/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HXAV0UY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P01VR6930
youtube.com/watch?v=3v_8g9vhNzk
amazon.com/HIFIMAN-Closed-Foldable-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B01DZQT9UM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1503178004&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hifiman edition s&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=Cb2_iJkE01g
hauptmikrofon.de/theile/1986-3_Standardization-of-studio-headphones_JAES-1986.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=kx7aH_YMrvM
headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-600-avantgarde
youtube.com/watch?v=ZKWGE7JtYBk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Din-dins are ready!

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Feed me memes.

MEMES!

Kill yourself you poorfag

>there are people in this very thread right now that paid more then $10 for headphones that they eq'd to sound like staxs
Wew fucking lad

I think up to a couple hundred are worth it for luxurious comfort when it comes to a candidate for equalization, but beyond that is ludicrous.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Today I will remind them.

A 50 dollar USB dac and a 20 dollar pair of headphones from walgreens.

>Paying for comfort
>Not forcing yourself to mentally ignore the headphones
How does it feel overpaying for shit?

Ahagon and hifumi love HD600 too.
Nene uses the cheaper HD579s, as she's still just a student scrapping by.

>Snap

>tralucent, dulce+ mids

What did user mean by this?

This. Also reminder there are some things eq cannot correct like ringing, nulls in the frequency response, and distortion.

>Yunposting on Sup Forums

TL;DR: HD600 are great and you should buy them

>There are some things eq cannot correct
>Being this flawed when it comes to eq'ing
I shiggy diggy

>actually spending more than 20 dollarydoos
>on a shitty pair of sennheiser placebos
just EQ my shit up

It clearly means pellucid, euphonic midrange. Don't you speak English?

Really?

I picked up a PV2V2 at a garage sale for $2.
Is this thing any good?

Literally end-game.

any god-tier alternatives to this? I want leather only because it's easier to keep clean

amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HXAV0UY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Are the HM5 sheepskin ones an actual alternative? Foam looks too thin on it.

How uncomfortable are etymotic headphones really? They seem to be the best iem under $500 but I don't wanna have to take them out after 3 hours

>paying more than 20$ for a pair of headphones
>not just EQing efficiently

>dollarydoos
>I shiggy diggy
>wew fucking lad

You might as well give yourself a trip at this rate, user.

>can't even (you) properly
Wew fucking lad

I'm no audiophile, but I got the new Piston Hybrid's. I don't know if this is the right term, but they sound a bit "empty". Something seems off about them, and they're also stupidly loud compared to my other earphones.
What's going on here? I've got a broken pair of original Hybrid's, only one side works though so any comparison I make is based off one ear. I'm not sure they seem as good though really. I liked my old Piston Hybrids

What should I get in their place? KZ's I'm not high on, just looking for suggestions.

>put shp9500 driver in hd600 housing
>eq to hd600
>compare AB
you think they'll sound identical?

Depends on the sleeves used. Compliant sleeves, soft silicone and foam will help. I can wear them for more than 16 hours at a time.
The fit issue is overstated, and the Etys in general are much slimmer than most other earphones. Simple to insert, without requiring you to force some giant bulge deep. But not everyone actually likes putting things in their ear to start with.

You want bass
niggbass is good and most people would probably even prefer it.
t. Sony XBA fan

>Being this easily irritated
I shiggy diggy doo, famalamabam senpai

If I input analog audio into a line out port on my dac, will it damage it? (the out port is a secondary one that dosen't go through the amp)

So, any suggestions? I did quite like my Piston 2's, maybe my favourite IEM's actually and they're considered quite bassy, aren't they?
Maybe that is it, weird though considering I don't listen to much with bass, though I know they're in different contexts

What's the latest good cheap headphones under $50? Fell for the Superlux 668B memes when they break within a year.

SHP9500 is $50 on new egg. K240 is about $55. Porta pros and Koss KSC75 are nice

>Under $50
:^)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

plz help ;_;

Last time I heard about the shp9500 people said it literally fell off your head at slight movement. True?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P01VR6930

:D

The SHP9500 does; the SHP9500S has a tighter clamp, but is still pretty light. Newegg is selling the S. The non-S has been discontinued for quite awhile now.

>Under $50
:^)

I'm looking for: $80-$150, detachable cable, foldable, and open back.

I'm on superlux hd681 and am ok with it except the cable doesn't detach, it doesn't fold, it's not really comfortable, and highs can be bad.

I'm looking at ath-m40x but I'm concerned about the non-existent sound stage from being closed.

BAD BOI
youtube.com/watch?v=3v_8g9vhNzk

S-sorry

Etymotic comfort varies from user to user due to differences in ear canal size and shape.

>foldable open back with detach cable

Hifiman edition s?

amazon.com/HIFIMAN-Closed-Foldable-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B01DZQT9UM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1503178004&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hifiman edition s&psc=1

Never forget.

Sennheiser 518/558

Beyerdynamic DT990 if using EQ.

Can't EQ away non-linear distortion.

>HD579
That's excellent value. Idol trash approves.
youtube.com/watch?v=Cb2_iJkE01g

>noise from a frontal loudspeaker
>frontal
The key word here is frontal. The sound of a frontal loudspeaker is not relevant here. See: hauptmikrofon.de/theile/1986-3_Standardization-of-studio-headphones_JAES-1986.pdf
>A study of recent work on the properties of spatial hearing shows that the free-field equalization applied to headphones cannot produce good results. A more satisfactory equalization is obtained by reference to the diffuse field...
Headphones do not present spectral properties similar to that of frontal speakers.
Free-field (frontal) equalization in headphones produces linear distortions referred to in the above study as "tone color defects." Therefore, HD600's accuracy relative to frontal speakers is completely irrelevant in terms of its perceived neutrality.

But they ain't foldable...

Then see

The point is VARIANCE between listeners.

I don't think these fold.

That actually looks pretty ideal if they actually manage to do open/close setting well.

They don't fold, that's why I deleted. Neither does

Putting
>HD600
>neutral
at the top of the image leads one to believe that the point is not demonstrating that different people will perceive any headphone differently, but to attack the HD600 by implying it's not neutral because people don't perceive it the same as they do frontal speakers.

Are there any headphones/earbuds you guys recommend for use when sleeping?

I've gone through two different headphones so far and I sure it's because I slept with them on

Budget?

IEMs with replaceable cables, and sleep on your back

KZ ZS5 desu

Sorry should have stated that, I'm looking to spend no more than $100 this time

youtube.com/watch?v=kx7aH_YMrvM

I've woken up with a pair of damaged Bose qc3...somehow I managed to get them from my head to my back in a folded position

I've also damaged a couple Sony iem as well..but the QC3 being damaged hurts the most

Can't you just buy parts? Like this:
headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-600-avantgarde

I'm sure I could but I'll probably spend more on parts than I would buying a used on eBay. I wouldn't even know where to begin to figure out how to fix it. There's a lack of QC3 guides online

I'm not surprised. That's why I recommended a cheap, cost-effective IEM like the ZS5

You could get an extra braided cable for it, as well as some more comfortable eartips for sleeping in

Well, maybe BOSE wasn't a good idea after all, in hindsight.
When making the decision on spending on items for long term use like headphones, things like availability of spare parts do matter and should weight into the decision.

Looking for a new pair of headphones and a amp for my recordplayer and computer.
What do you guys think about the magni+modi u2 combo paired with the hd600?

HD600 or HD650 and an NFB-11.28

Depends on your record player though, I don't know what you have

Idol trash here. It's a great combo, that much I can tell you.

Looking around for a recordplayer as well but since my headphones died that takes higher priority.
Any tips on a decent recordplayer?

It'll work well yeah. Schiit also makes a phono preamp so you could make a 3 stack.

I have slept countless nights with my Sony MDR-V6 on. Most of the time I wake up with them next to my pillow because of all the turning during sleep. Keep in mind that they may block the sound of your alarm in the morning (if you still have them on somehow). This is why I always set an alarm on my phone and my alarm clock.

I've had these headphones since Januari 11 2013. I have been using them every day for multiple hours since I got them and they still work fine.

I wouldn't really recommend sleeping with full size cans, but if you do intent to sleep with them on, get a pair with a flat cup backing (especially if you intent to sleep on your side).

One that connects to your computer via USB, I guess? I'm not too familiar with them, but that way you wouldn't need to worry about having to get an amp with a phono input for it

I usually done that, and it turns out my female jack got busted first than my headphone. Sony classics truly build like a tank, huh

Err, well actually if you had one with USB you'd just plug it straight into the NFB-11, I guess?

Maybe you got a fake pair. It's still a tank in my book.

>Budget 100 Euro
>Location Ireland
>Source Any
>Type of headphone Over the ear
>Open or closed Open
>Comfort level Important
>Sound signature good bass yo
>Past headphones Apple earpods (Don't even ask)

They're a fine purchase, used the, countless times during rides in the subway etc

The problem is I'm not sure WHAT broke so buying parts isn't an option as I can't find any solutions online at all. I'll probably look into those Chinese items the user recommended You know I was looking into those ZS5 but there are several versions of those on Amazon, which one should I look into? I'll probably bite for those with the mic cable
What would be the strangest place the headphones ended up after you've woken up? Even with all the turning, I still don't know how mine ended up on my back folded. Curious to see what happens in my sleep because I know I turn around a lot since my sheets end up on the ground at times

I'm pretty new with this trying to figure out all the connections I need and I have to say it is a labyrinth.
Lets say I get the magni+modi u2 combo then I'll have the magni plugged into the modi plugged into my computer. Then I guess I'll have to unplug the modi and connect my recordplayer to the magni in order to use it.
The dream would be to have a amp and dac with the ability to have both the recordplayer and my computer plugged in at the same time but I guess that isn't a thing.

Stretch a little to HD579, else HD558.
Avoid HD559, it's worse.

Actually nevermind. I'll just get the magni, modi, mani and sys from schiit and I'll get everything I need. Guess I'll waste a lot of money and that I will have a huge stack of equipment but whatever.

Sry for bad english

>What would be the strangest place the headphones ended up after you've woken up?
I honestly don't know. I don't think my headphones have ever ended up in a weird place.

I have had other smaller items (like my mini gamepad) that ended up between the sheets at the foot end of my bed. I honestly thought I lost it, but I eventually found it when I was changing out my bed sheets.

>spending almost 400 dollars on chink brand snake oil

Satania a cute. A cute!!

*frosty chink brand snake oil

A quality audio source external from the rest of your system is a good investment, but if you're satisfied using on-board or a sound card, that's fine by me

>muh quality
There is literally no objective measurable difference between a 50 dollar USB dac and a 400 dollar imported from china placebo. An "end-game" dac/amp combo unit should not cost more than 100$ USD, full stop, and if you paid more than that, you're an audiophool.

Idols ftw \o/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZKWGE7JtYBk

For sleeping? Not ZS5.

>NFB-11.28
lol

Sorry you feel that way, user, but I assure you that spending a few hundred combined on an amp and DAC is not nearly audiophool territory.

?

Yeah, I'd say even spending up to $800 bucks isn't audiophool stuff. You ought to try the NFB-1AMP, I've heard it's even better than the 11! Not a scam, I swear.

Seriously, if you're not just joking around trying to be ironic and you actually wasted that much money on a placebo, you are mentally ill and need to get help.

Not user, but what do you own?

Why would I need all that power?

Thanks for the laugh, user

>Why would I need all that power?
It's not about the power, it sounds better.

What's /hpg/ got on deck?