Gtx 1080ti or Next-Gen

I wanna make a pc build that will last me a while and i'm unsure as to whether it is worth the wait for next-gen. My worry is that their enthusiast TI card won't come out till nearly a year after volta launches.

R5 1600(OC)
AM4 Crosshair hero VI
Noctua dh-15
4 * 8 GB Flare X Ram 3200mhz.
Case: Define R5. (Already have this)

Also anyone recommend a better board for Overclocking that can save me a bit of money.

those already good, d15 kinda overkill for 1600

I'm still in comfy i7-37xx + 780Ti land for now.

Waiting for the 7nm Zen2/3 cpu's to arrive, then I'll pick the GPU to go with it.. Volta or Navi or whatever the next thing is called.

Nvidia is releasing the next gen somewhere after march next year. TI's are usually around 6-9 months later. Decide for yourself.

Yeah with how GloFlo 7nm is shaping up, anyone who bought Zen early is gonna be envious.

though they could just go and drop Zen 3 in :^)

Why would you get that board with the 1600?

Wait for Volta

Consumer Volta isn't gonna be seen until Q2 2018 at the earliest. Ti card around Q4 likely. Just get Pascal.

That's what I told my cousin, drop in a R5-1600 for now, switch to a Zen3 R7-3800X when it arrives. No point in going "top of the line" on a first iteration chip.

Ryzen can't oc or shit, lad.

rx580.
buying $1000 card is dumb.
just upgrade every non rebrand generation.

>buy a 1600
>spend literally $400 on 32gb of 3200 Samsung meme-die RAM

What are you doing user? 3000 to 3200 will give you like 5% more performance at best at 150% the price

oh don't forget a freesync monitor.
lg 23.8 1080pee ips 75Hz monitor is $150.

>AM4 Crosshair hero VI
There is no need to have this kind of motherboard for R5 CPU, should go for something cheaper, any of X370 will be able to keep R5 at stable 4Ghz clock and majority of B350 too.
>4 * 8 GB Flare X Ram 3200mhz.
No need for four memory sticks, Ryzen 7 only supports dual channel so you will gain no additional benefits from four sticks.

Lies, you can comfortably get them too 4.0GHz constant on all cores if your cooling can keep up (which is piss easy thanks to the soldered IHS), barring a bad chip of course, which is becoming even less likely with the process improvements on the chip batches.

Get half as much ram in a faster speed
Get a 1700 instead of a 1600

>Buy 1080ti now for $709 (cheapest I could find in quick search of in stock new gpu)
>Put in pc and enjoy
>Volta release in 4 months
>Volta ti release 3-6 months after that.
>Buy Volta ti and sell 1080 ti for $350.

Gives you 7-10 months to enjoy the 1080ti and you can easily reseller a last gen ti (see sales of 980ti when 1080ti was released).

>Gtx 1080ti or Next-Gen
This is honestly a stupid question. "Next-Gen" GeForce isn't even announced in any fashion, there aren't even any plausible rumors regarding a release date. If you want to wait for "Volta Ti", that could very well end up somewhere in 2019.

So the actual question is, do you want a computer now/in the near future, or do you want a computer in 2018/2019?

Ti is not $1000. It costs $300-400 more than 580 depending on which after market oc/brand/cooler.

>lose 50% in 6 months
good goy.

if nvidia can't get 7nm, tsmc is only on 10nm, they are finished and bankrupt.

Only about 20% will reach 4.0, with voltages over 1.4.
>4.0 ghz
Thanks for proving my point.

3.7GHz is the sweetspot for performance/watt

$40 per month to max the shit out of everything isn't a bad deal.

>Sitting around with no or shit hardware to save on natural depreciation costs

Unless that $700 you spent on a 1080ti is the last $700 you're going to have for a long time, you're losing out. It's called opportunity cost

That was on launch, now practically all 1700X and up are hitting 4ghz and 4.1ghz is the new gold.

Sure. Right. Ok. 4.1ghz. Wow.

Get a liquid cooled Vega. It's as fast as a 1080 now, but with driver improvements and game updates it'll beat a 180TI sooner or later.

Use the money you save to get a Freesync monitor.

i already max out 4chin.

Having bought a 295 back when it released with the same mindset, and refusing to buy a new one up until late 2013, when something made me buy a new one, but I only had enough for a 770, which died recently, I could notice:
a) I never had something that used the 295 to it's maximum potential. I mean, it ran everything of its time on Ultra with 200+ FPS, but the even the first titles with DX12, Vulkan, newer techs already wouldn't stay even at 60FPS on low/medium. Some settings wouldn't even be available, also. So it went from too much instantly to too little because of tech specs.
b) When I purchased the 770, I expected it to not be able to run anything on Ultra and keep 60+ already, but surprisingly it did with most games of its time, and even some that came later.
c) When the 770 died, I had a 550 I could borrow and the 295 lying around. I thought "well, the 295 has two top-grade GPUs, while the 550 is already a rebrand of the previous gen mid-range, so the 295 must clearly win", and found out that Overwatch and Dota2 (with Vulkan still enabled) wouldn't even run, and that most current games that ran, weren't playable at even the lowest settings. Borrowed the 550 to try, because why not, and found out that it could keep 40-60 fps in most current games at medium, and even 60+ in some at lowest.

TL;DR find out from benchmarks which board has the minimum you're looking for (like keeping more than 120fps at 1080p Ultra, 60 fps at 1440p Ultra, whatever you actually need) and go for it.

Maybe you'll get an extra 4-6 months before actually being forced to replace the top grade (since it can bruteforce some stuff and still give you playable FPS), but it won't give you an extra generation, so you'll have the same choices to upgrade as if you bought the mid-range.

Just to finish, unless it's coming out soon (and then you get just what you need), it's not worth waiting for the next gen, since then it would be wise to wait until the next next gen, and so on.

You're bad at money

Finewine

You realize how well a chip overclocks is measured as how far above stock clocks you can run, right? A 30% overclock is pretty fucking respectable.

No, you're a shitposter who wouldn't realize a brick wall until it smacked him in the face.

I suppose I should still be using my core 2 duo with my 7850?

Terrible advice.

If anyone wants 1080Ti performance, buy a 1080Ti since it's actually better right now and you don't have to rely on complete ass pulls about how much performance will improve once some indeterminate period of time passes. Vega 64 Liquid isn't really any cheaper than a 1080Ti right now and uses more power too, even if the drivers improve performance you're still going to have a power guzzler.

There's just no real advantage Vega has over 1080Ti. FreeSync is cheaper, but the card is slower, uses more power and may never catch up for all we know. That's not a very good deal.

Ryzen will bottleneck 1080ti down to 1080, doesn't make much sense.

My 1600 hits 3.8 on 1.36V. I can't even get 3.825 on 1.4V. Having bought AMD I realize now retarded and damaging amd shills are.

>buy a binned cut down on processor
>be surprised it overclocks worse

Because you lost on silicon lotto?
Also a 7700k can oc to 5ghz from 4.2 after delidding which is a smaller increase in %.

>it'll beat a 180TI sooner or later.
You never buy a card in the hopes it'll perform better than another in the future.

It will literally never come close to beating a 1080ti

there's always something better being released the next year

To be fair msrp on liquid 64 is $599, so $100 cheaper than 1080ti.

>but with driver improvements and game updates it'll beat a 180TI sooner or later.

This is coming from an "AMD Fan":

The description on the "warning" completely fits RX Vega. Just saying its a really hard backfired karma.