Stop Distro-Hopping

Other urls found in this thread:

en.opensuse.org/SDB:Network_installation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no

Stopped 3 years ago at Mint.

> at Mint.

Stopped at elementary OS

Went from Debian, to Fedora and stopped at OpenSUSE, the only thing I'd go after suse is Slackware or CentOS, since I started valuing stability far more than new features.

>I value stability
>doesn't use Windows

>Windows
>stability

But Mom! It's just a phase!

I'm on Windows 10

Stopped 3 years ago at Gentoo.
Still trying to install it.

Just stick with openSUSE
>it just werks®
>real engineering
>no fagotry

Stopped at Debian 7.

Been on Arch for 3 years

Give me one that isn't bullshit one one way or another

Stopped at Ubuntu. Admit it, this is the just werks ™ distro.

Stopped at Antergos.

windows 7

Is openSUSE not stable?

>windows
>stable
U wot m8?

Funtoo

hello, my name is Ryan and I am a recovering distro addict. I have been a GNU/Linux user since the late 90s, I did not think when I started out that it would have a permanent effect on my life. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Due to not understanding the concept of free, I found myself taking things that did not belong to me. I thought "to hell with laws, I'll just compile it". Boy was I wrong. Now, my entire family would pay money to forget my name. I heard they had to burn the house down due to my room never losing the stench I gave it. I have been a healthy MacOS user for 2 years now, its been the hardest part of my life yet. The next time I have to register software, I might kill myself. Don't let the distro trap you and your family.

SUSE is stable, but not rock-stable like Slack
Very few things are.

stopped at debian 9 years ago

But that's what Linux is about, what do you think no life faggots do with Linux every day?

Arch user since 2009 on my two main machines, didn't reinstall even once. I use Debian 8 at work but I slapped an Arch chroot on it in case I need some upstream software that Debian can't provide.

Dual boating with Windows for more than 8 years and windows never once gave me any trouble. Meanwhile, you could hardly just use the same distro for more than a few months before it starts running slower than a snail and running into all kinds of random errors

Nice try.

> But that's what Linux is about
Lolnope.

so did debian

both can be kept in good condition if you're not retarded. been dual booting win7 and debian on this box since 2012, haven't reinstalled either in that time.

>mfw Ubuntu, to Mint, to Fedora, to Arch, to Gentoo,
>tfw stopped at Solus.

did I fuck up? Solus is just so comfy...

You can hardly break Windows if you just install software that are trusted and don't just install maleware. Linux distros are routinely broken by just installing updates and software from their repositories. Most issue on Linux require you to get dirty most of the times; a thing that really doesn't compare with Windows.

quality post friend
10/10 made me chuckle

stopped at antergos

how can you claim stability when your updates happen automatically and Linux users update at their own will. Any normal person would backup before doing a major system update. Enjoy having your computer randomly restart for a "security patch" while you are trying to bust a load to cuck vids

I can't decide between Kubuntu, KDE Neon and OpenSuse

I just want a stable, user-friendly KDE distro, which I can successfully update between versions without installing it again

>how can you claim stability when your updates happen automatically and Linux users update at their own will

This has nothing to do with stability, user. Windows is definitely more stable than Linux and is definitely less painful to maintain

Debian for just werks (laptop), Gentoo for muh customization (PC)

Okay, you can stop acting retarded now.

The opposite, Gentoo/LFS for laptop to extract the maximum performance or battery from your hardware.

>Linux distros are routinely broken by just installing updates
what distro? arch? ubuntu?

>Any normal person would backup before doing a major system update.
>running backups manually
just apply updates after the backups have been pulled from your box.

> Windows is definitely more stable than Linux
Not always, upgrading from 8.1 to 10v1511 resulted in a mess. 8.1 to 10v1607 went fine.

My man

You can hardly upgrade any linux distro without just fucking up everything.

Tbh I wish this was true, Windows is constantly breaking in all kinds of ways

And then you woke up.

>Windows is [...] less painful to maintain
at this point i've just given up trying to get windows to display the correct time (with hwclock set to utc), and just live with it being an hour off for half of the year. no task on debian has ever been even remotely as painful as trying to get something as basic as setting the clock on windows.

Same

debian 7 to 8 required updating 4 or 5 config files, 8 to 9 didn't even need that.

If you want it to work on both, set it to local time and you won't get problems, at least in my experience. Windows wasn't made to be dual boot and this isn't an issue for normal users

No i'm not going to stay with gnome 3 ubuntu garbage

You're trying awfully hard here, Reyansh

You're thinking CentOS and probably all rpm-based distros, also Ubuntu. Not Linus fault they suck at upgrading.

Pacman and apt based distros are most unstable, there's a reason most corporate/business suites target RPM which just accidentally happen to be CentOS, RHEL, and SLES which run most servers worldwide.

>setting hwclock to localtime
>this decade

Sames. Everything just works. Arch or Gentoo to fiddle around for getting 0,3% faster boot times is still possible.

the real reason is: there are more admins with certs for RHEL than all other distros combined.

Should I stop at OpenSUSE or Gentoo?
I like the idea of Portage, but people seem to speak a lot about OpenSUSE's stability - can I use it without bloat and have a lightweight i3 desktop where everything works properly?

en.opensuse.org/SDB:Network_installation

I started with gehnoo/linux about a year ago with Xubuntu. Now I'm at Arch just because I like fixing my OS every week.
I sill DE/WM hoop some times, but i find myself pretty /comfy/ with i3
Also I like living on the edge and not making any backups whatsoever...

openSUSE ftw
openSUSE Tumbleweed!
-installation wizard
-gui system configuration tools next to commandline
-Btrfs rollbacks
-automated software testing
-rolling AND stable

Ive only installed around 20 Distros in the past week. Make me stop

>Stop Distro-Hopping
I haven't distrohopped in 10 years.

I used to hop like a very lazy grasshopper and I finally settled at Gentoo.

Stopped at arch

I stopped and went back to windows.

Haven't touched linux in 6 or 7 years. Life's good.

Same here. Sometimes I try other distros but I always end up coming back.

If you're having trouble you should learn to read first user
I believe in you

Not even fat but that hurt