GNOME will win the desktop war

Gnome 3.26 is being released soon, there have been numerous improvements, gnome vanilla will finally be usable.

Firefox is being ported to GTK3+ for greater integration,
Electron is also being ported

Shows over boys, pack your bags

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'll stick to xfce.

But does it have thumbnails in the file picker?

GNOME should freeze its development until they fix their gtk file chooser

>Electron is also being ported
Which probably means chromium is going to be gtk3 as well, right?

Call me when I don't have to install addons to control basic shit such as hiding bars.

It'll be good once based canonical slaps it into shape like they did with gnome2.

>Firefox is being ported to GTK3+
Why don't they just port it to qt5 so they can have a decent file picker?

and then the fucktards in charge of gnome decide to undo all of it

Shame, because KDE is the better DE.

>GTK filepicker still hasn't been improved

Qt file picker is worse than that of gtk, it's KDE file picker you are thinking about

>new gnome4 introduces groundbreaking features such as a huge flying penis to penetrate your eye, 4k window decoration to maximize pixel utilisation and your desktop becomes a constantly spinning cube so you can multitask in realtime.

Electron being ported to GTK3 depends solely on Chromium getting ported on GTK3 first

I thought chromium used their own homegrown toolkit now (which has fucked font rendering lol)

gtk4 probably

Joke's on you, I use KDE

sucks to be you, user

Electron is being ported? Elaborate please. I'm a huge GNOME fan and I haven't heard of this.

I just wish that GNOME's stock apps were responsive. GTK4 maybe? Responsive window snapping that allows more than two windows is coming, but a lot of programs are going to be useless if you make them too narrow. Lollypop is honestly the only program I can think of that scales its interface.

tfw Sup Forumsnome+wayland master race

tfw official Xorg team and oldest living contributors (going back 13 years) moved to wayland

tfw GTK+, SDL, Clutter, Qt5, EFL backends

tfw Xwayland backend for Xorg

>But does it have thumbnails in the file picker?
Nope, this simple request has gone ignored for over 5 years now. It's the power of freetards.

no thanks, ill stick to OSX since it just works out of the box and doesnt need tons of testing and customization

this thread is for people with elevated consciousness.

>Shows over boys, pack your bags
I'm gonna need a brisk rundown. What did he mean by this?

>5 years
you mean 15 right?

Will it win if it keeps compressing my wallpapers to shit?
Xfce is better for most things.

for me? it's gah-nome

openSUSE's Firefox uses KDE file picker

>No thumbnail

How do they track feature requests/bugs?
The amount of anons who have said this on Sup Forums without actually causing a ruckus on their issue tracker is fucking stupid 2bh.

There are bigger problems with GNOME though, like the amount of memory it uses for giving me less than Unity. And how does Wayland fit into all this? Will every prog need to be rewritten for Wayland?

How the fuck do you get gnome to look like that? Every time I've ever used gnome it has the stupid shit with the activities bar

>There are bigger problems with GNOME though
I was forced to use chromium instead of firefox because it use Kdialog out of the box

Did they fix the horrendous amount of lag caused by opening the overview? KDE can do the same even when running on a potato.

This also
The default layout is dogshit, why does some aspie distro like Solus end up looking better. I'm guessing that dude used a theme and gnome tweak tool.

>2004
LOL

We should start to upboat that issue instead of complaining here though.

This looks amazing!

You mean from snorting paste to snorting cut?

GNOME Shell will never be usable unless they completely rewrite it from scratch.
The performance issues are too deeply rooted to receive a proper fix otherwise.

There have been a lot of reports over the years, but the GNOME devs simply don't care because they just can't pull their heads out of their asses.

Here is the original report from 2004 that still receives somewhat active discussion even in 2017.
Someone even made a patch for it, but for whatever reason it was never integrated in the mainline GTK/GNOME builds.

Yeah, I'm thinking KDE is probably a better way to go at this point
Btw you guys should know that these threads are going to be happening way more than before thanks to Unity not being supported on the next LTS. People are confused about what to choose out of KDE and guhnome. I didn't like KDE when I tried it recently but it might be the best thing we have. I know we can just use 16.04 for another 5 years anyway. By that point we will probably have Ubuntu LTS with Budgie or Lxqt.

1. nigger, fuck your shit.
2. fuck your shit.
3. KDE is the best.
4. I got notifications out the wazoo.
5. KYS

yes, actually for quite some time now.

Vanilla Gnome is fucking trash. Unity was what Gnome 3 should have been.
>global menu
>window decorations merge into the top panel
>a dock on the side
It was really nice to use on laptops and smaller screens.

I'm hoping Ubuntu will at least port the global menu but that won't happen.
>muh client side decorations and giant padding
>simple and clean menu bars are for legacy applications ;)

Yeah, who needs more thumbnails than this?
Having grid of them would be bloat ;^)

>Electron is also being ported
into the trash it goes

/thread

Isn't there a global menu extension now?

How hard could it be to add thumbnail preview?

KDE is still a million times better

But there are patched versions of firefox available for pretty much all distros user.

It's not about it being hard, they simply choose not to.

fpbp

Is that non-riced? I'll admit it looks pretty good compared to other DEs out of the box, but I'll stick with i3.

No, you mean KDE has a million things of clutter.

That's a huge fuckin cursor

I will drink to that sir!

>Gnome 3.26
It will be absolute garbage, just like all the previous versions of GNOME.

This is a desktop from developers who refuse features and refuse to add features if they are deemed to be "too complicated" for someone who's barely able to open a door on their own.

It's also a desktop from people who are confused and think a desktop computer is a tablet or a mobile phone and they are designing the UI accordingly.

>ported to GTK3+
This isn't a good thing, not by a long-shot. Try this simple experiment yourself: press ctrl-o in any program that works with files to get the file-picker. Now type in the first few letters of the file you'd like to open. In GTK2+ based applications you get the file you want selected and now you can press Enter pick and open it. The same is true for KDE and every single sane file-picker out there. This will open a "global search" dialog in GTK3+. This is yet another bug they refuse to fix, the maintainers actually seem proud that it's broken.

It'll never get improved, they will make it even worse (if that's even possible).

*optional* clutter you don't have to enable.
KDE is all about choice.

That looks like shit. Why would you want that?

>How do they track feature requests/bugs?

The very sad thing is that it doesn't really matter when it comes to GNOME. There's a whole lot of bugs that aren't fixed and never will be because of "politics". You can accurately describe a bug, you can have a ton of people agreeing with you in the comments and you can submit working patchs that fixes the issue - and you will get some GNOME maintainer just closing it with WONTFIX because he's worked hard to make sure it's broken and wants to keep it that way.

>Someone even made a patch for it, but for whatever reason it was never integrated
And this is why GNOME is a piece of garbage. This is not the only example of bugs being open for years or just closed when there's working patches submitted.

Yes. GNOME's had problematic developers in charge for a very long time. This is why many have just given up on it, there is no point in trying to contribute because your work will be rejected anyway and there's no point in using it either because it will never improve, it will only get worse.

Why the fuck is Shuttleworth letting this switch happen then? You realise all the prospective gnome switchers are Ubuntu fags like me who want to know if this is the end of our relationship with Ubuntu or if this is time to move to either K/Lubuntu, (xfeces is xfeces) or possibly something like Debian or Fedora + Neon. I'm open to anything as long as I can do my web shit, my programming shit, my vidya shit and my anniemaes shit and the OS doesn't get in my way. That's how Unity was, a beautiful fucking desktop that didn't get in my way. I'm probably going to be on 16.04 for a long time to come. There's no real reason for me to switch to Wayland from X.

m8 is where its at

Shuttleworth wants to get rid of the destop since its not making him any shekels anyway

deepin linux is the new way
it's simply beautiful and fast
debian based so normies will have their apt-get as well
>inb4 chinese botnet spyware
couldn't care less when the ISP, NSA, FBI, CIA, russioans and everyone is spying on me already

MATE FOREVER

On the 1st of November every user open a new bug for it on their Bugzilla.

This sort of thing is why Linux has never competed in the desktop. For every user there's always some tiny, stupid thing that shows that the system is unsuitable. And all the developers are off doing "more important things" like a new window system that does nothing for the user.

H-Hows lxde?

>Fedora + Neon
Wut. How does that work then?

Is that what GNOME 3 looks like nowadays?

>couldn't care less when the ISP, NSA, FBI, CIA, russioans and everyone is spying on me already
Yeah let's just give up, that's the spirit.

>It's also a desktop from people who are confused and think a desktop computer is a tablet or a mobile phone and they are designing the UI accordingly.
Fingers crossed they rip off the win8.1 start menu then.

And is for the best user, GNOME is the best DE Linux has.

l8 b8

P A D D I N G
A
D
D
I
N
G

Can you resize snapped windows yet?

i3 wm will win this war when someone try it he istantly love it !

god damn it, this makes me rage everytime

lxshitty

2017 year of the linux desktop? xD

Before this goes any further to the point of homosexuality, aka full gnome

Is Xfeces better than KDE, because the only reason i know why it's better is it's lightweightness

KDE or XFCE with ubuntu???

KDE would be good if it had good looks by default.

Think about it, Sup Forums
Instead of the monolithic design approach, we exploit modularity, where our strength lies. So here is my proposal:

1. Like file manager, there should be a seperate MIME type or xdg standard for "directory/file selector.
2. The file selector should be an application-independent process, can be spawned by multiple apps.
3. Users are able to install their prefered file selectors. If the file selector type is not defined, applications will simply open the legacy file chooser.
4. There will be a standard protocol like JSON, that will dictate how applications and file selectors will communicate.

We can do this, pretty easily. However the hardest part is:
1. Get the people of freedesktop to agree to make a new xdg-standard [critical]
2. Have the existing application devs informed of the new standard MIME type.

What do you think? I think file explorer and file selectors should not have much of a difference.

Cinnamon does not have this problem.

How to get good looks?

Why would you post such an outdated screenshot?
KDE is the only DE that does look good out of the box. With all others you either get no themes, win 95 looking themes or fucking Adwaita.

Honestly, I'd use KDE if I knew how to get rid of the HUGE FUCKING CLOCK. I once got it looking pretty nice on a KDE Neon live cd only to not know how to get rid of the obviously too big clock.

inshallah

Get the event calendar widget and replace the default clock with that. Has font size option along with a whole bunch of other ones.

That is no where near what it looks like by default.

Why the fuck do Gnome and GTK still exist? Why can't they just fucking die? They're the biggest problem with Linux at the moment. Why can't everyone just use Plasma and Qt?

I actually like the idea of a completely Linux focused grapical toolkit. Howeever it being completely focused on one DE and its fucktarded developers is what makes it shit.

Good thing KDE doesn't even look like that.

>Why would you post such an outdated screenshot?
Because it's the one I had with the complaints placed on it. It got better, but it's still not good enough. Dolphin still looks like a mess, for example. Say what you will about gnome, but although it has shitty default configurations, its looks are consistent and better than KDE's when it comes to their default programs.

I'd like to defend gnome more, but just its huge window header is just a big no.

GTK is actually faster than Qt

Again, outdated.
I would like to see some actual, up to date, criticisms though. "Mess" is pretty vague.

Give me a recent screenshot, then. One that doesn't have those problems. Everything I get from google is either old or cropped apparently.

Why the fuck do people love the global menu meme so much?
I fucking hate it and removed the osx partition from my macbook air because of it

How is this a mess?

Nice wasted space.
Plasma is better.

Thanks user. Hopefully I can find Qt apps to replace the GTK apps I use. The hardest to find might be an Audacity replacement.

>KDE is the only DE that does look good out of the box
As much as I dislike its purposeful lack of features and its devs, that goes towards Pantheon.

Because not everyone is going to like and more importantly, want to work on the same thing for free. There's also no real authority in the Linux world, aside from the big corporations and the most popular ones choose GNOME and contribute to its development. Everyone's idea of the perfect GUI for their computer is quite divisive, and that's why you have everyone branching off and doing their own thing. As pointless as it might seem to some, the DE is the "biggest", most important program on most people's computers.

Even if that weren't the case, the option is still nice. I prefer GNOME, but I also quite like KDE. I'm just more accustomed to the former.