Sup Forums was right

I have recently started to slowly adopt a number of Sup Forums memes, and, quite frankly, doing so has made my tech experience better than it ever has been before.

> Learn C
> Way comfier than C++, code is slightly more verbose but way easier to understand because it's not nearly as bloated
> Now ready to learn kernel programming which I've wanted to do for a long time

> Install gentoo
> Learn way more about Linux than I ever thought I'd know
> Computer boots in seven seconds because everything is compiled exactly as I need it and there's no unnecessary shit to load

> Use IceCat
> Kind of a pain in the ass sometimes
> But freedom and a cool cat logo are worth it

> Emacs
> all the nice features of a full-blown editor with none of the bloat
> elisp is c o m f y compared to shitty vimscript trash
> write 10x more code these days because of how nice Emacs is

> ThinkPad
> My first Sup Forums meme
> Cheapest laptop I've ever bought and yet still out-specs everything else I've had
> Durable and nice keyboard

windows C# visual studio plebs will never be this comfy

>Cool cat logo

Emacs is bloat incarnate.

I think you can also boot other distros in seconds, its the power of systemd.

But gentoo has been nice in terms of long term maintainability.

> Now ready to learn kernel programming which I've wanted to do for a long time
fucking lmao

Atom has it beat by a processing power factor of like 100 and it doesn't even act as operating system with a desktop.

systemd

>Computer boots in seven seconds
Sure it does

fellow comfy here. Can confirm for comfy

my nigga you don't know bloat until you use Visual Studio (tm) Enterprise (tm) "Special Features (crutches) So Our Retarded SJWs Can Actually Program" Editon that uses 500MB on startup.

nobody wants that lennartware garbage

nice my man

nice SSD + light kernel that I've configured by hand = yes it does

>C
>Gentoo/SMGL
>IceCat
>Emacs/vim
>Thinkpad
I am leaning to this too OP, they are indeed the right tools for the job.

I can run it on a netbook from 2008 with no issues, it's like a sport bike compared to the cargo ship that is modern IDEs

May I ask you to compare XPS's to similar Thinkpads at about the same price? I love XPS's portability, and all of the thin and light thinkpads I saw were more expensive than the Dell laptop.

I didn't really optimize anything and still have 9.2 seconds boot time with systemd-analyze with a really relatively shitty AM1 5350 and while doing semi-superfluous things like running shorewall, udisks2 and lvm2 as part of that boot.

> SMGL
When is *that* ever the right tool?

Dedicated servers and one job laptops, if you catch my drift

You made a mistake. You will forever be a brainlet by choosing to learn C instead of the superior language C++.

>Arch Linux
>100GB SSD
>Systemd
>2.6s boot time
C o m f y

>he took the memes seriously
you're supposed to do the opposite of what g says

Icy cool

Having never used one, I can't give you a decent answer. They seem to have decent screens but it doesn't look like the build quality is quite on-par with ThinkPads.

hard to believe considering GRUB takes about two seconds to load itself

I've never met a compentant programmer in my life that says one language is above all others. Different languages for different functions.

>> Way comfier than C++, code is slightly more verbose but way easier to understand because it's not nearly as bloated

are people literally this fucking retarded ? this has to be a meme. C has advantages over C++ but that is 100% not one of them.

systemd is for gaywads and faggots

i think he is referring to all of the faggy plugins C+ cucks rely on to pretend they are competent programmers

if you're reinventing the wheel, you're not even a competent human to be honest

Not even OP

acme > emacs

It's time to transcend and learn haskell

>not using kernel as bootloader
get with times grandpa

How?

>I've never met a compentant programmer in my life
FTFY

>got memed into programming
>got memed into thinkpad
>got memed into linux
Wow thanks now i have 3 things i like a lot
Most recently though (lisp) is my new interest

Retard

>buying new ThinkPads
user...

OP fell for the right memes.

I've also fallen for those Sup Forums memes. I'd also add
>SICP
Lived up to the hype. Great book and it got me hooked on Scheme and eventually Common Lisp.

I wanted to post that

here...

that's why you use vim, fuck off with your lesser-evilism

Haha got me :^)

It's like you don't want magic in your life.
Are you that boring?

>all the nice features of a full-blown editor with none of the bloat
kek
Games and "medic" is an important part of my computing life within a text editor (OS).

Legacy bios can't but that new crap can do load kernel binary image directly. Uefi? Always forgot its crappy name.

I too, enjoy all these memes.

Any recommendations on how to grok emacs?

windows can do that

It's lighter than vim

>you're supposed to do the opposite of what g says
Unironically this

Lies.

EFISTUB

I wish I could dive into C programming or programming at all.

>not being a NEET
>already have a non-IT career
>too old to get back to school
>feels bad man

It actually is, though.

Never too late to get back to school. Unless you had children, in which case, that's your fault user.

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

lisp is still the best programming language and environment i've ever used. Been programming for around a decade now.

Just pick up a book, user. Its not hard. Get off this shithole, install emacs, and just start typing.

Not OP, but I'd start with its builtin tutor. At first, its kinda clunky and slow, and you're going to mod the fuck out of it, but just try to keep it vanilla for a while.

They're about the same sized core in C. Emacs just has a bajillion lines of elisp on top of it.

They're memes because they have a hint of truth to them. Kinda like ED is the standard editor. Which it is. And desu, i think in an ideal world, ED would still be used, maybe in a different way. TECO is comfy too.

Does Sup Forums insert desu? Because i did not type desu.

Whomever gives away his critical thinking in the service of memes will lose both and deserves neither. - CIA

Say what you want, Gentoo is by far one of the best distros I have ever used. Emacs is the best environment (i wouldn't say editor, though). C is a delicious language.

Same setup
>tfw POST takes the majority of boot time

Actually the client is lighter than vim if you start an emacs Darmon. But vim keybindings are juste so much comfier than emacs.
But Lisp is comfy

> using GRUB

you do know about an existence of evil-mode for Emacs?
Still, I guess I'll never understand the beauty of modal editing. I mean, it's like using CapsLock instead of Shift every time you want to type a capital letter.

I tried but it felt like I had to learn emacs first. I hate using something when I don't know how it works. I would like to learn emacs but i'm so well with vim ATM. And i'm doing network GTA/embedded so.. vim is useful :)

that's not because they don't believe it, it's just because they're not autistic enough to give a shit. In the embedded / llsm C is used exclusively by folks, including for webserver tasks, but you would never find someone griping about "how shit" javascript is.

most programmers don't represent the child's omnipotential ideal of someone who flows in and out and can do most tasks, they are like mechanics who are pretty good at one technical skill that is not some sort of universal to them. it's not true of the public-facing part of "tech" but it's true of the vast majority of actual development

Casio f-91w is an example of a bad Sup Forums meme.
These waches are a complete shit. They aren't ergonomical, the light is useless and they lack some useful features like a timer.

>i'm doing network GTA/embedded so.. vim is useful :)
Why?

>not getting the McFly/Heisenberg calculator one
Pleb.

>IceCat a pain the ass
Bruh...

Lot of ssh ànd Vi/VIM are installed by défaut.
It's easier to modify conf files. And I learned so I like it as my day to day editor

>changelog: comment your code using emojis :-)

This is the future we chose lads.

are you me?

These aren't Sup Forums memes anymore OP
The 2017 Sup Forums memes are shilling AMD/Intel while sucking Bill Gates' cock on a speccy thread shilling how (((comfy))) VisualStudio code is even though you've never written more than a hello world program in your life.

Also complaining that you need to do muh math in a Computer Science degree

Stop getting memed

>tfw I used Arch and had a mechanical keyboard before going to Sup Forums for the first time

Also, ThinkPads are great. I bought a T420 and I think it's great. Now I wish my mechanical keyboard had a trackpoint.

>vim is useful
Emacs has TRAMP. You can edit files over ssh with it, and you don't have to rely on whatever you have on the remote machine to edit. Also, since you're doing it locally you don't get all of that input lag.

As a slackware user i hardly see any reason to use gentoo

Newfag get out

How do I make emacs autoload a project after I quit the program with the project still open? Having to C-x C-f the file path every time I start it up, open new buffers for other files, and sometimes open another buffer to load the emacs shell is annoying

Gentoo is openrc by default though?

Thin and light is a shit meme user
Go thick or go home

Plus if you're picking up a new thinkpad T470(standard or P) or X270 is best

both systemd and openrc are fully supported but i *think* most gentoo users prefer openrc

user literally Google "the programming language"
The book is literally on github
Start reading

> made my tech experience better than it ever has been before
> Use IceCat
> Kind of a pain in the ass sometimes
> But freedom and a cool cat logo are worth it
Yeeeeaaah, sure.

i used to have archlinux booting from a raid array, it still took about 5 seconds to boot. most of that was just grub

Why use emacs when vim is lighter and faster with an arguably superior editing mode?
What reasons do people have for using emacs over vim?

>Sup Forums was right
of course we were

>write 10x more code these days because of how nice Emacs is
Unfortunately you are still 3x less productive due to writing in C.

More education is more valuable than kids to take care of you in your old age? Dumb as fuck nihilism tbhfamily. Look forward to being abused in your golden years.

500mb? i fucking wish lad

Pick an idea for a tool you want to code, nothing fancy, idk just pick some random algorithms for starters.
Install any *nix system.
Choose a decent editor (basically vim or emacs).
Get C Programming Language Book.
Start hacking away.

Next you just need your programming socks and skirt

As soon as you mention emacs in a positive way, everything you say is invalidated by the fact that you're a retard.

>use emacs on mac OS
>try to M-x gnus, it crashes
>reinstall everything with brew cask
>emacs in my applications folder goes from 18MB to more than 100MB
>gnus still makes it crash
What is this?

show me where emacs touched you, user.

>windows C# visual studio plebs will never be this comfy
Yes, being NEET is pretty comfy. .NET developers will never know this feel ;)

Disregard this shit advice:
1. Use whatever OS you like, that includes Windows. In that case, install Visual Studio, it's free. C is a portable language. For macOS, get Xcode. For Linux/BSD, use gcc or clang.
2. Get any editor your want, one you're comfortable with.
3. Get C Programming Language Book.
4. Start "hacking" away, or as us adults call it, start programming.

Same here, to be honest every Sup Forums meme I have adopted has been a huge improvment in my life:
>Casio 91W
>use it daily
>bought it 6€
>15 years warranty
>date, time, stopwatch, alarm
>litterally perfect

>Thinkpad X41
>35€
>Best keyboard I have ever used on a laptop
> Comfy 4:3
>bought it used 4 years ago, use it daily, still looks and feels brand new

>The C programming language book
>Absolutely amazing book
>You actually learn the hard way and know a ton of stuff afterwards

>Structure and interpretation of computer programs
>Awesome book! Just awesome!

>Chink Shit
>Bought a pokemon bootleg cartridge for 5€
>bought a chink famicom for 20€
>bought nazi hat for 20€
>bought japanese ww2 imperial hat for 15€

>Gentoo
>Most feel good distro ever existing
>I still stick to Debian nonetheless

>Sony MDR7506
>99€
>Just PERFECT headset
>cry everytiem I listen to my David bowie FLACs like a true audiophag.

>Microsoft intellimouse explorer
>Best mouse I have ever used

>Vim
>Best editor I have ever used

>O'REILLY books
>Bewt book serie I have ever read

THANK YOU Sup Forums FOR ALL YOUR SHILLING! LOVE YOU GUYS! :)