Is there anything shittier than SAP?

The company I work gave some ABAP trainning for free.

I was like: "cool, free stuff, let's see this thing".

After doing 3 actual programs I am like: WTF this shit is total CRAP!!!!!!

I fell like programming inside a jail. Fuck this shit is garbage.

Am I wrong for not wanting to enter this universe?

Because what I really want is to become better at C++. I fell like flying with C++, muh wings of freedom!

Other urls found in this thread:

open.sap.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Freedom and bean counter programming are mutually exclusive.

Go do something more interesting.

Can anyone tell me how to login to Sybase? And determine/reset whatever the admin login is to it?

If you do sap programming, scripting or consultancy you will make good monies

I didn't. Currently unemployed and that's why I'm going to k myself but no one's loss.

SAP isn't amazing, but it is ok.

theres a reason they have to pay people loads of money to write, use, and maintain """"enterprise"""" software

ABAP is trash but be glad SAP is not doing crazy single user database locks anymore.

Why the fuck aren't you using Oracle?

Shit
Application
Programming

>Am I wrong for not wanting to enter this universe?
If you value your sanity/soul more than money, then you are right.
Otherwise, no.
Hearsay says SAP consultants make mad money.
Personally, I only have to use it as a user for time tracking, and that's enough to make me hate it.
On the other hand, my grandfather bought their stock way back when no one really understodd what a computer is and so they essentially paid for my university, so IDK…

SAP is Germany's revenge for WW2

K thanx, bye.

I thought that was the Euro.

Wait, the Euro is actually WW3.

SAP is by Germans for Germans

At least you're not using fucking Microsoft XAL, a software so old and arcane that it has been abandoned more than a decade ago by everyone except for my employer.

And I have to write APIs for it. You have no idea how fucking arcane this shit is. Nobody except the fat client even knows how to add records to the database.

>Fuck this shit is garbage.
You are 100% correct.

>Am I wrong for not wanting to enter this universe?
YES. Yes you are fucking retarded. Because if you can suck it up and learn SAP well enough to stick it on a resume or be a consultant, holy fucking shit, there's so much money there. That's because very few people do bother entering the universe since it's garbage. Yet businesses everywhere, huge ones with deep budgets, are using it and desperate for support. And you get free starter training? TAKE IT YOU FOOL.

It's horrible but when you do know how to program and customize that shit the dosh won't stop flowing in.
It's that shit.

What is sap anyway? It just takes me to a company's website and they have buzzwords plastered all over their site. I have no idea what they're actually selling

It's an ERP. It only does everything.

Because they're not selling to you. Welcome to B2B, bitch!

I'm actually working at SAP as a developer, very nice workplace to work at, I'd recommend. IDK about SAP consultants etc. since I'm not interested in any of it.

I've worked in b2b for a company that provides services to telecoms. Never heard of it before

German here, SAP sucks to hard. It sucks so fucking much I really hate it. I am glad my company stopped with that shit.

Pay isn't high - you'll be competing against a bunch of pajeets. Better to go into something Pajeet proof like iOS swift.

Programmers who don't take SAP training or RTFM and then just fudge things to work and you end up with more shit.

Why the fuck WOULD I use Oracle, with their chinamen-tier scammy business tactics?

But how much monies do you make as a SAP developer?

SAP is great man, but the programming knowledge is specified. That's why ABAP developers can make good money.

>implying oracle is better

depends entirely on the product. Sybase didn't make just one.

>Not using Microsoft© Dynamics 365 for Operations©

SAP consultants do make good money. Even out of college you can make $64K/yr doing SAP work. Experienced consultants make more than $100K+ easy. If you're in an absolutely new hot area you can make $200K+/yr in the short term but this is very hard.

SAP is actually the genesis of IBM buying rights to Xerox's SAPE software and IBM being too short sighted to realize that going through the development effort for an enterprise system based off of that and then licensing it out could make stacks of cash. So the five German devs left and founded SAP.

Depends on your industry. Telecom integration (for fax, call center agents, etc.) to SAP is huge and companies in telecom advertise the shit out of it.

Also, they have a much better brand awareness in the US if you watch sports, the SAP Center, advertising on ESPN and at major team arenas, etc. (or you work in businesses that deal with SAP software).

Tell me how to start learning SAP
I really need a job to be honest famalam

open.sap.com/

Enjoy those biar files. Seems every hospital has a fucking hard on for BO

was meant as a reply to

>Personally, I only have to use it as a user for time tracking, and that's enough to make me hate it.
Same here, it's a fucking mess. Just lemmie enter my hours.

Oh c'mon, you don't love transaction CATS/CATSXT/CAT2?

Don't depend on a single company for being able to perform your job. Just ask all the 40-50something year olds with years of experience in ABAP that are now about to get the boot because they don't know how to use it with S4/HANA. I've heard stories from people working in IT companies about smug consultants walking into companies and telling their ABAP division "all of you are useless now".
Also those German table names are horrifying.

They're not all German, e.g. FAGLFLEXA, but the history of the software leads to a lot of non-translated transaction and table names. It's great fun when Hans develops a class and every single short text is all maintained in DE.

Programming for Fiori definitely requires a different skillset. You need the webdynpro and UI5/Fiori knowledge for the frontend, but business logic is largely still in traditional ABAP. It's trickier than straight ABAP reports/function modules/enhancements, etc...

>Also those German table names are horrifying.
Examples please.
I'm a German and I do all of my "IT stuff" in english, and i thought that was standard practice, except for some small tests where you just can't be bothered

>FAGLFLEXA
>FAG
>FLEXA
…so ?

VBELN
AUART
VKORG
VTWEG
SPART
GSBER
WERKS
LGORT

The "GL" (third and forth letters) refer to the financial "General Ledger" in SAP. I'm not sure what the rest of it stands for.

here
for example

>LIFNR
Lieferantennummer

>KUNNR
Kundennummer

>BELNR
Belegnummer

But recognizing this (or remembering it) is very difficult as a non-German speaker

Don't really see much German in that, and they dont make sense to me at all (I don't know SAP though). But all caps short names are horrifying anyways. Gotta occasionally dive into some really old FORTRAN code. It's fucking fast, however, so there's that.

OK, those make sense in German (if you get the explanation what they mean, only NR is a standard, unambiguous abbreviation), but I can see how that is really hard to remember when you don't know the language.

Older applications had a five character field name limitation. They are German abbreviations largely.

yeah here's some of them

MANDT -> Mandant

VBELN -> Vertriebsbelegnummer

AUART -> Auftragsart

VKORG -> Verkaufsorganisation

VTWEG -> Vertriebsweg

SPART -> Sparte

GSBER -> Geschäftsbereich

WERKS -> Werk

LGORT -> Lagerort

>WERKS -> Werk
Wait, what? They made it longer?

I totally can see how this is a nightmare to work with.

Werk means plant, right? So the table attribute WERKS is associated with the different plants (in the plural).

But yeah, it's really fun when you get a logged error and it's only in German, thank fuck for Google translate

but with the character limitations for different objects it's annoying
POSNR stands for Positionsnummer des Vertriebsbeleges which isn't so bad because Position is similar in english

so VBAK-VBELN is a table for the item number of sales order documents in the system. boom, several german abbreviations in a single table name.

>Werk means plant, right? So the table attribute WERKS is associated with the different plants (in the plural).
But the correct plural in this case would be WERKE (I think most of our plurals end with an e, and quite a few with an r). Same length, so if they would have intended it as plural, they probably would have just done so.

> it's really fun when you get a logged error and it's only in German
How the hell did this become a worldwide, really expensive standard then? Only because Oracle is even worse?

it was really the first system of its type and very customizable, they called the original versions R/2 and R/3 into the nineties with the R standing for real time. R/2 was mainframe based, R/3 was client server based.

throughout the eighties and nineties, Oracle and SAP were friends. you bought an SAP application and an Oracle database.

the relationship had really soured by 2003 (and fully by 2005) when Oracle acquired Peoplesoft, which was a competitor to SAP's application business. SAP went in on the database front (first with MaxDB, then BW accelerator, then HANA, and then buying Sybase for their RDBMS' and mobile technology) as Oracle continued to develop and buy out applications that competed with SAP.

from the Enterprise Resource Planning perspective SAP is still #1, having sold some form of the system for the past 45 years.

SAP was huge in the nineties especially, the money was even more insane then vs. now. The "glory days" are dead but you can still make a much better salary doing SAP shit than a lot of IT jobs.

here
by I mean "huge in the nineties" i mean companies switching from no ERP or disparate applications to a central ERP like SAP ERP. new customers still implement SAP and old customers upgrade to newer technology so the customer base is still growing.

Airbus, where I'm working atm, uses this retarded shit. So glad I'm leaving soon. Fucking French faggots I swear.

boeing uses SAP too and so does most of the fortune 500/global 1000. you are very unlikely to escape

I meant I'm going back to the software development world where we at least use SQL server, which even though it's Pajeetosoft, it's still SQL and SQL is fucking heaven compared to SAP.

SAP will always find a way to suck you back in
you'll be working on SQL server when your company or a customer will encounter errors in SAP
then someone from your company decides to retask you on an SAP project
then you're working on SAP again

Outside of that small fortune 500 bubble (and it's small in terms of number of companies compared to non fortune 500) SAP is nonexistent.
I don't even mind though, as long as I get paid adequately.

German plurals don't end in 's'. But genitive form does, which is the posseive form.

Still doesn't make sense though.

Fucking technical names. Cost center: BUKRS. Booking circle.