8GB is sufficient RAM for any desktop user on Sup Forums. 16+ is a waste

>he thinks he needs 32GB or 16GB

8GB is enough RAM, even if you are one of those gaymurtards.

Why does Sup Forums shill Thinkpads as being really cheap and a good deal while telling me to waste money on 16 or 32GB of pointless RAM?

I don't even use the full 4GB on my old laptop. At most it uses less than 2GB.

8GB is plenty. Stop trying to meme us into wasting money on RAM.

Okay OP.

>1473580578696.png
Not even your own screenshot. What's your agenda? I've never broken 3 GiB in normal usage, even with multiple Firefox tabs open.

wow, multiple firefox tabs.
do you actually do any serious work with your computer? I mean something other than posting your riced up arch linux in desktop threads

People actually have jobs that require more than the toaster oven you fap to hentai on hombre. Gtfo with your 8gb horseshite

Omfg what's with these stupid threads of "I don't need it therefore it's useless for everybody else xddddd"

No, 8gb isn't enough it you are trying to use, dunno, Premiere and Photoshop for example. Fuck this.

>8gb is enough
If you just want to go on facebook, sure.

People actually do other things with their computer

lmao dude made my day

>I don't need 16gb ram
>everyone is the same as me!!!
blow your brains out please

nice photoshop

I have randomized filename you retard.
All of that is firesucks and chrome eating up the whole RAM.
>What's your agenda?
lmao

Time update my iMac 27 to 24GB feel so fast.

Okay.

I also have multiple vim buffers open. And I don't use Arch nor rice, but nice fallacy. Name one valid reason for having +8 GiB RAM that isn't consumerism, playing video games, or PS artisan.
>randomized filename
>unix timestamp, same as filenames generated by Sup Forums
At least try, retard.

>t. Never programmed javaee

Thanks for proving you started posting last year.

>video editing
>a real job

>If you just want to go on facebook, sure.

Look at this retard.

Even 512MB is enough for Gaybook

>my shitty browser has 1000 tabs open for weeks at a time
>this is somehow normal

Fuck off, autismo

Why did you rename chrome.exe?

Chromium: Chrome without Google.
You can easily download it or build it on Wangblows.

Virtualisation.

>constantly max out the RAM on my laptop when using PS and After Effects (16GB)
>don't even edit the big stuff on the laptop
>usually max out the 32GB on my desktop when editing stuff for work in AE (because I also have other stuff open that I need to use in conjunction)
>at my last job where we had 64 gigs of ram on our workstations we would max them out pretty often due to big ass projects

>some linux ricer kiddie that doesn't even use his computer to work will tell me that I only /need/ 4GB of ram

Go fuck yourself retard.

people in 90s made better graphics with less than a gigabyte of ram than yall bloat shills.

But what if I do a lot of video editing and modelling with Blender?

>4chanx
It's still a timestamp exactly like I said, how am I supposed to believe you when its meant to mimic Sup Forums timestamps? But neat feature, prevents searching in the archives and tracking post history by image+filename, which can be unique a lot of the time.

yes its usually enough but not always. sometimes even just the web browser will use 99% of 12gb.

Ok, valid. But suppose you don't need this, or have a dedicated server and your main machine doesn't have such RAM needs? Sup Forums crossposters will still tell you that you need 32GB just because they do.

>Ok, valid. But suppose you don't need this, or have a dedicated server and your main machine doesn't have such RAM needs? Sup Forums crossposters will still tell you that you need 32GB just because they do.
Interesting -- I thought I was looking at a thread saying you don't need 32GB because the OP doesn't. Which sounds like the polar opposite of what you're saying.

>sometimes even just the web browser will use 99% of 12gb
Never happened.

there are no gamers on Sup Forums
gamers are at

>RAMlets will tell you that you don't need 16GB of ram
>Corelets will tell you that you don't need eight or more threads
>Graphicslets will tell you a 550 is sufficient for anything

I bet they are the same people that say that mechanical keyboards are not better to type on than rubberdomes and that high refresh rate monitors are placebo.

Bunch of 15 year old wannabee Sup Forumsentoomen that can't afford actual hardware.

>8GB is plenty. Stop trying to meme us into wasting money on RAM.

Adobe premiere ? unity ? cinema 4d ?

At least, fucking ginger, 2GB run your Farm simulator or candy crush saga

I doubt the things you're doing right now would be impossible to do if you had less memory available unless you're dealing with real-time computing.
Most often then not the main reason programs even use an absurd amount of memory is because devs just assume that everyone running the program will have an infinity amount of memory available and therefore do not make any kind of memory usage optimizations.

>video editing
>Adobe premiere ? unity ? cinema 4d ?
Not real work.

What about 12gib of ram?

The point is most people with +8GiB of RAM don't in fact "need" it.

Cringe

2GB is plenty for me. But then again, I don't do much on this laptop save for web browsing and IRC.

>tfw 2gb

>what are virtual machines

They don't know of this "Premiere" or "Photoshop" you speak of. It doesn't exist on Linux.

Being a PS artisan is not real work.

my FF easily eats over 8GB of ram

>being a neet
>insulting a perfectly dignified modern profession

Wew lad.

I sure get paid for it as if it was real work tho.

You contribute nothing to society or technology.

You are one of those fucking idiots who never turn down the computer only put it in sleep mode, also have milion tabs open because they are too stupid to bookmark right ?

They sound like COMMUNISM to me.

Lmfao who gives a shit about contributing anything? I just want money.

yep. nothing wrong with capitalism

8gb is fine when I'm hardly doing anything, but wtf is firefox's problem? I have literally two tabs and it's eating more than everything else combined

Cry more commie bastard.
Go tell people that they don't "need" 16GB of ram while you try to boot your ramlet, corelet cuckstation. I'll be over here earning money and playing games at 4k.

Your memory will pass into Oblivion, and after your funeral your name will not be uttered again

in your autistic rage, you missed my point entirely
bravo, retard

Neither will yours. Nobody will remember your shitty worthless "contributions" to the world of computers either, so I don't know why you act like that.

I'm not trying to make history, I'm trying to make money and live a comfy life.

Just buy how much you want for christ sakr

Poe's law. I've read enough "you don't need X" posts and commie sympathizing shit on Sup Forums to at this point make a distinction. Your post was very ambiguous.

>t. summerfag

>2017
>8GB
it was relevant 6 years ago

Only gam ok ng I really do is play Space Engineers and the game is riddled with bugs. Occasionally have memory leaking, so the game occupies more than 15 GB of my 24 GB RAM.

Nice meme.

16 gigs here, I reach +75% usage often. I analyze a lot of data and I don't want to close all programs before I start working.

Try to use 8GB of RAM in Android Studio.

>8gb for Linux
>8gb for Windows VM

I fail to see why Sup Forums thinks that should tell me how I spend my money.

>not having thinkpad with 16GB of RAM

you sound like the hoes that would get in a car only if it had a V12 engine and no backseats just to get their groceries

You sound like the person that would try to take a bike to the highway to do 200km travels.

Anyone use spare ram as a ramdisk?

Multitasking is becoming hard with 16gb of ram a couple of chrome tabs and some background stuff going on while gaming or what have you and you'll quickly run out of ram.

Fuck having to use a swap partition and wait longer for stuff to load in 2017+

>he fell for the 8GiB is enough meme

Better than being a NEET.

i used to but now i have a m.2 and it's fast enough for my tastes

>g4560 is greatest thing ever
>Don't buy an i3, it is crap, buy an i5
>Don't buy an i5, price performance is.so much better on i7
>You can get so many more cores on Ryzen, may as well spend a little extra corelet
>YOU NEED THREADRIPPER FOR YOUR SHIT POSTING FAGGOTS

just patch the game yourself

yeah I do this daily, sure 8GB is enough man

It's fucking amazing that Wii U emulation got so usable so fast. Too bad it's not FOSS. Gonna have to wait until Decaf becomes decent, AKA never ever :^(

I use VMs pretty regularly and do some heavy simulations for my work. We're not all NEETs here.

Some people run virtual machines, you know. That is where having lots of RAM comes in handy

Where did you get that wallpaper from?

What wallpaper?

>qBittorrent is downloading 30GB of stuff overnight
>in the morning after I saw downloading is finished I closed the client and put laptop to sleep
>come from work, laptop is slow as fuck
>check RAM usage
>qBitorrent is using over 6GB of RAM
>7.5GB/8GB is taken
>muh over 8GB is a meme
Yea, fuck you, price is not even a problem today to get 16GB.

Tbh 512mb is enough if you use more you are a hedonist.

lad

I regret only buying 8gb of ram for a low-end gaming machine.

Ryzen costs less than i5/7 counterparts tho

>he thinks chromium doesn't send all his information to google

>sleep mode

lol

Really, in what scenarios? 500 tabs open?

I've been using 8gb since 2011 and never had an issue with usage. A game at most will use 4gb ram.

Most I've seen used is 6-7gb used with Windows + background tasks + bf1 open, one of the most ram hungry games

It's the iPhone effect, when something new and cool comes out suddenly your old hardware is shit and people try and justify upgrading even if there isn't a huge difference.
>Before Ryzen
>i3's are ok, i5's are great for gaming. i7's are even better but it's usually not worth the price increase
>After Ryzen
i5's are literally unplayable! i7's are just barely playable, you need a minimum of 6 cores now to play games or even shitpost on Sup Forums.
>After Threadripper
I need 16 cores to rice my Gentoo/i3 setup! Holy shit I can compile Linux and transcode anime 10% faster, this is totally worth $1000!

>even with multiple Firefox tabs
I thought this was an 18+ board

>living in neeetbux
>achievement
Pick one and only one, retard

I'll buy 32gb just so you can sperg out like a bitch autist.

>8 gigs is enough

not for me

>start off with 8gb
>works ok for your needs
>good, leave it at that

Or

>this thing is spluttering
>go and buy more ram

Why do some people consider this to be mental gymnastics?

I have 16GB, so I tested out a typical scenario of a PC user. With 10 tabs open in Chrome, music playing, Steam open, playing Playerunknown's Battlegrounds, I was hitting about 10-11GB of RAM. And this is with relatively little bloat, if I had OEM trash running it would be even worse. So yeah, if you play modern games I don't think 8GB is enough.

>i dont know how RAM works

I maxed out 16gb too easy managed to get 8gb "legacy" ddr3 premium, would have been cool to get 16 though.
I bet you just do the same thing every day on your pc. open notepad and monitor how your ram isn't being used.
I have 3 browswers open, vids loaded, pictures open in multiple instances and the odd game loaded sometimes.
100s of tabs across 3 browsers with 0+ youtube vids.
80+ threads on Sup Forums.
Endless shopping links when trying to decide on the best deal.

>IDE + several dozen Chrome tabs open, some of them with videos or flash content + Skype + music player + occasional vidya
>8GB is enough
Nah. I use 6-8GB minimum, and I regularly use upward of 12GB

I hit the page file on 8gb with just gtav, discord and firefox