/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X220-Tablet-4298-AA3-Intel-Core-i5-2520M-250GB-HDD-4GB-RAM/292212841129?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=16152&acctid=432
youtube.com/watch?v=kPXwhL0w-C8
amazon.com/MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1-SAMSUNG-128GB-SATA-45N7952-45N7953/dp/B00L1HX7OC/
amazon.com/Super-Talent-DuraDrive-128GB-FEU128MD1X/dp/B00TPLKQLS/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834332743&cm_re=lenovo_t430-_-34-332-743-_-Product
m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430s-Intel-Core-i7-3520M-2-90GHz-160-GB-SSD-4GB-RAM-Windows-10-/152666609911?hash=item238ba398f7:g:AM0AAOSwSCZZfmPO&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac64dc3a1-83af-11e7-a020-74dbd18017c3%7Cparentrq%3Af2d5790015d0aa4910e31775fffaa93e%7Ciid%3A1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for W530

Just pulled the trigger on an x200t for light browsing and on-the-go shitposting. Final price hovered a little over $75 and the laptop seems in pretty decent shape (a scuff here and there, but nothing a little elbow grease won't vanquish).
Delivery should be making its way up north fairly soon.
Any anons use the x200t? Would love to hear stories/view comfy pics to get hype.

Post vismods pls, I need inspiration. Stickers, velcro, paintjobs any kind of visual enhancements.

I got lucky and snagged a Thinkpad T-530 with a i7-3840qm processor for 270 dollaroos. I wanted to replace the keyboard with a classic one, but I heard news that some of the functions on the keyboard do not play well with the T-530. Anybody have a similar problem?

How's linux on the dell precision m4800? Anyone have experience with it?

I got a m4500 and it ran well. Most of these older laptops run well with linux, it is the newer ones with newer drivers that are a problem.

thanks m8

$102 + $15 shipping for a x220 tablet i5, 320GB, 2GB ram. I fucked up guys, didn't I ?

>2gb ram

you done goofed

hell it just means hes tossing less ram once he gets 2x8gb@1866mhz

Thx friendo

How bad is the 768p TN on the x230?

am I a pleb if I like lenovo's chicklets?

piss awful. the bare minimum level of outputting visual data to a human eye. immediately start saving up for an ips panel to replace it. doesn't matter which ips, my cheap counterfeit chinkass ghostorama panel is still a joy in comparison to that fucking tn

good laptop otherwise you should buy one

So I have been comparing thinkpad's old third gen and 2nd gen processors with current processors... Why is the difference so small after 5 yrs? Only thing we seemed to have improved on is integrated graphics and gimping performance in favor of battery life. Are we going backwards?

In an objective manner, what is actually the big advantage that modern mobile cpus have over these old one?

So this wouldn't really bother me but one of the locks in the screen bezel is broken too. Can I get a new bezel to replace it?

Nothing wrong with them, as long as we're still talking Thinkpad keyboards. The feel is on par with or better than the --20 keyboard. The layout is balls and the B key is misaligned which triggers my autism to no end, but otherwise they're still the best laptop keyboards on the market.

I would just say at that point look online for a cheap thinkpad with ur model and switch their casing out.

i would say at that point keep it cause that shit is badass

Is the T430 the best option for a mid-size ThinkPad with physical trackpad buttons?

>I would just say at that point look online for a cheap thinkpad with ur model and switch their casing out.
>Solution: buy an other laptop... so you can salvage its casing.
Are you mental?

Have you checked aliexpress or ebay for replacement parts?

I guess, but T530 is definitely doable with an extended battery. You can go around walking like an autist holding onto the butt of the battery. I did it in college...

>I would just say at that point look online for a cheap thinkpad with ur model and switch their casing out.
>Solution: buy an other laptop... so you can salvage its casing.
>Are you mental?
Did it with a T520 because noone was selling replacement parts for it at the time. I also got a sweet 1080 screen with it.

I sure love my T420.

Congrats the madman figured it out. He figured out why people still buy old thinkpads.

Like you said, Intel has mainly made improvements to power efficiency and iGPU with only marginal performance gains. Those ULV Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs use significantly less power than the full-voltage Ivy Bridge you're comparing them to. In theory, you'd get far better battery life and lower temperatures out of a laptop with one of the newer CPUs, but batteries and coolers have been gimped in the pursuit of muh thin and light, so the improvement is less noticeable than you'd think.

And while the iGPU itself has improved considerably, a lot of newer laptops only have one RAM slot or totally soldered RAM, so you can't get dual channel speeds. The X240 performs significantly worse than the X230 because of this, its iGPU isn't better enough compared with the X230's to make up for the halved VRAM bandwidth.

this is the listing I meant ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X220-Tablet-4298-AA3-Intel-Core-i5-2520M-250GB-HDD-4GB-RAM/292212841129?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

did... did I do good guys?

Question:
Do you go with your thinkpads in public and are you embarrassed of pulling out these heavy brick looking laptops?

just swapped my t420's screen with one of those alienware ones. night and day difference. gets way brighter and the viewing angles are better.

not bad friend

You severely overestimate how much of a shit anybody gives about you or your things. Especially Thinkpads, which are all but designed to avoid attention.

You paid way too much.........

I bet it only is a 1366 x 768 display :-(

Less embarrassed then I was of my faggy macbook air

>he fell for it
thanks for the (You)

(You) too buddy. Have another one on the house.

nah, that's a good deal fren
if it's broken you can just get ur money back if you bought it on eBay
ram upgrade and you'll be on your way bro

>at moms house
>"hey user wheres that new laptop you just bought"
>show her my t420
>"we have those at work they are junk why would you want to use that over your macbook"

>said macbook is 7 years old at this point and can't properly run linux due to novidia graphics and power management issues

Is latitude d810 Sup Forums?

If any of you lads are in Maryland within driving distance of annapolis keep and eye on
govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=16152&acctid=432
the seller also has some other neat things like a lot of 24 T540p without the hard drives.

I'm using the x61 tablet for some note taking with onenote. I'm having a problem because it is difficult to navigate the page and also draw on the page with the Wacom pen, because it is not a touch screen, only the Wacom screen. Is there a workaround for this so I can hold and drag across the page without just drawing?

I guess I could use a mouse with one hand and write with the other (heathen lefty here)

What's the average longevity of an older model, specifically the x230? I'd like to know before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

What is this?

Docking station port.

Wow, you must be fresh

NSA government quick system hack port

owo

t410 for 100 euros
i5, 6gb ram, 500gb hdd
should i?

>pulling the trigger

this shit needs to stop. shut the fuck up.

What Sup Forums think about X1 Carbon?

Is it a good thinkpad?

pull the trigger user

I'm gonna pull your trigger if you catch what I'm throwing

Can I upgrade the HDD of an elitebook 2540p?
What should I look for?

a thinkpad

>elitebook 2540p
youtube.com/watch?v=kPXwhL0w-C8
amazon.com/MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1-SAMSUNG-128GB-SATA-45N7952-45N7953/dp/B00L1HX7OC/
amazon.com/Super-Talent-DuraDrive-128GB-FEU128MD1X/dp/B00TPLKQLS/

I like my W520, but it's so fucking big and clunky.

How do I pimp it out?

Hows that T430 replacement screen tech going guys?

G-guys..

never ever, sell it and join the W520 patricians while you can

no way hose, my chances of finding another decent priced Pad in the UK, let alone any from the W series, are damn slim

Yes.

>T420 arrives
>planning to install CloverOS
>no thread up and the website is dead
fug

Is this an okay deal? Just looking for something to plink around on doesn't need to be super fast. I'll probably be putting a cheap ssd and more ram in it eventually.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834332743&cm_re=lenovo_t430-_-34-332-743-_-Product

that's a bit steep...they can usually be found for under $150 pretty easily

There's a T430 for 200 (Free shipping) with an i7 and an SSD(America)
m.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430s-Intel-Core-i7-3520M-2-90GHz-160-GB-SSD-4GB-RAM-Windows-10-/152666609911?hash=item238ba398f7:g:AM0AAOSwSCZZfmPO&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac64dc3a1-83af-11e7-a020-74dbd18017c3%7Cparentrq%3Af2d5790015d0aa4910e31775fffaa93e%7Ciid%3A1

I have a t420 and w530 I want to get more Thinkpads. I'm thinking about getting a w520 but it's similar to my w530. What Thinkpad would you recommend?

Get a x61 or x41 for the retro feel
Or an x220 if you just want a smaller form factor

i want an owo port

where do i get an owo port

bottom of thinkpade

what are the idle temps for a thinkpad x220 i read the x series runs hot

Bump

Why do people always recommend the x230 over the x220, the t430 over the t420, and the t530 over the t520? The performance difference is tiny, is there some aesthetic thing I'm not aware of?

Incredibly better integrated graphics.

Pls help, I'm trying to Hackintosh an X220 but I don't have a Mac. How do I make the boot USB?

ask a friend, or find a torrent.

I'm on vacation so no friends, do you know of a torrent?

thanks, I just looked it up

that is quite the difference

Which is the best QM processor to get for my T420 from a price/performance standpoint?

Fucking google it

>integrated graphics performance difference is not tiny
>dedicated graphics, if you want that, are also much better than the _20 options
>lower temps/less throttling, and higher end processors are significantly better
>usb3.0 in all models
And desu I kinda like the new keyboard. The keys still curve in so still type really nice and I find myself doing less typos than the classic keyboard

Because after the T430 generation they switched to ULV CPUs which are much lower power draw but also weaker as a result

Can I put an i7-3920XM on a T430? Is it safe?

Found one, thanks.

what's the best performing retro looking thinkpad i can get for 250 or less?

bump

I have too many ThinkPads, what alternative OSs should I install? I already have Haiku on my X220 and TempleOS on my T60, as well as OpenIndiana on my System76.

$110 for T420 (i5, 1366x768)

Currently in desperate need of a cheap laptop for graduate school. Should I do it?

That's kind of expensive, mine was similar at $62.

I thought it was alright, it well under the thinkpad buying guide's auction price

I like my W520, however I'm not too fond of the keyboard or screen.
Is it possible to get a better screen and an alternative keyboard?
I've looked up keyboards, but they're all the same original ones.
For the screen, I feel like it's too dim. I was hoping for something more brighter, fresh, and crisp.

Friend has an HP EliteBook Folio 9480m that I like. Tried it out and thought it was nice, and they seem cheap considering what they are. I want a laptop that I can use to word process and maybe play some starcraft 2 during lunch.

Yay or neh?

Want a laptop with at least 1600x900 resolution and can get for a good price. I really like the nipple on ThinkPads but are Dells any better or are they the same? I'll just be using it for school really.

What are you using your pre Lenovo thinkpad for /tpg/?

G40 is good for dicking around in AutoCAD

all ive been doing all day with it, after i found this 1280x1024 monitor anyway, is making weird shit

this is what happens when you make a polar array of circles on the right side of a host circle, 359 times in a 360 degree radius
and then zoom into the center to see the render errors at that zoom level make some neat shapes

after this i think im gonna design a neat desk, and then after that, a wooden horizontal computer case, beacuse the one LGR reviewed was overpriced garbage

and then every time you regen it you get a new pattern
i feel like theres a lot of math here that i will never understand
but im a casual novice hobbyist, not a professional

How much would I be losing in terms of useability if I opted for a X60 instead of an X220? No lenovo trampstamp seems cool but I'd be getting a core 2 duo and 4 gb of ram which seems really weak.

X230 is really comfy. I've got a great desktop but this I can shitpost and play my backlog in bed while munching.
Win7 is a bitch compared to Ubuntu but the battery life is a little better. And classic theme is the way to go.

I just got a fully decked out t420 and I already want to buy a x230 tablet. Could probably afford it by selling one of my 3.60 vitas and some other junk I'm not using.

You can use cpufreq-utils throttle the CPU down to

you forgot
>shit locked bios