system.
NOTE: Although this technically completely removes the software from your environment they are still preserved inside the "store" so you can easily rollback changes.
When you decide you actually want all old unused packages deleted you just run the garbage collector.

systemd hate is a slippery slope to self depreciation.

Do we manually need to force ffmpeg to use multiple threads? I was encoding a mp3 to opus and it was holding 1 core (out of 4) at 100%. Is the libopus encoder just shit because a few days ago I was encoding avishit to h264 and it used all 4 cores at close to max, I was impressed

>I was encoding a mp3 to opus
wtf are you doing, leave it like it is
you convert lossless to lossy
not lossy to lossless
not lossy to lossy

The problem with systemd is not what a lot of people (including the person you are talking to) complain about. Dependencies are a stupid measure because FreeDesktop maintains udev which fucking everything depends on anyway.

The real threat systemd poses is that they are slowly providing more and more DBus APIs for core system functionality. Getting the time, setting up a process limit, setting the hostname, authenticating a user, etc. They're all becoming DBus services rather than library functions. And systemd does exert a lot of pressure on you to use them (by breaking the traditional methods when you use systemd). Not to mention that systemd does a lot of these things worse than the traditional methods, but even if they did them well it would be an issue.

This result is that a lot of programs now depend on systemd's suite of DBus services, which are unlikely to ever be replaced. Which then locks everyone into a systemd system because all of the useful programs depend on it. kdbus was an extension to this idea, that thankfully was blocked from the kernel (there's a much better IPC proposal called bus1).

That's the issue with systemd. The configuration format or package dependencies are superficial arguments made by people who don't understand what the problems are.

dbus is just a communication API.

It's important that you understand computing.
How does it feel to be retarded? Honest question. Because you have to be really retarded to keep repeating those memes and myths on a technology related forum. Do you not realize how high the likelihood is for people to see through your bullshit?
I understand that it probably works in the daycare where you spend most of your time, but anyone with a brain on here will call you out on your retardation.

Gentoo or Parabola?

guixsd

Can you explain what the problem in that picture is that you posted? I assume you have low and high level networking expertise, because you seem to make claims. Surely you can back them up.

Oh, also one noteworthy piece of software that is on all NixOS installs is systemd. Currently you cannot change that.

However, that's not a failure of the package manager it's just that they don't offer any alternatives at the moment inside their repositories.
But if they ever do offer an alternative to systemd (which some people might already be working on) then basically all you'd have to do is something like:
systemd.enable = false;
.enable = true;
in your config file, rebuild the system, and you'd have a completely pristine machine running off the new one as if systemd was never installed on your system at all. There should be no side effects from the switch whatsoever, and that's what makes declarative systems so cool.

No, it doesn't. There are options exposed through the X driver and you can toggle them and it most likely depends on which features a device supports.