/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13742041
sourcemage.org/
lwn.net/Articles/288430/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just installed Linux Mint. It's a good choice for new users from what I've seen so far.

OK so. Manjaro+openRC has been my recent fave go to for Linux because the architect installer is easy enough for me as a Linux noob to figure out, but I get to use AUR and make it relatively lean with minimal XFCE. But they've dropped it to move to Artix Linux now and merged with the systemD free Arch whatever it was called. And now from their page the install page is missing and only migration is left up. I wanted to do a base install but it's just a live ISO... I can boot that obviously but I have no idea where to go from there because it's a totally new distro and the regular Arch Linux installer guides all use systemd references. Where do I go from here cause I'd like to move to Artix and figure it out more but I really don't know what to search honestly. -_- tia

strawpoll.me/13742041
strawpoll.me/13742041
strawpoll.me/13742041

GNOME or KDE?

Anyone here use LXC (as opposed to LXD) in Debian (LXD isn't available in Debian, that's why)?

I want to set up a container to avoid shitting up my main system, probably going to be Debian within Debian or maybe Alpine, anything to keep it simple. How is LXC?

Is there some guide to minimal kernel configuration?
I want to make the smallest kernel possible and I want to know which features I absolutely need for a working desktop system.

Install Source Mage GNU/Linux
sourcemage.org/

ARCH LINUX IS A SHIT

stop spamming

LXC is good. I recommend managing your LXC containers with virt-manager.

You couldn't handle 290km/h anyway.

Just use make kconfig and Google/code dive for every option that you don't understand.

>code dive
what do you mean?
is there documentation embedded in the source code?

You can look at the argument parsing and see how each one modifies behavior.

What arguments are you talking about?
.config options?
How do I found out how they're parsed?

Please spoonfeed me the proper method of installing nvidia drivers on ubuntu 17.04. I've wasted a lot of hours trying to not black screen on reboot, and the usual grub fixes don't work.
gpu: gtx 1060
Spoonfeed me as in please show me someone who has succesfully done this, and shows how.

Read the code. That's all it comes down to.

Why does it say "If unsure, say Y" here?
I don't think I'm using any 32bit PCI devices..

Forgot pic.
Also, I don't have an AMD processor.

It says that because if you don't include the driver and you need it, USB and sound stop working.

Do you think I need it on an x220?

Im about to install Ubuntu. LTS or the latest one?

Nvm I found a good explanation lwn.net/Articles/288430/

DO YOU ACTUALLY HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE? WERE YOU DROPPED ON YOUR HEAD AS A CHILD? HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY BE THIS FUCKING DUMB? IT SAYS "FOR AMD PROCESSORS" AND YOU HAVE AN INTEL SYSTEM. GEE GOLLY GEEPERS I SURE WONDER IF YOU NEED THAT KERNEL MODULE.

LTS.

Do you want stable or the latest software?
Please stop yelling.

>Do you want stable or the latest software?
Id say stable. It is for my dad.

LTS then.

>>Do you want stable or the latest software?
wat, software freshness isn't related to the ubuntu version

Distros which don't follow the rolling release model are useless.

The source code is documentation. It sometimes even had comments.
The kconfig files enable modules to be built, they list what files and directories.

No-one here uses ubuntu and proprietary drivers.

How long does it take to compile mpv?

i saw a command here the other day to get invisible windows in i3, what was it again?

Not long. Compilation really, really benefits from fast SSDs or ramdisks and moar cores.

i asked in the last thread but nobody could answer; recommend me a distro that will work on a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet with an intel atom at 1.4ghz and 2gb ram

Lubuntu / Xubuntu

Does rsync -u work between ext4 and ntfs? Can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or not because I don't know the first thing about ntfs. Or ext4, for that matter.

Most of those are 32 bit UEFI and a 64 bit CPU. The Debian amd64/i386 netinstall image is your best bet for an amd64 install.

How to achieve the maximum quality transparent audio output on Linux?

Use a USB DAC and (not meming) PulseAudio. It can make even cheapass Amazon Basic speakers sound glorious.

Make me

Transparent?

Sounds good thanks

I have a very nice DAC. I want to get the most of it.
As close to pure sound as possible without any sound effects or other shit modifying it. On win i used WASAPI output to bypass all of the windows bullshit.

Nevermind, I'm dumb and it works now.

that sounds right, gonna try installing that now.

Should i tick those two?

Just the first.

the second also unless you don't mind waiting till you need it to find out you're missing an audio codec or shit like that

Actually don't listen to that fag, just tick the 2nd. If you download updates the installation will take ages.

make sure whatever you're using has a modern kernel like 4.11 or 4.12, they got the hella driver upgrades in recent kernels

adding in 32 bit uefi to any linux distro install media is pretty ezmodo and installing 32 bit uefi ain't no struggle

>install a bag of nonfree software, just in case

>missing an audio codec
Isnt my audio player or whatnot should be able to decode everything?

Linux doesn't use any bullshit or effects by default. All output is transparent with ALSA or PulseAudio unless you specifically dick with it to be otherwise.

>Muh freedum
Do we need to bring /flt/ back yet again? People should install whatever the fuck they like

unless you're a freetard it's shit you'll need

Reposting because I like it:

>about to cross the street
>someone yells: HOLD ON, A CAR IS COMING!
>you: REEEE STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO DO

Nowadays yes. It's basically just downloading the """officially licensed""" codec implementations, which back 15 years ago were all you could get.

that is in no way a sane comparison, and the fact that you think it is, says a lot about your mental state

>People should install whatever the fuck they like
Did anyone forbid installing anything?

So defaults are as good as it gets?
>ALSA or PulseAudio
Are they equal in sound quality?

+1, beat me to it

>/flt/
You mean that 404'd satire thread?

Guys, chill. I just dont want to install any unnecessary "mp3 and other media" bloat if i can just install mpv and it will play everything just fine.

If you miss anything, you can install it later anyway.

It's still in the archive. We can bring it back any time you stop taking your autism meds.
You shut up. This isn't about you any more.

okay i figured it out:
i3-msg open

but, this window is kind of glitchy and shows a title bar even when i have them disable - how do i fix this?

The defaults just expose the kernel drivers via thin userspace library wrapper and let applications do with it what they will (ALSA), or provide a sound server that doesn't mess with EQ or effects by default (PulseAudio). PulseAudio has a bit of latency overhead, but is generally better for playback, and provides a very nice point and click interface for managing inputs, outputs, per-application volumes, and the like, called pavucontrol. I honestly miss pavucontrol when I have to use Windows. If you want to get really esoteric there's JACK, but JACK is just a lower latency audio server and uses the same ALSA kernel drivers anyway.

comm -23

What are some cool terminal commands?

Pulse uses alsa. Not sure how to tell pulse to stop transcoding to 48k and just give your dac 44.1 but you might want to look that up.

Thanks a lot guys. Can you suggest me some good audio player?

I'll soon complete my ryzen build, and hopefully install arch on it. Any major problems on this plataform that I should be aware of? (I mean, linux running on ryzen)

There's an entire thread discussing that up right now, and I've already posted in it. Here ya go.

i've heard that if you try to do some heavy compiling on ryzen, you will get a segfault, i don't know if it's still true, but looked like a nasty problem,

There's an obscure bug that can cause segfaults if you're running 16+ compiler threads at once on some of the early Ryzen chips. AMD is looking into it.

I see. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I've heard that the linux experience atm was not optimal, but is stable enough for daily stuff. I guess I'll be fine then.

Install arch
Follow the openrc wiki page during installation

Never use downstream distro's

What DE or WM would be best for control with a keyboard but with out much of a learning curve? The primary things I would like to do (aside from alt tab) is resize and move/manage my open windows and launch/close applications.
I was thinking maybe just lxqt and some kind of launcher program?
I have a 2016 laptop so it's a modern synaptics touchpad but god is it so fucking bad.
I don't own any Apple products but damn would I like to have one of those non-pro macbooks for that touchpad and screen right about now.
Thanks for your time guys, I'm open to any suggestions. Base is vanilla arch with xfce at the moment.

>is "starting out"
>but he's already so advanced that he demands a different system management suite that's not systemd

>Never use downstream distro's
should be enshrined in OP

Looking for a lightweight, user friendly, easy to use and decent looking distro for a fairly old ASUS eee pc, thank you very much!

Every distribution can be the same amount of lightweight.
Every distribution can be the same amount of user friendly.
Every distribution can look the same.

Maybe try new criteria which actually matter.

Every window manager offers keyboard shortcuts to change, open, close and move windows.

Just looking for a quick fix to my old man's laptop and I don't have a lot, if any experience with Linux.

>old man
Put windows on it then retard,if you cant fix it why do you think your old man is going to know a brand new interface?

Well even he complains about the speed so I figured it'd run a bit smoother if it ran linux.

Install Ubuntu like any other person.

I have a disk image stored on the network and mounted as a loop device on one of my machines. Will shit blow up if I mount it on a different machine at the same time?

Is there a browser that's recommended when switching from Windows to a Linux distro?
I've used Chrome in the past which had some nice apps such as uBlock and a soundcloud downloader

[ 1.889864] [drm:new_mmio_info [i915]] *ERROR* gvt: dup mmio definition offset 22040
[ 1.890418] [drm:new_mmio_info [i915]] *ERROR* gvt: dup mmio definition offset 138124
[ 1.933155] [drm:new_mmio_info [i915]] *ERROR* gvt: dup mmio definition offset 1a028
[ 1.933345] [drm:new_mmio_info [i915]] *ERROR* gvt: dup mmio definition offset 940c
[ 1.933407] [drm:new_mmio_info [i915]] *ERROR* gvt: dup mmio definition offset 4ab0
[ 1.933450] [drm:new_mmio_info [i915]] *ERROR* gvt: dup mmio definition offset 20d4

Why is this happening

KWin lets you set custom keyboard shortcuts for literally a 100+ window management actions, and as for launching apps (and much more), krunner is god-tier.

Is it possible to make a shortcut for Spectacle to trigger a rectangle selection screenshot?

Firefox is free software.

I've got Debian in my 701 but it's a tight squeeze these days.

Try lubuntu.

I don't know what Spectacle is, but it is possible.

>bind keyboard shortcut to launch a script
>the script gets a selection with slop
>feeds that to some screenshooting program
>it saves it