/pcbg/ - PC Bulding General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega NOW.

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/C3cVpb
pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15
pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4
pcpartpicker.com/list/2WJPr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/kw8msJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Should change OP

>Vega NEVER

It has its place if you use freesync or need more compute than the 10-series offers at those prices. Also undervolting seems to be pretty effective at keeping the power draw more reasonable without much FPS drop.

So i7s are a complete meme now and Ryzens are the new hot thang even though they have somewhat worse gaymen performance albeit at a much lesser price? I have a 4790K and the 7700K actually performs slightly WORSE. Sees like there's no reason for me to swap to a newer CPU/Mobo and DDR4.

Yup. i7's are now almost completely useless because Ryzen was such a huge step forward. Intel will continue trying to compete by making a bigger chip, but they won't truly be able to compete.

7700K won't be worse than a 4790K at the same clocks unless something is fucked up. But I would just wait for Coffee Lake if I were you.

Never built a PC, what do I change?
pcpartpicker.com/list/C3cVpb

Is there a pre-established build under $600? Every one I see that used to be under 600 or at least claims to have been is upwards of 650 if not 700. Are there any good builds for gaming that are cheap?

what are you trying to do? You have a mish-mash of performance and budget parts and neither of those will be achieved with what you have

what does "Vega NOW" mean ?

Play some gayms for under 2k, also workspace

I saw benches somewhere and the 7700K was ever so slightly worse, but I need to check the clocks again. 4790K is 4.0 GHz stock and 7700K is 4.2 GHz stock, possibly counting boost.

It sure as hell isn't worth to upgrade the CPU over GPU though. Might just wait till Zen 2 or Covfefe Lake.

Shit sucks because I want a new GPU but miners are raping prices and Vega is well... Vega.

Have you looked at the logical increments meme?

Problem is GPUs right now due to miners. What exactly do you need out of a $600 build? Are you willing to use a used prebuilt or do you want everything new?

I want to buy a vega 56

1) Not a meme: Drop your misconceptions and "consider" a Ryzen build.
2) Do not spend that much on a case.
3) Discard the idea that higher cost = more performance. It does not apply to every component, and when it does, not in the same way.
4) Pirate windows and/or find a cheap stolen key. Reinvest that costs elsewhere or pocket.

>i've been stuck with lga 775 pentium shit-tier build since 2010
>when i finally want to upgrade all prices are inflated and there are no gpus
who else /regretful/ here?

Means vega is out NOW.

But not really though because it's sold out fucking everywhere + prices are inflated as fuck.

upgrade everything but the gpu for now.

I just want to be able to play Europa Universalis 4 at an acceptable/stable framerate. Ideally on the top speed. Anything above 10fps. And I don't particularly mind prebuilt or used components I just can't really go too much over around 500-600.

i'm leaving current pc for my brother. i'd buy a pc now but ryzen has no iGPU and i cant be bothered with buying another gpu just to have my pc boot

Im building a ryzen5 1600. Whats the fastest memory to get?

Don't most mobos have integrated shit?

3200 mhz. Looks for Samsung B-die ram. Ryzen loves it.
Like G.Skill Trident Z. Or G.Skill Flare X that was designed specifically for Ryzen

if you're buying intel, wait for coffee lake. If you want a PC now, get Ryzen instead (it'll save money too)
If you know you need 32gb of RAM, go ahead, but odds are you don't
It's hard to see your build as it is needing water cooling, but if you want it, go 'head cuz
>paying for software
Put all the money you save toward a better GPU. Considering the state of the GPU market, I'd just get a 1080ti if I had your budget.
Your splurging on a case but if you really want that one, don't let me stop you. It's just overindulgent is all

I've been out of the loop.
Why are RAM prices almost twice as high compared to last year?

for an exhaust fan with corsair carbide 400c, am I better off with 2 120mms or 1 140mm up top? (holds up to 2 140's or 3 120's)

I got this -
pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15
on sale today @ newegg for my 1600 build.

re-asking my question itt:

so now that Vega is basically not a good option all things considered and that board partner cards are confirmed to be non-existent, is it still worth getting a freesync monitor for a 1070? realistically, how much worse is it when playing without variable sync vs with variable sync on a 1440p 144hz monitor?

not graphic cards

Mobile markets are straining the supply of DDR4 in general which affects desktop RAM prices. Same thing for SSDs but not as bad there

so give your brother the skeleton and let him buy a 1050ti himself? you're already giving him something, he'd have to be a fucking faggot to be ungrateful

Integrated audio or wifi maybe but not integrated graphics.

Smartphones are starting to use ddr4 memory and the supply can't keep up so prices are increasing.

Best value AM4 board right now?

For a dumbass that knows jack shit exept what part is what. Why is it not important to catch up to date if I want to learn hardware?

I'm pretty sure you don't need a GPU to get video output from your mobo.

Vega 56 AIB exists and reviews already show reference Vega 56 beating 1070s

How about 3600 mhz?

depends on if you want positive pressure (more intake) or negative (more exhaust)

check your fan CFMs, which is how much air they can move.

140mms can spin slower and move more air quieter

Harder to hit but definitely possible with certain boards and kits.

pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4

or spend a little more for the tomahawk

That's if your processor has integrated graphics on it.

Ryzen's don't have an iGPU and mobos with those built-in ports are for passthroughs from CPUs with them like Athlons on the AM4 socket.

A dedicated GPU is required for Ryzen, currently.

if you really need integrated graphics and don't want to buy a gpu, just get a used 4790k or 6700k and be done with it

i don't want any damage control. we all know vega isn't that good when everything is considered from power usage to board partners saying there are no custom cooled cards coming anytime soon (source hardware unboxed). i'm already set on the gtx 1070 but my real question was related to the general experience on a high fps monitor without adaptive sync tech

also european pricing has vega wayy to overpriced even compared to the 1070 which is barely available as it is

meant to quote

That's pretty shitty. You could just buy a shitty $30 gpu for the time being though.

To be fair unless you're putting it up against a poverty build (the Pentiums with iGPUs) you'll probably want a dedicated anyway.

Thanks user.

I see a Gskill ripclaw v series (2x8gb) 3200 for $145. Is it worth it?

Thanks user.

he's older than me and broke. i actually have some saved money, meanwhile he failed a year in HS due to LoL addiction and frequently plays 40h+. plus he also stole shitload of money from me (still i didn't get everything back).

why the fuck would you give him a computer then?

Ripjaws and TridentZ seem to have high success rates from what I've seen on OC forums so broadly speaking I would say yes it's probably worth it. What CAS latency is that rated at 3200?

16-18-18-38 good enough?

literally google

Is 1080 or 1080ti worth it over 1070?

Yeah that's fine

At 1080p not really except in a few very demanding titles. At 1440p or higher yes it is worth it.

What is the normal price for an AIB rx 580? $250? Going to wait for prices. If I wait long enough maybe things will get better.

we're sharing it. we bought it using our money in ~2009 (still the same specs since then).

if you get an unlocked processer do you NEED the highest end OC mobo to utilize the default clock range the CPU has (which is usually about .5~ ghz over the non unlocked version)

No

Thanks.

Are there any AM4 boards without "gamer" styling?

Just buy a case without a window

r8 my build

pcpartpicker.com/list/2WJPr7

24 or 27 inches?

>$180 for DDR2
why would you even

24 for 1080p
27 for 1440p

I'm getting a free 5 grand from school for being a good boy so I figured I'd spend a lil extra on a case
Considering how much I've spent in other shit 200 is nothing

In theory yes, but that assumes you have a monitor and keyboard.

To get a decent set of those will cost you at least 300, and that 300 usually isn't included in the build price.

will it run AAA at 1080p

What is the THICCest GPU I can get?

If I decided to go the Ryzen option what else should I switch?

The motherboard, the cooler (specifically the bracket to connect it).

>pcpartpicker.com/list/C3cVpb

pcpartpicker.com/list/kw8msJ

obviously the MoBo, and Ryzen benefits especially from faster RAM, so you might as well bump up to 3200mhz.

I have a monitor & keyboard/mouse already that I tend to use with my laptop. Even with those though everything I find tends to be higher than originally stated. Though I suppose I may just have to wait and hope shit lowers in price.

How does Ryzen actually do with emulation and specifically real Dolphin games not that shitty benchmark. I don't want to switch from my i5 if half of my emulated games drop to 20FPS or worse.

It runs everything well that I've tried including Last Story and Metroid Prime. That benchmark is basically useless if it's the same one I saw on the forums.

If you have a case with a PSU/drive bay shroud and a bunch of space to stick the extra cables, does a non-modular PSU matter?

modular psu is literally for 'muh aesthic' only. it doesn't impact airflow in the slightest.

>Last Story
Sounds pretty good. I was only able to run it at stable 30 after using ubershaders stuff in the newest build.

Is there a tool to edit the bios on video cards to hard code clock/voltage settings?

Yeah I'm using ubershaders too, helps a lot.

Vega is fucking trash.

24/7 load doesn't happen unless you're mining. My fucking gaming life is mostly shitposting and playing games that don't even get my 390 to 50% load.

I know I have to update the bios on for my new build, so that the RAM will reach it's full potential.

When should I be updating the bios?
Should I do it on my first initial boot before I install my OS? Or do I do it after I've got everything up and running?

is Xeon E3-1231v3 good for a gtx 1080?

Mining is the only reason to buy an AMD GPU.

just flash it whenever. Might as well just do it as soon as you power on

Im still running a 2500k and Im thinking about upgrading soon since my motherboards broken audio processing is driving me insane and my case and fans are falling apart/breaking. Is now a good time or are there any neat new technologies on the horizon I should wait for? I use it for programming, games, and photoshop mainly, occasionally video editing, and I don't need a new gpu.

nvm actually. cant find a decently priced used one.
what xeon wont bottleneck a 1080?

Well yeah that's what I was thinking, so I didn't get it all working and then end up breaking something when trying to update. Guess I'll just do it before installing the OS.

Wait for Coffee Lake to give moar coarz at 5 GHz.

Kappa

>Intel literally cannot compete with AMD on price to performance
>Decide to take AMD'sold marketing tactic of MORE CORES!
>still bad value and less cores than AMD

great time to upgrade everything but gpu and RAM although you're gonna need ddr4 anyway and I don't see a /good/ time to buy RAM in the near future

you can flash it after too but some drivers often need to be reinstalled so it's probably just easiest to do it beforehand

>AMD is still on Sandy IPC and can't get past 4 GHz
>Intel will deliver a 6 core with high single core and annihilate the 1800x in gaymes
>literally still believing that moar corez means moar performance