/tpg/: Thinkpad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for superior 8470p

hey guys, old thread got archived so i figured i'd post the new one seeing as nobody else had. anyways
how about battery life on the 2720qm? waa that negatively affected? also, how much jewish trickery would it take to fuse the other copper pipe into the main one so they're both taking the most heat from the CPU?

literally a mac ripoff

What is X60 good for? Thinking of grabbing one for $50

not worth for $50 bucks imo, at max pay ~$40 for mint condition and $30 for used condition. easy libreboot process (no soldering required), but rather slow, limited to 3gb ram (chipset limit) and CPU is soldered to mainboard. also its resolution doesnt even hit 720x1280. kinda shit nowadays but if all you do is shitpost on Sup Forums and do light browsing and coding in general you should be alright
have fun with your proprietary bios man

enjoy shitty keyboard layout

have fun with DRM batteries
KEK

>no middle mouse button
garbage

fn being on the left makes the most sense, the rest are valid criticisms. fn being on the left means that if you sort of 'ignore' it, everything is in the right place. sticking something on the end makes more sense than jamming it in between two things. you're probably thinking that remembering the bottom left key is ctrl is most important, but for someone who uses ctrl/super/alt about equally, or super the most possibly, I'd rather know those are next to each other than care fn got bumped in there.

I've used mechanical keyboards for a while now, so I guess ideally I would put the fn on the right in place of the menu key.

>have fun with your proprietary bios man
This is a good point. We should mention Libreboot and compatible Libreboot machines in the OP.

I'm extremely excited for Libreboot support on the X220T. I heard it'll probably happen before the end of the year. Do you think it's worth flashing coreboot for now?

Which model are you comparing it to? Superior is a relative term.

I really don't think that matters as much as having Intel ME running wild on your machine.

>$40
>$30
Do you actually ever see them sold this cheap?

Reposting from last thread!

Here's what's left of my X201! I bought a X200 on ebay with a decent processor and swapped the innards around, here are the specs:

- 8GB's of RAM
- 250GB SSD
- Core2 P8700
- Librebooted
- Japanese keyboard
- Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Card
- HV121WX4-120 Matte Display

All running a completely FOSS operating system! My daily driver is complete!

fn can be swapped with ctrl in the bios

>Japanese keyboard

Perhaps Dell can be better than thinkpads, but HP really are trash tier.

>have fun with your proprietary bios man
You can remove ME and there is no whitelist. Besides apparently coreboot comes to elitebooks

>want to buy thinkpad for college (comp sci)
>they're all bulky as fuck or 1700 dollars
i just want a good processor(i5 6gen+), 1080 IPS and 9+ hour battery life without selling my kidney for christ sake

I'm looking forward to buy a T440p with i5-4300M and I have a question about [spoiler]video games[/spoiler].
It has Intel HD Graphics 4600 and I'm wondering if it will be enough to play some comfy shit like Civ5 or XCOM once in a while.
Would appreciate the feedback.

>[spoiler]video games[/spoiler].
I'm retarded

I think you misspelled 2570p
Otherwise you're retarded

T430 or t450. T440p is shit

I can't find T450 without shitty ULV cpu and T430 have absolutely horrid integrated graphics.

How powerful can I get a W530?
That is to say, What is the most powerful CPU I could put in it, and how much you rekkon I could get it for?

Holy shit it's hard to make a

>he doesn't know how to remap keys

Pg up and pg dn buttons being next to the arrow keys is fantastic placement. They're all navigational buttons and should be together.

>Pg up and pg dn buttons being next to the arrow keys is fantastic placement.
Tis true. I can keep my hand resting on the arrow /pg keys and be able to scroll down pages slowly or quickly. Great for reading things.

Exactly. Had it on my Dell Latitude, was happy to see the Thinkpad's got it, too.

about $138 with shipping

Is this a scam? should i go for it?

>tfw my boss threw away some x200's before I knew what they were

Is an x200 without battery worth 90-125 on ebay? It seems like x220's have gone way up in price lately

No. You can get a X200 on ebay easily for less than $60. Your price range looks better for a X220. My girlfriend got her X220T for $90 on ebay, and it's in great condition.

Off-lease equipment is plentiful. You might end up with a beat-down example; "refurbished" doesn't mean that much on Amazon.

For work we purchased 30 refurb dells; out of that about 5 had serious problems.

Do cheap thinkpads with nordic keyboards even exist? All the cheap ones I find have US/UK layouts. I just need a 300-400e one for programming at uni.

Cool beans. As I understand it, the x200 can be librebooted whereas the x220s aren't there yet?

UK layout is ISO, so it'll work with a nordic layout.

Just avoid US because it's ANSI and it'll miss out some of the keys.

Correct. Apparently some progress was made on the front of the XX20 series, but another roadblock was met and we have yet to see a release date. I wouldn't bet on it being very soon is all.

Has anybody used the SquareTrade plans sold on ebay? I see the option on thinkpads that are possibly broken/untested.

If I was getting a T430, what would I regret less?

The 1366x768 with dedicated graphics or 1600x900 with only integrated graphics?

I'm still trying to find a cheap laptop. is Lenovo 110-15ACL good enough to play shitty browser games and watch anime? my other option I think is HP 15-ba009dx. I need something by this afternoon so I really don't have time to look around.

Personally I would go for the higher resolution. I don't do any gaming though. I like the flexibility in having more pixels available.

Are you buying something locally? Most shitty $300+ laptops from wally world or staples work well enough these days.

I used to work a help desk for college students, this is my experience.

I've been searching for hours trying to find an old model of thinkpad and the trail keeps going cold, I used it years ago and it's definitely not a model Lenovo sell anymore.
I know it's a longshot but can somebody help me solve this mystery?

Definite features it had.

>rotating hinge for the screen, but it twisted, it wasn't a folding one
>could be used like a tablet and you could draw on it
>port on the right side to hold a stylus pen (many thinkpads I see don't have this)
>surprisingly decent for gaming, you could run C&C generals on this thing no problem
>screen wasn't tiny, would have been bigger than 10 inches

Thanks in advance.

coreboot is superior for newer machines. libreboot wont be able to fully remove the ME(me) soo just dont. and because of the complicated libreboot process on the X200t I dont think the X220t will be easy to libreboot either. so imo don't, just flash corebooty

yea, I'm a lucky guy

pretty much every X-Tablet one lul
so X60t, X200t, X201t, X220t and maybe X230t

Sounds like an x200 tablet.

Is the y520 any good for its price (900 pounds here in UK)?

- 15.6 inch screen
- 4k screen (apparently)
- Nvidia GTX 1050 ti

I hear it's display has problems with brightness, but I'd be doing light gaming and plugging in a wacom tablet to draw with, to give an idea of its usage.

Any other cool shit or is it best avoided?

>how about battery life on the 2720qm? waa that negatively affected?
Only at high loads, 45w tdp is supposed to be at 100% cpu usage, both the qm and stock cpus hover around 6-15w in normal usage so no difference there.

>T440p is shit
Elaborate, i like mine.

>but the shit clickpad
Agree but it's easily moddable

shameful, shitty button placement.

Not the gut you replied to but I have some questions about T440p.
How is temperature and noise under load?

just get the uk one and swap the keyboard then

The screen on a t430 is gonna be shit regardless. Get the powerful one unless you need big documents or anything.

This is with Prime95 stress test running, Actual / Min (Idling) / Maximum reached. Temps were way better than i expected imo so i'm upgrading to a quad core processor as soon as i see something cheap pop up on eBay.

About the noise no idea since i don't know how to measure it accurately but as a reference it's noticeable in a somewhat quiet room while being quieter than the fan in my T420 with both laptops running Prime95.

i5 4210 and no iGPU here, I've never seen the mobo/CPU go higher than 70 under 100% load. I haven't tested synthetics though. You can always swap the heatsink for the one on the iGPU model if you have issues. It's pretty quiet too, thanks to being pretty thicc.

Both screens are garbage, you're going to want to swap it out with the X1 Carbon 1st gen or Alienware M14x R2 screen either way

Also, for the dGPU version, the VGA port doesn't work unless the dGPU is turned on

>I bought a X200 on ebay with a decent processor and swapped the innards around
For what purpose?

Enjoy your TN garbage screen

>front of palmrest does not slope down
Why even bother?

hey Sup Forumsuys, my sister's laptop just became a residential maggot beach surfer and we're looking at a thinkpad for 900$. yesterday i heard from you guys that the quality drop was obvious between the 2/4 30s and 40s and i wanted to know if the current generations are back to being at least passable? otherwise we'll look for other options. current budget's 900$ and the t470p or something similar is available for 940$, a slight stretch out of the previously detailed price range. her classes start on wednesday, so there's not enough time to go full Sup Forumsentooman and set an t420/x200 or some such.

a-anybody?

>sister
just look for t420s, t430s, t440/s or the X series and buy the cheapest one that doesn't look like shit

I'm buying locally and it has to be under $300. I just need something I can take with me when I'm travelling.

i WOULD do that but again, classes start in 4 days and my folks "don't trust refurb" so what i really want to know if the quality went back up after the haswell thinkpads

>so there's not enough time to go full Sup Forumsentooman and set an t420/x200 or some such.
What is there to set up?
>install an os
Done, wow that was fucking hard!
Literally the same you would do on a new laptop

It's not refurbs, it's laptops that were never broken to begin with

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

would 'resold' be the right word then? i'm with you on this one but they want a current laptop and I believe a thinkpad is the way to go.

Why are people so into the older models? None of them have USB C or the latest gen processors. The newer models are far better in terms of being future proof. ThinkPads are not MacBooks and MacBooks are not ThinkPads.

I get thinkpad durability and a lower price since I'm into older games I don't need all the flash new features.

Hell I can even draw with the one I want to get.

i don't need that stuff for what i use a laptop for! i keep my desktop around for boring tech shit, when my t420 arrives i'm gonna use it to take notes and such, and at one hundred US dollars i can't ask for much more than that

For being free obviously?

>buying new thinkpads
user.

because they're 1/8th the price and are still perfectly capable machines

The latest gen processors aren't much faster because they are ULV.

>shitty ulv cpu
It's sandy bridge tier performance
But the igpu is fucked
>horrid integrated
That's the T420

If for some reason you were to buy a new MacBook, would you get an older one or a current model?

But why not just use the X200 without swapping shit then?

What is gained by swapping?

Probably is
I play mgstpp on my T430

I would either get late 2012 (because it has a real hard drive bay and not proprietary ssd that costs $800 for 1tb) or 2015 MBP otherwise

2017 MBP looks awful to me and the keyboard is trash

>xx40 is shit meme
(You)

I would immediately return it and buy another, better computer because I'm not a latte sipping hippy.

> less than 30kb
You do know the limit is like 3 mb or something
Right?

Why shell out for a trackpad replacement to fix xx40 when I could just buy xx50 instead and have the rest of the laptop as an upgrade too?

The older one because it's user serviceable.

Soldered shit designed with programmed obsolescence in mind only belong in the trash.

900p igpu only
The dpgu is housefire anyway

gimme the logo i'll fix it for you fagboi

it's 30kb or the flasher gives you an "image is 2big" error irc

Sounds like any of the tablets

>soldered unupgradeable processor
that's a downgrade

Not a thinkpad user
We wouldn't know how shit it is
That said it's probably consumer trash

latest one without a memebar

>no igpu
What

Most xx40s are soldered too
Only t440p and t540p are not

But p's have their own issues of course

T430 catched my attention and I have some questions.
What specs?
I have my eye on i7-3520M with NVS 5400M GPU. Do you have similar hardware?
Is a dedicated GPU a housefire maker? Is it loud?
Hardware and price seem too good to be true to me.

What issues?
From what I hear the 440p is great while it's the newer p's like 460p or 470p that are bad

user I'm pretty sure he just bought the mobo?

This
T460p/T470p throttle out the ass
T440p doesn't throttle ever even on battery