Bought a Vega Liquid - thread #2 (last one closed)

prev thread (closed)
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :)

The gpu arrived a few hours ago, a Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid 8GB; a very nice looking card.

I just got it installed after cleaning out case dust and taking some pics.

I'm using the win7 (no 8.1 drivers)Vega drivers from AMD's website: win7-64bit-radeon-rx-vega-software-17.30.1051-b6-aug7.exe

Now some answers for prev thread:

I installed the heaven bench and have 3dmark and pcmark.

I also installed Arma 3 and have Fallout4, Warhammer, BF1, Civ6, Witcher 3 and more.

Thanks for Gamersnexus link - watching now, I will do as you say re undervolting as post results.

The psu is a Corsair AX1500i.

Noise levels - it runs very quiet, I can hardly hear it @ idle; with a temp of 24 degrees c. Regarding noise from other fans - I have 2x140mm case fans and a liquid cpu cooler with 2x140mm fans on the radiator.

I have pics of the case internals which I will upload very soon.

Refresh for results :)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=i7-6850
youtube.com/watch?v=XC5Dy_b-kE8
youtube.com/watch?v=Nc6R1hwXhL8
computerbase.de/2017-08/radeon-rx-vega-64-56-test/7/#diagramm-deus-ex-mankind-divided-hbcc-aktiv-16-gb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can you run fallout 4 in 1080p please

that puts it in between a titan x (22,600)and 1080ti FE (28,800) in graphics score. not bad

Why you bought it?

fallout 4 is capped at 60fps

the engine is tied to the framerate, so if you unlock the framerate, the speed of the game increases accordingly (above 60fps). what you're left with is NPCs being finished with their animations before the sound has even played. it's funny, but sucks when you're trying to enjoy the game.

Titan X Maxwell?

>flat 120hz master race
Seems like you need to tweak some stuff

what did you tweak? and do you have steam framerate indicators? i would like to see proof, or at least what you fixed.

>enjoying Fallout 4

@1080p

Which area do you want me to test? AFAIK there is no benchmark tool for it, so I'll just walk around and records fps..

He said trying to enjoy, not succeeding.

Fair enough.

>K CPU
>not overclocked
user pls

>K CPU
>It's a 6-core
>not overclocked, even though there is no cheaper 6-core at 3.6GHz and it actually makes sense if all he wanted was that.

Isn't there a non-k version?

lmgtfy.com/?q=i7-6850

Unigine VALLEY @ 1440p

Unigine VALLEY @ 1080p

Vega installed

how long are those pipes?

It has such a beautiful shroud

60cm

Gj Mr shroud

that's cool, did you notice any pump noise? the radiator is 120mm right?

You should say, puts it around titan x, you imply it falls in the middle.

Not trying to shit it up too bad in here, but for reference scores with same settings from my 980ti and 1080ti, will run test and post scores if wanted
Running on r5 1600 3200mhz CAS 16 1x8gb ram
980ti overclocked - 1440p=1500, 1080p=2200
1080ti stock with slightly more aggressive fan curve - 1440p=2300, 1080p=3500
Shit isn't looking good boys

The radiator is 140mm and the fan is 120mm.

When benchmarking I could hear a louder noise from the pump - though in some scenes it would drop the noise level down towards idle noise.

Valley scores:
980ti - 1440p=2500, 1080p=3971
1080ti - 1440p=3700, 1080p=5100
Justctrying to add some context here, with my real world testing on a dirty windows install with a similar 6 core processor

dang, why wouldn't they put a 140mm fan on it?

There are very few effective 140mm static pressure fans, and there are none that out lass something like say a gentle typhoon. You're better off with a gasket or adapter and a 120mm
Same idea behind why 200mm isn't popular for water cooling even given the massive airflow and space that would allow with virtually no noise, static pressure a shit

I'm think of replacing it with an led fan actually...

primitive shaders are turned off user, if RTG fixes their shit up we'll see at the bare minimum a 30% perf improvement

fair enough, if it cools the gpu properly there's no problem though
wouldn't you have to take it apart to do that, voiding the warranty in the process?

im an amd fan, i really am. the only reason i even have these cards are because i got them for incredible prices, but come on now user

Total War: Warhammer @ 1080p (Std Benchmark)

Settings: Dx11 All Ultra, AAx8

op, guy here
is there any way you could overclock your cpu and give us some results with overclocking? that could be limiting the card
also, if others are interested, I can redo tests with the 1080ti with my r5 at 3.6 to match op

the fact that you already found one and bought it is a miracle...
amd already stated that they had stocked 3 million chips and they are down on 30% after 4 days

the cards are bandwidth starved because of all the fucktons of extra triangles they're having to draw, just like previous GCN cards, the primitive shaders remove all the triangles that are outside the player's FoV, helping a fuckton on the bandwidth, and allowing TBR to do its work properly

Here's an interview explaining it in more detail
youtube.com/watch?v=XC5Dy_b-kE8

Run the thing featured in youtube.com/watch?v=Nc6R1hwXhL8 and tell us if Vega's tile-based stuff even works or if it's yet another thing AMD failed on for release.

so when will they be turned on?

its true
computerbase.de/2017-08/radeon-rx-vega-64-56-test/7/#diagramm-deus-ex-mankind-divided-hbcc-aktiv-16-gb
nothing from the new features is working on the gaming driver while hbcc is working on the workstation driver..

i think we can all agree that amd just didnt care much about gaming or most probably they didnt had enough money to develop at once workstation and gaming drivers

This can't be real, right? 80 FPS average.
My pic is what I get with a GTX 1080.

As above 1080p with FXAA instead of 8xAA

Is this the housefire thread?

There will be a difference for sure, but still, you pulled that 30% perf improvement out from your ass. For some reason you all always overhype yourself into eventual disappointment.

no one knows, it works just fine on the pro drivers, which were the ones RTG gave their attention first.
Maybe they manage to enable it for when the AiBs start getting released in September

Again 1080p with FXAA but with DoF OFF and Screen Space Reflections OFF (both quite costly)

no im familiar with how it works, but why isnt it enabled already? what is stopping them from working everyone they have to get this obviously killer feature working?
polaris was bandwidth starved too, but obviously there wasnt an arch feature to fix that, but still. 30% is a lot user, a LOT.
its not that they arent in the gaming driver, HBCC is just disabled by default, because very little currently takes advantage of it

this lines up with my scores with my 1080ti and the known and tested performance difference between the 1080 and 1080ti
so yeah it would appear so

what you mean very little? everything can take advantage of it considering what he does its program agnostic

they didn't give a shit for the gaming drivers, they were more worried with the professional/enterprise stuff first, because those are the ones that will sell better

not him, but maybe because outside of really high res textures on modded games, most of the time the dataset is small enough to fit on VRAM entirely

look at the performance difference in the reviews where it is tested. little to no difference as we have seen so far
i believe it, especially given that they've already released a mining driver before fixing gaming drivers. I just dont see 30% coming out of this arch. i definitely see 10 to maybe 15%, maaybe 20% in a few years or in dx12 or vulkan, but not 30%

More Total War: Warhammer @ 1440p

This is what I got with my GTX 1080.

I didn't even close stuff like browsers when running these. How is the liquid cooled Vega getting such poor performance? Shouldn't it be better than that?

Isn't it supposed to be more or less equal to a GTX 1080? Warhammer is an AMD Gaming Evolved title even.

exactly. the only title i could think of would maybe be shadow of mordor at 4k+ with the ludicrous texture pack on there, or maybe heavily modded skyrim

All settings @ ultra, 8xAA, DoF ON, SSR ON

this is interesting. vega user, can we see an afterburner chart of clockspeeds, temps, power draw, etc.? interested to see where the card is really running

>

i really feel like the cpu is a limiting factor right now, especially for 1080p. OP is running around 1ghz slower than most other intel chips used for benchmarking as of now, which is probably contributing to at least a 10% drop in performance

If you're benching shit, try with AA off and high settings rather than ultra 16xAA that reviewers use. Especially if you can do 4k even if it's with a virtual resolution

FXAA, DoF ON, SSR ON

HOUSEFIRE BRIGADE REPORTING IN

Ok last one for Total War: Warhammer

FXAA, DoF OFF and SSR OFF (most favourable)

DX11 or 12?

Warhammer done on dx11, since I'm on win8.1 using win7 VEGA drivers.

I think it very well could be. I run an i5-6600k clocked to 4.4 and a gtx 1080 gaming x on a 144hz monitor (but only 1080 for now) and the CPU definitely can be the limiting factor in a handful of games when I check on afterburner. Gta5 is the obvious one but there are some others.

I plan to undervolt the vega according to the advice from the prev thread then re-bench - with MSI Afterburner running.

I will then try to oc the cpu + ram and test again.

>ask op for afterburner
>ask op for cpu oc
>op is aware of undervolting helping
>op plans to deliver
op is somewhat based

My previous card was a Sapphire rx480 8GB Nitro+, decent but for 1440p I need more power.

So why not a 1080ti ??

Nice. Based op.
To be fair, I think my i5 being the limiting factor is mainly due to only 4 cores, which of course isn't the case for you. But I do wonder if in poorly threaded games that a lower clockspeed can be a bottleneck.

I have the exact same card and it struggles at arma 3. I hope vega does better so I can consider a nano later.

>valley 1080p extreme hd
my 4790k + 1080ti scored 5700
fps etc idk, screenshot didn't save.

>heaven 1080p extreme hd
scored 3647, max fps 304, min 36.3

vega is a huge ass flop

* heaven avg fps was 144.8

holy shit, how old is the engine?

Titan X or Titan XP (not to be confused with Titan Xp)?

I ran into a few problems but it seems as though I was successful in overclocking the cpu to 4ghz and getting the ram to run at xmp-3002 (1501Mhzx2).

So far I only successfully re-benched Unigine Valley @ 1440p Ultra

Here are the screencaps of speccy, gpu-z and cpu-z for the above benchmark.

Why do you put windows nt like an autist?

Why does it say 4gb gpu?
Man this thread is so weird I'm getting anxious here

Valley @ 1140p Ultra 8xAA

meant to say 1440p

The benchmark picks the string to put there.