Gaming and Linux

I'm looking to finally leave windows(cause muh privacy) but there just isn't as good performance with linux and gaming. also less games are supported on linux.
are there any good options?

Other urls found in this thread:

ghostbin.com/paste/o5j5s
ghostbin.com/paste/cdugn
kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers#Direct_download
ghostbin.com/paste/57s9g
gpuopen.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>worried about privacy

>broadcasting the entire planet that he's going to stop using Windows

You can play games of linux if you want to, the "no games" meme means that not all games run on linux.
But if you are capable of using another OS, you are capable of playing different games.

Buy a PS4

Just virtualize windows. You pay a toll in computing power, but your privacy is more secure, and you can still play moderately complex windows-only games.

nice meme.

>there just isn't as good performance with linux and gaming
What. Gaming PERFORMANCE is rarely an issue. Even when run with Wine, most games(assuming you can get them to run) will actually perform better on Linux.

Yes.

1) ignore the windows exclusive games. Pretend that they don't exist. If you really want a game to run on Linux make a petition or request the company to make it possible. But still don't buy that shit until it's properly released on Linux and not just ported with WINE.

2) WINE. A lot of games that are "linux supported" are mere wine ports and that's why their performance sucks (example; rocket league, terraria). There's no reason you shouldn't use WINE for your games yourself. This will result in a 20-50% worse than native performance though, depending on the game. But there are many ways to improve the performance.

3) KVM. If your hardware is good enough place windows in a virtual machine, pass the GPU to it, and enjoy less than 10% performance loss. The requirements are quite expensive for this so do your own research here. Although, in my opinion, dualbooting is better and much less of a hassle.

4) dual boot only to play PIRATED games, or games you can't run normally on Linux that you already own. Never pay for a windows exclusive game and always buy Linux games if you can afford it. As for privacy here, well you definitely lose your privacy if you play steam games anyway. Just use your router to block Microsoft's domains (and ads, while we're here) and do absolutely nothing but game on windows. Browsing, watching videos, communicating (outside steam/discord) and everything else should be done on Linux.

Best way to get devs to work on Linux is to make your voice heard so they know there's a demand and that they'll get some profit for porting stuff to it. You can also shill Linux to your friends/family/anons to increase it's user size.

Currently;
23% steam,
36% good old games,
35% humble bundle
-games have Linux support. Over 3500 games are already available to you, and many more if you include emulators and browser games.

If you ever want more games then get a console.

Have fun!

Holy fuck actual good advice on the 4chans

DOOM isn't most games, it is just one game.

Closed source proprietary games DO NOT respect your FREEDOM or PRIVACY and you should compromise by not playing or buying them.

Use GNU/Linux and only Free/OpenSource games.

When it happens it's the best

We have this exact thread multiple times daily. It's bait at this point.

Hearthstone is the only game I play aside from emulators, I thought it would be easy for blizzard to port it since it's made in unity

So what are some games that perform worse?

This. Why would u want the latest AAA release when we already have tux racer?

Isn't this a legit option? You get a hassle-free gaming experience for a low price and your privacy is not in danger because you can do most of your computing under GNU/Linux.

Doesn't it stay own and connected to the internet at all times tho?

Metro Last Light performed horribly for me when I played it on Linux with my GTX 970.

Blizzard is against Linux desktops. They partnered with Microsoft, which is why I avoid blizzard games. They literally started banning people for using WINE to play blizzard's games.
Why not play it on your phone anyways? It's always with you then.

Rocket League and Killing Floor perform much worse. These are ported to Linux officially by the devs, using WINE.

NO TUX

NO BUX

passthrough

Probably not worth switching if you're playing social games not available for Linux, like Overwatch with friends. If you aren't, then there are more than enough good games on linux to entertain.

Wasn't overwatch shown to be playable on wine?

Runnable, yes, maybe even playable on some cards and configurations...

>They literally started banning people for using WINE to play blizzard's games.
Stop spouting lies. Noone's been banned merely for using Wine to play their games. The closest you get is people getting banned for cheating in their games, and then immediately assuming their ban is due to them using Wine, which it isn't.

GPU Passtrough with Windows VM for Linux Games and Linux VM for Linux Games

Also Linux has good native supported Games on Steam

doh, ment of course Windows VM for Windows games and Linux VM for Linux Games. Was a typo

underrated post

only if you can leave it without internet connection, if not then PS3.
i play mostly old games wich run perfectly under linux with wine, there are some rare exceptions though, like for example age of empires 3 is kinda tricky getting it to work with wine.

you can always download a iso image of a distro you think you'll like and put it into a usb to test it from the usb without having to format the hard drive

Very fucking interested. I guess you use efi? Do you have to have 2 monitors? Do you use virt manager?

The good option is to have two (or more) machines. Windows for gaymur and other non important windows stuff and linux for privacy

it really doesn't matter what your host uses. you need 2 conditions to be givon:
A CPU which supports Vt-d / iommu
and 2 Graphic cards (for best experience)

There's a bunch of tutorials out there, including G wiki. I pasted a guide here: ghostbin.com/paste/o5j5s

as you can see in this guide I use just QEMU for my VM

you can ether use 1 monitor and plugin 2 cables (one at each graphic card and simply switch sources) or do it like me and buy a DVI / USB KVM switch with PCI USB Card passed trough the VM and just press buttons to switch Keyboard/ mouse and Monitor independent of each other.

I stepped up that game and have now my integrated graphics with 2 monitors attached, an old readon 5xxx which 1 Monitor and a TV attached. Both Graphic Cards are used at the same time by the Host OS. My GTX 980ti is dedicated for gaming. It has my Main Monitor (via KVM switch) and my TV attached to it. On my TV I just switch via HDMI sources.

I hope you're still around to see this. my Setup works quite well. If wished pics follow (I'll have to do a little cleanup first)

Dual-booting is the only option.

Yeah I'm here. I have a 6600k, a rx480, and an old gt730. I'm thinking I'll just stick with the igpu, and rx480 unless you think it'll be easier some other way. I tried virt-manager, but I need an efi stub, and I didn't do that because it fucks with my windows drives. So I'll try it your way next, I suppose. Or install some other Linux with efi on another disk- on Manjaro now. So stupid question, forgive me, but do you run your igpu as your main or primary graphics, then it switches over to your 980 when under vm?

this is my startscript for my Windows VM, I portforwarded the RDP Port to localhost an just connect via Remmina to localhost:3389 to have my Windows VM's RDP displayed on my Linux host
ghostbin.com/paste/cdugn

>Blizzard is against Linux desktops. They partnered with Microsoft, which is why I avoid blizzard games. They literally started banning people for using WINE to play blizzard's games.

They banned a few people and proceeded to unban them and issue an apology for their anti cheat going off on linux users.

stop talking bullshit
I did that with the exact same CPU just stick to the guide I posted and take my startscript for use

in pastebin links are broken so I'll post em here:
kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers#Direct_download
you will have to bind the VirtIO ISO in your VM and install the disk driver located ad that virtIO ISO, it'll appear on your windows installation as a CD. Also use Windows 10 for your VM, it'll prevent you fron further tweaking

this is a final paste to hold all the Links I posted: ghostbin.com/paste/57s9g

and don't use a 3rd Graphic card unless you need more than 3 Monitores

Unless you have an unsupported amd gpu.

you need a GPU with UEFI, with is literally any GPU that's worth playing games on it

Danke, ich versuche es an diesem Wochenende. Setzen Sie sich nie und setzen Sie sich in die harte Arbeit, aber Sie haben viel getan.

hehe danke

>blizzard fanboys on damage control

Blizzard sure knows how to create kids that will shit their pants in order to defend them.

I have r9 m265x on my laptop and there is no driver support. I installed some amd drivers that some people said that works. Fglrx and catalyst (an ancient version) was working but the performance was absolutely trash. I also contact the mint support and they told me that it's amds responsibility and there is no other solution. I'm all ears if someone has a solution.

>GNUmales on damage control

Stallman sure knows how to create kids who will shit their pants in order to defend his shitty OS and philosophy.

are you talking about doing that in a GPU passtrough or directly under linux?

Under Linux.

I don't care about that fat bird fucker, nor his communist "philosophy". But yeah, you're right gnumales are as bad as blizzard fanboys.

Thanks for proving my point by the way.

I forgot to add, Stallman isn't nearly as good as blizzard creating fanboys, that company makes an art out of it.

did you try the mesa(freetard) drivers? fglrx is propriatary, btw.

seems that's more a problem of AMD not caring for the support of their cards within a Linux environment.
That's why I went with a Nvidia GPU in the first place. It's common knowledge AMD does not a good job on releasing drivers vor linux. When Ryzen was around the corner everyone was speculating about they might went opensource on their products but it never came to that. This plus an incredibly bad job with their drivers.

Thank AMD for that

good thing is that mining happend mostly under linux and newer AMD GPUs will have to be supported by linux in order to succeed

gpuopen.com/
AMD went full freetard last year, and is throwing massive support behind free drivers. Say what you want about their past history, but AMD is fully behind Linux and free software.

well to late for this guy

both mesa and fglrx would run his gpu. fglrx is depreciated, so I'm wondering about his experiance with mesa, particularly mesa 17+, which brings massive performance increases. Sadly, he died and will not respond.

I just checked that and i'm trying to find out how to install them.

As i said fglrx didnt work on my card and about my experience with mesa is about 0.

don't missunderstand me, I will go fully team red if my GTX 980ti is too old to do it's job. and AMD driver situation has changed it's situation. I've also not forgotten the big fuck you that tovalds gave Nvidia (pic related) I'd love to see AMD release it's drivers to Opensource community would be a big win for the community

>muh privacy
>games

Choose one

I'd probably go to bed, I'm already awake since 30hrs ... cant spell anymore
but since when do real discussions happen here on Sup Forums I CANT MISS THAT

Jesus Christo, Mint fucking sucks. Allright, go to your software shit thing, and check the "open source drivers" and it's a level 4 """"""unsafe"""""" so you will have to fuck with that as well. Want some advice? Burn a manjaro live usb. It will ask you at startup if you want freetard or closed drivers. Pick freetard and try it out. Then pick closed if mesa dosen't work. Fuck Ubuntu, and fuck ppa's, fuck the utter hassle these "friendly" distros are.

I'd choose Antergos at every time over manjaro. My Antergos installation (GNOME) survived 2 Manjaro installations of my buddy with GNOME as well

As I said before, AMD went full freetard and is putting all it's weight behind free drivers. Even Vega is better on free drivers, and even more and more AMD code is scheduled for the kernel this year. It's totally getting better.

seems id didn't followed the news like I'd should have. My last AMD GPU was a Readon 3XXX on a Thinkpad x121e

My Nigga.
Root ZFS represent.

Although you really had to fuck with it to make it work properly on updates with a ZFS root, seems most of that's been fixed now.
I still take snapshots and rsync my /boot, just in case though.

And as always, a Antergosfag appears. I'm super happy you love antergos, I am. I've used this distro for about a year and a half, no issues, really. What I liked is you can choose drivers at install super easy, so that mobilefag can see what works without the hassle of the Ubuntu derivitives. It's fucking insane how complicated doing shit on Ubuntu is, like changing drivers and installing software. All I'm reccomeding Manjaro live cd is to try mesa or the pro drivers.

just wanted to share my experiences, no offense sweetheart

k bby. Ill try it out in a vm real quick.

There's nothing wrong with Manjaro. It's user friendly and has a lot of features. I haven't tried Antergos but I can't think of anything it would have that Manjaro wouldn't. I'm hoping Manjaro would replace Mint as the first choise for desktop users.

to be fair, I recommendet Manjaro to my bud as babbys first linux, maybe he just broke it

>are there any good options?
Grow up, learn programming and get a job.

maybe learning the GNU/Linux way is just the doorstep towards it

Yeah, you can't choose freetard vs pro drivers like in Manjaro at startup. They probally use mesa, but who knows. Ill keep digging.

I still trying mesa drivers, but network decided that it's not time to work properly. Grrrr

if you get stuck try irc on
irc.freenode.net

ether
#manjaro
or if you'd decide to do so
#antergos

I'll have to get finally some sleep as I'm longer than 30h awake.
good night, good fight

Total War games also have some issues with Linux, with Atilla being pretty bad, but so far I find it bearable, still I couldn't have asked for anything more, a before SteamOS came in you would have had a very tiny selection of games, and it's getting better, and I'm not complaining.

Rocket League is under WINE?

you're right, see my steam libary all Linux native games

Thanks a lot mate. Have a good night.