Linux is abandonware

Linux is abandonware.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/littlekernel/lk
github.com/fuchsia-mirror/magenta
harmful.cat-v.org/software/andy_tanenbaum
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why are people so enthusiastic about this shit coming to reality? An OS even more proprietary than Android? Putting your personal information in the hands of an advertising company that's openly working with the government? Fuck this shit.

>awoo
Opinion disregarded

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>micokernel
literally fucking nothing
inb4 people fall for the microkernel meme

How can I not use it on my next phone?

Microkernels are to kernels what purely functional languages are to systems programming. They're great on paper, can be shoehorned into "working" for a given task (once the goalposts have been moved), but never work out in the long run. Within a year of release it'll be a "hybrid" kernel, and then manufacturers will just load all of their modules from their own separate monolithic blob, ignoring the way they were supposed to do it.

It will be dead within 3 years of release (first production handset sold).

Let's hope and pray this is the case.

Mobile Phones: Linux is Android, which violates GPL every day, and RMS and other freetards bend the knee because it's Google and Samsung, the biggest contributors to Linux

Servers: People tend to use cloud services now, and these cloud services are made efficient, so they will switch to whichever platform suits them better. Linux is strong because of the ubiquity and ease of finding people capable of dealing with it. These big companies can employ people 24/7 that can find a better solution, and often BSD's and other UNIX (or even non-UNIX) kernels are better. Containerization also opens doors to non-Linux containers, e.g. FreeBSD, and the whole "just enough OS movement".

Goodbye RMS, we don't need you anymore!

>RTOS
it's useless for real systems

LAMO!

Nope!

Also, don't use RT calls, without using them, it's just a regular OS.

brainlet here, wouldn't it be viable to simply load the modules you need in order to run the system before loading everything else for faster boot times?

Also, i dont think it'll die that hard, in fact, i think that it will be the da

It's not only being "faster boot time", it's also more reliable.

>don't use RT calls
What OS is left?

i thought microkernels were more reliable because they promoted self-healing, and prevented a system crash because of a singular driver failure?

That's it.

I'm advocating for microkernels, not against.

I'm excited to see a new operating system.

kys rms. he was referring to the kernel not your GNU/Shit toolset

Everyone is realising that GPL is cancer incarnate, Ballmar was right

What's wrong with GPL?

Why are you sperging out? The licenses are all GPL compatible

It allows Chinese companies to steal all your code but not American companies

This

Linux is obsolete

>Google
>the biggest contributors to Linux

All modern ooerating systems are abandonware

One the biggest, idiot.

The irony is strong with this one.

It's this thread again

Oh baby he still hasn't seen it

Most of those companies are probably only contributing drivers.

So? It's not as if the kernel itself needs to be muh gratuitously improved and userland broken every five minutes.

>new micro kernel
>forked BSD
>new

Hmmm.

>not GPL
dropped.

this is a grab from google to get a hold of a technology they dont need to fully design

>hey guys its "open-source" please contribute :^)

>get cuked like sony/nintendo/apple does to bsd devs

well they can try, might be beneficial to Linux

What's the difference between a monokernel with a crashed disk driver, and a microkernel with a crashed disk driver?
One will panic with useful debugging information shown.
The other is completely fucked with no useful info.

Guess which is which?
Pro-tip: the first one is a monokernel.
The moral of the story though, is that both are completely fucked and microkernels only offer more complexity, not reliability.

Bro but do you realize how bad ass an os with capability based security would be?

>FUCKS YA
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
*gasp*
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>GOOGLE FUCKS YA
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

It's not forked from BSD

It's forked from an RTOS
github.com/littlekernel/lk

Stupid Americans.

>google steals another kernel
Not surprised at all.
LK should've been GPL'd.

Better this way.

Hence the only way to benefit from new kernel research in the last decade is to write a new kernel, hence Fuchsia

Hey, but I work for None!

hmmmm

The lk author is a fuschia dev

All Google projects lately have been failing. What will make this one successful?

Why would they do this to linux?

linux sux

And that makes various flavors of MIT and Apache better alternatives how?

Literally who cares.

>rewriting in c++
DOA

Oh I see the (((Google))) shill is back in full force. Shouldn't you be busy removing (((hate speech))) instead?

>Microkernel
DOA
D.O.A.

Say it with me: D.O.A.

>half line
>full force
High effort b8 from low power faggots.

Micro kernel
D O A
O
A

>Linux is abandonware.
Yeah, good luck competing with linux. So long as it's free and open source. This will be a nice competition

>Microkernel
kek

D O A
O
A

There's no rewriting in c++ going on

github.com/fuchsia-mirror/magenta
magenta is the fuchsia kernel built on top of lk

Thanks for the bump.
cuck :^)[code/]

This

But linux is free why would you put googles cock in your ass voluntarily.

>There's no rewriting in c++ going on
Yes. It's done and literally nobody will give a flying shit about magenta and the latest google abomination.

Linux only needs a pretty gui that covers all features.

And a better filled software center that doesnt shit itself (unlike the Ubuntu one).

And updates that dont break the gui.

Most people already blacked by google with android.

>And updates that dont break the gui.
Been using Manjaro with Cinnamon for a while, never broke a thing

If people didn't want their OS to break after an update they wouldn't be using Windows to begin with

>googol
>os

Fuck off.

Because you didn't used pacman -Syyu.

>Not knowing English
No wonder you fuck shit up, pajeet.

>It's ludicrous how micro-kernel proponents claim that their system is "simpler" than a traditional kernel. It's not. It's much much more complicated, exactly because of the barriers that it has raised between data structures.

>The fundamental result of access space separation is that you can't share data structures. That means that you can't share locking, it means that you must copy any shared data, and that in turn means that you have a much harder time handling coherency. All your algorithms basically end up being distributed algorithms.

>And anybody who tells you that distributed algorithms are "simpler" is just so full of sh*t that it's not even funny.

>Microkernels are much harder to write and maintain exactly because of this issue. You can do simple things easily - and in particular, you can do things where the information only passes in one direction quite easily, but anything else is much much harder, because there is no "shared state" (by design). And in the absence of shared state, you have a hell of a lot of problems trying to make any decision that spans more than one entity in the system.

>And I'm not just saying that. This is a fact. It's a fact that has been shown in practice over and over again, not just in kernels. But it's been shown in operating systems too - and not just once. The whole "microkernels are simpler" argument is just bull, and it is clearly shown to be bull by the fact that whenever you compare the speed of development of a microkernel and a traditional kernel, the traditional kernel wins. By a huge amount, too.

The whole argument that microkernels are somehow "more secure" or "more stable" is also total crap. The fact that each individual piece is simple and secure does not make the aggregate either simple or secure. And the argument that you can "just reload" a failed service and not take the whole system down is equally flawed.

Said by Linus Torvalds himself. Google BTFO

I saw the armadillo preview, and I have to say, something about Google's material design does not work well with hardware. Something about the animations are always stilted and laggy, and they don't feel or look smooth at all. I can legitmately see the individual frames used to create the animation, which I shouldn't be able to (despite the animation background I have). Take iOS or BBOS, for example, for they rarely have that problem. Maybe it's the shadow rendering?

there is not security if google is behind it

>While I could go into a long story here about the relative merits of the two designs, suffice it to say that among the people who actually design operating systems, the debate is essentially over. Microkernels have won.
>The only real argument for monolithic systems was performance, and there is now enough evidence showing that microkernel systems can be just as fast as monolithic systems (e.g., Rick Rashid has published papers comparing Mach 3.0 to monolithic systems) that it is now all over but the shoutin`.

>In a microkernel-based system, the file system and memory management are separate processes, running outside the kernel. The I/O drivers are also separate processes.
>LINUX is a monolithic style system. This is a giant step back into the 1970s. That is like taking an existing, working C program and rewriting it in BASIC. To me, writing a monolithic system after the '80s is a truly poor idea.
>Also I think it is a gross error to design an OS for any specific architecture, since that is not going to be around all that long. LINUX is tied fairly closely to the 80x86. Not the way to go.

t. Dr. Andrew Tanenbaum, Doctor of Astrophysics, Berkeley, BSc Computer Science, MIT.

>True, linux is monolithic, and I agree that microkernels are nicer.
>From a theoretical (and aesthetical) standpoint linux looses. Linux's primary merit is that it's available now.

>I also agree that linux takes the non-portability to an extreme: I got my 386 last January, and linux was partly a project to teach me about
it. Many things should have been done more portably if it would have been a real project. I'm not making overly many excuses about it though: it was a design decision.

t. Linus Benedicked Torvalds, University of Suomistan graduate after struggling 8 years for his MSc.

>Tanenbaum's entire argument is "it's the current year"

It's been thirty fucking years. Microkernels have been tried more times than we can probably count, and outside of very specialized applications, all of the supposed benefits have proven to be solutions to problems that didn't exist to begin with as long as you write the fucking kernel code correctly. They are the OO of systems programming.

harmful.cat-v.org/software/andy_tanenbaum

I'm surprised Google didn't fork GNU/Hurd instead.