/spc/ - secondary PCs general

what do you do with your secondary not-so-good PC?
do you use it as a second screen? do you turn it into a server or mediacenter? do you give it away or try to sell it ?

I reused my old x4 640 and repurposed it as a Plex server. I lost the side case and it's loud as fuck though and warms the room.

I just installed teamviewer on it to manage it. Old 6670 in there because it bitches about booting up without a GPU.

Old cases are the fucking worst for cable management though

teamviewer is great to manage PCs on LAN.
i have a lot of old cases around, dont really know what to do with them.

Been trying to sell the guts from mine. No one's biting because it's old as shit (Sup Forums built it in 2008) and I reused the case and HDD.

Even if it were a whole system it wouldn't be worth the electricity to run it.

Had an old plasma jet of a 771 socket server.
32 GBs of RAM that used twice as much energy as my main dual E5s.

Ended up giving it to a friend who could foot the bill and wanted some cool equipment and threw me a few private keys in case I need a shell for something on it.

>3 spare PCs i dont use, 2 of wich might need some work and one ready to be sold
>3 laptops, 2 of wich are missing keyboard or battery but work perfectly fine for me
how do i into selling second hand shit? seems like i have to put bargain-tier prices even if im selling something in perfect condition.

>teamviewer is great
poo detected

i dont know any alternative and TeamViewer is easy

ssh

what if i dont want to use a command prompt so i can actually do things fairly quickly
also its not a real alternative, teamviewer shows the remote desktop visually

>command prompt
Its called a terminal you complete mong
>so i can actually do things fairly quickly
CLI is way faster than GUI unless your fucking new to computers and still type with two fingers

Any kind of VNC software would be better than TeamViewer
They had a string of hacks last year where people could get remote access to any account and TeamViewer blamed the users
They also datamine the shit out of you

I use it to back up my iPhone and upload ringtones that I create. That's it. But, thanks to it, I can boot encrypt my Linux box.

> CLI is way faster than GUI
This. Windows users/admins may not believe it, but it's way faster to surf through a config file searching for an option than looking it up in a GUI window if you have no idea where it should be located.
I demand grep for Windows GUIs.

If it's old enough, use it as a completely offline-only archive safe haven.

Using my second pc as an htpc , it has a 9590, and sli 770's. So some light gaming and emulation.

They just lie around until I find a use for them. Once I move and get a new desk I'm going to have multiple computers with Synergy

Using an old desktop i got for free as a streambox
Just plugged a HDMI cable into the tv and got a wireless mouse

Too lazy to install kodi or whatever
CCCP and network shared hhd on my desktop works just fine

nas4free

i have a x3 zfs mirror and a NFS share

local wikipedia
local git server
firefox sync server
f-droid server
nfs
embi server for kodi
local media for streaming

>Its called a terminal you complete mong
ACKSHUALLY it's called a terminal emulator

Ayy i have that case. Its ATX so im probably going to use it again.

Nice!

Witnessed.

file/media center
torrentbox
mpd server (I have an amp connected to it) (also it has bluetooth so I can pair my phone to it and play music that way)

it's an old laptop, so I can't do use it for much more without running out of RAM/CPU

my old 2500k pc is in my living room, connected to the TV with wireless mouse/keyboard because fuck botnet TVs

I have a secondary PC that acts as a FreeNAS host and can download things from USENET to put on Plex.

I also have a thinkpad X200 that I've been learning gentoo on

>mpd server (I have an amp connected to it) (also it has bluetooth so I can pair my phone to it and play music that way)
neat

I have my old fx-9370 laying around that I was thinking of turning into a dedicated encoding PC. Problem is that I have no board for it, and any board that is with buying is a least $90. Then I would need to spend an additional $30-$50 for a passive GPU.

Not to mention I doubt any board I can get for it has wake on LAN feature which would be required because fuck keeping a 220w tdp chip running 24/7.

Al in all seems like a hassle. A pricey one. I may just buy a Threadripper setup soon. Probably the 12c/24t if it comes down on sale. Does Threadripper support ECC?

>fuck keeping a 220w tdp chip running 24/7
it's not using 220W 24/7

I know it's not. I'm talking more about heat output. Even at idle the fucker was a furnace. My room is heavily insulated with sound proofing so any trapped heat stays.

Oh and for the money, time, and effort I'd spend to reuse my 9370, I could get a used i7-4770/4790 from eBay for less and just pop it into my existing lga-1150 based server that only has a Pentium currently. I'd also get iGPU so no need to waste money on a dedicated GPU.

underclock?
>tfw have FX-8350 and havent upgraded yet

Yea I thought the same, but again, price. I'm looking at close to $250 after I get everything needed to reuse that 9370. For less than $100 more I can get another r7-1700, passive GPU, some ram as well. Idk. I'll watch prices.

lol @ pic
did Sup Forums make that?