>can't install Gentoo
0/10

Second life isn't a game

you need to go back

Worlds or gtfo

Yeah it's a trash

it kinda was.
It was released 14 years ago and people still use it for gay bdsm furry sex

I tried to play it 4-5 years ago and it was a bug ridden mess.

It looked like hog shit, but that's to be expected from a game built entirely on user-created content, many companies fail to make compelling content using controlled resources and advance knowledge of how that content will propagate to thousands of users.

It was, and still is for the most part
Its prime was about 5 years ago though, social media killed most social avatar games

I still play it though, got a lot of friends there ive known for a long time

Because the people who played it weren't successful in real life

there's probably still a market for it, gtav roleplay is big rn

Fits right in here then.

The real reason is that it is too complex. Look at the new players of todays app generation. They cannot even figure out how to change clothes.

it feels like 90s internet in the sense its a giant user created mess. its comfy in that respect

Servers are very lagged, that was a main reason I don't play this "game" (I've tried 2 times)

as someone said - t's not a game - more like a interactive avatar chatroom

what is it then
>inb4 meme buzzwords

You are right, it's outright shit in digital form.

I can just as well rollplay as a cute girl on Sup Forums

uncanny erp'ing

Because it wasn't designed for normies.

works for her

VR wasn't capable at the time

It was very successful, but not your lifetime.

how is sl faring these days

is this pile of shit still around

no trash belongs in

Install CloverOS faggot

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20170820.iso

First of all, let's define "successful".
It's making money. A lot of it. It'll continue to make a profit no matter how small the population is, because the servers themselves are paid for by the players that bought them. There's still many players now and they continue to spend big sums of money in-game. So financially I guess it was a success.

Mechanically, it didn't achieve what it sought out to do, and I can think of some reasons why. It very much wanted to let anyone do anything, and it just about did by design. Sadly, the negatives associated with letting people do ""anything"" were very severe and not accounted for. I can hardly blame them either, no one had ever made something that flexible before, so they had no experience to go on. Over the years they fixed various things but it was too late, and they couldn't change the very core of the engine anymore, without losing support for everything everyone had made.

Communities are still active and I log on most days. It's a miracle that something that released over a dozen years ago runs as well as this still does, but the engine is showing its age and I truly wish it could start anew with all its lessons learned. Linden Labs' next project, Sansar, shows no promise, and the open beta makes me believe that the company is sadly not much wiser after all this time.