Will USB type C ever take off?

Will USB type C ever take off?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICloud_leaks_of_celebrity_photos
hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It already is.

Nah, I think wireless is gonna be the future. Maybe some kind of wifi with 100Gbps of bandwidth operating on like 10 GHz.

>2017-5
>Will USB 3 ever take off?

>Come back home
>Plug in my laptop to external screen using USB-c
>Laptop wakes up from sleep, starts charging
>Every other device is just connected to the monitor and connects automatically when I connect the laptop
>Life is good

For desktop PCs it will take some more time, but any modern laptop without at least one USB-c port is useless garbage.
Why would you want to plug in 9000 cables every time you come back home, if you can just use 1?
USB-C eliminated the reason for docking stations.

Yeah, WiFi flash drives sound safe. Retard.

These things, they take time.

i like usb c over micro usb but regular usb is better because of the size and durability.

>USB-C eliminated the reason for docking stations.
How common do you think docking stations are?

Not very common, because it was another bulky, expensive (for what it is) device you had to buy and keep on your desk.
you had basically 3 choices
> docking station
> plugging 9000 different cables every time you connected your laptop
> not use external mouse, keyboard, drive, screen etc at all
Now you just plug in a single USB cable and everything just werks™

we use them in the office. theres about ~45 people in my division that use them.

not in thus day and age.

>USB-C eliminated the reason for docking stations
>uses a docking station built into his monitor

Really makes you think.

I don't own any USB-C device or cable. I don't care if new computers have such a slot, would find it even good because future proof, but a notebook without any USB-A slot is just retarded. Like 99% of all USB devices are unusable without connector. WTF?

Yes, there is nowhere to go but full usb c.

I'm using it

Yeah, I know it's pretty great, but most people I know just use the laptop as is. No peripherals, no external screen etc.

>office
Company computers don't count

USB-C and Ryzen are the best things to happen to tech in the past 5 years

i reckon 3 a ports and 2 c ports is good

Not really.

You still need to hook up everything somewhere.
You can integrate it into your screen, or you can split it into a series of USB hubs, but in essence it's still a type of docking station.

>implying

why?

i think epyc moreso.

1 less device to clutter your desk.
Monitors had built in USB hubs for almost 2 decades now, it's hardly something new - but you still needed either several different cables, or a docking station to connect them to a laptop and be able to use that built in HUB

I still have zero devices with USB-C. I don't use craptops and the chromebooks the kiddos have aren't USB-C. All my vehicles use type A which also feels more solid. I only change out each vehicle once the warranty is up. Phones are all mid range or used flagships. Eight phones and six tablets all micro usb.

>Like 99% of all USB devices
mostly pendrives and wireless dongles. On everything else, you can replace the cable with USB-C one for like $3

arent most phones c now? good ones anyway, not budget.
most motherboards have c ports on them.

This pretty much. Kids think because something is new that it's always better or hasn't been done at all.

/thread

USB 3 is used in USB C you doofus

For me it already did. Phone, laptop & game console (switch) are powered by usb C.

Not very common but still useful. They're also usually expensive for what they are and most people don't actually need them.

I don't use Apple products but some of the third party docking station solutions are pretty neat.

When do you think manufacturers will start releasing front panels with USB-C? I don't necessarily mean all USB-C but like 1/2 USB 3.0 and at least 1 USB-C

V20 Moto X Pure Zenfone 2 OPO's. Computer rigs are all Haswell based or Sandy Bridge. No point in upgrades.

Oh it'll take off alright
Right into the garbage.

I agree.
But at least you can use USB-C to USB-B and USB-C to DisplayPort cables for most devices.
So although keeping those ports would be best I think I could live without DP and USB-A.

Replacing other ports like Ethernet and HDMI is more problematic, requiring active adapters.
As is only providing one or two USB-C, they are small so they should add 6 or 8.

V10 no V20

and it's fine for using facebook for a hour or 2, but not for getting anything done, unless they're masochists.

beats me, even a shitty celeron has 16 pci-e panes, literally no excuse.

Those DTSE9s are so good.

Also what about the lifetime of USB-C slots and connectors? Does anybody know if they have a longer or at least same lifetime or stability as USB-A? I'm always skeptical of such new things from the industries. The M.2 slot for example is specified to endure up to 60 mating cycles (Wikipedia), and I find the could have design that better for more mating cycles.
Maybe there is a little bit planned obsolescence hidden?
Good is at least that the direction of connecting is irrelevant.

>Also what about the lifetime of USB-C slots and connectors? Does anybody know if they have a longer or at least same lifetime or stability as USB-A?

IIRC USB-C has better lifetime than either USB-A or USB micro B.

>Fags like docking

Who woulda guessed?

Someone redpill me on neo/USB/
What should I look for when I buy a new laptop? USB 3? USB Type C? USB 3.1? Are they all compatible? Haven't bought a laptop since 2012 and even that was used.

>we just made a standard fucking cable
>HEY GUYS WE NEED A SMALLER VERSION OF YOUR STANDARD CABLE FOR OUR TINY LITTLE SHIT DEVICES HURR DURRRR
>fuck off
>NO U
>fine, here, now that should be enou-
>OH YEAH WE NEED MORE CONNECTORS FOR OTHER SHIT
>Fuck you, no
>WE'LL DO IT OURSELVES IF YOU DONT
>fucking shitcunts

at least 2 USB 3 and at least 1 USB-C.
Don't buy a laptop that doesn't have USB-C and don't buy a laptop that doesn't have normal USB-A

>flash drives
Just use your phone or the cloud. What is this, 2005?

All my new USB related purchases use Type C
Everytime something with micro USB dies it gets replaced with something that uses Type C.

New phones, new external harddrives etc uses type C.

Type A and Type C are the standards here to stay.

why dont they make type a rotatble?

but why, when C is already here.
USB-A will be soon gone just like LPT cables for printers, or VGA and DVI for displays are now. Just give it a few years.

c is too small. on larger devices its pretty pointless. when you have to be rough with them c wears out faster due to being smaller

They really should replace micro-usb with type-C, but Type-A isn't going away soon because it's so much more durable.

>but Type-A isn't going away soon because it's so much more durable.
is there any hard data on this? (serious question, I couldn't find anything on USB-A vs USB-C, only how USB-C is supposedly a lot more durable than mini and micro USB and some marketing BS)

It's a matter of physics.
>help, my USB Type B broke
That never happens because it's built like a tank.

If you google USB Type C phones charging port breaking you should be able to find something. Type A like type B, although can't be used on phones, is built like a tank.

>>help, my USB Type B broke
>That never happens because it's built like a tank.
I see you've never met my sister ;)
There's not a single connection, cable or device that she won't break in less than a year of use.
And yes, she has all but one of the USB-A ports broken on her laptop already.

You must be a newfag if you didn't get his point

People have been doing this since the fucking 90s. They're called docks. USB-C just makes it so all laptops have docking capability.

is exactly what I said.
Why would you want to pay extra money for a big ugly bulky device to sit on your desk if you can get the sam result by using a single inexpensive cable that's probably bundled with your monitor anyway.

Yeah, we're still in early adoption.

Eventually all the gaymen motherboards will have two USB-C, five/six USB 3.0, then the ratio reverses until 3.0 is legacy like PS/2 and USB 2.0 slots.

When Corsair releases a USB-C headset or keyboard, then it's finally in the normalized upper part of the curve.

usb2 slots are just to be cheap

>but a notebook without any USB-A slot is just retarded.
hahaha nigga you dumb?
I have a shitbix that I use for emulation and for when I need legacy stuff like floppies, USB-A, etc.

>I see you've never met my sister ;)
>There's not a single connection, cable or device that she won't break in less than a year of use.
tell your sister she can use and break me anytime (^:

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

>le USB-C is the only current USB meme
Try not to connect anything to it that uses any other USB type. Not so legacy now, faggot?

>16gb SD
>Class 10
>30MB/s

>the """"cloud""""
>not someone else's computer
>implying

I never said use iCloud. In fact stay away from apple products in general if you care about your privacy in the slightest.

You haven't heard of google drive leaks, have you?

Lel what a dumpster fire of an invention that thing is.

It already has, it just seems isn't going to replace every other IO like you want it to.
History is going to repeat wether you like it or not.

>thinking that trusting apple with your data is a bad idea but literally everyone else is a-okay
>mentions caring about privacy and google in the same sentence
How naïve are you?

You clearly are, apple shill.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICloud_leaks_of_celebrity_photos

hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/

>USB C eliminated the the reason for docking stations
I have to use a USB C dock daily to set up these shitty computers that don't have ethernet ports. It's fucking awful.

Fuck off, macfag. I don't want everything to have a battery that can run out

As long as manufacturers keep this one port meme up we will always require fucking docking stations

Tech Nigger says it will very soon, so it will, very soon.

Look for Thunderbolt 3 compatible USB-C, some manufacturers are cramping USB-C ports with USB 2.0 standards

that poster is a retard of the highest order.
Most likely a downie, ignore him.

>One port
And making everything as thin as possible.

Trash. I'm always gonna use square usb ports

>Before
>Have charging port, hdmi, thunderbolt, and 3 USB ports
>All have their own clear purpose
>Now
>Have 2 USB C ports with vague symbols next to them indicating which is capable of which functions
>Massive loss of functionality and usability for aesthetics and being reversible
Hopefully not.

Wifi is a thing that exists

For security purposes some companies require you to be connected via ethernet to cache your profile/join the domain.

>Before
>Have charging port, hdmi, thunderbolt, and 3 USB ports
>All have their own clear purpose and can't be used interchangeably with each other so if you need 2 hdmis, you're fucked. If your charging port breaks, you're fucked etc.
>Now
>the same space is taken up by 6 usb-c ports and any one of them can be used for any purpose.

6 usb-c ports

Try one

just use a hub lol

>To make devices thinner they're removing ports and using nothing but USB C
>To have the same functionality of the thicker devices you need to now carry around at the very least an extra dock/hub instead of a single device
This is the opposite of progress.

If your laptop manufacturer only gives you 1 usb-c port, they would've given you 1 usb-a port before.
If you have 6 ports on your device, like in the previous example, it' moe beneficial for all of them to be usb-c than to have different ports for different purposes.
At least after usb-c is widely supported - for now it would be probably the best to have 3 usb-c and 3 usb-a

Too bad manufactures can't get on the fucking ball about this shit, only Apple seems to have actually made there type-c port universal but it's not without issues.
All the other OEMs don't seems to give a shit.
>see usb-c port on front panel
>try to plug in thunderbolt device
>oh no! that port is only usb
>have to plug it into the back
>only one out of the 4 on the back are actually thunderbolt
Change everything to one port and now OEMs have just made it a confusing clusterfuck compared to what was marketed and promised

If the device was advertised as having multiple usb-c ports, I'd return it as defective.
Cheap shitty oems will never learn if people continue to buy their cheap shitty stuff and not return it when the find out how shitty it is.
Hell, I've seen some laptops and monitors with a usb-a port that was "charging only"

>two USB-C, five/six USB 3.0
>ah ah ah

bring back mini b connectors

Literally every device that's gone all USB-C has used it as an excuse to cut ports though and I don't recall any with more than 4. If given the option manufacturers will be cheap fucks every single time.

the worst™ USB

that's just apple being gay and a handful of others following suit. I doubt it will happen to every device ever, unless there's no market for laptops with multiple ports.

Way better than micro usb

>bulky enough that it wouldn't fit on any modern smartphone
>despite that, just as flimsy
>wears out faster (rated at 1000 to 5000 insertions VS micro usb's 10,000)

micro usb shits the bed at 4 years and is flimsy garbage

>micro usb shits the bed at 4 years and is flimsy garbage
Of course it is, noone is denying that.
But mini was EVEN WORSE. The early versions lasted at most for 1000 insertions, which was later fixed with a minor redesign, but wast still pretty bad.
Micro USB, on the other hand, is easier to handle improperly - some people are hamfisted enough to insert it upside down. But treated properly, it will last at least 2x longer than a mini USB of similar quality

Probably, but I think it'll take a few years before it becomes anything near commonplace.

What about thunderbolt? How does that fit in?

I didn't have a problem with mini, myself. Micro is so god awful that I would prefer to use lighting. And no, lightning is not a good port, I just wanted to stress how fucking horrid Micro is. It never should have been adopted.

Yes.