Got my IT certification

>got my IT certification
>about to apply for a job milking cows because it's been 4 months since I graduated and I have barely gotten a response from any tech jobs I've applied at

>no degree
enjoy sitting in the trash along with the """"""""self-taughts"""""""

it might not be all that bad user

I know it's not so bad. I've done it before. It's quite peaceful compared to some of the stressful assignments I've done at school. But I feel like shit for not doing work in my field

I'm self taught, and I earn $85k per year. Never took a single collage corse, or have any degrees in anything

I'm a help desk sr. analyst, but I do all the admin shit aside from networking

keep applying. its a full time job. check out job sites, make a good resume.

What kind of shit do you recommend for such a resume?
How did you get that job? Work your way up from a lower position?

don't you have any contacts ?

Go to university you dumb fag.

I got it through a recruiter, contract to hire. started at $35 an hour for 6 months. that was 2 years ago.

before that I was earning $45k a year. so this was a nice upgrade.

your resume should be nice, and clean. to the point, and tailor made to each company you apply for. you also need to spend time writing a NEW and different cover letter for each job you are applying for.

You do that, and I guarantee you that 1 out of 3 places will call you back. if you just write a generic cover letter, and dont tweak your resume for each position, you would be lucky to get 1 out of 20 to respond.

ask me how I know

there's no way to get a job without being able to feign enthusiasm, is there?

Absolutely not.
If you can't at least hide your autism for the multiple interview process, you will never get a cushy job.
The hiring process has very little to do with what you know but how much the interviewer likes you, but not so much that he feels you would threaten his job security.

You could be making 6 figures if you weren't such a bum

I am an introvert, and I fucking HATE small talk, and I avoid talking to people as much as I can.

I still forced my self to work help desk, and desktop support where I deal with dozens of people each day. thankfully I work odd shifts, and about a quarter of my day is after hours, and I am alone.

Adderall, and booze helps. Now I just smoke weed every fucking day. I go through a sheet of glass a week. tolerence is so fucking high right now.

tired quiting for a few days to lower my tolerence, but I turned into a shitty person at work, so I'm back on the herb now.

fake it till you make it. go into interviews rolling balls if you need to. I litterally snorted molly before my last interview, and I fucking nailed it. well, I thought I blew it, but everyone there loved me. hired me on the spot. recruiter called me like 10 minutes later said I had the job.

bomb an interview, just ask for feedback. keep that fake smile, drink some beers, rail some coke. do whatever you gotta do.

>I litterally snorted molly before my last interview, and I fucking nailed it. well, I thought I blew it, but everyone there loved me. hired me on the spot. recruiter called me like 10 minutes later said I had the job.
And then everyone clapped and gave you $100, right?

No, they gave me $35 an hour for 6 months.

look for work in the medical field. they throw money at any problem.

all our fucking PCs are i7 skylakes with 16 or 32GB.

last places I worked at everything was an i3 with 4GB of RAM, and the higher ups got i5 with 8gb of ram if they worked their long enough.

i can literally go to the supply room, and grab 2 more monitors and run 6 and no one would question it.

we give out $2k laptops out as a second PC for people who wanna "work at home"

>Never took a single collage corse
lol
is this new copypasta from /sci/?

>i7 skylakes with 16 or 32GB.
RAM that is, and 512GB M.2 SSDs in everything. we dont have any mechanical HDs anymore.

medial insurance companies waste money like nothing else.

there is a reason that 1:1 monitor is $1,200 for """"""""""medical"""""""""""" use

ps. im trying to get them to buy some, but we dont have a contract with that retailer otherwise I would have em.

You have a single IT cert and expect a job? Are you fucking retarded? What certification is it anyway?

Keep your resume at one easy to read page. Don't make someone struggle to find important info.

Also by the time I see resumes they don't have cover letters attached. That might be our HR's fault. If it helps pass an HR department then maybe do it anyways.

Dude I have a bachelor's, 4 it certs and about a year of experience and I can't even get a helpdesk job.

I get get calls from recruiters, but never hear back from the client.

Whatever you do, never move near DC

i have a degree and a cert, i'm also finding it difficult to get a job.

you too eh? You wouldnt have any insight as to why this is the case? not you specifically but the who job market right now? Is no one hiring right now?

Like god damn, I havent had a job in 4 months

You have to go to the jobs. Doesn't matter if you have a degree from MIT, if your in the middle of nowhere.

Most jobs are a 2+ hour commute away and it's horrible, i'll probably end up moving. As for my education I have a CCNA and a Bachelors of engineering in computer network communications. I thought taking this path would assure me a stable career but i was wrong.

Don't work in IT, but a good resume matters more than anything.

They're always going to say no unless you go find out yourself

oh cool, I have CCENT and work on CCNA, I think CCNA could get something

Ya move, those credentials should easily get you a job in a major market.

Good luck user, it's a grind. Please lab as much as you can! Start learning Python too.
Experience is my main problem, i had a placement year and i thought that would help after graduation but it isn't enough for most companies, they want at least 2 or more.

>Good luck user, it's a grind. Please lab as much as you can! Start learning Python too.
yeah I'm planning on doing all of that, I just need at least a fucking helpdesk job so I wont drown in college payments while I study

I'm 23.
No college. No certs (Currently trying to grab Security+ and Network + for beginner shit)

I'm not a tard, butt nothing I could do in a professional manner. What do?

So I have halfway decent odds as someone with a rather lackluster resume for electronic technician with 5ish years work experience in fast food (I can say restaurant if it sounds better)?

While I'm definitely more introverted I've been forced to interact with people in customer service so it shouldn't be too much trouble to be pleasant in an interview. My concern is my bad GPA and just generally spotty school record. It's not to say I don't have experience, I have a very well geared work bench with a great deal of instrumentation and test equipment that I am very familiar with using plus have work on several projects some of which I could bring in to present, PCBs I've designed, schematics, repair logs for equipment like one of my analog scopes, etc. I know I'd be qualified, I just think I'm a bit of a tough sell since school just wasn't really my thing.

I am going to get my commercial drivers licence, should be able to get good money for 5 or 10 years until it is all automated and then I will be fucked. Better than making min wage in those 5-10 years though

fuck the help desk, but i think that's where i'm heading for experience.

Nice blog. What does that have to do with anything in this thread?

I literally cant get anything else at the moment,

nothing wrong with my resume either, it's just that the job market is hot shit at the moment, at least in D.C.

How D.C. works is that since there are only government contractors, they would not touch you with a ten foot pool unless you get a secret or top secret clearance which you can only get if you were in the military or you somehow convince someone to sponsor you.

Fuck D.C. and when I get my CCNA, I'm going moving

To add onto his advice, you can improve your odds of success by:
>Having a website showcasing your skills as an independent serviceman, showing initiative and shit
>have a collection of your work online for potential employers to look at
>write a book or training course on a related subject to your job, not even a necessarily great book, but a half decent one, and publish only one copy, and leave on the employers desk as a gift after interview.
>overall prove you know shit

Unfortunetly most of what your looking for is in research triangle on the east coast, or on the west coast. Centered in Silicon valley and Greater Seattle. But Boston and New York are up and coming.

Same here user, just graduated highschool and im going to try to go for A++, Sec+, and Network+ and see if i can land in a beginner job and then build my way up.

Anywhere without government contractors and I'm okay

comptia certs like network+ and sec+ are a mile wide but an inch deep, have you considered aiming for vendor certs like the CCNA or MCSA?

comptia certs should net a decent entry level position though, I agree that the comptia certs should get them through the door but as they are working try to get something else

At the end of the day experience is the most important thing, here is a chart

Experience>Degree>Certs>nothing

Of course I want to do CCNA, CEH, CISM, CRISC, CISSP, etc. But I thought I should build my knowledge. Get all the certs I can in these basics before going forward.

I'm just afraid it won't be enough

I worked in IT for 5 years and was stressed/miserable the whole time.

I've delivered pizza for 3 years and I make nearly triple I did in IT. Tonight I made $240 cash on a wednesday. My entire 2 week paycheque in IT was like $1100.

Connections > Experience > Certs > Degree

you cant be 40 doing pizza shit, what's your end game

no user i haven't, but what would you recommend? The reason why im going for A++ Net+ and Sec+ is because my community college is offering them and thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of it

>Certs > Degree
lol no

what do you want to do? what do you want to specialize in?

I don't care right now. What matters is I'm saving money.

There's always shit to do that's educationless and pays well. I could do work in the mines and make $7k/mo, could fight fires, could work on the oil rigs... It doesn't matter.

>>Certs > Degree
>lol no
actually, certs = degree = horseshit

>>Certs > Degree
>lol no
Connections > Experience > Any degree, even if not relevant, with certs > Certs, no degree > Relevant degree, no certs

ayyy

Pretty decent, I would swap the last two

cybersecurity for the most part since it seems it's going to be more demanding in the future than it is now. But i might be wrong desu

All IT fields will be oversaturated soon. Already are with the Pajeets.

Security+, CCENT, CCNA S and CEH

learn some pen test stuff and good luck, security is a meme right now and everyone and their mom wants to have this position

I guess it depends on the cert. MCSA, CompTIA? Yeah those are less valuable than a degree. CCNA? More valuable, assuming relevant to position, than someone with degree alone.

If you didn't get any certs while pursuing your degree, you're not going to be taken seriously.

>tfw want to be AI programmer.
>tfw want to literally make HAL 9000 or Cortana.
>tfw no idea how to self teach this shit.
>Can't go to college or any decent uni.
>All is lost

IT-suffers from being crowded as fuck, not really needing more people, and the only ones they want to hire are the "bearded guys with 15 years of experience on a job".

Also, if you are self taught, great, in the end that diploma means jack shit, and stuff taught there is generalized as fuck.

it would be tough, but you can do it

get a random job and while working, get some certs and self study, fuck with some programs and do some pen tests and put all of that on your resume and you could land something

no employer wants to hire a dumb frog poster

whoops sorry, I thought you were the security guy, as for development, I believe you would have to create a project and then list that in the resume

net+ will teach you how to network, go from that to CCNA and you'll be fine.

>Work 9 hours a day
>Apple Technical Support.
>Fix fucking iMessage and Mail all day.

>Already studying for basic certs
>Trying and failing for college as the semester already started.
>Have to go to Community first and try and be the best with shining GPA and Projects.
>Again, 23.

I feel like time is my enemy. I try and study, I do nothing but ready, program and work. But I still can't do enough in the amount of time.

I wish I took my life seriously in High School

I love and respect all races and genders though and I am very tolerant. I am also not technically white since all of humanity alive today can be linked back to one common ancestor around the Ghengis-khan era. Every human alive today descended from that person so that makes us all related which also means that I am some fraction of every single race (it also means that incest really is wincest, no matter who you fuck you're always fucking your cousin). Pls hire me.

this is literally me, drugs are best you can do for things like that

>IT certification
Which one

I have an A+ and a Network+, got them in high school, never used them, and now I'm entering community college at 24

Lol op thought he could compete with third world labor. Good luck fighting pajeet who works for pennies on the dollar.

You people having a hard time getting a job with degrees and certs just don't get it do you? It's more about your personal/people skills than it is about your technical skills. Employers would rather you be a good fit to the team than some genius who doesn't interact with anyone.

I'd suggest going out and working on social skills.

t. a guy who barely got thru college and landed a job right after nailing the interview, beating out 150 other applicants who i bet my cushy salary were smarter than me

A high level vendor specific cert is equivalent to Or maybe even better than a broad field degree

Just starting on that path myself at 25. Remember that staying strong makes you strong.

Self teaching that is pretty much not feasible. Most people who actually work on that have PhD's, not just bachelor's

You'll be in the trash soon enough. Drumpy wony be re elected and your precious over paid position will be going over seas.