I've tried Vim and Sublime and I dislike both

I've tried Vim and Sublime and I dislike both.
I'm looking for an editor that looks decent without me having to tweak everything, can be used for large projects (but isn't as bloated as an IDE), and supports a mouse mode. I mostly program in Python, C, C++.
Would you say emacs/spacemacs is worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

atom.io/
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/16131
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/28344
github.com/caisah/emacs.dz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Geany?

vscode

I like spacemacs myself

Literally this It free open source so no botnet

>javascript code editior made by MS that periodically phones home
>not botnet

>it's open source it can't be botnet

you're a retard.

>delete[] & a[low]
>double pointers in C++
yup he's retarded

It's not C++

you can't dislike vim :o

try it 1 month and use many plugins and you will see this is the best!

Is it good? It seems that nobody actually uses it.
>emacs on the taskbar
Did you download it separately from the one that is available out of the box on the mac OS terminal?
How steep is the learning curve?
Something that bothered me with vim was that it really wasn't optimized for the mouse (which is completely understandable of course) and sometimes I don't want to bother with keybinds and just want to copy, paste or delete stuff with the mouse.

Atom

/thread

the macos default emacs is outdated
i installed mine with brew by compiling with source and doing brew linkapps

ooh is that an imageboard software?

>redis client in a package-level global variable, probably panics in init() if the setup fails
>uses functions that operate on global variables instead of using methods on something that encapsulates dependencies / state
>seeds a PRNG every time a random number is generated
>calls someone a retard while posting this code
Please.

also the learning curve isn't as steep as vim
you just need an emacs guru to point you to the right stuff

second!
atom.io/

this except I don't use plugins so I'm not gonna recommend them

Slow as shit.

>Running a texteditor in a browser

Vimfag here, dunno why you want a mouse. I can copy/paste faster in Vim than you can in an IDE with a mouse, and my fingers don't have to leave home row throughout a full day of coding. I don't even use plugins, just a vimrc file that I made myself by reading the manual.

My first boss out of college told me:
"Try Vim. You will hate it for about a month, then you will get used to it and be able to use it for another month. And by the third month you won't be able to live without it"

He was right. Same goes for emacs or for any other decent editor. They increase performance of the user by using shortcuts. If you could already use these shortcuts in some other editor, you wouldn't be here, and if you could use them without a specific editor, you also wouldn't be here.

Gotta crawl before you can run.

Spacemacs can be good if you work with big projects but it feels really boated compared to vim.

Well I just uninstalled the outdated emacs and installed a new version, though I was unable to delete all the emacs files in /usr/bin and /usr/share so I don't know if there are going to be any fucked dependencies or whatever.
Where do I find an emacs guru to point me to the right stuff?
Right now I have spacemacs launched and it seems much more complicated than vim. At least vimtutor made things much easier.
>dunno why you want a mouse
I just find it convenient. You're probably right that keyboard editing becomes faster once you're used to it though.

github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/16131

Which config of spacemacs should I be using? Spacemacs or spacemacs-base? Helm or Ivy?

What's the point of using spacemacs over vanilla emacs?

Starting with Emacs base and building your own text editor is the best way to go

Isn't spacemacs just emacs with vim functionalities?

Kdevelop is god tier OP trust me. Don’t go with pajeet tier vscode or atom. Those are only editors anyway. Get something that conpiles too

Emacs is about making use of the editor's built in features and extensions you can easily get. It's about learning as you go.
>Well I just uninstalled the outdated emacs and installed a new version, though I was unable to delete all the emacs files in /usr/bin and /usr/share so I don't know if there are going to be any fucked dependencies or whatever.
You, uh, probably shouldn't mess with any built in MacOS libraries. You don't need to anyway, if you have the new version installed locally your OS shouldn't use the old one if your path is set correctly. Which Homebrew hopefully does.

That's Evil-mode. Spacemacs is meant to be OOTB.

>delete[] &

It's fine for me (when it has finished initial startup)

>You, uh, probably shouldn't mess with any built in MacOS libraries
Well fuck I'm retarded. Even as root though I was denied access when I tried to delete the files, so hopefully I didn't break anything. Is there a way to check?

Anyone?

SJW botnet

>"telemetry.enableCrashReporter": false
>"telemetry.enableTelemetry": false
>"update.channel": "none"
woah, that was hard

Try opening multiple projects/folders in one window. In atom it's easy, what about VS Shit?

I agree, at first I was like who uses this shit for anything productive ? Too much hassle to do basic shit, where is my debug screen, where are my breakpoints etc etc, after a few tweaks and plugins and a few weeks of actually using it i just fell in love with it.

>Which config of spacemacs should I be using?
Use plain emacs & read the mans
>Helm or Ivy
Helm's nice & probably has more features and plugins

no clue, never needed to use it so haven't tried it

tho looking at their github it seems they have implemented it, currently only insider though?

github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/28344

not that you should switch to vscode either way if you're happy with what you have

Isn't it more convenient to use emacs for larger projects? vi/vim strikes me as the kind of program sysadmins use on ssh or for basic scripting mostly, but not really something that can be made into an ide.

Textwrangler

What did you delete exactly?

I tried to sudo rm /usr/bin/emacs and /usr/share/emacs I think I was denied access for most, if not all, files. Maybe some files were deleted though but I don't know which exactly.

Not mine. Took it from google images since I'm on my tablet.

Emacs takes like five seconds to start up, use vim.

DO NOT USE SPACEMACS

ITS SO BLOATED AND SLOW A NIGGER GETS THE JOB DONE FIRST

SIMPLY LEARN TO CONFIGURE EMACS AND ADD THE PLUGINS YOU WANT

But emacs will be just as slow if you install the plugins and configure it yourself.

>add the plugins you want

What if I want it to look like spacemacs?

add the theme and spaceline plugins

>looks decent without me having to tweak everything
Try textmate for macos
it just werks™

What is it that makes spacemacs bloated then?

the huge amount of stupid shit it comes with that you do not need

try geany, it only requires configuration if you use anything outside of standard libraries.

You can just install Ivy instead of Helm then
And there's a more lightweight option in the installer as well

helm isn't even the biggest hiccup

spacemacs has its own retarded layering system on top of all of emacs bullshit, if you spend a day listing the packages you actually need you'll end up with a much faster and efficient editor

emacs isn't meant to be used by retards / noobs even though spacemacs tries its best, I've been usint pic related for years now, fast as fuck and doesn't take 15 seconds to load

Is there a list of the packages spacemacs uses on top of default emacs? If I can select them individually then that's better, but they're not on their github or their website. I really just want it to look the same, I'm fine with the default emacs functions otherwise and I don't need evil.

> Running a texteditor in a lisp machine

>go
>xd
is that the i2p torrent client?

Just look through the Spacemacs code. It's fucking huge, so it'll take you a day or two.

Simply search for a good Emacs config

github.com/caisah/emacs.dz

and pick the bits you like.

>Just look through the Spacemacs code
Dude that's tedious as fuck. I don't even know elisp.

I know. Want to know my Emacs config?

(tool-bar-mode -1)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)
(setq inhibit-startup-message t
initial-scratch-message nil)

That's it?
If you're worried about bloat, do you also go out of your way to remove unnecessary features (like the games for example) or is that not needed?

brackets

>Python, C, C++
consider eclipse for c/c++

The games are just elisp files in its directory; they're not a 'part of Emacs' itself.

You could spend a lifetime tinkering with Emacs, but there comes a point in your life where you just say 'fuck it', wipe your .emacs file.

It's just not worth the effort.

There is a difference between adding shit to your main process loop and having a game stored somewhere.

No offense but you sound dense as fuck, you are not ready to tinker with emacs.

Well, emacs seems much more complex than vim and I'd like to learn more.

> without me having to tweak everything, > but isn't as bloated as an IDE

I wouldn't recommend emacs or spacemacs.

helm is most likely one of the biggest culprits

seriously fuck the emacs team for not adding multiple threads into emacs

Helm isn't required, you can just use Ivy

>delete[]
what the fuck is this shit user?

Emacs is bloated.
Vim vanillar works.

Vim is heavier than emacs

This. I like my Emacs very much though, even considering I haven't tweaked it much (yet).

Emacs isn't as bloated as an IDE.

>wants an editor to """""jus twerk""""" without needing to tweak anything
>thinks about emacs
boi, are you in for a rude awakening?

To be fair, spacemacs works out of the box just fine.
Normal emacs kinda does too, it just looks like shit. It even has syntax highlighting enabled by default though.

If your going to spend the majority of your working life on a piece of software why woulden't you want to spend a week tweeking it to get it to exactly fit your needs.

Visual Studio Code. Open source, lightweight, feature rich, community driven, and all around awesome.

>Would you say emacs/spacemacs is worth it?

Yes it is. Especially once you start using org-mode. That is a huge rabbit hole and it's absolutely worth it.

spacemacs is really well thought, and its easy to get used to it (meaningful shortcuts, easy to search help etc), but it really feels like there is 90% of the features I'll never use.
But imo its totally worth it, and if you realize that you only use 10% of spaceemacs like me, it may be worth making your own emacs conf with those features. There is some really neat stuff like auto package install based on filetype, evil, shortcut system with space as leaderkey, etc

I'm too brainlet for spacemac/emacs because the user experience is terrible, you need to learn many things to use emacs/spacemac.
With vim, you can use vimtutor and you can start coding.

You're just lazy.
Also, emacs can act like an IDE more easily than vim

Fuck yes. Started using org mode about two weeks ago. So many possibilities.

I like geany, it's worth a try

For me, it's the ease of creating Beamer presentations, complete with perfectly formatted maths, chemical equations, and graphs/tables simply by exporting an org file. Marvellous.

I don't feel any difference between opening spacemacs and eclipse. Don't get me wrong, I like emacs and spacemacs, they are just heavy applications imho.

>lightweight
>requires an additional browser installed

Vim requires an operating system, such bloat

I don't get it
I installed spacemacs and it's just as resource intensive and bloated as something like Visual Studio Code, more so than Sublime Text
I thought this was supposed to be better?

I like Atom but they really need to work on speed. I'll open a 500 line file and it'll literally take 10-15 seconds. It can't handle long files either without it slowing down to molasses.

Not an argument

>but isn't as bloated as an IDE
IntelliJ literally has the fastest text rendering speed.
Just ignore the extra features.

I can use vim in any other IDE though. I use vsvim every day for work.

Try all of them for a week each. You'll waste more time and energy trying to care about other people's opinions.

Oh, and by the way, I want you to care about *my* opinion.

Solidity IDE (Ethereum)

nobody mentioned jetbrains products

m$ botnet tho