Vim or Emacs?

Kate

ed

Vim desu, its /comfy/ af

Vim for quick stuff, Emacs for gui ide

emacs wit vim keybinds

emacs
Can do everything vim can do
emacs also doesn't have the stupid mode system that vim has where you have to exit insert mode to do a command, then go back into insert mode.

vim
emacs if brainlet

Kys animetard

Are you actually retarded? Emacs' strength is not in ease of editing, it's in the plugins, the major/minor modes, and the whole Emacs Lisp environment it runs on. As somebody who uses both, Vim is just easier and faster to actually edit text with.

Emacs is great. So comfy. After enough time editing your config, you'll eventually start writing your own lisp functions.

>Vim is just easier and faster to actually edit text with.
What makes you say that?
Once you're used to either, you'll be fast either way.
Vimscript however is terrible, and vim can't be turned into an actual IDE as easily as emacs can if at all.

and you have it on every pc you go

Doesn't vim get python support because vimscript is so bad?

>and you have it on every pc you go
You have Vi, Vim is not part of POSIX and cannot be relied upon.
I've used many systems where it was not installed.

Vim has support for a dozen scripting languages.

Can vim really be extended with python as easily as emacs can with elisp?

I don't know I just read about it but am too much of a pleb to do anything with it

>Vim
Has more features then I'll ever use. It's flexible and convenient. I see no reason to use emacs instead.

org-mode
easier to use as an IDE
evil if you're into that

W-what about nano...?

vim

I tried using emacs for a few days but using the keyboard shortcuts was annoying.

>I see no reason to use emacs instead

Exactly, vim is just efficient and perfect until you need a real IDE.

at what moment would you actually need a ide?
i genuinely cant think of one except maybe simulating hdl execution

An IDE is mandatory when you have to work on an actual project instead of small scripts or whatever.

many java developers don't know all the classes, they just tab-complete the code in an ide ...

that's actually the reason i started using normal text-editors because my programming got so bad (or rather dependend on the ide), where i couldn't write a java program without an ide and internet

this

I use Vim because I'm not a brainlet. I've literally never met an Emacs user who had a triple digit IQ.

t. Pajeet

>having a job means you're Pajeet
Keep writing your Haskell hello worlds or whatever it is you're doing in vim

no, why would it be?

generate ctags and shit for a autocomplete plugin then

I'm not the guy you're responding to, but I have set up easy file navigation, code completion, code definition lookup, automatic linting on save, and one-step build macros. I'm also able to use vim as a front-end for gdb, so I can look at the code while stepping an executable. Please tell me how that, by your definition, is NOT an IDE.

>why would it be?
Because an IDE is more convenient for very large programs.

Just use spacemacs.
Vimscript is cancer anyway.

I have a job as an assistant professor. I probably make more than you and my programs make actual contributions to technology. Enjoy writing your latest ad-ridden mobile game for 12 year-olds, though, lol. Have to do the most you can with the tiny brain you have.

>lying on a cantonese cave painting forum
Sure kid, whatever you say.

Sublime

uemacs
Should be on every distro desu

No semantic analysis. NeoVIM + language server is an IDE.

Of course there are a bunch of degen 'IDEs' that do less than VIM can, but if you're talking about Visual Studio or Eclipse class functionality, you haven't reached that yet.

>emacs also doesn't have the stupid mode system

aka the entire purpose for vim existing and what every vim user loves about it.

The only correct answer

>implying modal editing isn't the only good thing about vim

Emacs with Evil

Spacemacs if new to either editor

>Spacemacs if new to either editor
But spacemacs won't teach you vim nor emacs. It'll teach you spacemacs.
And if it breaks you're fucked.

>Eclipse class functionality

Such as segfaulting because the git plugin eats away memory like crazy, or broken code navigation because GCC for indexing is a bad idea in the first place?

acme for emacs, sam for vim

you alright?

Care to share your setup?

yeah I also would be interested how to set up gdb with vim

>and you have it on every pc you go
Do I have to post this in every thread? TRAMP exists. If you want to use *your* editor on every machine, then start version controlling your config so you can clone it on other machines.

GNU Emacs with a distro like Spacemacs or prelude

Damn I can't choose between vim, emacs and spacemacs. Someone help me make a decision.

What do you expect from your editor?

I want to be able to navigate files and projects easily, to debug programs from within the editor, and have a good choice of plugins that make development easier. A high degree of customization should be available too.

>projects
Try spacemacs. It should have plenty of configuration to make managing projects easy out of the box.

I don't know much about it, because I wrote my own config for Emacs.

Thanks. Is right or should I not worry about that?
>I wrote my own config for Emacs
What does it look like?

>Not physically manipulating individual bits directly on the hard drive platter manually

Why bother living?

Post vimrc please if you have something nice

i use the standard vimrc, it'S awesome

>What does it look like?
Well, I have my own function that regenerates autoload files whenever I upgrade any extension and I avoid the package manager, because I'm worried it will slow down my startup times and try to connect to repos every time. Also, there are some extensions I either wrote myself or I use forks / newest development versions of that might not be avaiable in repos.

I also added some improvements, such as support for different contexts in js2-mode and taught it to understand node.js shebangs.

I won't post link to a repo with my config here, because I keep it tied to my name quite closely.

If you're willing to put in some time and effort, consider learning some elisp, as it makes it easier to customize Emacs to do what you want and lets you add new features that don't exist yet.

When I started using GNU+Linux, I actually googled "best text editor for linux". Since 95% of results said vim, that's what I went with.
No regrets.

Emacs best editor

Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't have vim preinstalled

Try running vi. You should get a cut down version of vim that way.

If I have to install shit anyways I'm going for emacs

For what pvrpose

I wonder if we vimfags will ever die out

I use GNU Emacs on my laptop and vim on my phone.

If vim and emacs are as good (which is probably true) how come vim is much, much more popular?
25% of developers use vim (it's also the most popular editor in data science) while only 5% use emacs.

Because GNU Emacs ain't an text editor, it's a fucking OS.

emacs with evil mode

>half-assed
just convert already, we have cookies

Only use that

I use vim.
I never encountered a situation where I needed another editor. But to be honest I'm nowhere near a professional full time dev, most of what I do is quick and dirty small time projects.

why would you use this shitty downgrade of vim?

Well, it's a text editor after all. But some people use it as an IDE, one day I will try that too, just to see if it would be viable and how much the productivity would change

I never used VI, jus vim. Is it really that much different?

Notepad.exe

As a student, this makes me feel really bad that professors are flameposting on Sup Forums. I thought they would be more respectable than that.
>be me last week
>have appointment with advisor
>finish meeting
>as I pack up my things to leave he logs in to his reddit account
It's not a good type of feel

I used to write latex in . Then I figured out that I could right a makefile and set up a keyboard shortcut in tex.vim to run :!make and another one to view the pdf. It is really comfy this way.

It can be depending on how you use VIM. A lot of people use the "improved" parts as crutches rather than learn the proper VI way of doing things, which are actually better 90% of the time.

Like using Esc instead of C-c or C-[, or visual mode instead of mark / jump or ex style range expressions.

goodbye reddit

but visual mode is better in this case

Cutches are only crutches if you belueve they are.
Improvements are factually not crutches.
Fuck you, my word is law, eat a dick.

Vile is Vi like Emacs, best of both worlds

Unless you want to perform multiple actions over the same range or want to zero the cursor after you seek.

Just use Sandy desu

Just add a sprinkle of tmux.

Joe's Own Editor

>emacs is so unusable that it needs to emulate vim

if it works in the end I don't see your point

Code::Blocks

Emacs isn't used for the keybindings to begin with.

Is vim really more lightweight than emacs? Is the difference negligible?

>Is vim really more lightweight than emacs?
Yes.
>Is the difference negligible?
On a desktop/laptop no. On a phone yes.

Why would you be using emacs or vim on a phone?

Is there stuff emacs can do that vim can't when it comes to editing text and writing programs?

To code.

Dunno. But I'm sure GNU Emacs is far more powerful than vim.

Why are you coding on a phone? What benefit does emacs/vim give on a phone? This entire concept is retarded.

>Why are you coding on a phone?
Why not? It's for when I can't use my computer.
>What benefit does emacs/vim give on a phone?
It's editors to code.

After getting an 8bitdo controller today, the concept of coding on mobile actually sounds pretty okay desu

>"conding" on a phone
Yeah I'll stick to my comfy 3 screen setup

Vim users, how do you deal with vimscript being a big pile of shit?