/wt/ - watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=mBFI8ScdE4E

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

revolution.watch/budget-recommendations-from-watchmaking-grandmasters/?old-article
ebay.com/itm/XXL-MILITARY-AVIATORs-Fliegeruhr-B-Uhr-Beobachtungsuhr-Luftwaffe-42mm-NatoStrap/381066142528?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=41376&meid=95f95508986c471b8180959b0153094b&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=380390883723&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>15 posts before bump limit
>Changed the OP video

How based are Casio DB-E30D?

Not as based as the a158.
Is that case plastic too?

Seems like it...

Wouldn't spend over 20 bucks on anything with a plastic case.

Absolutely wonderful, full of class, can't go wrong with a Casio digital watch

Holiday sales cant come soon enough.

What do you have in the mail wt?

I've got:

2 elgin movements (don't run for more than an hour)
2 seiko movements
1 citizen movement (broken)
1 shitty Chinese moon phase movement

And a copernic, assembled. Also pic related is stuck in customs and that is not my wrist

This.

I'm not participating in this one. I'm sure it will be chock full of shitposts in less than an hour.

Could you fix my bagel?

>quartz chrono
Disgusting

>What do you have in the mail wt?
A 5206 LM Special.

whatever grandpa

I have a couple of natos and a shark leather strap stuck in customs. I haven't heard anything from anyone but the tracking hasn't updated for a fortnight now. Emailed and called to no result.

What's wrong with it?
Jealous. Does the date work properly?
What country are you in? Are leather imports hard ?

I'm really debating getting a quarts GS of Seiya Japan but at the same time I'm worried my mechanical autism with kick in at the ticking second hand

Crown doesn't screw in fully, ticks VERY loudly and it loses like 40 minutes per day.

Well I guess that's a bagel for you. Honestly I'm pretty shit I just know specific movements and that's about it. Better off buying a new one

>sub-second graduations and scales on a quartz watch
Tacky, tasteless, shit.

Some guy the other day (week) wanted a pic of my watch on my wrist and I just remembered now (earlier this morning at the gym).
>inb4 Invicta
It was a gift and it's not too bad of a watch. I get why people hate on it and can't say I would buy on myself personally but it got me into watches and now I know.

>Does the date work properly?
As far as I know it does yeah. I think it's set to 10.55pm in the pic so it's not far off changing.

I actually just ordered one. I wanted a cheap beater with a decent movement so i kept looking at the skx and the amphibian. With regulation the vostok movement can be sort of accurate but it sort of sucks. The skx is great but the movement sucks.. i kept going back and forth until i remembered the invicta.. Better seiko movement than skx.. 200 meters water resistant.. better lume than vostok. shipped to my house for 80 dollars. excellent beater for 80 bucks. Wear it camping swimming cooking etc.. dont even think about it or care if it gets damged.

My dentist is trying to meme into buying a tag heuer. He's got one and he knows it that I like that brand a lot.
But aren't tag's overpriced ?

>Tag heuer
Buy a Heuer Skipper and show him what's up

Tag is dogshit
Heuer is Tudor tier

>No diner for the next 2 years

Cosmotron 7803

You know the solution, user.

what do u guys think

Proof that seiko makes shitters too.

lol that was the straw that broke the camels back lol

>starting and ending the sentence with 'lol'

whats wrong with it other than the shit band

Vomit inducing bezel, two tone garbage

recommend me a better one that has a blue face and yellow dial pls

>a blue face and yellow dial

this with a better bezel i like the way this looks

Why would you ever take a display picture of a watch when the day was changing. Retarded.

Can't help you, sorry. My taste just isn't shitty enough.

The confusion is because "face" and "dial" are synonymous when talking about watches. If you mean blue dial and gold indices, then find someone willing to sell their LE orion.

Nomos is soft dogshit fucker. Don't ever recommend them to anyone.

That pretentious wanker company needs to burn to the fuckin ground.

Shhh, I'm trying to bait the fucker into buying something that's inevitably going to be way overpriced.

is this the same as the regular poljot?

autist autistron made by Bulova

> Bulova
?????

lol well memed

revolution.watch/budget-recommendations-from-watchmaking-grandmasters/?old-article
>Philippe Dufour: I would say that you could buy at this price, maybe a bit less, a very good watch in terms of value and quality. It’s not Swiss — sorry — [but] a German brand called NOMOS. I found that this brand makes a very serious product. I like these watches, and for somebody who wants to start, I think this will be a good [choice]: not too expensive and good value for money.

Does he mention that buyers need to be ready to take a SERIOUS hit on RRP on the 2nd hand market? Pure dogshit.

No because he's a respectable bloke who doesn't want to talk shit about other brands.

He isn't on Sup Forums you nigger.

(You)

No worries if you don't have anything to offer mate.

Filthy cunter

I have never entered this argument on any of these threads but i honestly have no idea why people don't like nomos. they make decent watches with good in house movements. they are well made and finished to a pretty high standard as well. They charge in the low thousands for watches.. What is the problem here?

>quote where dufour is directly shitting on swiss watches
>doesn't want to talk shit about other brands

Here are the simple facts: Nomos are literally the first new company to develop the capacity to design and manufacture mechanical movements including escapements on a series production basis since the 1960s. They join Raketa, Vostok, Orient, Citizen, Seiko, ETA, Damasko and Rolex as the only non haute horlogerie companies capable of this.

Developing this capability took a several year and ~12 million Euro investment in escapements and a further ~2 million Euro investment in designing the ultra-thin DUW 3001 calibre. These are enormous investments from a company with an annual sales volume of 10,000 - 20,000 units, and as a result must necessarily be reflected in increased unit prices.

In an affordable luxury watch market heavily dominated by Chinese-cased ETA-powered marketing-driven shitters, any watchmaker that makes the investments required to become a manufacture and actually increase the technical diversity of series produced mechanical movements should be applauded no matter whether you like the aesthetics of their product line. To the extent that Nomos succeeds by following this path, it may serve to encourage more investment in the technical aspects of watchmaking by other companies rather than just investing in more value engineering (i.e. cost-cutting) and more advertising.

Just in the last 10 years we have gone from a $1,000-$4,000 market where every single watch was powered by an ETA movement to one where you can now choose between ETA, Tudor, Nomos, and Seiko (8rXXs, 8LXXs) and Damaskos. How can this development be regarded as bad for people interested in horology, regardless of whether you would personally buy any of those watches yourself? If only Miyota and Seiko would add micro-adjuster models to their ebauche offerings and Tudor would begin to use their in-house movement in more models, we could return to an era of real competition in movements in production watches not seen since the glory days of the 1970s.

83grams

help me find something cool for $100

>Anime
Jesus, could you just fucking neck yourself already?

>saying this on a weeb website
Look where you are faggot.

What genre/style of watch are you looking for? Movement type?

i really like this kind of aviator shit but i think this is a poljot remake

Well the SNK 809 is the default meme watch if you want a pilot style on a budget. Parnis also makes clones of the IWC model.

should i get
ebay.com/itm/XXL-MILITARY-AVIATORs-Fliegeruhr-B-Uhr-Beobachtungsuhr-Luftwaffe-42mm-NatoStrap/381066142528?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=41376&meid=95f95508986c471b8180959b0153094b&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=380390883723&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

How big is your wrist?

a little over 7 inches

the snk is a field watch and pilots watch now? wow ...

do not buy a fucking seiko.. that watch is at least interesting and cheap.. try that out.

He said pilot style. It has a dial similar to a pilot flieger type b dial.

Should not be too big then. Lug to lug looks to be 49mm. For that price I say go for it if you don't mind the quartz.

Are you saying you don't see the similarities between the Seiko and a B-Uhr styled Flieger? I don't know about you man, but when I think of a field watch I think of something like this.

i mean i have a stupid vintage watch that is over 10,000+ sec/day so i could care less about if it's like 20-30+/- sec/day. as long as i have to only adjust it every day or so i don't care.

$120 70's Seiko penis quartz in minty condition or the new Seiko Cocktail time with stunning blue dial for $338

Post a pic of the penis quartz. If it has a nice textured dial I'd lean towards that.

post penis quartz

Imagine being so much a wristlet that a 37mm watch looks like a 47mm one.

thats gotta be a women or a chink

looks photoshopped

u fucking retarded?

i bought dis one guys

He is right. His pic is a more traditional field watch style, the Seiko above takes more design cues from the B dial fliegers than field watches imo.

Post pics when you get it friend

Fingers cross there isn't any Cyrillic on the movement.

Field watch dial

Flieger B-dial on the left, Flieger A-dial on the right

Here compare this to these Which does it look most like?

Calm your autism. It is a combination of sorts. Field watches borrowing design queues from pilot watches is not that hard a concept to understand. They are both in similar realms.

Pure class on the manufacturing video, a must watch for those interested in the labour that goes in to producing such a magnificent piece of horological history.

They only similarity really is that they are easy to read watches. Design is very different and the purpose of the designs are quite different. But sure they are the same. Go you buddy.

So I assume with a mechanical watch, it's relatively easy to gauge the quality based on how it's physically put together (or something similar). Mechanical watches also require very complex engineering as the list of features goes up.
But how do you gauge a digital watch? Most features are dirt cheap to implement, and the materials/engineering is at a base level much lower in requirement. So what separates something super high end from a cheap casio?

I mean, maybe I'm absolutely wrong about this, and if I am I'd love to learn about how things actually are. But from where I'm standing, all digitals seem to sort of bleed into each other.

some user posted this last thread and nobody called him a wristlet, wow you guys are slipping

43mm right?

>shaving your arms

for what purpose

i'm so used to wearing 38mm now anything bigger then the Casio Duro i feel like i'm wearing a fucking clock.

I see nothing wrong with this one.

More like no one called out wearing it on the hand.

what do you guys think? it's some weird timex I've never seen before. "originals" or something like that. copped for $40

Bleh. Only contemporary Timex worth getting is this bad boy.

Guys help I have begun to unironically enjoy this nato.

doesn't fit the watch but yeah it's a good strap