What's the best programming language for a complete novice to learn?

What's the best programming language for a complete novice to learn?

I did learn some Java in school, but not enough to create any functional programs and I've forgotten most of it already.

Should I just go back to that?

Is windows fine or should I switch to Linux? I've heard it's better for programming but I didn't have any issues running eclipse in windows. I have an old laptop I can use if Linux is better/recommended.

Other urls found in this thread:

greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Go back to Java. Try Linux just for the lulz.

That was my first thought, which distro though? Got a couple of friends into that shit, one is using Ubuntu mate and the other one swears by Solus.

Both look pretty nice but I think I'm leaning more towards Ubuntu mate just because it looks better and reminds me of the last time I seriously tried to get into Linux almost 10 years ago (also Ubuntu)

why learn java? languages are more similar than you think so just learn something good. it'll come back user

Get ubuntu because it's the easiest one to use, pretty widespread support. Figure out how it works, how to configure and fix shit if/when it breaks and then if you feel like installing gentoo or arch or whatever, you won't be totally out of your depth.

It honestly won't matter. You're just using it as a development platform. Sure, go with Ubuntu MATE.

Thanks for all your help.

What's wrong with Java? Seems fairly widespread and I've noticed lots of universities teach it as a first language.

Java is widely used in enterprises, and enforces the object philosophy quite hard, shaping you for the currently popular programming philosophy.

Why is this such a common question? It's so subjective, it's like asking how many times a week should I wank.

So which language would you personally consider a good start?

Learn python or ruby
Try linux if you want

>what's wrong with java
the JVM is a bloatfest and it's hard to tell which parts of it are open source because of proprietary garbage.

Use the same distros your friends use. If they use multiple, pick the most popular/mainstream one. That way you can go to them for help if you're in a pinch.

Assembly

Wow m8 you've got issues

learn some african language like ethiopian. you're too stupid to learn programming.

X86 assembly

What if his friends use Gentoo?

Try out perl since it is very forgiving with it comes to syntax and how to write/do things in general. With that said you can use perl to learn programming logic and things of that nature like best practices. After you've picked up those things you can move to any other language by learn the syntax and nuances

Python to learn the basic abstract concepts, then C to learn how programs work under the hood. The former is very easy and you will be able to make basic programs with little effort.

And I mean C, not C++. Don't use the latter unless you have to, and not until you know C. Understanding why C++ is a nasty mess will help you avoid writing bad C++ code.

Use this free book to learn python : greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
The os doesn't really matter but you can stay on windows for the moment if you want. It can be hard to learn basic linux and python at the same time.

Java. Linux. Next time don't post a disgusting image. Faggot

Why would you post such a disgusting pic?