/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/bEMz0u7x
wideaperture.net/blog/?p=3851
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide#Format_the_partitions
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox#Installation_in_EFI_mode
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=158003
landoflinux.com/linux_install_archlinux_process.html
ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck GNU
Fuck RMS

I've been using ubuntu as my first distro and I've been enjoying it a lot, but I have a personal hangup with having shit I don't need and never use on my computer, even if it makes no material difference in performance or anything.

What should I install instead to assuage my autism? I've been thinking void, but I don't know that much about linux yet and don't want to have to go on a frustrating 2-hour-long googling voyage whenever I have a problem. The other option I'm looking at is a minimal ubuntu install.

What do you think?

so i fucked up and want to dual boot windows and linux instead of just run linux.

My question is how do i create a bootable for windows? The normal way to make one for gnu/linux isn't working.

>Fuck RMS
This.
Hard.

Surely, this is bait.

Fuck (You)

install gentoo and right from the start dump all the crap you don't need so you can save precious ram megabytes.

Whats that one command that installs all the 32-bit libs in Ubuntu to get native Linux vidya to run?

What the hell, kid. Seriously.

Trying to play Tyranny (GOG version that uses Wine), it's coredumping

pastebin.com/bEMz0u7x

Any ideas on how to fix it? I already installed all the 32-bit libs it asked for.

Don't hate me for playing vidya on Linux, help me because this is what is keeping people away.

Arch
Best wiki, great install guide and helpful community.
Also their motto: KISS - Keep it simple stupid
Also the distribution where everything just works for me.

try running the executable directly with wine, not using their wrapper shell script and see if it works.

It's Ubuntu 16.04 btw. I don't know if I should ask on gog's forums because I pirated it from the /t/ thread.

>Also their motto: KISS - Keep it simple stupid
then why does it use systemd?

Because it's simple, stupid.

Is it possible to use a GPU only for output and another one to do all the computing (a radeon and an old nvidia card with nouveau driver)?

I've seen a setup like this in a friend's setup (with an intel integrated and a gtx 1050) , but on windows.

Replied in old thread.
No, Void is more of a fortnightly driver. Not sure about the currently best daily driver, but if you want a 3rd day driver, go for Tanglu Linux. For a 7th day driver look into either ConnochaetOS or Linux Mangaka.

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

people say "pirating" because it's gangster style, they know it's not the piracy on the high seas

Is there a way to make 'find' print the results already sorted or do I need to add | sort?

Thanks that worked. All I had to do was install Wine-staging and run the Tyranny (not an exe, just a Linux binary) executable and it ran, but it looks like shit on my GPU.

Why is it that I can use both apt-get install & yum install when running fedora? I thought apt-get install was exclusive to debian and yum install was exclusive to fedora?

What's the reasoning in jkl; instead of hjkl as default in i3? I'm about to change it, but maybe I'm missing something?

Post output of which apt-get

even better:
file `which apt-get`

I replaced my hard drive and now my same OS takes longer to boot (30+ seconds).
The drives are the same, SATA2, 7200rpm. Only the new one has less cache, 8MB and is smaller (250GB compared to 500GB).

Does size and less cache make a difference?

Literally just because the keyboard nub is on j. You aren't missing anything, it's personal preference.

Yes they do. You can run hdparm -t on both of them and compare raw read speed. I have two HDDs with same cache size and RPM but one of them is 500G (160 MB/s) and the other is 1000G (199 MB/s).
The more cache, the better. Get the largest drive with the most cache you can afford (and at least 7200RPM) If you don't need the space favour cache.

What's the best filesystem for a 2TB SSD which I plan to use as external backup/storage?

Trying to get Rofi to read my updated $PATH. I added ~/bin to it and symlinked a binary there that is just in a standalone folder that I want to launch easily. I updated my path properly via .profile. I sourced the file from a terminal and verified it could work from there, but I don't know how to do the equivalent of 'source .profile' for rofi. It's not a daemon I can kill and restart. Can I do anything besides logging out and back in or restarting my computer entirely? I tried just typing 'source ~/.profile' into rofi and that didn't work.

Void is not a bad choice. It is more minimal than even Arch is. No pulseaudio and such even. It's pretty nice once you get it setup, too, and it's comforting to have a much lower package count.

what the hell are you talking about

I personally changed it to hjkl in my config, and moved horizontal split to mod-c. It's next to mod-v, so it still makes plenty of sense to me.

Libre AC Wifi cards when?

I'm using Debian 9 in VMware.

I originally set it up with LXDE the way I wanted it.

Over the course of several weeks I installed and compiled a bunch of software that I needed to mess with Go and Neural-Styles (Deep Learning Art Stuff).

I'm pretty much done with this, and I would like to revert Debian back to a more original install.

Is there a way I can remove all the packages I installed/compiled in the past few weeks and go back to a more original install? Without reinstalling Debian & without completely trashing the system?

I understand this wouldn't be that easy, but I would like to learn if it can be done as I often find myself in this position.

Thoughts?

I finally did it Sup Forums I pulled the trigger and installed fedora. I was not aware linux/gnome could be this comfy.

One problem I have is that I had set up my bluetooth mouse programmable buttons to control volume and refresh pages etc.

How can I do this on linux given that MadCatz doesn't have any linux support. Am I fucked?

Also is there a dark theme I could install or something along those lines?

Much obliged.

If you installed the packages from command line, you can list your previous commands with the "history" utility and grep info you want, like
history|grep "apt-get install"

Uninstall the packages you manually installed then remove their orphaned dependencies with apt-get autoremove.

>Also is there a dark theme I could install or something along those lines?
I think gnome-tweak-tool has a setting for a global dark theme on gtk apps, it should also enable you to change themes more easily.

as for your mouse buttons, if you're not using Wayland, xbindkeys should make programming your buttons possible.

if you're GNU/linux only EXT4, else NTFS

most likely never

Arch is great.

Anyone know of a way I can send a magnet link from my phone to my Debian@home and have it automatically download?

if you did some apt-get on the command line already, try debian.
It's basically ubuntu, but stable and thus less bugs.
Choose a light-weight DE (I really enjoy LXQt).

Maybe use btrfs, make a snapshot of / after installation, then you can step-by-step disable thinks, see how it affects your system, and revert if it's fatal.

Then, learn how to build the kernel from source and do it, with only the modules that you need enabled, block device and file system built-in. You can disable all the kernel debug features etc for maximum performance in ring 0.

Easier than arch and gentoo, and when you don't want to mess around anymore you can just revert and use your system.

>apt-get

It's just apt now
Don't recommend apt-get, it's unsafe

Use one of various web ui's from one of various torrent clients

Thanks user.

What if I'm looking for a Sunday driver?

Well, shit. I discarded the old one. I can't believe that the difference in read speeds can be so different when they pretty much have the same specs (RPM).

Sorry, we're God-fearing people and don't use computer on the Sabbath (I had my heathen friend write this after I dictated it to him).
As for a Monday driver, I recommend KANOTIX Linux.

You might be interested in something like sxhkd (simple X hotkey daemon), although I'm not sure it 100% fits your use case. But it could maybe lead you to figuring out how to get your mouse buttons set up.

Hi Sup Forums

Please recommend me a very slim light-weight laptop that easily runs Linux. Looking for 10" and not much thicker than say 2 tablets. Dont care if its ARM, x86, or something else. Also, specs dont need to be too good; 1GB RAM and say dual-core 1GHz can be an OK minimum. However, I would like some decent resolution, 1280x800 or 1366x768 is OK. Also want real laptop style; I want it to be able to stand upright without needing weird stands to hold the LCD up

I currently have a Toshiba AC100 running Linux. The RAM is too little at only 512MB, and the resolution is too little at 1024x600. Other than that its great

How can i control my fan speed in debian? I have tried fancontrol it doesn't work, can i control it manually?

You need a fan controller to do so

what's your startup script look like?

also nice OP get

yeah, back then when i used ubuntu, my laptop used to run smoothly without any additional software for fan but in debian it goes nuts after couple of minutes.

apt is easier to use, that doesn't make apt-get unsafe.

I'm coming from windows and I plan on installing Fedora for a week to test the waters, any tips, things to be worried about? I'm not entirely new to Linux as I've been using it on servers for years

Finally got the motivation to try it out as my most current install of windows broke after less than 30 days

Literally no idea where i should post this, but this seems like a good start.

Somebody has been letting their dog shit in our yard since I moved in. Roommate thinks it is to spite her or something, but I'm getting fucking sick of this. I don't think the apartment will do anything either.

I have a spare rPi laying around, and I'm half tempted to turn it into a little security camera I can mount in the kitchen window to try and find out who the fuck is doing this to us. Anybody have tips on getting started and what I'll need? Generally, I could have it delete footage over a day old, but I'm not sure what kind of storage solution I'd need or what else I would need to identify the person. I suppose if I can make out the breed of the dog it would be easy (since they obviously live in the complex and it is NOT a big complex by any stretch)

Any tips?

Jumper EzBook 3 Pro
Intel Apollo Lake 4x 1.1GHz, up to 2.2GHz CPU
RAM 6GB DDR3
Storage 64GB eMMC
Screen size 13.3-inch, Full HD
aluminum body (makes it look like a macbook air)
price somewhere between 200-300$

Can only recommend to experienced linux users though...
> GRUB doesn't boot on it (no bios legacy mode)
> have to use EFI stub.. the only distribution that booted was arch
> so booting arch livecd and rsync other laptop to this one, because I don't want to use arch
> touchpad didn't work, need to adjust driver settings
> tearing on the screen (probably need to file a bug report...)

You could try using a VM running Windows and configure the mouse there

Most mice have on-board memory

that doesnt sound ideal.

I mean, 13.3" is too big. I think ARM Samsung Chromebook is one option. I think its well supported for Linux, and is 11.6". I think I would consider 11.6" the max acceptable screen size

followed this guide to install arch x86_64 on virtualbox
wideaperture.net/blog/?p=3851
and at this step
# extlinux --install /boot/syslinux
it fucked up. the guide's for 64 bit, but i followed it with minor changes and got no error messages until then. the only thing i did different was this part
# cp /usr/lib/syslinux/menu.c32 .
# cp /usr/lib/syslinux/vesamenu.c32 .
# cp /usr/lib/syslinux/chain.c32 .
# cp /usr/lib/syslinux/hdt.c32 .
# cp /usr/lib/syslinux/reboot.c32 .
# cp /usr/lib/syslinux/poweroff.com .

where the files weren't in that directory and i had to change the path. extlinux told me /boot/syslinux wasn't on of the allowed formats and idk why because i followed the guide exactly until then

>the guide's for 64 bit,
i mean 32 bit. guide = 32 bit, i'm doing 64 bit

Just follow the archwiki install guide.

tried to follow that where i left off but it didn't work out either. just ended up deleting the vm and i'll start over another day. also, look at this
Create mount points for any remaining partitions and mount them accordingly, for example:

# mkdir /mnt/boot
# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot

directly followed by
Install the base packages

Use the pacstrap script to install the base package group:

# pacstrap /mnt base

if you're just following the examples that doesn't work. i'm a noob so idk all of what's going on, but pacstrap complained if you do /mnt but not /mnt/boot. it seems like a guide on installing arch linux for people who already know how to do that

>/mnt
Your mount points are all fucked
/boot should be sda1
/ should be sda2
/home should be sda3
You need to mount /dev/sd2 to /mnt first, then mount /sda1 to /mnt/boot
then pacstrap /mnt base base-devel(youll neeed it later)

Start over from scratch.Use the install guide on the arch wiki to install, not some guide by some pajeet who dosent know how to install it

>Use the install guide on the arch wiki to install, not some guide by some pajeet who dosent know how to install it
everything in code blocks is copy pasted from the arch wiki guide
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide#Format_the_partitions

so according to you the arch wiki guide you're recommending is written by pajeet who doesn't know how to install it, which i agree with

Why aren't you using native ext4 encryption on your home directory yet?

FOY

I didn't bother to read your posts closely, but maybe you're running into the VirtualBox-specific issue? VirtualBox is kind of fucked and you have to jump through some special hoops with it.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox#Installation_in_EFI_mode
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=158003

ssh and a CLI torrent client

>implying I give a shit about encrypting my memes and rare reaction images I have on my laptop

I have absolutely nothing of significance on my computer. Someone could steal it right now and i would not be concerned about my personal information at all. At best they'd get all my (you)'s.

found one for 64 bit so i'll just follow that tomorrow
landoflinux.com/linux_install_archlinux_process.html

Valid if true.

throw around small pieces of poisoned meat

How do I do that? You mean file-based encryption or something else? I think I do have the ecryptfs thing already.

Not sure if it's better to go FDE at some point though. This being a SSD.

>/boot should be sda1
>/ should be sda2
>/home should be sda3
I dont think that is true

what is preventing corps using free software into their proprietary software?
how would rms ever know?

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
>Network installer

you'll have a working base system in minutes
>skip last step of installer (don't select additional pkg groups)
reboot and install what you want

I am this guy. This new hard drive is driving me insane.

~ systemd-analyze blame
12.715s ufw.service
11.899s systemd-journal-flush.service
10.079s dev-sda2.device
2.923s systemd-udevd.service
2.102s lightdm.service

Critical-chain output:
graphical.target @20.531s
└─lightdm.service @18.428s +2.102s
└─systemd-user-sessions.service @18.345s +82ms
└─nss-user-lookup.target @18.680s
Why doesn't that mention the 12s UFW and flushing times?

Aug 20 18:56:19 masina systemd-journald[221]: Journal started
Aug 20 18:56:19 masina systemd-journald[221]: Runtime journal (/run/log/journal/abc7364583d14d91a154137860005395) is 8.0M, max 195.6M, 187.6M
Aug 20 18:56:20 masina systemd-journald[221]: Time spent on flushing to /var is 10.185197s for 644 entries.
Aug 20 18:56:20 masina systemd-journald[221]: System journal (/var/log/journal/abc7364583d14d91a154137860005395) is 72.0M, max 4.0G, 3.9G free
Is 10 seconds to write to a hard drive too long?

Can someone else using a standard SATA2, 7200rpm hard drive post his output of
>journalctl -u systemd-journald -b 0

My hard drive is pretty full, 60% occupied. My Linux partition also comes after a 50GB partition on the drive. Can that cause slower read speeds?

It is 100% true

It's complicated because there is not yet good userland tooling for it. So you have to manually hack a pam module to unlock your home dir on login. Consider the following:

auth optional pam_exec.so expose_authtok /home/add-ext4-key

#!/usr/bin/bash

/usr/bin/sudo -u $PAM_USER /usr/bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/sleep 10 & disown'
/usr/bin/sudo -u $PAM_USER /usr/bin/e4crypt add_key -k -4

Other have already told you that you're an idiot for following some random article instead of using the Wiki.

Just one stupidity, why are you using some shitty Syslinux bootloader and not GRUB?

Doesn't ubuntu have a netinstall?

i really dont think it is

you should use blkid (aka UUID), not "sda1" or whatever

>Syslinux bootloader and not GRUB
Not the user you're posting too. But syslinux is way more simple, you dont need 500 paragraphs worth of pointless config options to just fucking do a basic /boot mount

A screw has fallen out somewhere in my laptop and I can't hear it rattling around. Both times I've opened it up to try and retrive it the screw has gone stealth mode and i can't fucking hear it. Fucking linus.

i already blew the arch wiki guide tfo previously in the thread though

For user to get the basic understanding of mount points and partitioning, yes it is. And the layout is exactly how it should be. He is also doing it in a vm where there are no other hdd's

>bringing FBE to the masses
Its called dmcrypt/luks, weve had it for years.

Typical meme spreader who gets his knowledge from Sup Forums or other internet idiots.
Neither do you need it for GRUB. You can write a manual config that's 5 lines long. Also there is no reason not to just use the automatic config generator. The only reason not to do it is if you have a 1MB hard drive and you can't spare the 10KB of config space.

No, you didn't. You just admitted that you're an idiot.

it literally doesnt matter what partition any of that stuff is on. and there is no right way of doing it. you can have home on sda1, boot on sda7, and / on sdb2; it doesnt fucking matter

if you have evidence to the contrary, present it immediately

i think an objective person would agree that it got btfo but if you don't agree that's your onus

What happened to the desktop threads?

>5 lines long.
Now you're just lying.Default grub.cfg is 279 lines long

You want /boot at the start of the hdd for seek times.You want system to be the second partition so you can maximize space for your /home partition. Its been this way for over 40 years.

>block layer encryption
>file system layer encryption
study the difference