New Os

Hello Sup Forums am new to this whole changing os thing and am looking into getting into using Linux, what would you guys recommend for someone starting out

install Stali :^)

Op here but from a different computer, but is it easy to use?

mint or ubuntu is a good place to start

>starting out but want to learn as much as possible
>want to manually resolve dependencies and compile kernels
Slackware
>don't want to manually resolve dependencies
Void, Gentoo

>starting out but want something that will work out of the box, has gui tools available but allows me to use the cli as well
Debian

>I am a buddhist monk and want my patience to be tested, I'm immune to frustration
Arch

>I don't want to have to fix something every 10 minutes
Ubuntu, Mint, Kubuntu

>I use Linux as a hobby and I think it's fun to tweak with the system
Debian, Arch

>I have no life
Gentoo

>I want to learn UNIX and also learn it well
FreeBSD
>I'm gay
Ubuntu
>I want something stable and just werks
Debian
>I'm here for the memes
Gentoo
>I'm ultragiga gay
Arch
>I want to be cool
Void

>not already using Arch and over customizing everything

I like Gentoo but I also have a life
>Sabayon

If you come from Windows, as someone already mentioned, get Linux Mint. Ubuntu's GUI for me was only an encumbrance that made learning how to use Linux harder than necessary

>that terminal font kerning

shilling your favourite distro: the post

>I need everything to be dark or my eyes melt because I live in a basement where the only source of light comes from my monitor

BE BLIND

For new starters, Ubuntu or Linux Mint are the only good options.

Once you feel comfortable with Linux, you can move to other OS that will suit your needs best.

This is the best answer

What's the benefit to using Arch over the other distros? Other than wanting to join a monastery.

Literally no benefit. Just a circle jerk.

The AUR and you will have a lot of fun maintaining your system.

muh bleeding edge

Ubuntu if you have no clue what you are doing, Debian otherwise.

>Gentoo
>I have no life
It's just exactly what Windows users say about Linux or system engineers. The correct answer:
>I don't know UNIX-like systems under the hood well to be able to run Gentoo on a daily basis. All I know about Linux is how to tweak xorg configs.

Arch users are free unofficial beta-testers of the Linux desktop solutions. Benefits are the first experience with CLI - if you haven't one - and the latest software packages.

Kubuntu
Gecko / openSUSE
Fedora
ZorinOS
Xubuntu
Solus

Stay away from anything arch/Slackware/gentoo based.

i need windows for university, dual boot seems mission impossible as i have ssd and hdd. Is it possible to use window programs like office, visual studio and eclipse on some linux distro?

How is it that Arch is shat on almost always for reasons that I've never encountered?

At least shit on it for actual reasons. I can't even think of anything that's broken. It just werks™

>office
WPS, Libre or Google. Or msOffice + WINE if you "need" MSO. WPS has full compatibility with proprietary formats so try that first.

>visual studio
This is pretty much windows exclusive. Linux has Visual studio code, but this is just an IDE instead of a full studio. You will probably not need visual studio itself. We use it in our college but I just use Geany at home. VS is bloat.

>eclipse
It's cross platform. There's an official Linux release.

It's ironic because Arch is a beginner distro; in the sense it makes everything simple, like the AUR, instead of manually compiling you could just yaourt/pacaur -S package-name

Well it's a little stupid there's no basic GUI or TTY auto installer by default. But arch-anywhere, antergos and manajaro exist.

>"I want/need things that are always guaranteed to work out. I don't care about the details, I just care about whether my needs/wants are catered"
>egodystonic
>very dependent
Ubuntu

>"I love to impress my family, friends, colleague and acquaintances. I have too much confidence in myself. I'm also trying hard to be a l33t haxor"
>prefers to wear shirt that are one size less or shorter pants
>is most likely a manlet and doesn't wear socks
Kali

>"I like uptime more than anything else and I prefer to choose things that are known to work than going against the flow"
>prefers the road most travelled than unknown shortcuts
>outgoing
Debian

>"I am a phantom in the stage people call 'world' and I like to use tools where I have total and absolute control over and be able to use it to its maximum"
>have total control of the 4th dimension called time and is very flexible when making tasks
>is most likely taller than average and have a very hunky body and husky voice
Gentoo

>"I am one step ahead of everybody else even with this imperfect human body. I can get things done at the end of the day - it's all that matters"
>probably below or above the average BMI
>very impatient and likes to do/fix it as fast as possible "begin last, finish first" is their favorite saying
Fedora

>"I prefer simplicity and most of all the beauty in the little things that matters and matters not"
>have total and absolute control over ego and desires
>optimal physique and very precocious while having a cute voice TL;DR u r a qt
Arch

>"I prefer to get things done but I don't want to deal with everyone's problems. I am a centrist.
>just get shit over with
>probably don't care about what is blabla or what isn't blabla
OpenSuse

>"I prefer to use technology for working or personal reasons and be able to use simple tools that will get the job done fast"
>most likely a developer or an underground fucko
>knows their shit though
*BSD (except osx)

>AUR
>pacman
>amazing documentation

I installed Arch Linux ARM on my tablet over a custom 3.4 kernel and it still works

get bent

Documentations. Nothing comes close to the Arch Wiki.

And test your patience? Nah, you don't have to be patient anymore. There's Arch Anywhere.

did you type all this?
If so, what is your autism level?

Does Kubuntu have amazon botnet like Ubuntu?

Only Unity has this. And the botnet is disabled by default.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Gecko Linux over OpenSuse?

The installation file is smaller (around 1-1.5GB vs 4.7GB). openSUSE pretty much only has a single iso packed with GNOME and KDE, while gecko splits into multiple isos each with a different DE.
Gecko can be booted into a live desktop, I think. With openSUSE you're limited to just installing it and you have to manually select what you want installed. This is good only if you know Linux.
It comes with a much easier way to use proprietary software, codecs and drivers. This is a good thing for nVidia users since libre drivers suck and perform 10x worse.
It's basically better pre-configured for newcomers, non-powerusers and non-professionals.

This one my friend