/pcbg/ - PC Bulding General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega GONE.

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6G
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=396,164,394&sort=price&page=1
blog.logicalincrements.com/2017/08/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-1920x-vs-intel-core-i9-7900x/
gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3023-aib-partners-to-gn-yes-vega-price-will-change
twitter.com/AnonBabble

need to repaste cpu/gpu. air cooled, want non-conductive only

NT-H1 $6
Hydronaut $8
Kryonaut $12

Also why isn't noctua paste brown?

threadripper is already cucked

>no i5's

>$200 i5-7600k is better in single and mc gaming than 1800x and below

are they tied for 2nd overall?

gaymen gaymen gaymen gaymen

>mc gaming
meincuaf gaymin?

minecraft

mienquaf? plz play on my servar

look at the price

also memeripper mobos are over 300 dollars for the cheapest

more than 100 over 299x

so for 800 dollars you have a faster computer + the 1080ti which is also still the fastest GPU well over both VEGAs

vs 1300 right off the top for just the CPU and Mobo memeripper (all other ryzens are even slower than just this CPU)

I have a 1000W semi-fanless PSU powering my 500W system. It is fanless most of the time, but sometimes under heavy load it turns the fan on. It's currently in my system upside down, with the fan pointed downwards breathing through the bottom of my case.

If I flip it up to face upwards, will it run cooler and turn the fan on less often? I get this kind of sounds like a 'go do it and find out xdddd' thing, but I have my cable management set up to where if I turn it around I'd need to undo a bunch of my cable management, and I can't be bothered. I'm also a bit concerned about it breathing hot air onto my GPU.

come to /pcbg/ to ask a pc building related question
a bunch of know nothing pubescent shitposters instead
it will run the coolest breathing ambient air. make sure the filter is clean, nothing is blocking the exhaust is the best you can do as long as there is sufficient space under to breath

quit being an angsty retard user.

No one wants to answer your shitty question

>know nothing

I'm about to get $1000 from an insurance company for damages to my car(which wasn't much anyway, so I will have about 500 left). Which GPU is better to buy? The Vega 56 or the 1070? Is it worth supplementing some more cash for a 1080 or a 1080ti?

i would just get the 1070, because more options and reference card no. 1080 or 1080 ti depends on what you will be using it for.

If i wanted to build a PC instead of
What should i be getting?

>rx560
>power gap
>1050
>power gap
>1050ti
>power gap
>1060

how fucked are budget builders right now when this is the shit you are forced to pick from? literally meme shit until you get to the 1060

I swapped my old GPU into my new PC, so my old PC is otherwise complete, just minus a GPU.

CPU is FX-8320, any suggestions for what to do with it? What would a ~$50 gpu be like? Should I consider used GPUs? What do, /pcbg/?

Similar question here but on a i5-2400...
I only got $50-60 bucks to spend because im a literally burger flipper at McDonald's...i dont mind buying used

>its better because user benchmarks lists higher clockspeeds

Kek

I'm not debating your claims, but being able to use snip and knowing that one number is bigger than the other doesn't actually constitute a lot of pc building knowledge. There are plenty of threads to shitpost in children

Got the hydronaut.
Here's a good list for anyone shopping thermal compunds
overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6G

Is the i3-7100 still good for a browsing/office pc? Is there something with better tdp on the horizon?

No integrated GPU?

>im not doubting the facts
>continues to dance around

>its better because these actual real world tests show its consistently better, kek

>buying an i3 for browsing

the 3930 is all you need

Will be using it for some gaymes and video. But between the Vega 56 and 1070, are there any advantages one has over the other?

GTX 750 Ti, GT 1030, or RX 550. Whichever is cheaper in your area.

pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=396,164,394&sort=price&page=1

If you live in a cold country, the Vega56 can double as a heater. And if you buy the reference card and have tinnitus, the card can generate loud white noise for you.

The price is so close to the G4560 though. I want this system to basically last forever.

Im hopeless when it comes to this, can anyone recommend me a build that's ~750-850$ ? Living in eastern europe means everything's comparatively a lot more expenisve and i can't afford a lot. I just wanna game, feelsbadman

Buy a console

>Invents a new computer
EXCUSE ME

the 3930 has 4k support and costs 40 dollars

b-but i can do more things with a pc

I'm currently inventing a new high tech computer aimed towards business professionals Kappa

im sorry what is a 3930?

Sure but with that budget and the inflated price of everything else you are not going to get a PC that is stronger than a console for gaming.

I'm not dancing around, I don't give a shit about your hardware warz. Yes one is faster, keen observation. Let me react to this because it affects me personally so greatly.

[ ] ETERNALLY BTFO, [ ]FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

this this this desu

is there any chance prices are going to drop in the future? For example when the cryptocurrency thing dies down?

So do we have any more deets on when coffee lake is dropping?

I really want to start building a computer but I'm just sitting here doing nothing until that and a compatible motherboard is released.

Save 50 more dollars for the 1050.

You're forgetting that the 1060 3GB and 6GB models are different cards as well. One is stronger than the other. It's more like

>RX560
>1050
>power gap
>1050ti
>power gap
>RX 570
>1060 3GB
>power gap
>1060 6GB
>RX 580

ram and ssd prices slated for price drops in 2019, gpus who knows, rx prices are coming down and production will prob ramp up for holiday sales. just hope for eth and alt coins to drop.

>1050ti
I would have bought a 570 but all these fucking miners ruined it for everyone and i had to switch to the green team, probably got like 6 months before it becomes obsolete through drivers

Who else is excited for Coffee Lake? I think it could be the next Sandy Bridge.

does anyone have a suggestion for a monitor stand that clamps to the desk (so no base that sits on the desk) and can support 3 monitors, 24" - 27" - 24"? also theres a board near the edge of my desk in the back, so the actual clamp cant be too deep into the desk if possible.

Also general tips for what to look for in a computer stand? Never used one before, trying to save some space on my desk now.

can Sup Forums tell me why you conveniently left out the i7-7820x from the gaming benchmark, yet have it in all the others?

blog.logicalincrements.com/2017/08/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-1920x-vs-intel-core-i9-7900x/

>site called logical incriments
>listing the 1300x as being faster than the i5-7600K which is within $10 in price and faster

Didn't you know? This board has a hard on for AMD products. Hell, they'd even get railed up the ass with a strap-on, as long as the strap-on was AMD made.

Because if you even consider x299 platform you deserve to be called an idiot. Older Intel platforms offer much better value.

First time on Sup Forums? This is AMD land boy. Despite the Vega being shit, you don't see many people shitting on it compared to say the 3.5 fiasco.

Would a 1080 Ti be bottlenecked by an overclocked 2600K?

>real world
>userbenchmarks

No. As long as you are not playing on 1080p.

1440p60

>bringing up x299 when threadripper mobos start at $330

also i just noticed that LI finaly updated their reference CPU on the front page but its the $1300 i7-6950x which is SLOWER than the i7-7820x and 2x as much money

but then they couldnt have their lil description text when you hover over ryzen CPUs as being "omg just as good and 50% cheaper!"

when theres a 500 dollar intel CPU thats actually faster in gaming across the board right now

It will be fine

>"there totally isn't anyone shitting vega, why isn't intel being recommended"
>vega being shit proves that intel is worth it
>muh amd boogeyman

Every thread, like clockwork.

It will still bottleneck and bottleneck hard. My 1070 was on like 40% gpu utilization with a Haswell i5 which was overclocked in battlefield 1. My cpu is probably more powerful than yours and my gpu is much less powerful than a 1080 ti yet still gets bottlenecked at 1440p

>7800

gee, i have no idea why its not recommended

>10 core Intel CPU runs hotter and draws more power than 16 core AMD CPU

but vega is shit so buy intel

I don't play BF1, isn't that a CPU intensive game anyway?
I play/gonna play Witcher 3, Overwatch, NieR, Forza 7, Far Cry 5...

Make sure to pick 7350k because it has overclocking and single threaded is all that matters.

gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3023-aib-partners-to-gn-yes-vega-price-will-change
>Vega64
>Louder, hotter, worse than 1080
>About to be priced at $599 making it officially more expensive than a 1080
>Reference design and not AIB
>1 year late
>Poor Volta
Alright folks. We have the bulldozer of GPUs here. People waited™ for this piece of shit.

AMD shill can you play remove the Vega NOW from the OP? There is literally no reason to buy a Vega.

I can't wait to see how much Intel fucks up the 18 core. It wont be content with being just a housefire.

My new build wont turn on guys. I put everything together, and plugged it in, and it didn't turn on. Everything is plugged in correctly too and the power supply is on. I will take it apart tomorrow and try it again, but I have a bad feeling it wont work

Ryzen?

yes

RAM on QVL?

If it wasn't that would only affect speed and not cause the system to be unbootable. My guesses are either mobo or PSU being dead on arrival.

Just search YouTube for people with similar configurations to what you want I.e. 2600k + 1080 ti.

I'd only get the 1080 ti if I knew I'd be upgrading my cpu within the next year or so but I'd get something like a 1070 or at max a 1080 if I know I'd be keeping my processor for like 3 more years because your chances of being bottlenecked is high with that old i7 paired with the 1080 ti so you're essentially paying for performance you won't even be able to take full advantage of and by the time you upgrade that cpu in 3 years the next set of gpu would have been released with 1080 ti performance at half the price.

>Vega SOON meme posted for months
>Vega NOW added as a joke

Notice that its not actually recommended at any tier?

>If it wasn't that would only affect speed and not cause the system to be unbootable
Wrong. Google shows RAM not being on the QVL causing the system to be unbootable. That is largely dependent on your motherboard and the bios version it has but it can happen

did the fans spin?
have you tried pulling the CMOS?

pull the battery and wait at least 10 mins and try again

post full build as well

How about Vega NEVER?
That is a better joke and actually factual

fuck I don't think it is

I'm going to get a 8700k around xmas.

Fans do not spin nothing turns on. My ram module pin is not on the QVL, just checked

Well. It might be the motherboard, it might be the PSU, it might even the RAM. What happens what you say "it didn't turn on". Nothing happens when you hit the power button? Or power up and then power down?

I knew that would have triggered one of you fuckers. I remember when the article first came out and a bunch of Sup Forums exploded. I still laugh at this shit.

Sounds like a PSU issue.
Did you turn on the switch on the back of the PSU? Stupid question but I have seen people forget about that.

Literally nothing happens nothing turns on nothing spins no lights

My current build has an FX-6350 and a 760, is there any reasonable upgrade that doesn't involve replacing the mobo? If not I'll probably just start a new one from scratch and give this one to my brother or something.

Recheck your connections. Again make sure the switch on the back of the PSU is on. And if still nothing, start with the PSU first. It is probably the PSU.

Another dumb question, are the front panel connectors plugged in or did you accidentally plug them in wrong? Plugging them in wrong mostly just switched what the buttons do.

agreed, but whatever i didn't make the OP

pull the cmos if you havent already, wait a full 10 mins for it to die and then check the front panel again like said

That is why you always test bench your build first before putting it into your case. Most modern motherboards should have a switch on it to turn it on otherwise just jump the power connectors.

The front panel connectors are correct, I checked a couple of times. I will check the PSU tomorrow.

I will try this now

1080 ti should be alright then. I wouldn't be so sure about the 8700k being out by then though

Where is that faggot arguing with me about Vega MSRP a few day ago? I want to laugh in his face again.
Vega is dead and buried.

Intel is having a big Coffee Lake announcement on Monday so I'm hopeful.

Is anyone doing a threadripper with ECC ram build? It's on my todo list but no mentions of ECC except that it is supported.

Is it worth to pair an M.2 ssd with an i5 6600k?

>why would you ask this question?
My motherboard came with an m.2 slot and never noticed until literally today
>how
I was poor alright? didn't have money for fancy stuff back then.

>GeForce 1060 is too slow
>GeForce 1080 is too expensive
>GeForce 1070 has an uneven digit\